Stephen Kings 'The Dark Tower' to be directed by JJ Abrams?

A bit from Quints interview with King.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31707
STEPHEN KING: Well, the only thing that I can confirm is that we’re talking about it because there’s nothing firm yet.
QUINT: Well, he doesn’t have it set up somewhere yet, but he has the option right?
STEPHEN KING: Well, he doesn’t have anything yet, but he will have eventually… if he wants it. I think he does.
QUINT: I’ve never met JJ, but Harry talks with him quite a bit and the impression I get from him is he’s very much in line with geeks like me and the readers of the site.
STEPHEN KING: He’s a good guy. He’s one of us.
QUINT: Do you think he’ll attack the series as a television series like LOST or…
STEPHEN KING: No. It oughta be movies. It’s gotta be big. I’d like to see it done (that way). I’m not going to close any doors because that’s not my way…
QUINT: What about a cable series, like an HBO or Showtime series?
STEPHEN KING: We’ve talked about it, but (Abrams and Damon Lindelof’s) impulse, too, is to go with the big screen. JJ has a deal with Paramount Pictures. I know that he’s talked with somebody at Paramount and said, “Yeah, it probably oughta be pictures.” But why close any doors?

After reading the dark Tower, I could care less about this being a movie. There was no excuse for what happened when Roland went through the final door in the tower. I think any ending would have been better than that.
If Roland was caught in one long never-ending loop, then what was the point of it all?

It's not a complete loop. The implication is that he is going to relive it over and over, basically until he gets it right.

From what I understand (I haven't read any Dark Tower books) the Dark Tower series is heavily connected to other Stephen King books.

Movies wouldn't be able to reference King mythology very effectively I think.

pleased they are going with movies instead of TV

From what I understand (I haven't read any Dark Tower books) the Dark Tower series is heavily connected to other Stephen King books.

Movies wouldn't be able to reference King mythology very effectively I think.

The books tie-in elements from his other works pretty seemlessly. It could be done.

So if there gonna make this into a movie,are they gonna film it all at once.

The only way it could work, I think, is if they did a Harry Potter style series of movies. They could film for two years maybe, and release one movie a year while working on the next installment.

More DT movie
Posted: March 3, 2007, 00:35:19 | Section: Film » The Dark Tower

Here is a clarification from King's message board:

"I asked Steve for clarification on this and his response was that no deal has been finalized. If and when one is, it will be a 3 year option which he will sell them for $19. I can tell you from experience that there have been many times when an option has expired before a film is made so even an option doesn't mean it's a done deal. "

JJ Abrams and The Tower
Posted: March 9, 2007, 00:20:37 | Section: Film » The Dark Tower

JJ Abrams talks The Dark Tower:

Wired News: Turning to your Stephen King project for a second, The Dark Tower wasn't well-received by most critics or even some die-hard Stephen King fans. What attracts you to the project?

Abrams: This is something that we are just now talking about with Stephen, so it's too early for me to say that we're even officially doing it yet just because the thing is in the early stages of discussion. I love what the The Dark Tower is. Damon Lindelof is obsessed (with it). We met Stephen, who was just the greatest, and hit it off. What's exciting to me about it is that it is a very edgy epic. You could . . . say it's his Tolkien Ring series, but I feel like it has a potential of being a lot more. I think that sense of that great hero, that sort of Western, iconic, almost spaghetti-Western-type hero in this landscape is just an amazing -- it feels iconic to me.

I think it's safe to say this is total BS.

http://www.cinematical.com/
Some Guy Is Blogging That He's On the Set of Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower'
Posted Jun 18th 2007 11:32AM by Christopher Campbell
Filed under: Action & Adventure, Horror, Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Comic/Superhero/Geek, Western
In this day and age, nothing can be kept a secret for very long. But Paramount Pictures may have done a better job than most, as an anonymous source claims they are already producing an adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower series, and the first film is set to begin shooting this Friday with J.J. Abrams at the helm. (Ed: Yes, we know this is almost certainly nonsense, but it's still pretty funny.) This anonymous blogger claims to be signed on for multiple movies based on the fantasy series (his position is undisclosed). The blogger also claims the first adaptation is to have the biggest budget yet in Hollywood, and he says he doesn't know who has been cast as the lead. In his second post, put up on Saturday, he gives a very basic rundown of the shooting schedule for Friday and next week, most of which will be filmed outdoors on the Paramount lot.

Of course, if this was legit, it would be incredible news to fans of the books, fans of Abrams, and I guess fans of movies in general. Back in February, at the New York ComicCon, King announced the collaboration between he and Abrams for the project, but nothing was really said about when production on the film would begin, let alone that it would begin so soon. At the same time, IGN reported that Abrams was actually set to direct the adaptation and speculated that his secret Paramount project, titled Cloverleaf, was in fact The Dark Tower (there is no IMDb listing for a film called Cloverleaf). The blogger has already addressed the idea that people think he's a fake, but he insists that he is reporting the truth and that he has to be careful not to accidentally give away his identity because he signed a non-disclosure agreement. So, he has to be brief in details. He promises, though, that once shooting begins he will have photos up. Just in case he is legit, you may want to bookmark the blog now. Of course, if he's legit, I can't imagine it would be too hard for Paramount to figure out who he is and shut him down.

the blog
http://darktowermovie.blogspot.com/

Wow, two persons post the same link at exactly the same time. :eek:

False site
Posted: June 19, 2007, 15:04:47 | Section: Film » The Dark Tower

I just got confirmation from King’s office that the site claiming filming of The Dark Tower will start on Friday is false.

Not a big surprise

What I wonder about with this series is how are they going to handle the aging issue with Jake. He only ages about 2-3 years (King's not real clear on that) in the whole series, how would they do a 7 picture series or TV series in that amount of time? Seems like a tricky casting problem for sure.

The guy who should direct the Gunslinger should be the guy who directed The Proposition.

What's the name of that director, again?

John Hillcoat directed The Propsition.

Can anyone tell me what The Dark Tower books are about?

John Hillcoat directed The Propsition.

Can anyone tell me what The Dark Tower books are about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_(series)
The Dark Tower is a series of seven books by American writer Stephen King that tells the tale of lead character Roland Deschain's quest for the "Dark Tower." The Dark Tower is often described in the novels as a real structure, and also as a metaphor. Part of Roland's fictional quest lies in discovering the true nature of the Tower. The series incorporates themes from multiple genres, including fantasy fiction, science fantasy, horror, and western elements. King has described the series as his magnum opus; beside the seven novels that comprise the series proper, many of his other books are related to the story, introducing concepts and characters that come into play as the series progresses.
The series was mostly inspired by the epic poem "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came" by Robert Browning, the full text of which was included in an appendix to the final volume. In the preface to the revised 2003 edition of The Gunslinger, King also identifies The Lord of the Rings, the Arthurian Legend, and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly as inspirations. He identifies Clint Eastwood's "Man with No Name" character as one of the major inspirations for Roland. King's style of location names in the series, such as Mid-World, and his development of a unique language abstract to our own, are also influenced by J. R. R. Tolkien's work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"