The 20 Most LEGALLY Downloaded Songs In Music History (As of August 6, 2010)

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/ch...-watch-extra-top-20-songs-in-digital-history/

1. The Black Eyed Peas, "I Gotta Feeling," 6,049,000. This ultra catchy song was #1 for 14 weeks, beginning in July 2009. It replaced "Boom Boom Pow" in the top spot, giving the Peas a record-setting 26-week run at #1. It won a Grammy for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals and was nominated for Record of the Year..

2. Flo Rida featuring T-Pain, "Low," 5,640,000. This rap smash was #1 for 10 weeks beginning in January 2008. It was Flo Rida's first chart hit; T-Pain's 13th. It was T-Pain's third #1, following his own "Buy U A Drank (Shawty Snappin')" and Chris Brown's "Kiss, Kiss," on which he was featured..

3. Lady Gaga featuring Colby O'Donis, 5,616,000. "Just Dance," This Madonna-inspired smash was #1 for three weeks in January 2009. It was Gaga's first chart hit; O'Donis' second, following his own "What You Got" (featuring Akon)..

4. The Black Eyed Peas, "Boom Boom Pow," 5,517,000. This was #1 for 12 weeks, beginning in April 2009. It was the Peas' first #1. The video won a Grammy for Best Short Form Music Video..

5. Lady Gaga, "Poker Face," 5,451,000. This was #1 for one week in April 2009. It was Gaga's second #1. It won a Grammy for Best Dance Recording and was nominated for both Record and Song of the Year..

6. Jason Mraz, "I'm Yours," 5,267,000. Mraz wrote this little ditty in 15 minutes. It was time well spent. The mellow pop shuffle hit #6 in September 2008. It was Mraz's first top 10 hit. It remained on the Hot 100 through October 2009, setting an all-time record for most weeks on the chart (76). It was nominated for a Grammy for Song of the Year..

7. Ke$ha, "TiK ToK," 5,078,000. Ke$ha gave Mick Jagger a name check on this cheeky smash, which began a nine-week run at #1 in January 2010. It was Ke$ha's first Hot 100 single (not counting "Right Round")..

8. Timbaland featuring OneRepublic, "Apologize," 4,747,000. This classy pop ballad logged four weeks at #2, beginning in November 2007. It was OneRepublic's first Hot 100 hit. It was Timbaland's third top 10 hit as a "lead" artist, following "Give It To Me" (featuring Nelly Furtado and Justin Timberlake) and "The Way I Are" (featuring Keri Hilson)..

9. Taylor Swift, "Love Story," 4,654,000. This is the best-selling country crossover song in digital history. It hit #4 in January 2009. It was Swift's second top 10 hit, following "Change.".

10. Flo Rida, "Right Round," 4,594,000. Less than a year after "Low" ended its long run at #1, Flo Rida was back in the top spot. This was #1 for six weeks, beginning in February 2009..

11. Coldplay, "Viva La Vida," 4,588,000. This majestic pop hit is the best-selling digital hit by an act that hails from outside the U.S. It was #1 for one week in June 2008. It was the English group's first #1 hit. "Viva La Vida" won two Grammys: Song of the Year and Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals..

12. Soulja Boy Tell'Em, "Crank That (Soulja Boy)," 4,520,000. This rap smash was #1 for seven weeks, beginning in September 2007. It was Soulja Boy's first Hot 100 single..

13. Katy Perry, "Hot N Cold," 4,461,000. This propulsive pop smash hit #3 in November 2008. It was Perry's second top 10 single, following "I Kissed A Girl.".

14. Train, "Hey, Soul Sister," 4,311,000. Train ended a nine-year absence from the top 10 when this melodic pop tune logged four weeks at #3, beginning in April 2010. The 80s-themed hit gave name-checks to both the famous (Madonna) and the nearly forgotten (Mr. Mister). It was Train's second top 10 hit, following "Drops Of Jupiter (Tell Me).".

15. Beyonce, "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)," 4,166,000. This ubiquitous smash was #1 for four weeks, beginning in December 2008. It was Beyonce's fifth #1 solo hit, which exceeds the four she had with Destiny's Child. It won three Grammys (more than any other hit on this list): Song of the Year, Best R&B Song and Best Female R&B Vocal Performance..

