Sequels Venom spin-off: Happening or not?

Picard Sisko

Prepare to be Assimilated
Reaction score
After Spider-Man 3, there was talk of a Venom spin-off film happening, but with Spider-Man 4 being cancelled and a reboot being announced, it seems like the film had been put in development hell. In 2012, Josh Trank (Chronicle) was in talks to direct the movie, but later revealed he would be working on the Fantastic Four reboot that will be released in 2015. Since then, no new news has been announced. However, this shows that Sony was in fact searching for a director, and does not mean that it WON'T happen. At least, it won't happen anytime soon.

Here let's discuss whether or not a Venom spin-off film would actually happen, and what you would expect from it.

I think Sony realised that it wouldn't work. It would make no money.

I think Sony realised that it wouldn't work. It would make no money.
Not necessarily. I think its just too early to make a Venom film. The symbiote and Eddie Brock need to be established in one of the Spider-Man films before Venom can get his own movie.

I don't personally think he's that interesting of a character to have his own film.

Sony is clearly playing for the long term with Amazing Spider-Man. They plan on establishing spin-offs and stuff, so it's clear that, if they feel they can make more money off of Spidey, they'll make a Venom spin-off.

However, I feel they'll establish Venom first, and not just present him fully formed as a main character in a film.

If they show Flash having military commitments through dialogue at their high school graduation in 2, show his legs being amputated or blown off in 3, then I can see a Venom spin-off.

They'd have to have someone with the symbiote before to explain the government having taken control of it though.

Before they make a Venom spin-off they need to establish the character better in a Spider-Man film. What we saw in S3 isn't going to encourage the GA to watch a Venom movie, IMO.

Before they make a Venom spin-off they need to establish the character better in a Spider-Man film. What we saw in S3 isn't going to encourage the GA to watch a Venom movie, IMO.

I think the GA forgot about Spidey 3 altogether tho.

I think the GA forgot about Spidey 3 altogether tho.
No, the GA does remember it. But as long as they don't associate that film with the current franchise, then I think we should be okay.

It looks like Sony is in fact mapping out what could be a Spider-Man cinematic universe. Sean O'Connel, who wrote the article about the idea that was later re-tweeted by Marc Webb with "Think Bigger..." just did an interview with the director. Here is the article:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Amaz...ns-Internet-Rumors-Thinking-Bigger-38620.html

Here is one quote that stood out to me:

That said, we are trying to create a world that feels a little bit more nuanced and a little bit bigger and I think there are a lot of characters in the Spider-Man universe that could justify their own movies. And I get really excited and titillated by that possibility. The reality of that is sort of dependent on a lot of factors that are sort of beyond my control, but certainly there is a lot of conversation that goes on behind closed doors about how to give life to that.

I wonder what characters he is referring to exactly.

No, the GA does remember it. But as long as they don't associate that film with the current franchise, then I think we should be okay.

Regardless of whether they do or don't, that's the only cinematic version of Venom they've ever seen... someone has to prove the character can be done better before they'll sign on for a solo film, I think.

Regardless of whether they do or don't, that's the only cinematic version of Venom they've ever seen... someone has to prove the character can be done better before they'll sign on for a solo film, I think.
Nobody is arguing against that. I do agree, Venom has to be introduced in a Spider-Man film before he gets his own film, which I think is going to be the case.

I'd say let two Venom movies happen, and possibly the Black Cat spin-off.

Venom, Venom: Lethal Protector, and The Black Cat all movies that are standalone but also tie in well to The Amazing Spider-Man franchise.

The first couple of Venom films could be Eddie Brock, and then perhaps it could move on to Flash getting the symbiote.

Today, audiences expect BIG movies, especially after the Avengers, and the conclusion to the Dark Knight trilogy.

For Spidey, it seems like they are leading up to a Sinister Six film. But what other things could they do afterwards, especially if we include Venom? How about a symbiote invasion film? Only issue is that would be a hit or a miss IMO.

I agree with most here. Have Venom in a Spidey film first,then do a spinoff. But I'm rather shocked people don't think he could carry his own film. I believe he most certainly can. There's so many direction s a Venom film could go. Honestly,though,I've never been a fan of Venom being the anti-hero. I want him evil and vicious,but if he stars in his own film or series would that work? Having a villain as the main character? I think it could. That's what has happened with characters like Freddy,Jason,Dracula;etc.

I'm fine with a Venom spin-off as long as they establish the character in a Spider-Man film.

http://www.craveonline.com/film/int...con-2013-matt-tolmach-on-amazing-spider-man-2

In this interview with Matt Tolmach, the interviewer asks him about a possible Venom movie. Here is his response:

There’s nothing formal or official, but it’s always been a dream to make that movie. We’re just not there yet. Right now we’re sort of fixated on this. But is there a sense that down the road things are going to happen? Sure.

I think it will happen eventually, but I'm glad to hear that Sony is not rushing it to make some quick cash. They will make a Venom movie when they feel its the right time.

IDK, why should any comic book movie be made?

I don't think Venom as a character warrants his own movie, nor would a Venom movie be anything worth more than one watch out of light curiosity.

The only reason I think they shouldn't do this is because spin-off's for comic book movies have failed miserably.

Supergirl
Catwoman
Elektra

There's other non comic book movies that just haven't worked. They need to be careful with this if they're going to do it.

The only reason I think they shouldn't do this is because spin-off's for comic book movies have failed miserably.

Supergirl
Catwoman
Elektra

There's other non comic book movies that just haven't worked. They need to be careful with this if they're going to do it.
That is the only concern that I have. Otherwise I think Venom can justify his own film, and I think he is a great character. Doing this movie right is going to be a big challenge, and I don't think it should be rushed.

Apparently Alexander Kurtzman and Roberto Orci are big Venom fans. They want to see him come to the big screen again at some point. :)

[YT]zW42U4oM_lk[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"