A New Hope Star Wars Appreciation Thread

I love all the "Star Wars" films, having seen the OT for the first time on VHS in the mid-'80s. I was probably about six years old, and watched a recorded copy of Episode IV so much with my cousin Jared, his dad (my great-uncle) actually taped over it so we'd quit.

Most of what I now know regarding "New Hope", "Empire", and "Jedi" came from reading books about them that I got from the library, and the stories Jared would tell about Vader being roasted in a volcano. My young mind was fascinated with everything in those films, to the point that when I first heard they were making new ones, my inner child leaped for joy.

Looking back almost 15 years, I admit that "Phantom Menace" is a little less serious than the rest, but I think that was the point. I never understood where people got the idea that Anakin was some kind of "super-Jedi" with no faults, because its not presented anywhere in the OT at all. Every main point given about Anakin's life in the later chronology was fulfilled in the prequels, albeit expanded on quite a bit. I think what really makes Episodes I - III pale in comparison is the lack of any genuine surprise, since Vader's become so prominent in popular culture across the board.

As for the "Special Edition vs. Theatrical" debate, I like both for the most part. The one thing that bugs me most about Lucas' changes is the stupid musical number in Jabba's palace; its a terrible song, and does nothing to advance the plot. In contrast, I actually like John Williams' new ending theme for "Jedi", much more than the "Yub Nub" version. There's some minor things that annoy me, but that's mostly because so many years have passed without them being completely fixed (Luke's saber on the Falcon, Han shooting second looking barely believable, etc.)

Here's some of my favorite lines from Episode IV...

• "You are part of the Rebel Alliance, and a traitor. Take her away!"
  • "Your destiny lies on a different path from mine."
  • "It'll be just like Beggar's Canyon back home."
  • "Jabba...you're a wonderful human being."
  • "You watch your language!"
  • "The more you tighten your grip Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."
  • "He feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damn-fool idealistic crusade, like your father did."

C3PO and R2-D2 had some of the best moments in the OT. Just listening to them was pure gold. Especially this scene. :lmao:

[YT]_030i5C7xA4[/YT]

The original trilogy is still my favorite trilogy of all-time,I actually really enjoy the prequel trilogy but that one is my #5 of all-time,Add the trilogy together though and it's definetly my top favorite film franchise.

I'm proud of owning the saga Blu-Ray collection!

The Original (and as far as I am concerned, Only) Trilogy is one of the best trilogies.

Xstarwarsstarwars-2.jpg

Ralph_McQuarrie_Star_Wars_IV_concept_art_Tusken_Raiders_1977.jpg

MR21.jpg

STARWARSJUNGCONCEPT2.jpg

(Anyone have a larger version of this?)

Use%20the%20Force%20Luke.JPG

c-Darth-Vader.jpg

LFL_IA_64736_C.jpg

606721-mcquarrie_vader_djcox_174.jpg

As my signature suggests, as far as I'm concerned there are 4 Star Wars film and they tell a powerful & epic narrative.

I hadnt seen this pic before:
4e9a6943387279ca34c82f24b60bc6e3.jpg

My local cinema is showing Star Wars IV-VI on May 4th (anniversary). Apparently also the original versions. I bought a ticket straight away.

How'd the screening go? I'm pretty jealous, no place around me was doing anything like that.

star-wars_anewhope_ps_fin_s_poster_c_web.jpeg

So what's the story with this poster? This is the first time I've ever seen it.

I had no idea that Aunt Beru's voice was dubbed. Only on a few rare VHS copies can you find the actress' original voice because Lucas didn't like her accent.

For some reason I just now found out about this. It's called the Despecialized Edition and it's a fan-made restoration of the film as it was originally released with upgrades to the picture and sound quality and SFX. Essentially it is a better version of the special editions with all of their good updates and none of their bad additions. It's a total labor of love and even if it is not official it is the definitive version of the film in existence.

[YT]dHfLX_TMduY[/YT]

tumblr_nbr3thiE3u1qzx4bjo1_1280.jpg

I don't know, what do you think? You think a princess and a guy like me...

No!

star-wars_anewhope_ps_fin_s_poster_c_web.jpeg

So what's the story with this poster? This is the first time I've ever seen it.

By the Force. It's beautiful, I've never seen it before either.

tumblr_nb77z2GLKL1s2wio8o1_500.jpg

That wizards just a crazy old man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"