The 2011 Basement Awards!

****, forgot to post awards last night. Better late than never, aye?

Best Developed Character

Sure, we're almost always playing with comic book fiction. It's a genre that basically personifies the adolescent fantasies of being stronger than you are, smarter than you are, braver than you are, and even more well costumed than you are. But a character is nothing if we don't put a least a piece of our souls into it. Why read about Superman saving the day if he's got no real personal insight to doing so? Batman doesn't read nearly as well if we don't draw upon our own personal demons to portray him. Spider-Man can never be flat and flashy, otherwise he doesn't work. Hell, even the villains need a twinge of development to keep them entertaining.

These are the nominees that kept it real, but also kept it grounded...

The Atom - MST3K_4ever, Ultimate DC

Dick Grayson - Andy C., Ultimate DC

The Archangel - trustyside-kick, Create-A-Hero

Edward Nygma - Byrd Man, Ultimate DC

Pinup - Erin, Create-A-Hero

Icon - NiteMare Shape, Create-A-Hero

And the winner is...

Multiple people. Because in an RPG awards first, we don't have just a two-way tie. We have three ****ers going home with the gold!

RPGAwardsBestDevChar2011-2.png

RPGAwardsBestDevChar2011-3.png

RPGAwardsBestDevChar2011-1.png

Congrats.

Alright, since the activity is dwindling down, we're just gonna finish this **** off tonight. So first award of the final evening...

Best Fight

Superhero fiction is nothing without a little slobber-knocking. I mean, what is the basic point of superheroism in general? To save the world, and inspire others? **** that noise! It's all about rough housin' with evil creatures and superpowered madmen in a display of vain cruelty and supremeacy!

Here are the nominees for Best Fight...

Bane vs. Batman II - Spike_x1/Batman, Ultimate DC

Jason Todd vs. Batman & Damian Wayne - trustyside-kick/Bounce/Byrd Man, World of Heroes

Guardians vs. STRIKE - Various, Create-A-Hero

The Archangel vs. STRIKE's new metas - trustyside-kick, Create-A-Hero

And the winner of this gorefest is....

RPGAwardsBestFight2011.png

:awesome:

Best Newcomer!

N00Bs, newbies, greenhorns, ***holes. We call them many things. They're all wet behind the ears and full of piss and vinegar, and some of them aren't Godawful. (This guy excluded) Not too many standout newbies this year, but the ones who showed up made one hell of an impact.

Here are the nominees...

Erin

Nicodemus

And the award goes to...

RPGAwardsBestNewcomer2011.png

Best GM

A gamemaster's job is vital to the livelihood of an RPG. If a GM sucks, a game tends to be less successful. Which is totally saying that every failed RPG is the GM's fault, all of my failed ones included. That, and I forced everyone to wear saddles and let me ride them like a horse. But that's not the point. A Gamemaster's responsibilities are as great as his or her's contributions to the story in the IC thread, and if any of us are lucky enough to guide a successful game, we've tasted what it's like to do the job right.

Here are the nominees for Best GM...

wiegeabo - One Universe, Create-A-Hero
NiteMare Shape - Create-A-Hero

And the winner is...

RPGAwardsBestGM2011.png

Most Improved

You may have sucked, but you got better. You may have been good, but you made the jump to ****ing awesome! Either way, this award is for you!

sumowrestler

Carnage27

sabetoonth

Bounce

And the winner is....

Repeat, *****es!

RPGAwardsMostImpPlayer2011.png

Glad I didn't win that one.

I'm basically the best there is, so I couldn't have improved.

Kidding:oldrazz:

Lifetime Achievement Award

What is there to really say? Beyond "hey, you ****s, get a life!", of course. This award honors the very best in longevity, the people that we constantly try to scam out of staying around, but somehow manage to convince us that they're still worth a damn. Whether it's their kind and graceful mannerisms out of continuity, or their compelling characters within continuity, we simply choose to honor the very best and brightest of the forums with this award.

So who's the old coot that's going to get it this year? Here are the nominees for the 2011 Lifetime Achievement...

trustyside-kick

MST3K 4ever

Harlekin

Batman

Byrd Man

And as last year's winner, I humbly present my successor...

....s. That's right. It's another tie.

