Comics Spider-Man News/Previews Thread

CrimeMaster!

Civilian
Reaction score
Hey figure I would start a thread where news or previews of upcoming Spider-Man comic stuff could be posted in.

The Real Venom Returns
Exclusive Interview & Preview: Eddie Brock slithers back into Peter Parker's life. Will he die trying to torment his enemy?
by Richard George

If you're reading this article, we'll assume you're a Venom fan on some level. Some of you might only be fond of the character's visual flair, some might worship every issue featuring Eddie Brock - even Lethal Protector. We're pretty sure you went into Spider-Man 3 with high hopes, expecting to see your favorite anti-Spidey wreaking havoc upon New York. Sadly you only had 20 minutes to spend with Mr. Brock. We've heard from many fans on the topic of Sam Raimi's Venom, and there seems to be a large percentage of you that were dissatisfied with how this character was treated (honestly, we were fine with the screen time, but what do we know). You wanted more Venom, and you weren't satisfied with Mac Gargan in Thunderbolts nor Topher Grace's portrayal.

Thankfully Marvel Comics has your answer - for a couple months at least. Starting in June, Eddie Brock is returning to Spider-Man's world. Writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is handling Venom's fate in the pages of Sensational Spider-Man. And wait until you read what our symbiotic fiend is up to. Also be sure to check out pages by artist Lee Weeks from Sensational #38. They can be found throughout the remainder of this article. IGN recently had a chance to sit down with Aguirre-Sacasa to chat about Spidey's life, but more importantly, Venom's.

IGN Comics: We thought we might start off with a few "generic" Spidey questions before moving into what's coming up in Sensational. A few weeks ago I checked in with the Marvel editors on these topics, so I'm curious what your take on some of these issues will be. What's your first memory of Spider-Man? What were the first issues that hooked you on the character?

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: My first memory of Spider-Man was probably not the comic book… It was probably the cartoon show, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends… maybe the older cartoon. I also definitely remember playing with the Mego Spider-Man action figures. I also definitely remember… well, I have pictures anyway, that I had these Spider-Man pajamas that I would wear all the time - not just at night, but during the day as well.

Issue #38 Cover

Page 1

So those are my first memories of him. I definitely remember that when I was a kid I would read Spider-Man comics. I didn't read religiously. It was whatever was kind of attracted me on the cover. I remember reading Todd McFarlane's run with David Michelinie on Amazing Spider-Man. I did read that religiously. I would also read Web in the late '80s. Beyond that I'd pick up individual issues based on who the villain was.

IGN Comics: Spider-Man's marriage to Mary Jane. Do you think it's a good or bad element? Does it matter in terms of Spidey's appeal to younger fans?

Aguirre-Sacasa: My answer to that is that I'm a big fan of Mary Jane Watson, so I think that I take a more sympathetic view to the marriage than a lot of people do. As far as kids not being able to identify with Peter Parker, I do feel that as a core character Spider-Man started out as one thing, a 16-year-old kid, and more than any other iconic character, has changed. What I mean by that is that Bruce Wayne is still living in Wayne Manor with Alfred, whereas Peter Parker is at least ten years older. He's married. To me there are other core elements - his decency, his optimism, his refusal to surrender in the face of adversity - that are as important as him being Midtown High's professional wallflower. I think that's what draws people as much as whether or not he's married. So I don't think there's a big disconnect happening, but I know that's just me and I know other people think different things.

IGN Comics: When you heard about the unmasking and the plans for Aunt May, with the shooting, and then the potential for Aunt May or Mary Jane being removed from Peter's regular life, were you concerned about these fairly radical changes to the character? Were you convinced pretty quickly or did you think it was craziness?

Aguirre-Sacasa: I came board Sensational right before all these radical changes started. First there was the costume change with "Iron Spider" and then all these further complications in his life. I have to say I didn't think there would be much room for me to express resistance to these ideas since they were company-wide. The thing is, all of this has made it a very interesting time to be working on Spider-Man. So I kind of got on board for the ride and hung on.

