The Dark Tower - Abrams??

ven-numb

Civilian
Reaction score
If there is an existing thread feel free to move or close this… I could not find one though.

I heard that JJ Abrams may tackle the Dark Tower Saga?! Is this true, and if so what do we know so far of this?

Thanks!

I'm very much against this being a movie.
This should be an epic mini-series....I don't know, 4 or 5 seasons (1 season per book would be too much).
I hate Hollywood's insistence on making everything a goddamned movie, regardless of the source material's scope and length :whatever:

If there is an existing thread feel free to move or close this… I could not find one though.

I heard that JJ Abrams may tackle the Dark Tower Saga?! Is this true, and if so what do we know so far of this?

Thanks!

There's a couple of threads around...but the movie isnt going anywhere til LOST has ended.
http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/09/02/damon-lindelof-updates-the-dark-tower/
Damon Lindelof Updates The Dark Tower
Posted on Tuesday, September 2nd, 2008 by Peter Sciretta

A year and a half ago, Stephen King optioned The Dark Tower series to JJ Abrams and Damon Lindelof for $19. But since then we haven’t really heard any updates on the project. Recently AMC got a chance to chat with Lindelof, who admitted that he won’t have time to tackle the adaptation until Lost is finished. He also revealed that he would like to adapt the seven books into a seven film series. Here is the quote:

“The Dark Tower is to me every bit as daunting an adaptation as the Lord of the Rings trilogy must have been for Peter Jackson, except we’ve got seven books we’re looking at. And the idea of doing that at the same time Carlton and I are bringing Lost to a close is simply not viable. There are always Dark Tower conversations, but the figuring out of what this will look like as a movie has not begun. If The Dark Tower were in the right hands, I would love to see seven movies executed just right. But you have to get people to see the first one to get them to come and see the second one.”

I’m not sure the adaptation could sustain a big enough audience for seven feature film. The Dark Tower is a epic series of seven books written by King from 1982 to 2004. The story follows Roland Deschain’s quest for the Dark Tower, which is often described as a real structure, and also as a metaphor.

Did King really sell the rights for $19 dollars? or is that a typo?

& I am hoping this ends up being a TV series. a season pers book.:up:

Also get Bill from True Blood to play Roland, & I will be a happy man.:up:

I heard this was an awesome game, with Abrams attached. Im defintely looks forward to this if and when it does come out.

Did King really sell the rights for $19 dollars? or is that a typo?

Not a typo he did.
http://www.screenhead.com/reviews/stephen-kings-dark-tower-film-rights-sold-for-less-than-20/
Stephen King’s “Dark Tower” Film Rights Sold For Less than $20

Filled under: Book-to-Movie, Drama, Movie News, Movies, Thriller | | Trackback

Stephen King, who is perhaps one of the greatest horror writers of our time, recently sold the film rights to his epic seven-book series, “The Dark Tower” , for only $19.00 So who’s the lucky recipient of this bargain of the century? None other than J.J. Abrams, series creator of “Lost” and “Alias”, who also happens to be working on the mysterious “Cloverfield” project.

The reason that King let the film go for such little money was that he wasn’t concerned about how much it would get him, but rather, he was more set on the idea of finding someone who would take good care of his baby. You see, King had a special attachment to the series, and he didn’t want to give it up to just anyone. Many people had asked about buying it before, and it wasn’t til J.J. Abrams came along that King even thought about actually giving it up.

Stephen King said, “This is not a thing I would have (given) to just anybody. I’ve said no to everybody until recently, but based on his work, particularly Lost, which I think a lot of, I thought, ‘Yeah, these guys can do it.”

He’s already made millions on the book series, and countless other books and movies, that at this point in his career, why would a few million more matter?

