World The Captain America Comics Recommendations Thread

Keyser Soze

AW YEEEAH!
Reaction score
Thor has one, so I figure Captain America was about due a similar thread. What are the comics and graphic novels that every Captain America fan should read? I'll start the ball rolling:

Captain America Omnibus

This hefty tome collects issues 1-25 of Ed Brubaker's landmark run on Captain America, and has a couple of bonus one-shots and a bunch of extra content crammed in for good measure. For those of us who missed jumping in on Brubaker's run at the ground floor, this is the perfect catch-up tool, made even better by oversized pages with glossy, high-quality paper. A great collection of a great story. And from there, the next step is obvious:

The Death of Captain America: The Death of the Dream
The Death of Captain America: The Burden of Dreams
The Death of Captain America: The Man Who Bought America

It all might seem a bit redundant now that we know Steve Rogers is coming back, but it's anything but. This epic story is what finally sold me completely on Captain America, and by taking Steve off-stage, Brubaker was able to make a powerful statement on what he means to the Marvel Universe.

Thor has one, so I figure Captain America was about due a similar thread. What are the comics and graphic novels that every Captain America fan should read? I'll start the ball rolling:

Captain America Omnibus

This hefty tome collects issues 1-25 of Ed Brubaker's landmark run on Captain America, and has a couple of bonus one-shots and a bunch of extra content crammed in for good measure. For those of us who missed jumping in on Brubaker's run at the ground floor, this is the perfect catch-up tool, made even better by oversized pages with glossy, high-quality paper. A great collection of a great story. And from there, the next step is obvious:

The Death of Captain America: The Death of the Dream
The Death of Captain America: The Burden of Dreams
The Death of Captain America: The Man Who Bought America

It all might seem a bit redundant now that we know Steve Rogers is coming back, but it's anything but. This epic story is what finally sold me completely on Captain America, and by taking Steve off-stage, Brubaker was able to make a powerful statement on what he means to the Marvel Universe.

Check out The Secret Empire and War and Remembrance.

Is Captain America: Red, White and Blue any good?

4222_4_1.jpg

I loved this mini-series! I thought it was very underrated; my only complaint was that Maguire only made it through 3 1/2 issues. I forget who finished it. Art was decent, but it wasn't Maguire. I highly recommend it. And of course the entire run of the current series.

Last edited:
4222_4_1.jpg

I loved this mini-series! I thought it was very underrated; my only complaint was that Maguire only made it through 3 1/2 issues. I forget who finished it. Art was decent, but it wasn't Maguire. I highly recommend it. And of course the entire run of the current series.
I second this pick,but only for 1-3. The art for 4 is horrid,and i'm amazed Marvel didn't get a better artist to fill in or at least get the guy who helped pencil 3 to pencil issue 4. The BIGGEST disappointment in my comic collecting life is Maguire not finishing this book,and i'm not overstating that.
I know Cap is barely in it,but Daredevil Born Again has some incredible Cap moments. He's in the last issue,hardly in maybe 3 pages combined,but it's a powerful cameo. My fav line about Cap is in that book.

I know exactly what you're talking about and I could not agree more!:up:

The 'Cap No More storyline was my big jump on point for Cap in the 80's issues 332-350 is a great read. Surprisingly the storyline had some of the darkest moments in comics at that time with Walkers parents being murdered and him going insane ripping into L and R Winger, The Resistants and the Watchdogs.

I wish they would collect these into a TPB, my comics are well worn after multiple re-reads.

There are several Cap arcs that are good
1. The Winter Solider
2. War & Rememberance
3. Man out of Time
4. The Captain
5. Winter in America
6. Red, white and Blue
7. The return of Captain America
8. Freedom and Liberty
9. The Sentinel of Liberty
10. Old wounds

Users who are viewing this thread