Guardians of the Galaxy Starlord's Pops

Super Jim

Sidekick
Reaction score
SPOILERS - of course...

Just saw GotG again and picked up a couple of things I didn't the first time around.

First, his mom said that his father was "an angel, a being of pure light", or something like that.

Later, Gamora made a statement about Peter's "pelvic sorcery", which seemed a bit odd.

Yondu at one point state "I may look like an angel on the outside, but I sure as 'heck' ain't one", which again, seemed forced.

Lastly, Yondu states, in response to a statement about not bringing Peter to his father, that "his father was a jackass".

We also know from what NOVA told Quill that his father was not Terran, which enabled him to hold the stone.

Ok, so we know that his father is something more than just a Terran. In fact, taking all of this together it's likely that his father is something much more than just an Earthling.

So, let's delve into this...

In the GotG comics Starlord was the son of J'Son of the Empiror of the planet Spartax. This makes sense since Peter's mother does give him the codename Starlord.

But, this doesn't seem to work for this movieverse. See, the Spartoi were a sister race of the Shiar, and that doesn't seem to be enough to align with all of these comments in the movie.

Now there are other choices, all of which could be worked into the Marvel Movieverse, especially one that takes place in space. Let's get into each...

Inhumans

The Inhumans were really nothing more than a Kree (just like Ronan) experiment on early earth beings. They effectively gene spliced them with Space Gods creating this race of super powered beings who distrust mankind.

Inhumans.jpg

Now I won't get into each of the different Inhumans, which there are numerous, but the main point is that there is one, actually the leader, names Blackbolt, who could have powers that would make him match with "and angel, a being of pure light". Not 100%, but enough to make this possible.

Blackbolt's powers are:

Power to harness electrons. The speech center of his brain contains a unique organic mechanism that's able to generate an unknown particle that interacts with the electrons he absorbs to create certain phenomena that are determined by his mental control.

But the main point against this one is that his mother named him Starlord, indicating that his father is not from Earth, and the Inhumans are from Earth.

Yondu

There is only one thing that makes me think that Yondu is a possibility, and that is his statement about looking like an angel. That seemed so forced, as did Peter's mother's statement, that they would almost have to be connected.

But Yondu is, in the comics, a game hunter of the primitive Zatoan tribe of humanoid beings who were native to Centauri IV, the first planet system to be colonized outside of the Sun's solar system; the colonization took place some time during the 29th century. Obviously the movieverse has strayed from this background.

Yondu's powers in the comics were that he had a sixth sense and a connection to nature. Doesn't sound like an angel or a being of pure light to me.

Plus if this is where they go with this whole "who is Starlord's dad" thing, then yawn!

The Celestials

The Celestials came to Earth about one million years ago to do genetic tests and experiments with the Earth's most intelligent life form, human beings. After many tests and experiments, the Celestials created two sub-species of humans, the Eternals and the Deviants. However, their manipulation of human DNA would give humans the potential to gain superhuman powers and also allow them to give birth to Mutants thanks to the insertion of the X-Gene.

Standing well over 2,000 feet tall, each Celestial possesses godlike powers beyond imagination, capable of manipulating matter and energy on an immeasurable scale.

These guys are cosmic beings, who I would be surprised if they wanted to mate with a human. Also, I can't see one of these being called "an angel". But we were introduced to the Celestials in GotG when they went to Knowhere.

Eternals

The Eternals are an offshoot of the human race that were genetically altered by the Celestials during their first visit to Earth to manipulate the dominant form on the planet Earth. This was the race Home sapians, which were evolved into three distinct races. The first was the mainline race of humanity, the other two included the cosmically powered Eternals, and the genetically unstable Deviants.

The Eternals’ bodily cells contain cosmic energy, and they maintain constant mental control over every molecule of their bodies. All Eternals possess the capacity for superhuman strength, telepathy, flight, teleportation, illusion-casting, transmutation of organic and inorganic matter, and the generation of various forms of energy from their bodies, including force, heat, light, and other electromagnetic radiation. Some Eternals have devoted themselves to specializing in a particular facet of their powers, and can increase their proficiency in one area by decreasing their power in another.

The Deviants

Effectively the cousins of the Eternals and already descibed above.

Effectively the bad side of the Eternals coin, but without powers. It's less likely that one of these dudes would be an "angel".

Eternals of Titan

Just a different offshoot of the Eternals, as explained above.

I include the distinction because of one Titan in particular. That is Starfox (Eros).

When Gamora stated that she knew about Peter Quill and his pelvic sorcery, that seemed very forced and possibly has meaning. Well, Starfox's powers are, in part, pleasure stimulation. sionic ability to stimulate the pleasure centers of the brains of people within 25 feet of himself. This power, which emanates from him at all times causes other beings to feel good around him. By concentrating, he can magnify these emanations, provoking such extreme pleasurable sensations that a person becomes highly aroused, euphoric, or totally sedated, as the case may be.

That power seems to apply to "pelvic sorcery", no?

Also, he has the ability of flight, just like an angel would.

And then he can manipulate cosmic energy in a variety of ways.