블라스;17096253 said:
I'm very much against this being a movie.
This should be an epic mini-series....I don't know, 4 or 5 seasons (1 season per book would be too much).
I hate Hollywood's insistence on making everything a goddamned movie, regardless of the source material's scope and length :whatever:

Although I agree with you to an extent that you couldn't fit everything in all 7 books into a trilogy I am still very against a lame ass mini-series. I know budgets and effects have gotten better over time but they still dont compare in quality to a big budget film. When it comes down to it I would rather have them try to fit the 7 stories into 3-4 films than make a cheeseball mini-series. I'll take the Lord of the Rings route on this one since I'll always have the novels to read if they have to edit some stuff out for the films.

All the King haters(readers or actual critics) can talk as much **** about him as they want saying he's a hack and whatever else BS they come up with but I give him mad props in regards to his integrity for only selling the rights for $20.00 because he wanted it in the hands of someone who could do it justice rather than make more millions off of it.

Last edited:
Although I agree with you to an extent that you couldn't fit everything in all 7 books into a trilogy I am still very against a lame ass mini-series. I know budgets and effects have gotten better over time but they still dont compare in quality to a big budget film. When it comes down to it I would rather have them try to fit the 7 stories into 3-4 films than make a cheeseball mini-series. I'll take the Lord of the Rings route on this one since I'll always have the novels to read if they have to edit some stuff out for the films.

Ok then...a LOTR trilogy (or 4 films) is something that could work.
That I can get behind.
If the studio doesn't try to enforce the usual "Make it 90 mins, and include Jessica Alba" backwards thinking *cough*FOX*cough*, then it could be awesome.

All the King haters(readers or actual critics) can talk as much **** about him as they want saying he's a hack and whatever else BS they come up with but I give him mad props in regards to his integrity for only selling the rights for $20.00 because he wanted it in the hands of someone who could do it justice rather than make more millions off of it.

Ok, something like this gives me a lot of confidence.
He's not looking to make money, he just wants his baby taken care of :up:

Last edited:
블라스;17096824 said:
Ok then...a LOTR trilogy (or 4 films) is something that could work.
That I can get behind.
If the studio doesn't try to enforce the usual "Make it 90 mins, and include Jessica Alba" backwards thinking *cough*FOX*cough*, then it could be awesome.

Ok, something like this gives me a lot of confidence.
He's not looking to make money, he just wants his baby taken care of :up:

LOL, I had no idea you were fearful of the 'Fox' treatment for this future franchise. I thought you didn't even want the prospect of a trilogy but I see where you were coming from now. Under Abrams I think he will do it justice...not to mention King himself puts his faith in him after turning down so many people. Lets hope Abrams makes this into a trilogy at the least...I'm crossing my fingers for 4 films. If you break it down the first book is so short you can easily combine it with the second.

LOL, I had no idea you were fearful of the 'Fox' treatment for this future franchise. I thought you didn't even want the prospect of a trilogy but I see where you were coming from now. Under Abrams I think he will do it justice...not to mention King himself puts his faith in him after turning down so many people. Lets hope Abrams makes this into a trilogy at the least...I'm crossing my fingers for 4 films. If you break it down the first book is so short you can easily combine it with the second.

Dude, I'm fearful of the Fox treatment for any franchise :o
They have done far too much damage for me to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I trust Abrams though, and I trust King, so yeah, let's cross our fingers.
This could be the new LOTR (in epicness and scope, I mean), if handled right.

블라스;17097143 said:
Dude, I'm fearful of the Fox treatment for any franchise :o
They have done far too much damage for me to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I trust Abrams though, and I trust King, so yeah, let's cross our fingers.
This could be the new LOTR (in epicness and scope, I mean), if handled right.

If this is done right I will most likely love this way more than LoTR. I'm a much bigger fan of horror than fantasy or sci-fi when it comes to literature and that's what got me into King which in turn got me into his Dark Tower epic. I've only read the LoTR trilogy once in middle school and enjoyed it, I really liked the films as well but to me The Dark Tower(which King admits was heavily influenced off of LoTR, he even said it's basically his own LoTR saga) is 'my' epic from an author who I own most if not all of his books. Basically I'm going to be watching the production like a hawk like I'm sure most of the LoTR hardcore fans were when Jackson made those films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"