The Best Directors of All Time Tournament - Part 1

Well, we did have some foreign directors who got eliminated early. Bergman somehow went out in the first round, I believe. Fellini was eliminated by Coppola.

Anyway, this was not supposed to be an end-all, be-all list like PW said. It will be interesting to see how the top 20 films turn out for SHH.

Was it supposed to be? I took the list as good representation of the film tastes of the hype (or the film boards, at least). It's not supposed to an end-all, be-all of lists.

No. off course not. I know that. It was just a remark. Outside of Spielberg and Fincher , i'm actually fond of the list.

I'll expand it to the top 15.....

1. Stanley Kubrick
2. Alfred Hitchcock
3. Steven Spielberg
4. Martin Scorsese
5. Sergio Leone
6. Orson Welles
7. Francis Ford Coppola
8. Akira Kurosawa
9. Billy Wilder
10. David Fincher
11. Sidney Lumet
12. Woody Allen
13. John Carpenter
14. Charlie Chaplin
15. Federico Fellini

I think The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West and Once Upon a Time in America are masterpieces and his others are all great underrated. He has a pretty impress filmography.
No doubt, and I love him, but I just think there are several directors with more masterpieces than that on their resumes, who made more significant contributions to the language of film as we know it than he did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"