• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Talk about hack journalism: "Why does Hollywood have to mess with all my superheroes"

BT18

Superhero
Reaction score
http://www.couleenews.com/articles/2006/07/06/opinion/02opinion.txt#blogcomments

Christopher Reeve will always be Superman. Michael Keaton will always be the best Batman. Tobey Maguire is the only Spiderman I know. Advertisement

Advertise Info. Directory

I have officially entered the superhero worship arena, not initially by choice, but nonetheless, I’m a fan of the larger than life men who fall in love with beautiful women, are either rich by means of money, muscle or both and always end up saving the day.

Thanks to my brothers, I was initiated into the superhero realm starting with the Batman movies. I remember being captivated by Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne (aka Batman). Without a doubt, he fit the part.

Keaton’s role was later handed over to George Clooney (despite wearing the black suit emblazoned with a built-in six pack, I just couldn’t see passed the scrubs he wore on “ER”), Val Kilmer (he just didn’t fit the bill, bottom line) and most recently, Christopher Bale (I just couldn’t get past my irritation with Katie Holmes, who played opposite Bale, to give him a chance).

Until recently Batman was my one and only superhero. Others have come on the scene, however — both wear red and blue, have amazingly sculpted bodies or at least costumes that make it look that way, and work for newspapers — Spiderman and Superman.

Hubby Derrick is into Spiderman. I had to watch the first on video before we could go to the sequel and now we have to wait until May 2007 to see the next installment.

Anyway, in the meantime, we picked up another hero — Superman. I wasn’t hip on the idea of adding another do-gooder to my list of favorite out-there characters, but I did.

Over the weekend, we went to “Superman Returns” with friends Josh and Kaela. Let me explain that Derrick and Josh are childhood friends and when they talk about Spiderman, Superman or Batman, they get giddy. It’s borderline unbearable.

For example, on the way to see Superman this weekend, the two of them hummed the film’s theme song the entire 10-minute ride to dinner and the 30-second trip to the theater. No, I lied, they hummed the theme the entire weekend.

“Superman Returns” wasn’t my first choice of flicks to take in over the weekend, but their excitement was so contageous I had to play along.

I have to admit I never read the Superman comic books and really only saw Christopher Reeve star as Superman through snippets. But through those short clips of Reeve clad in a red cape flying to save the day, I’ve decided that he is my favorite Superman.

Don’t get me wrong, Brandon Routh was armed with muscle, good looks and a keen sense of direction (I guess that comes with the cape), but he was no Reeve. I’m not sure if that role can really be played by any other man.

Ideally, in my small world of superhero knowledge, one person would play the same character in sequels. I think that’s why Batman lost steam, by not sticking with Keaton (or maybe he wasn’t interested in playing the role), and it goes the same for Superman. I understand circumstances made that feat impossible for the film company by way of Reeve’s unfortune disability and death. I had to replace Routh’s face with Reeve’s just to make the movie seem legit.

Perhaps knowing who the lead spider will be in Spiderman is the only reason I am excited to see the third installment — I’ll have a history with the camera-slinging-newspaperman-turned-acrobatic-spider.

When I think of Batman and Superman, Keaton and Reeve will come to mind before the others who have played those roles. But with Spiderman, I’ll have a more than one-movie history with Maguire.

With my superheroes, I like knowing the same face will appear in sequels even if it is behind a mask, or in Superman’s case, behind different colored contact lenses.

Contact Jessica Mincoff at [email protected] or 786-6816

Is this "Jessica Mincoff" getting paid to write this? This article has no point, except that different people play the same character sometimes. That's news right there.

Wow, hope she didn't get paid for that one. That's not just being a crappy journalist, it's being a crappy writer.

is christopher his real name!!??

awesome!....*adds name to cool christophers list*

I thought it was Christian Charles Philip Bale?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"