The Best Directors of All Time Tournament - Part 1

I'd add Francis Ford Coppola to that list.

What about the classic directors, like David Lean or Robert Wise, Billy Wilder, William Wyler, Frank Capra, George Cukor, Howard Hawks, John Huston, John Ford, Charlie Chaplin and Orson Welles?

Have all these been voted on?

I take it you've just joined this thread?

And damn, Hitchcock lost to Kubrick? :argh:

^ I know it's really a shame, I love both but Hitchcock is better imo.

Hitchcock probably has had more influence on other directors than anyone else.

Well there we have it.

Stanley Kubrick wins the Best Directors of All Time Tournament

Alfred Hitchcock comes in 2nd, with Steven Spielberg in 3rd and Martin Scorsese in 4th.

Again, thanks to everyone who voted! I will be back next year to finish things off with my Best Films of All Time Tournament.

Thanks for running things so smoothly DirtyHarry!

Thanks guys.

And I just went back and checked, the top ten according to SHH are (in order):

1. Stanley Kubrick
2. Alfred Hitchcock
3. Steven Spielberg
4. Martin Scorsese
5. Sergio Leone
6. Orson Welles
7. Francis Ford Coppola
8. Akira Kurosawa
9. Billy Wilder
10. David Fincher

And with my future films tourney, I am planning on making it an even 100 contestants and then getting a top 20 or so list according to the voting.

Congratulations DirtyHarry on completing this tournament! I had a lot of fun (even though Leone lost his huge lead haha).

Looking at that top 10, Leone looks a little out of place to me (even though I voted for him!). Otherwise, it looks about right to me. :up:

Good job DirtyHarry, it was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to your next tournament.

:up:

Thanks guys.

1. Stanley Kubrick
2. Alfred Hitchcock
3. Steven Spielberg
4. Martin Scorsese
5. Sergio Leone
6. Orson Welles
7. Francis Ford Coppola
8. Akira Kurosawa
9. Billy Wilder
10. David Fincher
It is a decent list but half the names don't belong on that list - Spielberg, Scorsese, Leone, Coppola and Fincher.

How the **** did Fincher make the Top 10? :huh:

And I think foreign directors are very poorly represented. Surely we could have placed Fellini or Godard or Bergman or Renoir up there.

And I think foreign directors are very poorly represented. Surely we could have placed Fellini or Godard or Bergman or Renoir up there.
We tried. Or at least some of us did. :oldrazz:

Thanks guys.

1. Stanley Kubrick
2. Alfred Hitchcock
3. Steven Spielberg
4. Martin Scorsese
5. Sergio Leone
6. Orson Welles
7. Francis Ford Coppola
8. Akira Kurosawa
9. Billy Wilder
10. David Fincher

It is a decent list but half the names don't belong on that list - Spielberg, Scorsese, Leone, Coppola and Fincher.

This is Sight & Sound’s last list of the top 10 movies of all-time. The directors common to the SHH list are bolded:

Vertigo - Alfred Hitchcock
Citizen Kane - Orson Welles
Tokyo Story - Ozu Yasujiro
The Rules of the Game - Jean Renoir
Sunrise - FW Murnau
2001: A Space Odyssey - Stanley Kubrick
The Searchers - John Ford
Man with a Movie Camera - Dziga Vertov
The Passion of Joan of Arc - Carl Dreyer
- Federico Fellini

:word:

Why don't you think Spielberg belongs on the list? He's one of the best directors. The man knows when and how to make popcorn material and some really good serious stuff.

Spielberg not even deserves a top 50 worldwide , much less a podium.

Like slumcat said , 10 directors , 6 americans (and 8 of them basically made their life in the us studio system). I know the boards probably are visited much more by americans , but i don't think it's a great representation of 100 years of global cinema. Theres so much more than american productions.

Even so , if someone ends up watching the whole filmography from those 10 directors , at least he'll have a good time .

Why don't you think Spielberg belongs on the list? He's one of the best directors. The man knows when and how to make popcorn material and some really good serious stuff.
I love Spielberg. He's undoubtedly a great director. But he ain't top 10 of all time. Specially looking at the giants that did not make the list, Spielberg is small fry compared to them.

This is Sight & Sound’s last list of the top 10 movies of all-time. The directors common to the SHH list are bolded:

Vertigo - Alfred Hitchcock
Citizen Kane - Orson Welles
Tokyo Story - Ozu Yasujiro
The Rules of the Game - Jean Renoir
Sunrise - FW Murnau
2001: A Space Odyssey - Stanley Kubrick
The Searchers - John Ford
Man with a Movie Camera - Dziga Vertov
The Passion of Joan of Arc - Carl Dreyer
- Federico Fellini

:word:
Here is TSPDT's critical aggregate.

1. Alfred Hitchcock

2. Orson Welles
3. Stanley Kubrick
4. Federico Fellini
5. Jean-Luc Godard
6. Jean Renoir
7. John Ford
8. Akira Kurosawa
9. Francis Ford Coppola

10.Ingmar Bergman

Coppola is on here because they take on the aggregate of the greatest films and come up with the list of director. Yes, he has made 4 great films, but that is the extent of his watchable filmography. A great director is one where you can watch even a lesser work and get some gold, not so at all with Coppola.

I love Spielberg. He's undoubtedly a great director. But he ain't top 10 of all time. Specially looking at the giants that did not make the list, Spielberg is small fry compared to them.

This. Absolutely this.

The guy is a good director, but many of his movies are more popular than actually good.

Looking at that top 10, Leone looks a little out of place to me (even though I voted for him!). Otherwise, it looks about right to me. :up:

I think The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West and Once Upon a Time in America are masterpieces and his others are all great underrated. He has a pretty impress filmography.

Then again I'll admit once again that I'm bias towards him.

Spielberg not even deserves a top 50 worldwide , much less a podium.

Like slumcat said , 10 directors , 6 americans (and 8 of them basically made their life in the us studio system). I know the boards probably are visited much more by americans , but i don't think it's a great representation of 100 years of global cinema. Theres so much more than american productions.

Even so , if someone ends up watching the whole filmography from those 10 directors , at least he'll have a good time .

Was it supposed to be? I took the list as good representation of the film tastes of the hype (or the film boards, at least). It's not supposed to an end-all, be-all of lists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"