So, at this point, my best guess is that Peter Quill's father is more than just J'Son, the king of some planet without any major powers, nor do I believe he's Yondu's kid. The concept of him being the offspring of a Celestial or an Inhuman don't seem right either.

But the idea that in this movieverse he will be the offspring of an Eternal, well this seems to make a lot of sense to me.

Another idea I'll look into is the possibility of his father being Richard Rider, or some other person, AKA Nova. Being that we just met the Nova Corps, this one seems possible.

Thanks for laboring through and what's your thoughts?

I tend to prefer when films stick to the comicbook story lines. But having Starfox be Star-Lord's father is perfect. Who else in the Marvel Universe is going to travel halfway across the universe in order to get laid? It provides an explanation for the nickname bestowed by his mom, and creates an even more interesting family dynamic with cousins Gamora and Nebula and Unky Thanos.

And think of who they could cast as they guy goofing off around the galaxy while his brother was turning himself into a god. Nathan Fillion? Kurt Russell? Kevin Freakin Bacon? Please make this happen Mr. Gunn.

Personally, I'd die to see David Bowie playing Starfox. not necessarily as Quills dad. just as Starfox

I think it should just stay as J'son. Yondu's definitely not his father, but he's certainly a father figure. I don't think it should be Starfox though. I just don't really like the idea of him being related to Gamora or Thanos. That's just my opinion though.

I believe Quill's father being an Eternal makes a lot of sense (which I posted in the main Starlord thread a few days ago), and even more so for Eros specifically. It's my main working theory at the moment. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they make a pastiche of characters, so that it's a mix of Eros and J'Son.

Just one footnote/addendum:
When Nova Prime describes Peter's father, there are two specific clues that she mentions. (a) He is ancient. This would tie in well with the idea of Eternals, since they are extremely long-lived (the name sorta gives that away). (b) He is something that is unknown to Xandar. This means it isn't some mundane race like Kree or Sakaraan. Presumably, any Spartoi Empire that may exist in the MCU, unless it's INO, would be well-known to Xandar. It might also rule out the Celestials (which wasn't very likely anyway) since Tivan is mining the dead head of one at Knowhere. BTW, in case you missed it, we also saw a live Celestial (apparently, either Arishem or Eson) on The Collector's screens, during his Infinity Stone exposition.

by ancient he means the race. like the kree are an ancient species. J'son is the father. they wouldn't have rebooted the gotg comics with J'son being a huge story for nothing. they are going to use J'son. they also had concept art for spartoi, so it was a possibility for the movie. and will probably be in gotg 2

^What misjuevos said.

Sorry to shoot down the OP, because that's a lot of great research and even a 40-year Marvel grayhair like myself learned a thing or two; but the fact that Gunn originally had Spartoi in the script makes it all but certain that J'son was always intended to be the dad, as per canon.

Are we certain the Spartoi stuff is from Gunn's script and not from Perlman's?

Are we certain the Spartoi stuff is from Gunn's script and not from Perlman's?

We are not certain. From the recently released concept art, we know that the Badoon were featured in the GOTG script as well.

I'm all for sticking to canon, but I don't think Gunn or Feige will let it get it in the way of a good story. And let's face it, if Gunn nails the Star-Lord father-son relationship as well as he did the relationships in the first movie, it will makes its way to the printed page.

Would I prefer Star-Lord's dad be a noble heir to a galactic empire or a hedonistic goofball and brother to the Mad Titan? I'll go with the second one.

Here's another, far out there option...

Nova

So, who is Nova?

Nova, aka Richard Rider, was this kid that grew up a town over from me in Hempstead, Long Island, NY. When the Novaprime, at the time, named...

Rhomann Dey

was dying he gave his powers to Rider.

Now we met a Corpsman named Dey. Not sure if he was ever revealed as being Rhomann, but he was definitely Dey. But Nova Prime was Glenn Close and not Dey.

Anyway, Dey gave the powers of the Nova Force (something not mentioned in GotG). This gave him some amazing powers, including:

- Flight
- Superhuman Strength
- Speed, and
- Durability
- As well as the power to absorb energy directed against him and release it as gravimetric pulses and beams, either from specific parts of his body or from his entire body.

So first, it's important to note that originally all of the Nova Corps used the Nova Force. When Dey gave the powers to Rider it was after the Corps' home planet was destroyed. The Corps no longer used the Nova Force after this.

But then Zandar, the Corps' home planet, was rebuilt and again threatened. Nova was called to defend it and had to leave Earth.

Once Zandar was safe and the Nova Corps in place again (without the Nova Force), Nova had to give up his powers in order to go back to terra, which he did.

While back on Earth he was approached by Night Thrasher, who believed that his powers were just dormant and he wanted him to be on his new team, the New Warriors.

So, this one is out there, but just imagine this...

Obviously Dey couldn't be the Dey that gave the Nova Force to Rider, in order for Rider to be Peter Quill's dad. But imagine this scenerio...

Years ago, the Nova Prime (whoever it was) went to Terra. He was dying so he gave his powers, the Nova Force, to Richard Rider (or some other dude).

