Comics Spider-man is meeting Stan Lee in September.

Electro UK

Can't all be for nothing
Reaction score
Stan Lee Meets...
by Michael Doran
You really have to question Marvel Enterprises’ labor practices. While most large companies would be celebrating an employee’s 65th Anniversary with them with a fancy dinner and gold watch, Marvel is putting their Chairman Emeritus back to work…
In September Stan Lee is writing the main feature for five brand new self-contained one-shots. Entitled Stan Lee Meets, the specials’ main stories will feature five of Stan the Man’s greatest creations – Spider-Man (drawn by Olivier Coipel), The Thing (Lee Weeks), Dr. Doom (Salvador Larroca), Dr. Strange (Alan Davis), and Silver Surfer (Mike Wieringo), respectively, each actually meeting their maker…literally, not figuratively.
As the titles suggest, each character actually meets Stan Lee himself, in a story written by Lee himself.
"2006 represents Stan's 65h year as an employee of Marvel, so rather than putting him in for mandatory retirement, we're choosing to honor him and his work in this way," the project’s editor Tom Brevoort told Newsarama.
Brevoort described the creative conceit behind the specials and the stories as "deliberately a little bit bent"…
"Did you see Stan water the lawn in X-Men: The Last Stand"? asked the editor, tongue planted firmly in cheek. "How could we ever possibly compete with that kind of searing drama on the printed page? No, we had to play to our strengths…"
Leaving no stone unturned, we asked Brevoort how these stories fit into the Marvel tapestry? Does Stan crossover from the "real" universe to the Marvel Universe to meet his creations? Vice versa?
"Wow, I feel like I'm on the Internet or something," the editor astutely responded. "I think you're giving these stories a bit too much thought in terms of trying to figure out how they fit into the overall superstructure of the Marvel Universe.
"These tales are pretty much Stan having fun, bouncing off of the characters he created, and having them bounce off of him. So Spidey will seek out Stan for advice about the sorry state of his personal life, Doctor Doom will call Stan on the carpet for slandering him in the books all these years, and Galactus will summon Stan to try to put a sock in the depressing lamentations of the Silver Surfer."
And as to how these five characters were chosen? "Stan chose 'em, simple as that," explained Brevoort. "I said, ‘five stories, Stan, five characters - who do you want?’ And three minutes later, we had a list."
But the celebration of Stan does not end there. In addition to the main Stan-written “Meets” feature, each one-shot will also include two additional features (and in some cases even more than that), including a reprint of a classic Stan-written story featuring the main character of each respective special, and a “back-up” story featuring some of today’s top creators paying tribute to the living Marvel legend.

Those creative teams up-to-the-moment include Joss Whedon and Michael Gaydos in the Stan Lee Meets Spider-Man special; Brian Bendis and Mark Bagley (Dr. Strange); veteran Roy Thomas and Scott Kolins (The Thing); Jeph Loeb and an artist-to-be-named (Dr. Doom); and Paul Jenkins and an artist-to-be-named in Stan Lee Meets Silver Surfer.

Full story: http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/StanLee/StanMeets.html

Awesomeness, Lee going back to Spidey for one GREAT issue, cannot wait.

What's also awesome is Whendon on a Spidey story... thank you Jesus.

Sounds like fun. I'll probably get them all except for the one with the Surfer.

This sucked in the cartoon, It will suck again.

Sounds kind of interesting. I think that I'll only be getting the Spider-Man one, of course.

But what saddens me is that in the ode to Stan part of the Spidey book you've got Whedon/Gaydos. While both are awesome in their own respect...what's up with the Bagley love? :(

Switch Gaydos out on the Spidey one with Bags from the Doctor Strange one and I'll be happy.

But I'm...just sad. :(

I'll buy the Spidey and maybe the Dr. Doom. aside from that...nothin'.

SpideyInATree said:
Sounds kind of interesting. I think that I'll only be getting the Spider-Man one, of course.

But what saddens me is that in the ode to Stan part of the Spidey book you've got Whedon/Gaydos. While both are awesome in their own respect...what's up with the Bagley love? :(

Switch Gaydos out on the Spidey one with Bags from the Doctor Strange one and I'll be happy.

But I'm...just sad. :(

I agree.
Bags should draw a Stan Lee written issue.

ben_reilly_s_s said:

I actually enjoyed that episode in the cartoon. Was that the last episode of it as well, where Madme Web was sending him back to go save MJ or something? Thought it was a pretty good send off having him go and talk with Stan Lee.

Can't wait to read these issues.

Effect said:
I actually enjoyed that episode in the cartoon. Was that the last episode of it as well, where Madme Web was sending him back to go save MJ or something? Thought it was a pretty good send off having him go and talk with Stan Lee.

Yes it was the last episode.

Effect said:

Yep, it was the last episode and I thought it was a great idea.

Man, the 90's had the greatest comic hero cartoons -- X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman, Superman.

Sucks they don't make them like those anymore.:(

I will get the spidey one since it's written by Stan the man... Nothing beats Stan...

ben_reilly_s_s said:

Yea well mate, it's not about a great story, it's about silly fun.

This is just to show the love for Stan, his creations, his world, and how all our lives have changed in someway from a guy just writing the funny strips the way he saw fit back in the 60's.

Anything prasing Stan, (or the other genius') from back in the day is a good idea to me. It's gonna be stupid, funny, and sweet, I'll pick some of these up:up:

This is BS. How are they going to deal with continuity?!

LOL, JK. :D

I think these will be great fun. I'm looking forward to the Spidey one. :spidey:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"