• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics Spider-Man's Greatest Story Arcs

Please post a pic comparison so that a may agree with you.

Peter.jpg

Deadato's Peter actually looks like a living breathing human being. Jr jr's is laughable, and borderlines on anime silliness. His faces are boxy and stupid looking.

Sure, Jr jr does amazing action; but his faces piss me off.

Peter.jpg

Deadato's Peter actually looks like a living breathing human being. Jr jr's is laughable, and borderlines on anime silliness. His faces are boxy and stupid looking.

Oh yeah? You're boxy and stupid looking! :oldrazz:

Kidding ofcourse, but I do disagree. JR JR has his own distinctive style like other great Spidey artists such as Bagley, Buscema, Ringo (rip), McFarlane and Larson had. If anything I find Deodato's style very realistic, but boring in its uber realism.

Oh yeah? You're boxy and stupid looking! :oldrazz:

Kidding ofcourse, but I do disagree. JR JR has his own distinctive style like other great Spidey artists such as Bagley, Buscema, Ringo (rip), McFarlane and Larson had. If anything I find Deodato's style very realistic, but boring in its uber realism.

I agree that Deodato's style works better for other books (It works quite well in The Hulk) but I wouldn't put Jr jr up there with McFarlane, Buscema etc though. Having your own style doesn't make your style great.

I just don't like the way he draws, and I'm entitled to that.

If they'd have just come in and out with the clone story without making it a "saga" (pronounced soap opera) that COULD have been great. If they'd have replaced the Pete at that time with a more Stan-type Pete by making Ben the real thing and everything since #150, the story of the clone... that would have been great. But as it was... it stunk.

Got interrupted....

Rest of my thought was that the original Gwen Stacy clone story (by Conway, I think ) always resonated with me. I think that the emotional impact of the story set up acceptance for later clone stories. It was a good run.

If they'd have just come in and out with the clone story without making it a "saga" (pronounced soap opera) that COULD have been great. If they'd have replaced the Pete at that time with a more Stan-type Pete by making Ben the real thing and everything since #150, the story of the clone... that would have been great. But as it was... it stunk.
Its been worse, though.

Peter.jpg

If I wanted the misty-eyed teens of the OC of some similar nonsense, Deodato would be great. Since it's a comic with Peter Parker... JRJR is perfection. His Pete is a modern version of his Dad's Pete... making any comparison to Anime BLASPHEMY!

JrJr does a better Spider-Man these days....but did better faces in his earlier works.

I have to go with JRJr, too. His PP doesnt look like long sexually frustrated manchild.

There's an absolutley fantastic 4 part Spidey story from Chris Claremont's run on Marvel Team up in the late 70s with art by Sal Buscema:

#82 Spidey and Black Widow
#83 and Nick Fury
#84 and Shang chi Master of Kung fu
#85 and Black widow, Nick fury and Shang chi(surprisingly enough)

slight spoilers for how the story kicks off and a theme running thru it.... Spidey saves a young woman from a mugging who turns out to be the Black Widow with no memory and indeed, a new identity as an unassuming primary school teacher..the interesting thing about this is that over the course of the story Spidey and the school teacher persona of the Black Widow fall in love, very nice, very touching, theres a big conspiracy involving S.H.I.E.L.D behind everything, very, very good, should be in the next Essential Marvel team up(if its not out already).

There are plenty of Chris Claremont Spidey classics from this period, a lot of them drawn by John Byrne before he went over to Xmen..
2 parter-
#69 Spidey and Havok
#70 and Thor(classic, 1st time Spidey and Thor team up solo together, some very funny moments)

#79 Spidey and Red Sonja(stone cold classic, Mary Jane gets possesed by spirit of Red Sonja, her appearance changes too though,.. has brief appearance by a Clark Kent lookalike at the Bugle Xmas party with RobbieR asking him how it feels to be a mild mannered reporter working for a great Metroploitan TV network.)

There are plenty more, some i dont have handy for numbers, again by ChrisC and JByrne..

2 parter -
#Spidey and Human Torch
#and Ms Marvel(against the Super Skrull, if you liked Spidey vs Juggernaught or Firelord youd like this with him up against a very powerful foe, Jean De Wolff makes a cool apperance in this one too.)

Spidey and Man Thing(against Dyspare....so good, classic Spidey finding the inner strength to battle against a seemingly undeatable foe.)

Two others I got off ebay recently to replace lost childhood copies....

PP the Spec Spiderman#72(1982) "Waiting on Doctor Octopus" A spoiled unpopular kid builds his own Octopus arms and goes out looking for Doc Ock for friendship.

PP the Spec Spiderman#80(1983) " I cover the Waterfront" A solo JJJameson story with Spidey in the shadows, they could do a great trade paperback of best of JJJ stories, I'd nominate this and the one from the early 90's when the Chameleon has JJJ held captive in his own apartment and we follow an escape attempt with flashbacks to JJJ as a cub reporter learning the harsh lessons of life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"