• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Comics Spider-Man the chosen one?

spideymusprime

Civilian
Reaction score
All right guys, I'm confused. My question is this. Has it ever been confirmed in any of the Spidey titles that Spider-Man was indeed chosen by the Spider-God and that the spider wanted to pass on the powers to Peter before it died? At the end of the Book of Eziekiel arc, the native Indian tells Peter something like 'you could believe science gave you the powers and I could believe that you were the chosen one. There's no contradiction'. I can't remember the exact words but it was something like that. Anyhow the story ended with everything in the air. Nothing was really confirmed. It could've been anybody's guess as to what it really was.

In The Other arc, no where does it confirm that Spider-Man was chosen by the Spider-God. I know that when Peter died, the so called Spider was alive in him. So was this supposed to confirm that Peter was really the chosen one?

Based on the stories we've read from the time of Eziekiel till now, one could assume that Peter was the chosen one and that it was not science that gave Peter his power but it was a fulfilled prophecy.

Has there been any confirmation of this? Has Peter ever accepted that he was the chosen one in any of the titles?

Also at the end of The Other arc, Spidey battles his 'opposite' who was created from Peter's dead body and later in the story the opposite webs himself up in a church. Now I hear that JMS will be leaving the Amazing title soon but does he have any plans of explaining this loose end?

I would really appreciate some answers to this. Thanks!

It hurts my head to even go back and think about this entire storyline...but I thought Peter accepted that he was the supposed "chose one" after Morlun killed him. He gave into his Spider side, accepted it and was reborn.

It hurts my head to even go back and think about this entire storyline...but I thought Peter accepted that he was the supposed "chose one" after Morlun killed him. He gave into his Spider side, accepted it and was reborn.

Yes one could assume that. But if you read the end of ASM 527, Peter after he was reborn still questions whether he is the "one" or the "other", the "spider who dreamt of being the man" and the "man who dreamt of being the spider". I understand that he embraced being the Spider in his dream before he was reborn, but after he just questions himself and leaves the room. I mean if he just accepted the fact that he was the "one" after his rebirth I would consider that as some confirmation. To me it's still up in the air and rather confusing.

ITs confusing cause its so poorly thought out. There really is no consistency with this storyline. I just gave up on it.

And what about the "opposite". Are there any plans of bringing him back in the near future?

This is just further proof of how bad the Other was. A twelve part comic that could have been shortened into six where every plottwist is pointless since the next plottwist overrides it. Plus the concept was horrible.

I would agree the Other could have been condensed a bit (probably eight issues max). They seemed to want to draw out some drama that wasn't always there.

I think the plot about Peter being chosen was dangled around for awhile before it was pretty much stated he was the One (or the Other, lol). After eating Morlun's head, of course. :woot:

If you're talking about 'the Other', she's appearing in the FNSM title right now.

Aloha,
You are correct. You have to follow the FNSM arc to see what happened with the Other.As far as Peter being the Chosen One. I think it comes down to Peter accepting his responsibility as a result of being bitten by the spider. He's had consults with Dr. Strange, Madame Web and Loki, so he knows that there is something to him being the guy that the spider bit. How much of a philosophy of life, Peter has adopted from this Spider-God belief, has not been explored. I don't think ANY at this point.Also, Out of the Other Arc, T'Challa, the Black Panther, let's Peter eat the sacred heart shaped herb in an attempt to save his life.This herb can only be eaten by " a warrior worthy of being King".So Peter is a Chosen One, on many levels. You may also want to check out Marvel's Updated Web site on All things Spidey.
Spidey rules

Aloha,
You are correct. You have to follow the FNSM arc to see what happened with the Other.As far as Peter being the Chosen One. I think it comes down to Peter accepting his responsibility as a result of being bitten by the spider. He's had consults with Dr. Strange, Madame Web and Loki, so he knows that there is something to him being the guy that the spider bit. How much of a philosophy of life, Peter has adopted from this Spider-God belief, has not been explored. I don't think ANY at this point.Also, Out of the Other Arc, T'Challa, the Black Panther, let's Peter eat the sacred heart shaped herb in an attempt to save his life.This herb can only be eaten by " a warrior worthy of being King".So Peter is a Chosen One, on many levels. You may also want to check out Marvel's Updated Web site on All things Spidey.
Spidey rules

Hey Donald. Regarding your point, there have been many instances where were were led to believe that Peter could've be chosen one. In the Book of Ezekiel arc, the native Indian tells Ezekiel that "the chosen one will defeat the pretender (who ended up being Ezekiel)". In the end Ezekiel realized that he was the pretender and ended up sacrificing his life to save Peter. So based on this, yeah, one could say Peter was the chosen one. But as I mentioned earlier it was never really made official in any of the titles including the other arc, that he was the chosen one. At the end of the day Peter just questions himself as to whether he is the chosen or not. So it's still up in the air as far as I'm concerned. Clues were left here and there that's for sure but really there hasn't been a payoff issue so far regarding the Spider-God plot.

I would agree the Other could have been condensed a bit (probably eight issues max). They seemed to want to draw out some drama that wasn't always there.

I think the plot about Peter being chosen was dangled around for awhile before it was pretty much stated he was the One (or the Other, lol). After eating Morlun's head, of course. :woot:

Yeah he turns into a Spider. Like that has never happened before. Lol.

Hey Donald. Regarding your point, there have been many instances where were were led to believe that Peter could've be chosen one. In the Book of Ezekiel arc, the native Indian tells Ezekiel that "the chosen one will defeat the pretender (who ended up being Ezekiel)". In the end Ezekiel realized that he was the pretender and ended up sacrificing his life to save Peter. So based on this, yeah, one could say Peter was the chosen one. But as I mentioned earlier it was never really made official in any of the titles including the other arc, that he was the chosen one. At the end of the day Peter just questions himself as to whether he is the chosen or not. So it's still up in the air as far as I'm concerned. Clues were left here and there that's for sure but really there hasn't been a payoff issue so far regarding the Spider-God plot.

Aloha,
Correct. Like I said, Peter has not adopted ANY official philosophy regarding the Spider-God. He is aware of the existence of such, just hasn't accepted it or totally rejected it. In other words, It's a dangling plot hole.
Spidey rules with closure

spidey is super ownage. I would like to see him come back as another captain universe or something

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"