Truthfully, with some very minor exceptions, I pretty much told the kinds of stories I wanted to tell. It's not like I've had to radically rethink them. In fact the unmasking has led to some of the best stories in me in my run. So generally speaking, although it has been kind of crazy, I feel like I've been very lucky to be working on Spider-Man at such an exciting time.

Page 2

IGN Comics: You just mentioned a sense of optimism being a core element of the character. Do you feel Peter has become too dark as a result of all these changes?

Aguirre-Sacasa: No… I think… well, you know how they say that sometimes very bad things happen to very good people? I think Peter has, over the last 40 years, has learned how to bounce back. Tragedy is not rare for this character. I think he's always bounced back. Now, that said, he seems to be in an extreme place right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he was pushed to extremes we haven't seen before. But I believe in Peter Parker. I believe in his optimism. I believe that whatever the world throws at him that he will somehow pull himself through it intact. At least I hope so…

IGN Comics: Obviously we can't go into spoiler territory, otherwise Jim McCann will kill me, but how would you characterize Spider-Man's future? Darker? Dark now with a light at the end of a tunnel?

Aguirre-Sacasa: I feel like… I wouldn't be able to characterize the future in such dark terms. I feel like it has been a pretty relentless couple of years for Peter. I think that's going to loosen a bit, but I think it's going to allow for some lighter and darker elements to come into play. But I hope that his time through the ringer is winding down.

IGN Comics: One last generic question - your favorite villain?

Aguirre-Sacasa: I think my favorite villain, for sentimental reasons, would be the Lizard.

IGN Comics: That's a bit of an unusual choice… why that character?

Aguirre-Sacasa: I think people always remember the early Spider-Man stuff they read in the comics. Like I said, I remember vividly being a kid and reading through some of Todd McFarlane's Lizard storylines. I also liked the Lizard because he looked slightly monstrous and horrific. I've always been drawn to horror and things like that. He's also seemed more tragic than some of the other villains.

IGN Comics: Let's move on to the Venom arc, "The Last Temptation of Eddie Brock." Why don't you run through the basic details of the arc for us?

Aguirre-Sacasa: First off, I have to credit my editor, Warren Simons, who really took a look at the Spidey landscape and said, "You know, we haven't heard much about Eddie Brock since he gave up his symbiote to the Scorpion. We don't know what he's doing or what he feels about the unmasking." So props to Warren. I was going to tell a very different story in this slot actually.

So basically the context is that Aunt May is in a coma in a hospital, fighting for her life. The last time we saw Eddie Brock was in an issue of Amazing where we saw him in a hospital bed, weakened from cancer. He watched Peter unmask in front of the whole world. So I thought, "Well what if Eddie Brock and Aunt May were in the same hospital? What if Eddie Brock discovered that Aunt May, one of the greatest figures in his enemy's life, was maybe two doors down and helpless? What would Eddie do about that?" And it kind of started from there.

Page 4

Page 7

So I started to think about what happens when a person knows they're going to die, or thinks they are about to die, anyway. Does that bring out extremes in their personality? What does that concept do in other words? I've also always wanted to write a gothic horror story set in a creepy hospital, those creepy horror films like Visiting Hours or whatever. So I really wanted to tell a story about a killer stalking a victim in a hospital and really creep that out. So that's the tenor of this spookier arc.

IGN Comics: This plot point was written before you came on board of course, but why do you think Eddie was willing to give up the suit in the first place? Wasn't it an integral part of him? Will you address how he survived that separation?

Aguirre-Sacasa: Well, I think he hasn't survived that well actually, without the symbiotic half. In fact he's been psychologically damaged in ways that we're only beginning to understand.

IGN Comics: We haven't seen him in quite some time aside from that brief appearance in Amazing. How would you characterize him physically and emotionally? Is he the same person people remember?

Aguirre-Sacasa: He's fighting to be the same person he was before - meaning he wants to be able to value innocents like Aunt May. I do think he's in the worst shape that we've ever seen him. He's hobbling around like an old man at the start of the arc. He's plagued with horrific, murderous thoughts in a way he wasn't before, I don't think. He's in rough shape.