This turned Rider (or whomever) in to Nova. Nova met and fell in love with Peter Quill's mommy. They conceived Peter.

Before Peter's birth, or just after, he was called back to Zandar to defend the newly built planet/Nova Corps.

While away, Peter was born and/or grew up and his mother died. I wonder if the Nova Force could cause someone to get cancer?...

Nova, who was busy doing whatever, hired Yondu to get his son for him. Peter, as a young kid, was beamed up to Yondu's ship and left Terra.

Nova, wanting to go back to Earth after saving Zandar and the Corps, had to give up his powers (or so he thought). Just like in the comics. He goes back to Earth.

The woman he loves is now dead, and the son he never met, or barely knew, is nowhere to be found. He continues his life on Earth.

Night Thrasher finds him and helps him get his powers back (by throwing him off a roof, by the way).

Now I know this one is way out there, and truth be told I don't believe that this will be it, but...

- Nova and the Nova Corps, which was a main piece of the Guardians movie, are very tied together.

- It really did/does seem like Peter's father is more than just J'Son.

- Nova's powers could definitely be considered "angel like" and as if he was "pure energy".

- Yondu didn't seem to like him, and I would imagine that Nova is the type of person that this movie-verse Yondu would not like.

- It would help Marvel further expand this movie universe, making the New Warriors a possibility.

Again, this idea is way out there and I don't believe it will be the answer. Honestly, if I had to bet, I'd be betting on his father being an Eternal, maybe even Starfox, but this idea of it being Nova would be really interesting and unexpected, and would have some interesting side effects for the stories...

Last edited:
Also, you can see from my new poll that I have some other ideas as to who can be Peter's pops.

The concepts are:

- Captain Mar-Vell

- Quasar

- Adam Warlock

All would seem to tie in very well with this story. I'll investigate each at a later date...

@Super Jim: Your 'Nova as Quill's father' theory might work if it weren't for the following:
* The name of Glenn Close's character is Nova Prime (edit: as you already noted), so it doesn't appear as if, in the MCU, the specific 'Nova' character - or the powers associated with him - exist yet
* The Xandarians in the Nova Corps don't recognize the alien DNA in Quill's bloodstream, and the only thing(s) they can determine about it is that it's ancient

BTW, John C. Reilly's character is called Rhomann Dey.

Last edited:
anyone think that his mom got cancer from being with an alien (or whatever is father was)

anyone think that his mom got cancer from being with an alien (or whatever is father was)

Her illness was never identified, but I do think it's entirely possible that its root cause was related to whatever circumstances led to Peter's 'unnatural' paternity.

I'd be alright with it being Mar-Vell. It'd be a way to break the ice for that character and get him into the MCU continuity so that he could set up Carol Danvers(who's the one we all really want to see anyway).

^ Assuming that Carol Danvers can't be introduced as Ms. Marvel without first introducing another entirely separate character (Mar-vell) is a mistake.

^I don't think following the comics is a mistake. Especially the better known a property already is, the closer you want to stay to it. Sure, with GotG you can deviate all you want since virtually no one had ever heard of them(maybe 2,000 people or so in the entire country? Just a guess). Ms. Marvel is considerably more well known than GotG(that doesn't mean I'm saying she's a household name or anything). Now they don't have to follow her origin verbatim(since when do they ever do that anyway?) but they should hew somewhat closely to it that it feels like the same character.

Marvel Studios hasn't really followed any of their own comics to date in adapting them to the screen, so, yes, it's a mistake to assume that just because something happened in the comics it absolutely HAS to happen in the films.

If Marvel Studios wants to introduce Ms. Marvel without - or before - introducing Mar-Vell, they can do so.

Certainly they CAN do so. The question is SHOULD they.

I think they'll use some form of J'Son. Maybe he was a really good guy when he meet Peter's mother, but has turned into 100% dick since then.

I also think that the movie might show Yondu as Peter's "real" father too, since Yondu raised Peter. Maybe the sequel will have some "Blood father vs father who raised you" thing going on.

yeah i thought that as well. maybe it was from his ship's radiation or something. maybe it doesn't effect the spartoi, but humans are not as strong.

this is section is about J'son being the father

nova prime said quill's dad's species is very ancient we've never seen before. that means the novas know of the spartoi, just haven't seen them in person. or else how would they know the race is ancient. they would have just said we don't recognize this species.

the spartoi probably patrol their own sector of space, and forbid the nova's from entering their sector. so the novas have no actual contact with the spartoi. and over eons the novas have forgotten them. the novas just know to keep out of the spartoi empire.

we know starlord's dad hired yondu and the ravagers to get quill for him. yondu of course just kept quill and raised him as a ravager. probably hasn't been back to spartax since then. yondu probably hides out in spartoi space since the novas have no jurisdiction there. he commits crimes in nova space then flees to the spartoi empire. yondu also wears a jacket with the symbol we know is starlords from the comics. so it probably is the spartoi symbol and those are spartoi clothes. as well as the tech. so no one bothers yondu when hiding out in the spartoi empire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"