Sequels Spider-Man Film Universe? Spin-offs? Avengers?

Da Games Elite

Civilian
Reaction score
Hey, this has been bugging me for quite awhile since the most recent discussion on the Venom movie came up. What I took from the producer's statements was that, because of the Avengers' success, they wanted to make a Venom film to expand Spidey's universe a bit. It sounded like they wanted to try making it so that they could produce spin-offs to Spider-Man, to make his universe sorta like the Avengers...before inevitably combining the two, since it seems more likely that Sony and Marvel Studios wants to bring Spidey into the team-up series.

So I started wondering what that entailed.

So they want to make spin-offs. Venom is the obvious choice since he's a very popular character, is similar to Spider-Man, and would be a good dark version of Spidey to complement the probably more light hearted main series. Inevitably, they'd probably have "cross-over" events in some of the films. Still, what about other Spidey characters who could have spin-off films? Like a Black Cat spin-off? Or--dare I say it?--Scarlet Spider, if we get that far? Would this be a welcomed idea, or would it be something we cringe about in years to come? Additionally, if this larger Spidey universe comes to fruition, if Spider-Man was taken into the Avengers, would it just be Spider-Man, or would his entire extended universe come along for the ride? Would this be a good chance to have the Iron Spider suit implemented? Or the Iron Patriot? What is the likelihood of any of this even happening at all?

I feel this is too big of an issue to just ignore. So...discuss.

I would like for Spider-Man to make a small appearance in the final battle of the Avengers, but not to actually join the team. It would be more of a "special guest appearance," but nothing more. Unless of course Marvel gets back the film rights, then I say let them create their own version of the character and tie him in somehow.

I don't think spin-offs are a good idea. *Cough* Elektra *Cough* Everything about Venom ties into Spider-Man, and notice how all of his comic series are short-lived, such as "Lethal Protector."

What they should do is just continue making Spider-Man movies, even if Andrew Garfield leaves. Marvel Studios said that they would continue making Iron Man films without Robert Downey Jr., kind of like a James Bond thing. There are so many fabulous stories to tell with Spider-Man, that spin-offs are so unnecessary. They can go into the Venom Saga, Maximum Carnage, The Clone Sage (yes I said it), symbiote invasions, the Peter/MJ wedding, the Sinister Six, Mysterio, Best of Enemies (Harry as the Green Goblin--not NEW GOBLIN), Kraven's Last Hunt, and SO MUCH MORE.

I understand why they had to reboot Spider-Man. The 2002 film was one of the first superhero/CBM to really get the ball rolling after Bryan Singer's X-Men. It did not plan well for the future, and the stories were made for each individual movie (other than the Harry Osborn revenge story). They could have easily had Otto Octavious arrested instead of killed at the end of SM2. By SM3, they couldn't really make that many more movies without going stale. But with Marc Webb's reboot, we are finally seeing a story arc that is being introduced which will allow for proper planning of sequels. After this trilogy, I think they should "expand" the universe, rather than reboot it AGAIN (once again this is assuming that SONY will still have the rights and not the MCU). As comic books continued to be made, new artists would come along, and change the appearance of Peter Parker. If they change the actor for the movies, its kind of like the same thing. As long as he sticks around for a couple of films and doesn't quit after 1 film.

Probably the only spin offs they'll make is Venom and Black Cat, but I think it should be after there characters appear in the TASM trilogy.

Well, maybe not Black Cat because they could have her in her beginning years and then at the end it could show her going to NY for more contracts or whatever she's hired for.

Venom definately needs to be introduced in TASM first. He can't be made before Peter has the suit.

I would like for Spider-Man to make a small appearance in the final battle of the Avengers, but not to actually join the team. It would be more of a "special guest appearance," but nothing more. Unless of course Marvel gets back the film rights, then I say let them create their own version of the character and tie him in somehow.

I don't think spin-offs are a good idea. *Cough* Elektra *Cough* Everything about Venom ties into Spider-Man, and notice how all of his comic series are short-lived, such as "Lethal Protector."

What they should do is just continue making Spider-Man movies, even if Andrew Garfield leaves. Marvel Studios said that they would continue making Iron Man films without Robert Downey Jr., kind of like a James Bond thing. There are so many fabulous stories to tell with Spider-Man, that spin-offs are so unnecessary. They can go into the Venom Saga, Maximum Carnage, The Clone Sage (yes I said it), symbiote invasions, the Peter/MJ wedding, the Sinister Six, Mysterio, Best of Enemies (Harry as the Green Goblin--not NEW GOBLIN), Kraven's Last Hunt, and SO MUCH MORE.