RPGAwardsRPGLifeAchiev2011-2.png

RPGAwardsRPGLifeAchiev2011.png

Breakout Player

Breakout! The winner of this award isn't someone who just improved during the year, they stepped their game up so much that they became a force to be reckoned with. Whether it's through posting, GMing, or just being all kinds of awesome. I remember I won these during our first awards. And if the winner is anything like me, they won it through threats, intimidation, and promises of sexual favors.

The nominees...

Erin

sabetoonth

Carnage27

And the Hyper goes to...

RPGAwardsBreakoutPlayofYear2011.png

Thanks everyone! Means a lot that you guys voted for me.

Now...POST IN ONE EARTH!

Holy **** I won again :awesome:

I'd just like to thank all those people who cared enough to read the crap I post.

And I never voted for myself :o

WOW! Thank you all very much! It's an honor to be sharing this award with Trusty!

Over the years I've played some good characters and yep I've played some crap ones too....but through it all I've had the honor and the joy of playing with some of the most creative people I've ever seen. As much as I love posting and writing it's the people here that keep me coming back here year after year, you all have indulged me in a lot of storytelling and so with that I say thank you all and God Bless one and all.

Misc. MVP

The Misc. section is a weird, wild place. Jedi, zombies, user-created heroes, Sherlock Holmes, and DC and Marvel characters mingling together in an affront to God! The MVP embodies the spirit of the Misc. section...so they're a ****er with multiple personalities? :huh:

Anyway, nominees!

NiteMare Shape

Byrd Man

Hound55

trustyside-kick

and winner!
RPGAwardsMVPMisc2011.png

Marvel MVP

Spider-Man. Captain America. The X-Men. The House of Ideas, as they're affectionately known, is home to some of the world's most famous and captivating superheroes of all time. And yet in the shadow of this award, we have no currently running Marvel RPG's remaining. The closest that we actually have is One Earth, which has garnered some success and hopefully will help raise the stakes in bringing Marvel back in a serious presence.

The nominees for this award helped keep the spirit alive, even in the face of Marvel's eventual decline from this section of the boards. The nominees for Marvel MVP are...

Eddie Brock

Andy C.

And the winner is, to no surprise...

RPGAwardsMVPMarvel2011.png

Wow, I really don't know what to say. Everyone that was nominated definitely deserve it, and without them, the Misc games wouldn't be the same.

So, thank you.

Yes! I brought the last surviving Marvel RPG to its doom, and still I'm rewarded! BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

DC MVP!

DC! WoH ended it's epic run and now WF's has taken its place. Meanwhile, UDC runs steady and true. All the nominees have helped to contribute to the success of all three games, past and present.

MST3K

wiegeabo

Batman

Byrd Man

And the winner is...

MOTHER****ER!!!! :cmad::cmad::cmad:

RPGAwardsMVPDC2011-2.png

Apparently, it was a tie.

**** YOU!

RPGAwardsMVPDC2011-1.png

Overall MVP

It's been a fun ride, this week, but the awards have finally come to this. The Overall MVP. The ****er that, no matter what shape the games would be in, they all need in order to make work in some capacity. This person is vital to the livelihood of not only the RPG's, but the community aswell, and the very strange family that we've all built for ourselves. This person has been with us through it all - they've either made us laugh, made us cry, pissed us off, or turned us on in a sexual manner. Whatever the case may be, I don't think anyone can ever dispute the winner of this as the Most Valuable Player that we have.

The nominees for this year's Overall MVP are...

wiegeabo

Byrd Man

And the winner, who dethrones Byrd Man after three consecutive wins, is...

Wait for it...

...himself

RPGAwardsOverallMVP2011.png

Byrd wins it a fourth year! Goddammit! :cmad:

Thank you to all who participated in this year's Basement Awards!

I've been your host, Batman, and we'll be seeing you... some point in the future. Maybe!

My acceptance speech. Just sub out "Buck Nasty" for trusty:

[YT]7Dzxef1muoQ[/YT]

Thank you guys for whomever voted for me for the Lifetime Achievement award. It's a real honor and a showing of appreciation for the dedication I've been able to give these games for about 6-7 years and I am grateful. Hopefully I can become more active this semester to make up for the past year of "not being as active as I used to be"-ness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"