• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Star Trek Nemisis Appreciation Thread

Sam Fisher

Heavy Meddle
Reaction score
I know I'm not the only one on here who liked this. Yeah, it ripped off WOK and lacked what made TNG good but it is still a decent and entertaining movie. Much better than TMP in my opinion.

Star-Trek-Nemesis-Original-Poster-C10090092.jpeg

10-13.jpg

up-star_trek_nemesis.jpg

nemesis.jpg

nemesis1.jpg

03.jpg

09.jpg

The problem was the direction. Every scene took three times as much time as it needed to. Take the scene at the end with Picard's chair. Should have been a thirty second throwaway gag. Actually seems to last five minutes.

I liked Nemesis, but I loved the others.
It ranks above TMP, though.

Nemesis was fun, but wasn't great at all...

I hadn't (to the best of my knowledge) seen "Nemesis" after its initial run, until I bought the Collector's Edition DVD last week. While I admit ther were some plot holes (Worf still on the Enterprise-E, Data being emotionless, Wesley's scene being cut out, etc.), overall I give the film an 8 out of 10, the main reason being Stuart Baird. I liked his editing in classic films like "Superman", and he did a great job directing "U.S. Marshals", but somehow, "Star Trek" just didn't seem to match his work style.

A few moments were truly memorable, though...

1) The cameo by now-Admiral Kathryn Janeway - nice move by the filmmakers!

2) The introduction of Shinzon in the creepy shadows of the Reman Hall - very creepy and mysterious, total "check out the new bad guy" moment.

3) Data's farewell - I'm a huge fan of Brent Spiner's "Trek" work over the years, and he just captured that feeling of sadness at the last moment, as if right before he died, Data finally felt a real emotion without that damn microchip. Just simply pointed the phaser..."Goodbye..." BOOM!

4) The crew's toast afterwards was great as well. "He was leaning against a tree, trying to whistle. Funniest thing I ever saw." Also, B-4 singing "Blue Skies" was another great moment.

All in all, my fave TNG films are still "First Contact" and "Insurrection", but "Nemesis" was definitely a good entry on its own.

"Nemesis"...why can no one spell it right?

Not the best way to pause Trek's current state of being, but a decent effort. Tom Hardy was excellent as Shinzon :up:

Outside of the wedding nothing in this movie is very star trek at all

I liked it, it was decent enough. I didn't like that they killed off Data, but there won't be anymore TNG movies so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

I enjoyed this film. It does very much ask how we'd be different if we'd been in a different environment, lived a different life. The scene where Picard and Shinzon argue about it in Picard's ready room has some of the strongest acting in the movie, and really, it does ask a very powerful question.

That one scene is, in my opinion, the best in the movie. Followed by Data's death and aftermath - while a bit inconclusive (Data's katra living on within B4), it was very powerful, that he learnt that the most human thing was sacrifice.

And one could easily gorge themselves on the juicy special effects.

Had it been a little different, or come out at another time, I'd actually say that it would've been a BO smash.

I was suprised I liked this film, after Insurrection I got a little dissapointed and opted to not catch it in theaters and now I feel bad about it.
but "first contact" is the best, followed by "generations" then "wrath of Khan" then this one.

Insurrection is stunningly bland. I cannot understand why they went with such a lame script. It's so low-key and forgettable. It's like two very weak episodes of the TV show put together.

In fact, the only part I like is when Picard dives into the water to save Mrs Doctor Octopus. It's so blatantly not Patrick Stewart that it's hysterical.

I have unconditional love for anything Star Trek: TNG, therefore, I like Nemesis.

I liked Shinzon as a villain, and the idea of bringing in another Data-model android as a mirror to the Shinzon/Picard dynamic.
But it's pretty clear to me that the choice of director was bad. The movie has a really dull, muted look to it, and example of this is the change of the color scheme for the menu-system on the Enterprise computers into stereotypically scifi-blue. Like Kevin has implied it also seems to have no sense of pace, or... you know... what's interesting.

My biggest problem with it though, is the way it seems to have no love for the source material. A new android is introduced to mirror the Shinzon/Picard dynamic, and it isn't Lore? Data's emotion chip totally ignored (every time I watch the movie, and data utters the line: "I feel nothing Geordi" I just get pissed off). Certainly
Data's sacrifice in the end would've resonated more if he actually had emotion
?.
And there's a lot of other minor details that annoyed me...

I feel Logan's script was pretty good, and the movie could've been a lot better.

All in all, I was entertained, and it was TNG (though only barely) so I like it, and own the DVD... but it's a real disappointment either way. Certainly not the note the crew deserve to go out on... :(

not seen it yet! Gonna work through the ten films when they arrive on DVD, tis the only one I not seen, feel bad, especially a trekie :(

I made a deal with the wife that if we saw Nemesis then I would go see a movie of her choosing.. I got reemed and had to go see Chicago

Totally not worth it

I made a deal with the wife that if we saw Nemesis then I would go see a movie of her choosing.. I got reemed and had to go see Chicago

Totally not worth it

Why did you take your wife to see Nemesis? Why didn't you go with another ge....friend?

I too have always wondered why so many didn't like this movie - then again, I'm only a casual Star Trek fan, by no means a die-hard. I had a ton of fun watching it, and it had an intense ending - and though many don't feel this way, I felt that it did retain a distinct TNG feel. :) Like I said, though - being a casual fan means I don't notice all the subtle nuances and such that you guys do...but I also end up enjoying it more!:oldrazz:

So yeah, I've always felt it was a solid movie, and far better than many gave it credit (or lack thereof) for. A shame, really.

lol :D

that scene with Janeway and Picard is awesome :D
lol

Insurrection is stunningly bland. I cannot understand why they went with such a lame script. It's so low-key and forgettable. It's like two very weak episodes of the TV show put together.

In fact, the only part I like is when Picard dives into the water to save Mrs Doctor Octopus. It's so blatantly not Patrick Stewart that it's hysterical.
double lol

I liked it, it was decent enough. I didn't like that they killed off Data, but there won't be anymore TNG movies so I guess it doesn't matter too much.
If you wanna make it good you have to kill off the guys who have no emotions but they really have some emotions.

Solid entry ... very solid.

Yet again Stewart is at the heart of everything good ... and I like the fact that the Picard/Data bond is central to the action.

I actually liked it. I did have a few gripes...like the lack of most of the crew having anything to do and it centering mainly on Riker, Data and Picard...but it was still entertaining. Oh and I hated the ending.

The good things of the movie were the performances, the cinematography, the action scenes, the damn Enterprise bridge being blown up, and the sake of seeing the TNG and a Star Trek movie again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"