IGN Comics: Start of the arc? What might be his condition towards the end of it? Can you elaborate on that at all?

Aguirre-Sacasa: Hmmm… I feel like maybe that's a no comment…

IGN Comics: But the cancer is still around then?

Aguirre-Sacasa: Absolutely. He's in the terminal ward of the hospital.

IGN Comics: How has his perception of the world and Peter changed? Is he really angry with Peter?

Aguirre-Sacasa: Oh yeah, incredibly. Incredibly. In a twisted way, he blames everything that's gone wrong in his life on Peter.

IGN Comics: With everything in Peter's life being what it is, will he even care about Eddie's current situation? Does Aunt May's tragic situation affect his feelings in any way, perhaps making him more sympathetic?

Unfortunately, because of the circumstances where they come together in the issue, there really isn't an opportunity for Peter to investigate his feelings towards Eddie.

IGN Comics: What does Eddie think of Tony Stark's new world order? What does he think of the Thunderbolts?

Aguirre-Sacasa: I will say that Eddie is so focused, his world view is so shuttered right now, as he's in the hospital and about to die, that I don't think he's thinking much about registration.

IGN Comics: Will Mac Gargan, the Scorpion, factor into this situation at all?

Aguirre-Sacasa: Ummm… I'm not going to comment on that one.

IGN Comics: The Million Dollar Question: Will Eddie Brock become Venom or some derivation of Venom? We've seen a cover of him as Venom. Should people take that image literally?

Aguirre-Sacasa: I would say that no matter who is wearing the suit, Eddie will always be Venom. Do you know what I mean? I really believe that.

Page 8

Issue #39 Cover

IGN Comics: Will we see a confrontation between Peter/Spider-Man and/or Eddie/Venom?

Aguirre-Sacasa: Yes.

IGN Comics: Where does Mary Jane fit into this storyline? She's often been at Aunt May's bedside while Peter is seeking revenge.

Aguirre-Sacasa: One of the other things that's happening in this issue is that a bunch of people are trying to reach Aunt May's consciousness. Mary Jane is a part of that séance.

IGN Comics: Will this arc redefine Eddie's current situation or status within the Marvel Universe? Will we see him entering a new chapter of sorts?

Aguirre-Sacasa: That's a very good question… I don't know that it's necessarily going to redefine how he is. More than doing that, it sort of fills in a blank on what he's been thinking and what he's been doing. He himself has redefined his role in the Marvel Universe. I do think that after every story a character is changed to some degree though.

IGN Comics: With Venom returning (at least in some fashion), the character that fans almost instantly associate with him is Carnage. Do you know of any plans for Carnage?

Aguirre-Sacasa: Umm, not in Sensational. There are no plans for him in Sensational.

IGN Comics: You mentioned that this arc wasn't what you were thinking of writing at first. What story were you going to do originally?

Aguirre-Sacasa: I wanted to do a story that examined Aunt May's unconscious state while she was in a coma. What was going through her mind? We touch upon that a little in these issues. But I kind of wanted to explore that. But Warren was kind of like, "You know, do you really want to build an arc around someone who's in a coma?" And I think you can get away with it for a little bit, but two entire issues would be stretching it. Warren was right. Let's just say that.

IGN Comics: So what's coming after the Venom arc?

Aguirre-Sacasa: I will say that immediately afterwards is an issue called "The Book of Peter." I would describe it as… Peter Parker… meets God.

IGN Comics: Interesting. Can you say anything more about the issue?

Aguirre-Sacasa: Oooh, I really can't.

IGN Comics: Fair enough. Thanks very much, Roberto!

Aguirre-Sacasa: My pleasure!

This weeks cup of joe with Steve Wacker

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NRAMA: Yeah - we'll just let those repercussions fall where they may on that. Well, since you're of an Axel mind, and it will be affecting Spider-Man later this year, let's start with One More Day. Briefly, how would you describe both the story of OMD and the effects it will have on the Spider-Man franchise? [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SW: One More Day is the last storyline before I'm handed the reins on Spidey, so I haven't had a lot to do with it other than reading the scripts and knowing where the Joes are leaving Pete and Company. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] That said, it is, without a doubt, near the top of the "Biggest Spidey Stories Ever" list I have running in my head alongside images of Brevoort's crumb-filled beard and snippets of melody from Wham's first album.

