Teaching Myself Another Language

I have heard that is really hard to learn a new language the older you get. Something about once your brain developes past a certain age. It has trouble obtaining, & keeping that info or something.
as an english teacher for over 12 years, let me tell you, that's not true, I have successfully taught grown adults who had zero english experience, and that's a lot considering I live in a border city, we even have up to 4 totally english speaking local channels (NBC, CBS, ABC and PBS, that I recall)

just learn to think in the language and that's it

I was thinking of taking up Chinese since I travel there 2 times a year for China Tours with my old Sifu and his students. It be nice not to have a translator...but my friend that lives over there is my translator ....

I met a guy at the airport that new over 10 languages. He said he had a gift for learning languages, he can learn a new language in 6 months to a year. He said what helped him out the most was writing down all the words.
I taught myself Spanish by translating Transformers:The Movie into Spanish in my spare time in study hall...he's right, writing it out really helps

lol. I've been doing quite a bit.

For the past two weeks, I've been playing My Spanish Coach on DS, I've watched almost 8 movies with all Spanish subtitles on, I've got 3 books, an audio CD, and I've of course, been watching and studying free tutorials online.

I'm making pretty decent progress!

Yo estudio español para dos horas cada día.

I should be pretty damn strong by May. That's my goal.

FUERTE POR MAYO!

-TNC

I'm actually taking intensive beginners Spanish as a complementary in my University, 6 hours a week, but its great. I do have the benefit of being fluent in French and their are many similarities.
The teachers main philosophy is repetir repetir repetir, practicar practicar practicar! She also has us do things like play charades and other stuff, it may seem childish, but all the repetition and practise are essential, in any form.
If your doing it from a site or a textbook, be sure to supplement that with having a friend who speaks it as their mother tongue and that will definitely help you pick it up quick. Learn the basics as to not be annoyingly hopeless though, since regular folk don't have the patience and experience of a teacher.

I'm learning Chinese now...it's outrageously hard :csad:
For sure, your tackling something with a completely different language root!

I was thinking of taking up Chinese since I travel there 2 times a year for China Tours with my old Sifu and his students. It be nice not to have a translator...but my friend that lives over there is my translator ....

But what Chinese language will you learn, there is over 30! The important thing, and maybe one of the hardest, is learning how to write the language as people who speak the different languages can understand each other threw the writing.

I want to learn French...

Really, I thought hating the French was one of Americas favourite pastimes because of their ingratitudes after the war or whatnot.

Its a hard language, technically its my mother tongue, but I was raised English and sort of neglected my French, I speak it fluently and its enough for my purposes, but their are so many rules and conjugations in the writing!
Seems like there is less in Spanish, which will be funny if I become better in then my own mother tongue.

For native English speakers, French and Spanish will pretty much be the easiest languages to learn...for the most part.

-TNC

For native English speakers, French and Spanish will pretty much be the easiest languages to learn...for the most part.

-TNC

Italian as well. They all have a Latin root.

jag

I can more or less communicate in two languages.

I figured the English language would have more familiarity with the German language... As English isn't Latin based, albeit that there is a strong French influence in the language from when the Normans invaded.

I figured the English language would have more familiarity with the German language... As English isn't Latin based, albeit that there is a strong French influence in the language from when the Normans invaded.

English has roots in both Germanic and Latin. A lot in Latin, actually.

jag

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"