I understand why they had to reboot Spider-Man. The 2002 film was one of the first superhero/CBM to really get the ball rolling after Bryan Singer's X-Men. It did not plan well for the future, and the stories were made for each individual movie (other than the Harry Osborn revenge story). They could have easily had Otto Octavious arrested instead of killed at the end of SM2. By SM3, they couldn't really make that many more movies without going stale. But with Marc Webb's reboot, we are finally seeing a story arc that is being introduced which will allow for proper planning of sequels. After this trilogy, I think they should "expand" the universe, rather than reboot it AGAIN (once again this is assuming that SONY will still have the rights and not the MCU). As comic books continued to be made, new artists would come along, and change the appearance of Peter Parker. If they change the actor for the movies, its kind of like the same thing. As long as he sticks around for a couple of films and doesn't quit after 1 film.

I really, really agree with you on this! I think Andrew is willing to do more films and then when he's done someone who is excellent can do it. It's not bad for Peter to get older. But I'd probably want him to get up to 30. Maybe even have May Parker, his daughter.

I really, really agree with you on this! I think Andrew is willing to do more films and then when he's done someone who is excellent can do it. It's not bad for Peter to get older. But I'd probably want him to get up to 30. Maybe even have May Parker, his daughter.
:) In the comics, I don't remember how much older Peter Parker got, but he did graduate college and became a teacher. The only thing with May Parker is that she exists in the "What if...?" universe, but I guess they can let that slide. Originally Green Goblin poisoned MJ and the baby was never born.

I mentioned this before, but I think they should work on an animated theatrical film.

Honestly, I'd prefer them also to just keep going with films. I mean, there are so many amazing stories they can adapt into the films. Inevitably, there'll need to be recasts, but I feel that, for Spidey, it's worth it to get some great stories out there. Besides, they can probably go awhile with the same crew they have now. By 2014, there will be seven X-Men films, but Hugh Jackman is still Wolverine. They can last awhile so much as Garfield is enthusiastic, and he sounds a lot more eager to play Spidey than Tobey did.

Plus, with Raimi's Spider-Man films, they were just testing new ground. Superhero films weren't nearly as big as they are now. Plus, to be fair, the Raimi films didn't get a lot of things, like how to write Mary Jane. Since they're starting with Gwen, I feel they can do a lot with the future. I'd love to see Kraven's Last Hunt and Maximum Carnage on screen, personally, or even the Clone Saga (if condensed and better written, it could be great, especially now that Gwen is in the film series. The Jackal is a really underrated villain, imo).

Still, I kinda want to see spin-offs too, but mainly to establish things that they don't have time to in the films. I feel that the best kind of spin-offs would be side-stories that build up to bigger stories. For example, have a Venom spin-off that builds up Carnage. That way, if they were to do a Maximum Carnage spin-off, it would have more weight to it, more power. If they introduce Black Cat, they could have her learn about some bigger threat that they'd introduce fully in a later film. That way, if there's a big event, they could save time they'd need to spend introducing some of the big characters.

As for the Avengers...I'd like to see him somewhere in there too, especially for giant crisis events. He doesn't need to be a part of the Avengers, but he should be part of it.

I think if they want to do anything like a spin-off for Venom, they could make a video game for the character that ties into the movie. That way it wouldn't really make that much of an impact on the movies in case it fails.

I think if they want to do anything like a spin-off for Venom, they could make a video game for the character that ties into the movie. That way it wouldn't really make that much of an impact on the movies in case it fails.
Hmmm, but what if it succeeds? Most audiences wouldn't see a spin-off game, so, if it becomes a success and they try to connect it to the movies, that might cause issues.

Hmmm, but what if it succeeds? Most audiences wouldn't see a spin-off game, so, if it becomes a success and they try to connect it to the movies, that might cause issues.
If the game succeeds, then it succeeds. It would have connections with the movie to begin with. But in the end, if it fails, then chances are people would just forget about it like they did with Web of Shadows and Shattered Dimensions. I mean, who really goes around saying Spider-Man sucks because of those video games?

Well, they were considering having Oscorp tower from TASM in the NYC skyline in The Avengers... so make of that what you will.

I don't think it'd be crazy to think that TASM is unofficially in the MCU at this point.

If SONY and Marvel can get to an agreement they could potencially help each other get even more money out of their franchises

Well now that the Avengers was so successful, SONY definitely wants some involvement.

Just wondering, do you guys think that it could have been Marvel that didn't want Sony to get a piece of the huge amounts of money that they were expecting from The Avengers, instead of Sony refusing to make agreements?