[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NRAMA: Er…. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SW: Yeah - my head is a lonely graveyard. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] At its heart, though, I suppose the story is about what every great Spidey story is about: Responsibility. To yourself. To your family. Those themes are constants in Spidey's world and they won't change under my tenure. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] I think in terms of sheer spills, chills, and thrills it's a real challenge to follow story like that. The book's going to have a lot of attention on it at that point and a lot of readers who want the next issue to have as much impact as the one just read. I figure we're going to have to be at least three times as exciting as usual to maintain momentum. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NRAMA: While we're sure it stands on its own, can you think of any other comics storylines that OMD will be similar to in its impact upon the characters? [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SW: I don't want to get into a list of classic stories that Queszynski () will now have to live up to. It's enough to think of this a small emotional story. It's about three people and how the effect each other, not a truckload of villains, not a war. It's not the "things blow up" book, but it may be the most important book we publish this year. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NRAMA: Can you explain the scheduling of the mini-series again - how many parts is it, when does it start, and where does it all fit? [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SW: Pretty simple. It's 4-parts in September and October: [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Amazing Spider-Man #544
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #24
Sensational Spider-Man #41
Amazing Spider-Man #545
[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NRAMA: In your view, what are the benefits of inserting a mini-series within the run of the monthly series compared to setting it out on its own? [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SW: It's a give and take on this, but in general (and barring a major Civil War-sized crossover, I think it's better to have the important things happen within a character's own book. The ongoings are the meat-and-potatoes of what we do, so anything you can do to goose sales and make a particular issue important to the life of your character is the way to go. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Of course, some events are so big they affect the entire universe and if you have an event book going on that'll have more eyes on it, you plan for the event to happen there, where it'll have the most eyes on it. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] In this case, I believe it was all about making the ongoings important and the fact that JMS and Axel wanted this story to cap their historic run on Amazing. Speaking only as Johnny-ComeLately here, I think it would have felt like a cheat to ask the readers to buy a separate mini for this story. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NRAMA: Okay - so OMD will be filling the slots on Amazing, Friendly and Sensational for two months - will we see any of the creative teams that are on those titles pre-OMD return post-OMD? It's been confirmed that OMD is JMS' final arc, so he's off Amazing… [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SW: Right. As for the others, I edit Friendly and unfortunately Peter, Todd, Robert, and John will not be returning to the book. They've done a helluva job though and it's been great working with all of them the last few months. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] As for Sensational, here's the editor Warren Simons with his announcement: [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Warren Simons: Thanks, Steve. As is the case with the creative team on Friendly, the creative team on Sensational will not be returning after One More Day. But! BUT! BUT!!!! Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa won't be moving too far from the darker corners of the Spidey Universe. Up next, he has a HUGE project, featuring a key character from his run on Sensational. Which one? Well…more news to follow soon, True Believers! [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] And let me just take a second to give big thanks to Roberto and Peter David for their work on the Spidey titles over the past two years. From "The Other" to Iron Spidey to Peter's extraordinary role in Civil War to the Black costume and Aunt May getting plugged, the guys have done a great job of navigating some extraordinary changes to Peter's status quo while still telling their own great stories. I'm very excited for what these guys have up next, and I think Spidey fans are in for a treat with OMD and post-OMD!!! [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NRAMA: Any early word on who might be replacing these folks? [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SW: Two words: Stay tuned. