Comics SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN - April 2019

Nicko-Ray

Madness
Reaction score
upload_2019-1-21_17-41-44.jpeg

Thirty five years ago, Spider-Man returned from Secret Wars wearing a stylish black and white costume. His costume was actually a living symbiote that eventually became one of Spider-Man’s deadliest enemies. But for a few months, Peter Parker and the symbiote were inseparable. Now, Marvel is reuniting them in a new flashback adventure.

Peter David and artist Greg Land are joining forces for Symbiote Spider-Man, a five-issue miniseries. It will depict a previously untold tale that will pit Peter and the symbiote against Mysterio. Marvel editor Devin Lewis insisted that the new story is in-continuity, even though Spider-Man never fought Mysterio during that time period.

“I know a lot of y’all out there in Mighty Marveldom are going to scoff at that – that this story is in-continuity – but TRUST ME! Peter, Greg and I have all done our homework,” said Lewis.

“We’ve read and reread the original ALIEN COSTUME SAGA in its entirety, revisited old stories and talked around those classics literally, for hours,” added Lewis. “This is Peter Parker as Spider-Man, wearing one of the most iconic costumes in all of comics, and we’re treating this story will the heart, seriousness and respect that that entails as a result.” Lewis also noted that the story will feature Black Cat, Aunt May, and other period specific members of Spidey’s supporting cast.

Peter continued to wear a black costume after the symbiote was revealed to be alive. However, Peter retired that costume after Venom emerged, and traumatized his wife, Mary Jane. Since then, Peter has occasionally brought back the black costume. Peter even briefly wore the symbiote again in Amazing Spider-Man #800, when they teamed up to stop Red Goblin.

Symbiote Spider-Man #1 is coming to comic stores in April.

Peter Parker's Back in Black in Symbiote Spider-Man Miniseries

View attachment 19677

Thirty five years ago, Spider-Man returned from Secret Wars wearing a stylish black and white costume. His costume was actually a living symbiote that eventually became one of Spider-Man’s deadliest enemies. But for a few months, Peter Parker and the symbiote were inseparable. Now, Marvel is reuniting them in a new flashback adventure.

Peter David and artist Greg Land are joining forces for Symbiote Spider-Man, a five-issue miniseries. It will depict a previously untold tale that will pit Peter and the symbiote against Mysterio. Marvel editor Devin Lewis insisted that the new story is in-continuity, even though Spider-Man never fought Mysterio during that time period.

“I know a lot of y’all out there in Mighty Marveldom are going to scoff at that – that this story is in-continuity – but TRUST ME! Peter, Greg and I have all done our homework,” said Lewis.

“We’ve read and reread the original ALIEN COSTUME SAGA in its entirety, revisited old stories and talked around those classics literally, for hours,” added Lewis. “This is Peter Parker as Spider-Man, wearing one of the most iconic costumes in all of comics, and we’re treating this story will the heart, seriousness and respect that that entails as a result.” Lewis also noted that the story will feature Black Cat, Aunt May, and other period specific members of Spidey’s supporting cast.

Peter continued to wear a black costume after the symbiote was revealed to be alive. However, Peter retired that costume after Venom emerged, and traumatized his wife, Mary Jane. Since then, Peter has occasionally brought back the black costume. Peter even briefly wore the symbiote again in Amazing Spider-Man #800, when they teamed up to stop Red Goblin.

Symbiote Spider-Man #1 is coming to comic stores in April.

Peter Parker's Back in Black in Symbiote Spider-Man Miniseries

AWESOME! Also, it's Peter David, and the man does him some great Spider-Man tales when he wants to!! Greg Land doing the art means it will look pretty sharp, too! I'm down.

Between this, Friendly Neighborhood, the Life Story and The Last Hunt...lots of Spidey goodness coming up!

And I didn't want to make a separate thread for this but Marvel is gonna be bringing back the team ups with a comic in April featuring Spider-Man and Kamala Khan.

AWESOME! Also, it's Peter David, and the man does him some great Spider-Man tales when he wants to!! Greg Land doing the art means it will look pretty sharp, too! I'm down.
I'm not too familiar with Peter David's work? Anything you recommend from the Spidey front?
Between this, Friendly Neighborhood, the Life Story and The Last Hunt...lots of Spidey goodness coming up!
Is Ramos drawing ALL of Last Hunt?

I'm not too familiar with Peter David's work? Anything you recommend from the Spidey front?