Just wondering, do you guys think that it could have been Marvel that didn't want Sony to get a piece of the huge amounts of money that they were expecting from The Avengers, instead of Sony refusing to make agreements?
I'm sure Sony refused. Marvel would want Spider-Man in their movies...

Yeah, probably Sony dragging their feet. I feel that Sony just didn't act quick enough. Osborn Towers was almost in the Avengers, so that implies that Sony and Marvel did, eventually, start talking. If they just acted sooner, like approached Marvel early in pre-production, then things might've been different.

Still, if the Amazing Spider-Man is successful, I think both parties will be more interested in talking about it long before Avengers 2.

Honestly, I would do things that are probably illegal in most states if it meant I could see the Amazing Spider-Man universe join the Marvel Cinematic Universe. That is, of course, if the new movie is good. If it's not at least as good as like, Thor or Captain America (love those movies btw, not a dig at them) hen I would rather the rights pass back to Marvel, even though that'll never happen.

Assuming the new Spidey movie is decent, teaming up with the Avengers seems only natural to me. I wouldn't even need him to become an official Avenger, maybe just in af few scenes. Even passing references to Spidey in other MCU movies would make that universe so much bigger, I get excited even thinking about it. Spider-man is by far my favorite comic book character, so seeing him join my comic book film universe would just be awesome.

And yeah, from a business standpoint, I think both companies could profit, but I think it is a much more delicate situation that most on this thread are giving it credit for.

And about the Venom spinoff? Well, I'm just not buying it completely. It would be cool to expand Spidey's personal universe, but I'm just not sure that Venom (or any of Spidey's supporting cast) could carry a film without Spider-man. More than anything, it makes me nervous that Sony is trying to compete with the MCU rather than join it... Which would be an unbelievably stupid business decision in my opinion.

I think that it is best for the new Spider-man franchise to spread forward rather than outward. I don't want a reboot every 10 years. I want a Spider-man who has battled most of his rouge gallery on screen. If that means taking a James Bond approach (changing actors between films) I think it could work, as long as they kept continuity a little tighter.

I know that statement sort of contradicts my earlier excitement about seeing Spidey in the MCU, but I would really like to see both happen.

Also, slightly off topic, but is anyone else kind of relived that X-men are owned by Fox? I feel like Marvel would try to cram them into the MCU, and it seems like that would be a disaster. Kinda feel the same about Fantastic Four, there are only so many heroes who can operate in New York in the movies (I think Daredevil would be cool though).

Anyway, yeah, excited (and a little nervous) to see where this all goes. I feel like the success of the Avengers really opened a lot of doors. I wonder who will walk through them?

Since Sony is doing really poorly business wise, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to work with Marvel Studios.

I'm sure Sony refused. Marvel would want Spider-Man in their movies...

I definitely think Sony refused, but I wouldn't immediately say Marvel would want Spidey right away, especially in "Phase One". I think Marvel really did try to just stick with the essential characters for the Avengers and then spread their wings with the future of the MCU.

I definitely think Sony refused, but I wouldn't immediately say Marvel would want Spidey right away, especially in "Phase One". I think Marvel really did try to just stick with the essential characters for the Avengers and then spread their wings with the future of the MCU.
They did a pretty decent job of making lesser known characters more popular (like Thor and Captain America). But for phase two or three I could definitely see them including Spider-Man somehow. Also, not every MCU film has to be part of an "Avengers" movie. They can do Secret Wars, Civil War, Secret Invasion, etc. So many Marvel movies that could be made!

Next thing people will cry about is having a Marvel/DC crossover film. Its funny how many people in the theater thought that Thanos was Doomsday from Superman. SMH. LMAO

Well, there could be a Guardians of the Galaxy that has to do nothing with Avengers, but I don't think we'll be seeing a movie taking on such a huge event and it not being tied to Avengers in some way.

Well, there could be a Guardians of the Galaxy that has to do nothing with Avengers, but I don't think we'll be seeing a movie taking on such a huge event and it not being tied to Avengers in some way.
What I am saying is that the movie could include the Avengers, but it doesn't have to be about that team taking on another villain or something. It could go beyond that, and use the other story lines that I mentioned.

FilmNerdJamie just posted this a link to this article on his Twitter account. Do you guys think that he might be doing some homework or does he simply enjoy reading The Avengers comics? Either way, I just thought it was interesting....

article-0-13D3474C000005DC-996_468x644.jpg

Here is said article.....http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2165929/Spider-Man-star-Andrew-Garfield-spotted-bundle-Avengers-comics.html

He said he likes the Avengers movie, so he probably just got interested in the comic books, that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"