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NRAMA: Moving to other Spidery topics, probably one of the bigger questions that was raised by the Spider-Man FCBD issue was the "when." Let's just put some nails in coffins...[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Is "Swing Shift" in continuity? [/FONT][/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SW: The movie? I wish! Goldie Hawn/Kurt Russell-Who's side are you on? [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NRAMA: Snake Plisskin's of course, you? [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SW: A tough one, but I'll probably have to agree with you. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NRAMA: But now - the comic book? Spider-Man FCBD: Swing Shift? [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SW: The comic? Fans are smarter than me sometimes because I'm not sure how it could fit into continuity. Now that people are talking about it so much, it'd be interesting to see how much of it we could use. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NRAMA: Okay - how about this version, then - is there anything that readers should take from "Swing Shift?" There seem to be a lot of new faces, new villains…new…er, red-headed heroes? [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SW: With the new teams coming onto the Spidey books we're looking to add some new personalities to both Pete's life and in Spider-Man's. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The last decade or so has been full of many revamps of the major villains in Spidey's life and at a certain point the law of diminishing returns kicks in on… say… "Frog-Man's back!!! And DEADLIER than ever!!!!" There have certainly been some good stories with the classic crew in the last few years, but when you have to up the ante so much every single time they appear and use them so often across the whole line of Marvel books, it's harder to make it seem "special" that Frog-Man is even back. When was he even gone? (Okay Frog-Man maybe not the best example. Replace with Doc Ock.) [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Amazing Spider-Man #1-#38 (or as Brevoort calls it: The Marvel Bible) is almost relentless in the way it throws new villains at you, one after the other. However, good villains with a solid motivation and interesting powers are probably the hardest thing to create anymore since that ground has been mined so much. Spidey's world definitely needs some new blood, so the new Spider-team is putting a lot of attention on that. We're paying particular attention to what motivates these guys and gals to want to take Spidey down. Why do they hate him in particular? If we can make that work, we'll end up with a pretty good crew of evil doers to unleash into the Marvel U. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] As for any red-haired heroines, Marvel Junkies seem to be interested her (which is what we were hoping for), so we'll wait and see I guess. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NRAMA: And again - you're not at Marvel to do a weekly comic? [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SW: You think too small, internet. Anybody can do a weekly comic. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NRAMA: A daily comic? [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SW: Hey, I believe I pioneered the 365 joke right here on Newsarama almost 2 years ago, plagiarist. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Suffice it to say…weekly comics are so last year. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NRAMA: Back on track, then - any names you can mention of the new creators coming up on the Spider-Man titles? At least a confirmation that Dan Slott will be writing one? After all, Dan's "Swing Shift" story was like peanut butter meeting chocolate according to more than a few reviews... [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] SW: I already gave a hint on Newsarama that there were clues in my initials as to the new team. However I didn't mention my middle name is Gregory. You man enough to take the challenge now? [/FONT][/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NRAMA: S-G-W… [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SW: Again, I really appreciate those entire team of Dan, Phil, Andy Lanning, Jeromy Cox and Cory Petit making time to jump in and make our Free Comic Book Day offering one of the best looking books of the year. I'd move heaven and earth to have them all together again, but unfortunately schedules don't always work out. Here's hoping something can happen down the line… [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] More answers about the actual Spidey teams will be coming throughout the summer. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NRAMA: And with Phil - there's some confusion as to whether or not he will be on Amazing Spider-Man coming up. Any clarity you can offer? [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SW: Yeah my phone was ringing off the hook the Saturday he mentioned that at WonderCon. I think I can safely say Phil will be drawing some Spider-Man again, but perhaps not where you think. [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]