16. Lady Gaga, "Bad Romance," 4,154,000. This melodramatic hit logged seven weeks at #2, beginning in December 2009. It could put Gaga back in the Grammy finals for Record and Song of the Year..

17. Kanye West, "Stronger," 4,106,000. For his first #1 hit, 2005's "Gold Digger," West teamed with Jamie Foxx. On this smash, which was #1 for one week in September 2007, West proved he could do it on his own. It won a Grammy for Best Rap Solo Performance..

18. Miley Cyrus, "Party In The U.S.A.," 4,105,000. This summer anthem was #2 for three weeks, beginning in August 2009. It was the teen star's fourth top 10 hit, following "See You Again," "7 Things" and "The Climb." Cyrus, 17, is the youngest artist on this list..

19. Lady Antebellum, "Need You Now," 4,028,000. This country/pop smash echoes such Eagles classics as "New Kid In Town" and "Lyin' Eyes." It was #2 for two weeks in March 2010. Grammy nominations for Record and Song of the Year are a foregone conclusion..

20. Leona Lewis, "Bleeding Love," 4,026,000. This is odd: No American Idol alumnus has had a 4 million digital seller, but a winner on Britain's The X Factor did the trick. This elegant ballad was #1 for four weeks, beginning in April 2008. It was Lewis' first Hot 100 single. It was nominated for a Grammy for Record of the Year.

with the slight exception of train I abhor all of these songs.

not a single good song on there....i suppose im not surprised.

Think I've actually heard...3 of them? What a joke.

not a single good song on there....

Exaggerate much? All of Lady Gaga's songs are good. I'm Yours by Jason Mraz is great. As is Kanye West's Stronger and Lady Antebellum's Need You Now.

I'll join the group that's implying that people with good taste in music should start legally downloading things.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/ch...-watch-extra-top-20-songs-in-digital-history/

1. The Black Eyed Peas, "I Gotta Feeling," 6,049,000. This ultra catchy song was #1 for 14 weeks, beginning in July 2009. It replaced "Boom Boom Pow" in the top spot, giving the Peas a record-setting 26-week run at #1. It won a Grammy for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals and was nominated for Record of the Year..

2. Flo Rida featuring T-Pain, "Low," 5,640,000. This rap smash was #1 for 10 weeks beginning in January 2008. It was Flo Rida's first chart hit; T-Pain's 13th. It was T-Pain's third #1, following his own "Buy U A Drank (Shawty Snappin')" and Chris Brown's "Kiss, Kiss," on which he was featured..

3. Lady Gaga featuring Colby O'Donis, 5,616,000. "Just Dance," This Madonna-inspired smash was #1 for three weeks in January 2009. It was Gaga's first chart hit; O'Donis' second, following his own "What You Got" (featuring Akon)..

4. The Black Eyed Peas, "Boom Boom Pow," 5,517,000. This was #1 for 12 weeks, beginning in April 2009. It was the Peas' first #1. The video won a Grammy for Best Short Form Music Video..

5. Lady Gaga, "Poker Face," 5,451,000. This was #1 for one week in April 2009. It was Gaga's second #1. It won a Grammy for Best Dance Recording and was nominated for both Record and Song of the Year..

6. Jason Mraz, "I'm Yours," 5,267,000. Mraz wrote this little ditty in 15 minutes. It was time well spent. The mellow pop shuffle hit #6 in September 2008. It was Mraz's first top 10 hit. It remained on the Hot 100 through October 2009, setting an all-time record for most weeks on the chart (76). It was nominated for a Grammy for Song of the Year..

7. Ke$ha, "TiK ToK," 5,078,000. Ke$ha gave Mick Jagger a name check on this cheeky smash, which began a nine-week run at #1 in January 2010. It was Ke$ha's first Hot 100 single (not counting "Right Round")..

8. Timbaland featuring OneRepublic, "Apologize," 4,747,000. This classy pop ballad logged four weeks at #2, beginning in November 2007. It was OneRepublic's first Hot 100 hit. It was Timbaland's third top 10 hit as a "lead" artist, following "Give It To Me" (featuring Nelly Furtado and Justin Timberlake) and "The Way I Are" (featuring Keri Hilson)..

9. Taylor Swift, "Love Story," 4,654,000. This is the best-selling country crossover song in digital history. It hit #4 in January 2009. It was Swift's second top 10 hit, following "Change.".