Spider-Man 2099. All of it. Also, he did the classic Spider-man story "The Commuter cometh" from Amazing Spider-Man #267. Also, the "Death of Jean DeWolfe" story from Spectacular Spider-man (co-starring Daredevil).

Is Ramos drawing ALL of Last Hunt?

See Shin's post for the first question,

Second, unfortunately, yes I do believe so.

this book looks and sounds awsome! but I would rather have anybody else draw the book than greg land. may I remind you hes a profesinal tracer.

this book looks and sounds awsome! but I would rather have anybody else draw the book than greg land. may I remind you hes a profesinal tracer.

Land is...very hit or miss. I would have much rather then gotten Ryan Stegman or someone to draw it.

Love me some Steg's.

Me too. I'm VERY happy he has stayed on Venom thus far. Every time he's on a Spidey title, he leaves. Superior, left after the first arc. Amazing Spider-man Renew Your Vows, left after a dozen issues ( I think). Now he's on Venom...and I just keep waiting for them to get someone who can't even draw the white spider properly. No disrespect to Todd Nauck, but when he took over for 'Ringo on FNSM back in the Back in Black time period, I wanted to just shred the comics. Spider looked like an ant. (sorry...pet peeve)

Me too. I'm VERY happy he has stayed on Venom thus far. Every time he's on a Spidey title, he leaves. Superior, left after the first arc. Amazing Spider-man Renew Your Vows, left after a dozen issues ( I think). Now he's on Venom...and I just keep waiting for them to get someone who can't even draw the white spider properly. No disrespect to Todd Nauck, but when he took over for 'Ringo on FNSM back in the Back in Black time period, I wanted to just shred the comics. Spider looked like an ant. (sorry...pet peeve)
He was the only real reason I read SUPERIOR for as long as I did. I haven't read any of his writing though. Is he good? I like his art better than Ottley.

He was the only real reason I read SUPERIOR for as long as I did. I haven't read any of his writing though. Is he good? I like his art better than Ottley.

He co-wrote Renew Your Vows before the time jump with Gerry Conway, and it pretty solid. Yeah, I like Ottley, but the McFarlane fan in me nerds out when I see Stegman's hyper-detailed stuff...reminds me of the good old days when stellar artists kept monthly schedules...

He co-wrote Renew Your Vows before the time jump with Gerry Conway, and it pretty solid. Yeah, I like Ottley, but the McFarlane fan in me nerds out when I see Stegman's hyper-detailed stuff...reminds me of the good old days when stellar artists kept monthly schedules...
:up: Yes, I know it's a bit looked down upon to say this -- but I enjoy detail in comic art......wait for it......I like lines, okay?!

:up: Yes, I know it's a bit looked down upon to say this -- but I enjoy detail in comic art......wait for it......I like lines, okay?!

Yep. Me too. I remember buying Spidey comics by Larsen and McFarlane back in 91...I was HOOKED. The Image Comics guys get a LOT of grief for their stories they put out back in the day, but they were the best artists we've ever seen. As me and my buddy always say, if McFarlane came back and drew just ONE issue of Spider-Man, it would sell more than every issue for the past 10 years. Just to see an issue of Todd splash pages and Spidey villains...I'd buy that. A few times...have him draw a Spidey vs Venom issue, and it'll do silly numbers.

Yep. Me too. I remember buying Spidey comics by Larsen and McFarlane back in 91...I was HOOKED. The Image Comics guys get a LOT of grief for their stories they put out back in the day, but they were the best artists we've ever seen. As me and my buddy always say, if McFarlane came back and drew just ONE issue of Spider-Man, it would sell more than every issue for the past 10 years. Just to see an issue of Todd splash pages and Spidey villains...I'd buy that. A few times...have him draw a Spidey vs Venom issue, and it'll do silly numbers.
I would choose Todd over Erik, just me. Erik's a cool guy -- met him at a signing. But I like Todd's art better. But that's the perfect example of detail that I enjoy. But it doesn't need to be lines all the time -- like in the other thread, Martin is awesome and he's not a lines-y guy. How about Camuncoli? I actually really like it when he draws on ASM.

I would choose Todd over Erik, just me. Erik's a cool guy -- met him at a signing. But I like Todd's art better. But that's the perfect example of detail that I enjoy. But it doesn't need to be lines all the time -- like in the other thread, Martin is awesome and he's not a lines-y guy. How about Camuncoli? I actually really like it when he draws on ASM.