It's sad...I really enjoy SSM and FNSM. Why the change of writers?

Right when both David and Sacasa are on a roll, the rug gets pulled out from under them (us).

Jeeeez. :cmad:

Jeez, I'm really just getting bad news after bad news. So basically all the Spider-Man creative teams are gone after One More Day? That's the crappiest thing EVER! :cmad:

Sacasa is on the ball just about every single time. And David finally is finding his niche with FNSM. And now that we're getting consistently awesome stories they are going to leave?

Hey, Marvel, the teams replacing these guys better be damned good because I'm tired of this crap.

Jeez, I'm really just getting bad news after bad news. So basically all the Spider-Man creative teams are gone after One More Day? That's the crappiest thing EVER! :cmad:

Sacasa is on the ball just about every single time. And David finally is finding his niche with FNSM. And now that we're getting consistently awesome stories they are going to leave?

Hey, Marvel, the teams replacing these guys better be damned good because I'm tired of this crap.

Hopefully we will be getting Dan Slott...

I'd like to see Slott, Loeb, and either Matt Fraction or Zeb Wells on the current Spidey books....

On a positive note; Axel Allonso is also leaving. Hopefully the new editor will actually....edit.

Aww man replacing PAD and Sacassa is a bad idea.

Why don't the creative teams on the secondary books ever get decent runs anymore?.. How are the books ever going to develop?! Arghhhh,

I'd like to see Slott, Loeb, and either Matt Fraction or Zeb Wells on the current Spidey books....

On a positive note; Axel Allonso is also leaving. Hopefully the new editor will actually....edit.

Well, the new editor is going to be Steve Wacker and he's a pretty solid editor. He's the guy who started out editing DC's 52 series and left halfway through to come to Marvel. So, the guy definitely knows what he's doing.

But, yeah, I'm hoping that with the other guys leaving that we now have the door open for some new awesome talent. And Fraction was the first person I was thinking of because his Sensational Spider-Man Annual was pretty awesome.

But now with all THREE Spidey books opened I'm REALLY hoping that Dan Slott is writing ONE of them. If he isn't I'm going to cyber slap Joe Quesada because that's all I can really do from here.

Okay, after reading that messed up news about PAD and Roberto getting the boot and that god-awful lie about fans clamoring to see the return of "Jackpot" *gag* I am now terrified about Spidey's future post-One more Day. And so I've officially decided that unless the new creative teams consist of Alan Moore, Steve Ditko, JM DeMatties, Leonardo DaVinci, Chris Nolan and Mark Bagley then I'm using that reboot to jump off the books permanently. I'm almost 25, have been reading Spidey since I was 7 and this would be one of two times that I would have quit Spider-Man (the other being during the relaunch... I didn't pick up a book again until Jenkins came on board). But this time I really don't see myself coming back. What's happening to PAD and Roberto (two very talented writers who have real enthusiasm and respect for the character) getting the boot reeks of the mid 90's editorial tampering that was rampant under Bob Harras. I thought Marvel had learned not to do that anymore, but I guess Joey Q really has forgotten his roots and what it feels like to be a creator on a dream-job. Now it's all business, reboots and events with him. *sigh*....

So that's it, I'll stick around until the end of "One More Day" out of morbid curiosity and then since whatever follows looks like it will invalidate half the stories in my comic-collection I'll jump off after that.

Alan Moore? Steve Ditko? Chris Nolan?!?! Dude. Settle down. Take a breath and get out of fairy tale world.

First off. You'll never see Alan Moore write Spider-Man...ever. Get over that. Steve Ditko? You think he's going to be coming back to do artwork on Spider-Man anytime soon? You're ******ed if you think so. Mark Bagley is about to finish and 110 issue run on Ultimate Spider-Man and previously to that he did years and years on Amazing Spider-Man. Do you really think he wants to DRAW more Spider-Man comics? Not going to happen, dude.

Listen...Marvel has a lot of great talent that AREN'T any of those guys. So, hope and pray that we do get quality teams on the books. You figure...three ongoing books we have to get ONE quality creative team out of it.

Honestly, you're going with that lovely knee jerk reaction that a lot of people enjoy doing here. Why don't you wait and see who the creative teams are FIRST before you go throwing your Spider-Man comics into the trash can.

Geez... SpideyInaTree... I was being facetious. I said that because I know full well, we have a better chance of being visited by aliens tomorrow then that happening. So basically I'm quitting Spidey after One More Day. It's jumped the shark around seventy times in the last decade.

Can't believe you thought I was being serious. Christ. I mean I mentioned Leonardo DaVinci...

No I didn't think you were serious. I just had to make you look stupid for the people who think you were serious.

And, anyway, I just find it funny that someone who likes Spider-Man so much would drop the books because of the creative teams leaving. You don't even know who is taking over the books yet!