10. Flo Rida, "Right Round," 4,594,000. Less than a year after "Low" ended its long run at #1, Flo Rida was back in the top spot. This was #1 for six weeks, beginning in February 2009..

11. Coldplay, "Viva La Vida," 4,588,000. This majestic pop hit is the best-selling digital hit by an act that hails from outside the U.S. It was #1 for one week in June 2008. It was the English group's first #1 hit. "Viva La Vida" won two Grammys: Song of the Year and Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals..

12. Soulja Boy Tell'Em, "Crank That (Soulja Boy)," 4,520,000. This rap smash was #1 for seven weeks, beginning in September 2007. It was Soulja Boy's first Hot 100 single..

13. Katy Perry, "Hot N Cold," 4,461,000. This propulsive pop smash hit #3 in November 2008. It was Perry's second top 10 single, following "I Kissed A Girl.".

14. Train, "Hey, Soul Sister," 4,311,000. Train ended a nine-year absence from the top 10 when this melodic pop tune logged four weeks at #3, beginning in April 2010. The 80s-themed hit gave name-checks to both the famous (Madonna) and the nearly forgotten (Mr. Mister). It was Train's second top 10 hit, following "Drops Of Jupiter (Tell Me).".

15. Beyonce, "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)," 4,166,000. This ubiquitous smash was #1 for four weeks, beginning in December 2008. It was Beyonce's fifth #1 solo hit, which exceeds the four she had with Destiny's Child. It won three Grammys (more than any other hit on this list): Song of the Year, Best R&B Song and Best Female R&B Vocal Performance..

16. Lady Gaga, "Bad Romance," 4,154,000. This melodramatic hit logged seven weeks at #2, beginning in December 2009. It could put Gaga back in the Grammy finals for Record and Song of the Year..

17. Kanye West, "Stronger," 4,106,000. For his first #1 hit, 2005's "Gold Digger," West teamed with Jamie Foxx. On this smash, which was #1 for one week in September 2007, West proved he could do it on his own. It won a Grammy for Best Rap Solo Performance..

18. Miley Cyrus, "Party In The U.S.A.," 4,105,000. This summer anthem was #2 for three weeks, beginning in August 2009. It was the teen star's fourth top 10 hit, following "See You Again," "7 Things" and "The Climb." Cyrus, 17, is the youngest artist on this list..

19. Lady Antebellum, "Need You Now," 4,028,000. This country/pop smash echoes such Eagles classics as "New Kid In Town" and "Lyin' Eyes." It was #2 for two weeks in March 2010. Grammy nominations for Record and Song of the Year are a foregone conclusion..

20. Leona Lewis, "Bleeding Love," 4,026,000. This is odd: No American Idol alumnus has had a 4 million digital seller, but a winner on Britain's The X Factor did the trick. This elegant ballad was #1 for four weeks, beginning in April 2008. It was Lewis' first Hot 100 single. It was nominated for a Grammy for Record of the Year.
The bolded songs are all quite good.

However, the fact that Soulja Boy made it to number one is simply appalling to people with good taste.

People like to dance. What else can you say really.

i have acquired almost all of those songs
:ninja:

I figured a Michael Jackson tune surely would have been in the top five.

I didn't think anything that old would be on the list. I figure the kids out there who are listening to Michael Jackson ripped their parents' Michael Jackson albums onto their computers.

This can also double as "The 20 Most Annoying/Played Out songs in Recent Memory". Ugh.

I only like the "I'm Yours" single up there. The rest is not my style.

Wow. You can tell around what time legal downloading really caught on.

These type of lists are all about who is popular at the time. It is no indication of who is most talented, or who will stand the test of time. Miley Cyrus is on there, for goodness sakes.

that miley song is catch as heck :embarassed:

These type of lists are all about who is popular at the time.

Sort of. iTunes and other LEGAL digital downloading companies have only been widespread for a few years. That's why there's so many recent performers. Had Napster been legit 10 years ago it would be a radically different list with *NSYNC at the top. The fact that this list includes songs from 3 years ago comes to show that not every song is gonna get 4-6 million downloads. A decade from now we'll still be seeing Black Eyed Peas and Lady Gaga in the top 20.

A decade from now we'll still be seeing Black Eyed Peas and Lady Gaga in the top 20.
Possibly. But I mean, really, Miley Cyrus and Ke$ha?

Really? Really?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"