The Authority

04ee276b111e2e6da25dc3db6481cc3066d66846_284x437.jpg

Everything else is inspired by Morrison...

The Authority is the one film I'm most curious about, as I know the least about them and it is placed as the 2nd installment of this DCU.

It's as much a chance to expose and push obscure characters that Gunn is known to do, as much as it may tell us where Chapter 1 & 2 are going.

Not a big fan of Robert Meyer Burnett, but I think he's onto something.

The Authority is the first superhero team in the DCU that the Justice League ultimately replaces. Maybe the two groups even come into direct conflict with each other.

I could see a thing where the heroes are all operating on their own and there is no Justice League and The Authority thinks they aren't doing enough so that is why they are imposing their will, which forces Batman and Superman and others to team up to stop them because they are going too far and seizing power.

I cannot stress enough how much I dislike the concept of reducing The Authority to a prop to make the Justice League look better. That plays so hard into the passive aggressive, whiny metatextual superhero storytelling that Geoff Johns has been specializing in for the last decade - major Doomsday Clock this is why traditional superhero comics are inherently superior style twaddle.

I cannot stress enough how much I dislike the concept of reducing The Authority to a prop to make the Justice League look better. That plays so hard into the passive aggressive, whiny metatextual superhero storytelling that Geoff Johns has been specializing in for the last decade - major Doomsday Clock this is why traditional superhero comics are inherently superior style twaddle.

I agree, that metatextual traditional vs modern stuff often feels very tropy, feeling only relevant to these comic book universes, and not terribly interesting thematic territory for real life.

I just hope they find a way to make it more relevant to audiences, ie. staying true to yourself instead of going with the popular mindset at the time. Who cares what the kids are saying online about the way you look (like wearing trunks on spandex), just be a decent person. That kind of thing.

Or perhaps with regards to modern cancel culture, giving the guilty the benefit of the doubt instead of being quick to 'destroy' the guilty, with 'heroes' these days often feeling like they have free reign to unleash a punishment more severe than the crime, dishing out justice without a second's hesitation.

But anyways, with regards to the Authority themselves, I wouldn't be so sure that they'll end up being the villains for the JL. Since Gunn said the two movies lead into each other, for all we know the Authority will be in the Superman film, character foils that call into question Clark's methods, but ultimately characters Clark has to learn to find patience to accommodate (instead of forcing his own morality on them?), leading into their own film where Supes sends them on a mission in space or something (like in Morisson's comic, where they go to Warworld).

Last edited:
Yeah Luke Evans would CRUSH it as Midnighter. I would go with Lee Pace for Apollo but Bomer would also be good.

Lee Pace is my pick for Bats, but he'd kill it as either of them for sure. Evans as well.

A part of me wants to see Henry Cavill as Midnight or Apollo just to watch the internet explode.

I admit that I haven't read any of The Authority comics and am not very familiar with them, but from what I can gather they seem very... morally opposed to the more traditional superheroes in the DC universe like Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman. So I am not sure how you could put them all in the same universe and not have conflict.

Maybe Gunn keeps them in their own multiverse where they get to be the main characters of their own story, but I doubt that is going to happen.

I wonder if this could potentially lead to other WildStorm characters like Stormwatch and WildCATs. The 90s kid in me would love to see live action versions of them.

If not Batman, I think this is the project Ben Affleck will end up directing.

Appareantly they're deciding between two projects and seeing the slate I'm pretty sure it's either this one or BATB (or maybe Superman in case Gunn doesn't direct that but unlikely)

It also makes more sense for him. Granted, he's never done anything /this/ subversive before, but I think them being so unknown, the story already being worked out by Gunn, and the fact that it'd probably be kinda fun to do makes me think he might pick this one.

Wonder who will be writing this. Honestly Gunn on this makes more sense based on his prior writing than superman somewhat. Could see Drew Goddard out of the stable of writers they assembled initially , write this actually.

I wish Affleck would just go away and do his own thing. I’m so tired of hearing his name come up and all the “will he or won’t he direct/play Batman or something else.” I think he’s a good director and even a good actor when he’s not doing comic book stuff. But you would think after Daredevil (strike one) and Batman (strike two) he would just want to move on from superheroes. I wish he would.

My fan cast for The Authority, James Gunn's team that he's introducing into the DCU

- Midnighter- Luke Evans
- Apollo- Jonathan Groff
- Swift- Liu Yifei
- Jenny Sparks- Riley Keough
- Henry Bendix- Charles Dance
- Kaizen Gamorra- Sung Kang
- Doctor- Rupert Grint
- The Engineer- Michelle Rodriguez
- Jack Hawksmoor- Vince Vaughn
- Jenny Quantum- Jamie Chung

Sigh, I'll be honest, one of the problems is. . . ultimately, the story of the Authority is the story of Jenny Sparks. The Authority without her is like the JLA without Superman, only IMO worse. However, Jenny Sparks is tied by concept pretty dang strongly to the 20th century. You either have to rework her concept from the ground up, or make her a posthumous character, or make the Authority a period piece. None of those options really appeal.

Sigh, I'll be honest, one of the problems is. . . ultimately, the story of the Authority is the story of Jenny Sparks. The Authority without her is like the JLA without Superman, only IMO worse. However, Jenny Sparks is tied by concept pretty dang strongly to the 20th century. You either have to rework her concept from the ground up, or make her a posthumous character, or make the Authority a period piece. None of those options really appeal.

Who is to say that the entire DCU won't be "period", or at least placed in some undefined time period (ala Batman 89, Batman Returns, Superman Returns etc.).

Who is to say that the entire DCU won't be "period", or at least placed in some undefined time period (ala Batman 89, Batman Returns, Superman Returns etc.).

I suppose its possible, but that opens its own giant can of worms. Put simply, I have a very hard time imagining a good 2020s DC arising from a 90s Wildstorm. They are just too tonally inconsistent.

Quitely's artwork is so absurdly good. It has this weird liquid-y texture to it that I love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"