If Dan Slott ends up writing one of the titles, which I'm sure he will, you'll seriously be missing out on some fantastic Spidey stories.

And I personally believe Matt Fraction will take over the Sensational title after his Sensational Spider-Man Annual. It was a really solid book that a lot of people really enjoyed, I see good things coming from him.

Now if they announced the creative teams and it was Howard Mackie, Terry Kavanaugh, and a mentally ******ed kid named Sven....yeah, I could see you going on about how the Spider-Man books are going down the tubes...etc, etc, etc.

But no one has been announced. Lets wait and see who Marvel has lined up for us before we start stoning people.

No I didn't think you were serious. I just had to make you look stupid for the people who think you were serious.

Ummm... okay. Not sure I see your logic, but anyway...

And, anyway, I just find it funny that someone who likes Spider-Man so much would drop the books because of the creative teams leaving. You don't even know who is taking over the books yet!

If Dan Slott ends up writing one of the titles, which I'm sure he will, you'll seriously be missing out on some fantastic Spidey stories.

Reasons why I'm dropping Spider-Man come the end of One More Day:

1) Swingshift sucked. Jackpot was awful. If that's indictive of the new direction of Spidey count me out.

2) PAD and Roberto getting the boot so unceremoniously is wrong. They were both crafting some great runs and I feel Marvel is starting to treat its non-superstar creators like crap again like it did in the 90's...

3) If "One More Day" really is a giant retcon (and if anyone doesn't believe it is at this stage, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I wanna sell you..) then what's the point of my comic-collection? I started it after MJ and Pete got married. Now all those stories and continuity associated with it are going to be tossed out the window.

4) Finally, money concerns are very real. Comics are a drag on my wallet and I've tried to find the will-power to stop collecting for years... and with this unneeded revamp happening it finally seems like a good jumping-off point.

Really the only reason out of the four you listed that I see being logical and sensible is the fact that you have money concerns. I can agree that comics are pretty damn expensive and it's tough to follow your favorites when it's 3 bucks a pop.

But the rest...dude...Swingshift was a FREE COMIC BOOK. Get over it.

And who said that Sacasa and David were being treated badly? Wacker has said that they have big things planned for Sacasa. Sounds to me you're just mad that they are taking him off Sensational and putting him some place else, probably a place that will get him more exposure.

And who said that One More Day is a giant retcon? It's all speculation right now. Once again, just like the whole creative team thing, wait and see what happens. You don't know what they have planned or what they are going to do or what the future of Spider-Man holds.

Just sounds to me like your fed up with the price and quality of comic books. So, what you should do is stop reading comic books altogether and stop coming to these boards. That'll probably make you, and me, feel a whole lot better.

Just sounds to me like your fed up with the price and quality of comic books. So, what you should do is stop reading comic books altogether and stop coming to these boards. That'll probably make you, and me, feel a whole lot better.

Dude, what is your problem anyway? You seem a bit confrontational and angry for someone I've never even talked to before. Sorry if my dislike of the current state of Spider-Man is interferring with your enjoyment of the board. Sheesh!

All I'm trying to do is help you out. I went through the same thing with comic books about 10 years ago. I stopped reading completely and stayed away for about 4 to 5 years. Then I came back and realized how much I truly loved comics.

See, I quit comics because...well, they sucked. And back in 1997 and 1998 they DID suck. Now a days...comics are a lot more expensive but there is a TON of quality stuff being put out. How anyone can quit comics now I don't understand it, other than the money thing.

But, in the end, it sounds like you need to take a break. And I'd hate for you to be one of those borefest people who constantly come onto this board and whatever the story or whoever wrote it nothing will be good enough for you. So, yeah, it will eventually ruin my enjoyment of the board.

One of the main reasons why I try to come here only once a week instead of daily so I don't have to put up with the posters who hate everything and always need something to hate because...well, either their lives suck or because they have mental issues. I just want a place to go to discuss comics and not have people here who constantly have NOTHING good to say.

All I'm trying to do is help you out.

