Sub-Mariner: How to film the underwater scenes?

Hypestyle

Superhero
Reaction score
So, any one have ideas on how to stage the presumably many underwater scenes for a Sub-Mariner film?

I was watching some of the supplemental material on the James Bond: For Your Eyes Only ultimate edition dvd.. there was an “underwater” scene that was staged by using a wind machine, hanging from cables, actors moving in slow motion… with ‘water bubbles’ added in post-production.. of course, that was circa 1980.. could it be done a similar way now-- or better?

the actors would have to look as if they are at ease underwater.. :dry:

In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire the the underwater effect was pretty good and I think Marvel will make the movie in the same way that Warner made.

I heard that this movie will be Marvels Star Wars, anyone can confirm it???

Wanna good namor film? Hire James Camron.

Then there are actors like Doug Jones playing Abe Sapien in 'Hellboy' who know how to move like they're underwater.

Come to think of it, Doug Jones has to be in the Namor movie somewhere!

So, any one have ideas on how to stage the presumably many underwater scenes for a Sub-Mariner film?

I was watching some of the supplemental material on the James Bond: For Your Eyes Only ultimate edition dvd.. there was an “underwater” scene that was staged by using a wind machine, hanging from cables, actors moving in slow motion… with ‘water bubbles’ added in post-production.. of course, that was circa 1980.. could it be done a similar way now-- or better?

The only problem with that was that you could tell they weren't underwater. They'll do much better effects with Namor!

I wanna know when they talk underwater will it sound like they are underwater? Cause that's really hard to tell!

There was an underwater scene in Phantom Menace too, wasnt there? From what i recall, it seemed to work ok...

though i didnt really like the movie, that quick underwater scence from Ghost rider was pretty cool

I wanna know when they talk underwater will it sound like they are underwater? Cause that's really hard to tell!

Take the side of your dominant index finger that faces you and move it rapidly up and down against your lips while you talk. That's what it will sound like!:woot:

I'd like to see something along the lines of the fx that were in Hellboy and Phantom menace in scope.

Maybe do most of the filming out of water with effects, I don't know since I'm not an FX person but something like CG and wind effects or something, added to make it look like they were in the water even though they weren't.
I also say show some scenes where their dialogue is obscured by the water but mostly have them talking regularly (with incredibly minor interferiance).
I'd rather they do mostly underwater scenes instead of all CG though, that can end up looking like a video game.

In a movie called pathfinder they had two characters talk underwater as if they were on land. It was seemless so, they could do it in Namor. If they can have a guy who shoots webs, a team who can turn invisible, bend, catch fire, and look like a rock, they can do under water scenes. If they're trying to do a thor movie, I'm sure they can do a Namor.

To a human it would be a muffled kind of talk, but Atlanteans can hear perfectly underwater, so for them it would be clear. Therefore, I'm guessing it would be completely clear.

I personally think the voices should be clear when speaking but there should also be somekind of sound fx along with the voices.

Speaking along those same lines, should they use their own language of Atlantean in some scenes with dialogue. I'm not suggesting the whole film should be subtitled but perhaps a few scenes.

How should Namor sound when he's talking on land? Should he have a slight accent? It would stand to reason that his vocal chords would be slightly altered from being able to converse underwater.

I personally think the voices should be clear when speaking but there should also be somekind of sound fx along with the voices.

Speaking along those same lines, should they use their own language of Atlantean in some scenes with dialogue. I'm not suggesting the whole film should be subtitled but perhaps a few scenes.

How should Namor sound when he's talking on land? Should he have a slight accent? It would stand to reason that his vocal chords would be slightly altered from being able to converse underwater.

Good point. Never though of that

His vocal chords do not have anything to do with it. It is all about hearing. Atlanteans can hear really really well underwater, thus to them everything is more audible.

I don't see the need for him to sound different out of water. It's all about their hearing senses underwater. A human can muffle and try to talk underwater, and an Atlantean can understand perfectly. If the Atlantean spoke back, the human should have difficult hearing because he doesn't have as good an ability in the water.

His vocal chords do not have anything to do with it. It is all about hearing. Atlanteans can hear really really well underwater, thus to them everything is more audible.

I don't see the need for him to sound different out of water. It's all about their hearing senses underwater. A human can muffle and try to talk underwater, and an Atlantean can understand perfectly. If the Atlantean spoke back, the human should have difficult hearing because he doesn't have as good an ability in the water.

I don't know about that completely. I'm no doctor or physiologist but it seems to me the Atlanteans vocal chords would have to be somewhat different than a regular human's.

I don't know of any person that can speak underwater with the same freedom that he/she can above the surface. We've probably all played that game when we were kids in a pool, but what usually happened most of the time whenever we tried this? We'd take in a big gulp of water and explode to the surface, coughing from getting choked. I'm assuming Atlanteans can do this with no problem, in salt water no less.

Now we all know, Atlanteans have highly efficient gills and Namor has both gills and fully developed lungs. It stands to reason that since the average Atlantean processes oxygen from the salt water that flows over his gills and at some point in time the water flows through his throat, his vocal chords would have to vibrate through a heavier medium such as water. It would seem that constantly vibrating through this heavier medium would make an Atlentean's vocal chords stronger than the average human's and he would sound different on the surface due to greatly strengthened vocal chords.

Now I said at the first, that I'm no doctor or scientist and if you are and know better, then forgive my prattling of the unlearned. It just seems to me, there would be a difference somehow.

I don't know about that completely. I'm no doctor or physiologist but it seems to me the Atlanteans vocal chords would have to be somewhat different than a regular human's.

I don't know of any person that can speak underwater with the same freedom that he/she can above the surface. We've probably all played that game when we were kids in a pool, but what usually happened most of the time whenever we tried this? We'd take in a big gulp of water and explode to the surface, coughing from getting choked. I'm assuming Atlanteans can do this with no problem, in salt water no less.

Now we all know, Atlanteans have highly efficient gills and Namor has both gills and fully developed lungs. It stands to reason that since the average Atlantean processes oxygen from the salt water that flows over his gills and at some point in time the water flows through his throat, his vocal chords would have to vibrate through a heavier medium such as water. It would seem that constantly vibrating through this heavier medium would make an Atlentean's vocal chords stronger than the average human's and he would sound different on the surface due to greatly strengthened vocal chords.

Now I said at the first, that I'm no doctor or scientist and if you are and know better, then forgive my prattling of the unlearned. It just seems to me, there would be a difference somehow.

All Atlanteans have enhanced senses. They can see better, hear better, are physically stronger, more durable, and faster than the average human. Why? Because of their adaption to the see. I really, strongly, do not think it has anything to do with their vocal chords. They can hear each other speak because of the enhanced hearing.

All Atlanteans have enhanced senses. They can see better, hear better, are physically stronger, more durable, and faster than the average human. Why? Because of their adaption to the see. I really, strongly, do not think it has anything to do with their vocal chords. They can hear each other speak because of the enhanced hearing.

Hey, I agree with you on that. I believe Atlanteans have greater enhanced senses when compared to us surface dwellers but at the same time, I also believe their physiology is slightly different than ours from living in the sea and their vocal chords is one of the differences.

That's what they did for all the underwater scenes in The Lord of the Rings and they looked excellent.I think a similar thing could be done for Namor.

You create your own universe a la sin city and 300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"