Star Trek: General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilhelm-Scream

Avenger
Reaction score
Brilliant :rolleyes:

J.J. Abrams is becoming the next Gene Roddenberry.
Paramount is breathing life into its "Star Trek" franchise by setting "Mission: Impossible III" helmer J.J. Abrams to produce and direct the 11th "Trek" feature, aiming for a 2008 release.

Damon LindelofDamon Lindelof and Bryan Burk, Abrams' producing team from "Lost," also will produce the yet-to-be-titled feature.

Project, to be penned by Abrams and "MI3" scribes Alex Kurtzman and Roberto OrciRoberto Orci, will center on the early days of seminal "Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer space mission.

Deal reflects ParPar's bullishness on "MI3," which launches worldwide next weekend, and underlines the goal of Paramount chief Brad Grey and prexyprexy Gail BermanGail Berman to re-energize the pipeline via high-profile tentpoles while revitalizing the Par brand with top-tier talent such as Abrams.

"MI3" is the first pic to be released that's been greenlit by Grey.

"Star Trek" has been Hollywood's most durable performer other than James Bond, spawning 10 features that have grossed more than $1 billion and 726 TV episodes from six series.

Only one person can be behind something so evil:

042804_khaaaan.PNG

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

I'd like to believe that that's a superb Variety hoax.

What, are they going to get? James Van Der Beek to play Kirk and Jason Biggs to play Spock?

and I'll bet before they graduate and get their goofy flared pants and colorful shirts from original 60's Star Trek, in Starfleet academy somehow they'll all have to wear sexy, skin-tight black vinyl ninja suits.

The only people who could play Kirk and Spock are William Shatner and Leonard Nemoy, respectively.

I KNOW!
Just imagining some young punk-Spock trying to raise his eyebrow for the first time.
:o x 1,000

Cinemaman said:
I never like Star Trek, so I have no interest.

Thanks for posting.

I'm not a fan exactly, but even I can see that they scraped through the bottom of the barrel long ago.

Well, if anybody can pull this off, it's this team that they hired. It's also the only direction left they could go - a prequel to the Kirk/Spock series.........this could either be really good, or be on the level of The Toxic Avenger..........

I'm sick of prequels, and I'm sick of seeing Star Trek drained of whatever life is left in it.

We don't need Kirk and Spock back, either. They're my faves, but their day's been done for quite some time.

I love Star Trek....I've been with it since it began in the 60's....but there's a billion stories to be made about the Trek universe without using Kirk and Spock.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
I KNOW!
Just imagining some young punk-Spock trying to raise his eyebrow for the first time.
:o x 1,000
They should get Dwayne Johnson for that.He's a pro at "eyebrow raising".

The prequel stuff doesn't work for Trek. Bring on new frontiers.

I guess this means that Romulan War movie was scrapped. Recasting Kirk and Spock is a very bad idea. I can't think of any actors today that could do it.

Immortalfire said:
The prequel stuff doesn't work for Trek. Bring on new frontiers.
Absolutely.....they could break the mold and emphasise a non human race, showcase other established characters, or create all new people to inhabit the Trek 'verse.

Or just make another mirror universe that is founded by a completely different crew.

Why continue to dwell in the past. Star Trek is about the future and hope, and adventure and excitement….a look into the beyond. A new Trek movie should focus on the far future…something maybe 20 years after Star Trek Nemesis…or so….THE FALL of the Federation….and it’s subsequent RISE. A three picture action adventure drama, of grand epic proportions! New FRESH faces and stars, with some older Next Generation and DS9 cast cameos. That is what they should be doing…NOT another prequel that will only serve to screw with continuity and further run Trek into the toilet. Let's boldly go to some new undiscovered country, that is what the Trek fans want!!!

ugh, can't wait for the Scott Bakula-in-prosthetics cameo as a 90 year old Admiral Archer. :mad:

Oh this is a bad idea. If they wanted to make a new star trek film they should make one based on some new universe of it or something.Were supposed to go where no one has been before and paramount isn't doing that.

Wasn't this already made as Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry met Lloyd?

Shatner's stated in his books that this has been an idea for awhile, I think since the 5th movie or so.

Business-wise, it makes sense. And that's a bit scary.

I'll start off by saying that I've never had any interest AT ALL in Star Trek. Just doesn't appeal to me.

That being said...

The news of who will be directing and producing this movie actually has me interested. As a HUGE, obsessive fan of both LOST and ALIAS, and knowing how these men work, I have complete faith that they will make a kick-ass, shocking-twist-filled movie.

Same deal with MI:III. Never bothered with the show or movies, but I'll actually be watching this one, knowing that JJAbrams' genious is behind it.

I know that there's an existing thread on this already, so feel free to merge or do whatever you mods do so well, but I believe the topic truly needs to exist under this title.

J.J. Abrams, the mastermind behind Alias, the first season of Lost, and the upcoming Mission: Impossible 3 (which is building some incredibly positive hype right now) is taking on the world of STAR TREK. I saw the title for that news and I said to myself "don't get your hopes up, this has to only be a rumor, just like the Bryan Singer or Tom Hanks stuff" but then I clicked, took a deep breath, and read the coolest friggin news ever.

J.J. Abrams is making a Star Trek movie that involves young Jim Kirk and his vulcan buddy Spock.

I think it just became cool to be excited about Star Trek again. :up: :up: :)

Uh, pretty sure that's a rumor and not true, read someone(in another forum) where it was bedunked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"