Right. A real good samaritan. :whatever:

I went through the same thing with comic books about 10 years ago. I stopped reading completely and stayed away for about 4 to 5 years. Then I came back and realized how much I truly loved comics.

See, I quit comics because...well, they sucked. And back in 1997 and 1998 they DID suck. Now a days...comics are a lot more expensive but there is a TON of quality stuff being put out. How anyone can quit comics now I don't understand it, other than the money thing.

I never said there wasn't quality stuff. In fact I'm very angry about Roberto and PAD being fired as I've already mentioned. All I said was I'm giving up Spider-Man after "One More Day" because I'm not happy with what they're doing. I didn't say anything about other comics. That's you filling in the blanks. At the moment I don't read alot of other stuff because of money constraints, but I'm well-aware of the great quality of some books, even some Marvel ones.

But, in the end, it sounds like you need to take a break. And I'd hate for you to be one of those borefest people who constantly come onto this board and whatever the story or whoever wrote it nothing will be good enough for you. So, yeah, it will eventually ruin my enjoyment of the board.

Here's an idea: Avoid my posts. There's an ignore button, right? Use it. I have just as much right to express my opinion as you do, even if I don't have close to twenty thousand posts under my belt (wtf?).

One of the main reasons why I try to come here only once a week instead of daily so I don't have to put up with the posters who hate everything and always need something to hate because...well, either their lives suck or because they have mental issues.

Seeing as you're the person who takes it upon himself to insult people out of nowhere... are you sure you're not describing yourself?

I just want a place to go to discuss comics and not have people here who constantly have NOTHING good to say.

It sounds like you want a place where the only opinion is your's. I didn't just say "this sucks." I gave reasons why I'm not happy with the books.

I wasn't attacking you. I was pointing out your insane knee jerk reaction to the announcement that Sacasa and David were leaving after One More Day with JMS. And it just seemed to me that you are angry about your comics and it sounded like maybe you need to take a break. It's one of my pet peeves when posters come on here and just immediately have this gigiantic negative opinion about something that HASN'T EVEN BEEN PUT OUT YET! You don't know the creative teams replacing Sacasa and David. Nobody is being "fired". Sacasa and David are just doing different books.

Now it's a different story if One More Day were released and it crapped all over everything that Spider-Man ever stood for. Then, OK, it's time to start throwing rocks at the Marvel building. And if Sacasa and David are replaced by Howard Mackie and a crap slinging monkey, yeah...it's time to start dropping Spider-Man titles.

But why don't you step back and take a breather. Maybe let things unfold a little more and see what happens. You never know you might actually be surprised! :wow:

Aguirre-Sacasa: One of the other things that's happening in this issue is that a bunch of people are trying to reach Aunt May's consciousness. Mary Jane is a part of that séance.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or vomit. A séance? Seriously? If that isn't Spider-Man material, I don't know what is... :csad:

RAS and PAD leaving? I'd just gotten to liking FNSM, and SSm has been consistently great since Sacasa took over!!

Argh..

Captain Stacy: I second you notion on Axel Alonso leaving...mayb the new guy will remind the writers of little things like Peter never owning a car, the webs dissolving in an hour, Spider-man's real reason for leavign behind the black suit, etc...

My first reaction to PAD leaving was definately knee-jerk.....but at this point I'm feeling pretty guardedly optimistic. It's time for a spidey wholesale change and I for one am looking forward to it.....and all 3 books are back on my pull list after "one more day"....clean slate....I refuse to limit myself to one Spidey title for the sins of others who've left the title

I'm not sure whether to laugh or vomit. A séance? Seriously? If that isn't Spider-Man material, I don't know what is... :csad:

It does sound silly. Still, I'd rather that than have her as "Jackpot." Not that having MJ as a hero would be bad, but just not one with that name. You can already hear the lame guys saying how they'd like to "hit that." Yeesh.

Aloha,
Great point. MUCH of the JMS continuity bashing should have gone to AA. He is the one in charge of catching the errors.He got a free ride from most of the fans who never even mentioned his name on these boards.
Spidey rules

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"