Erik is super nice in person, for sure! His online persona is more than a little jarring, though. If you don't like discussing politics, do NOT follow him online! Also, as an aspiring artist, it's disheartening to see how far his work has fallen over the past 20 years. A friend of mine and I were discussing his current work on Savage Dragon, and how, when he was head of Image, he would have NEVER green-lit a title that looked like SD has looked for the last 100 or so issues. It doesn't take away from his Spidey stuff for me, though!

As for Todd, he's still got it. Every time he posts some new artwork, I'm still blown away by how amazing he can be. That man is just awesome.
There are people who do hyper-detailing that I just don't dig. David Finch is great, but something about his artwork just does not appeal to me. I can't explain it.

Yes, Martin is awesome. Camuncoli did an awesome job, too. I was always happy when he would fill in on Spidey. Very solid stuff. Also, I love Chris Samnee's stuff. His Daredevil run with Waid was just beautiful. Very Silver Age feel, in a good way.

This miniseries needs Howard Mackie and Tom Lyle immediately!

No, seriously, anything with Peter David writing it's probably going to be good stuff. It's a bummer I'll have to wait until 2020 to read it because I'm strictly a Marvel Unlimited guy now. :O

I like Lyle better than Bags!
I loved Bags' art in the beginning up until Ultimate. It was during Ultimate where I noticed how lazy he was getting. Then again, dude was doing an issue a week. But even after, he still had that rushed feel.

JrJr also does his speed drawing and I hate it.

JoeQ draws fridges and sucks.

Larsen and Mac are really good!

Camo is damned great

Ramos mostly sucks, he's improved, but still sucks.

JrSr was okay, but too "heroic"

Ditko was and is the best.

Sliney was good, if I'm remembering correctly.

I like Lyle better than Bags!
I loved Bags' art in the beginning up until Ultimate. It was during Ultimate where I noticed how lazy he was getting. Then again, dude was doing an issue a week. But even after, he still had that rushed feel.

JrJr also does his speed drawing and I hate it.

JoeQ draws fridges and sucks.

Larsen and Mac are really good!

Camo is damned great

Ramos mostly sucks, he's improved, but still sucks.

JrSr was okay, but too "heroic"

Ditko was and is the best.

Sliney was good, if I'm remembering correctly.

Well, this doesn't bode well:
Second Artist Brought in for SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN #1

Already needing an artistic assist? Really? Also, I'm hoping the other guy is better than Land. I've stared at that cover and it just reeks. Spider-Man's lenses are lined up with his cheekbones, and the patches on the hands are supposed to be rectangular, not round. Sorry...I've been trying not to critique it, but Spidey looks like the Leader right there!!

As for Tom Lyle...you guys can have him. I never cared for his stuff. Always looked...strange to me. JR JR was legendary in the day. I really only dislike his X-Men and DC stuff. They just don't work for him. His BEST stuff is on Punisher, though. PERFECT book for him.

JR SR...that man is legendary. I LOVE Ditko's artwork in story. It fit so well, but I had this discussion with a buddy of mine here: JRSr's covers make Ditko's look sad. Ditko could tell a story, and his imagery worked SO WELL in comic, but his covers, with the exception of issue #33, are all pretty blasse. John Romita Sr did so many great covers...and they all work. I mean, Lee didn't even let Ditko cover ASM#15, he handed it off to Kirby.

Joey Q was so good back in the day. I think Daredevil "Guardian Devil" was his peak. After that...I don't know what happened. His art on One More Day was just...atrocious. When you look at it that way, I suppose it was fitting to the story, though!

His iron spider was badly drawn as well. When a real artist did I, it looked great!

His iron spider was badly drawn as well. When a real artist did I, it looked great!

Well, he is very hit and miss for me. I just don't get it. The black suit is so cool...it's hard to screw it up, yet people keep finding ways...see Humberto Ramos's rendition in ASM800 for and example.
How about they made an action figure out of that crappy Ramos-symbiote!!!! It even has the weird lenses. Ugh...

Is that what that figure is based off of?
Ugh. It looks terrible. Not only the lenses, but the spider as well.
And I can't find Scarlet Spider (Kaine) anywhere.
:(
Did he not get sent to retail stores?

Is that what that figure is based off of?
Ugh. It looks terrible. Not only the lenses, but the spider as well.
And I can't find Scarlet Spider (Kaine) anywhere.
:(
Did he not get sent to retail stores?

I've seen him at stores before, but it's been awhile. Love that suit!!!

Screenshot_2019-03-11-18-14-11.png

I couldn't get the link to work on this update from Alex Saviuk so I took a screenshot instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"