The Creator new sci-fi movie from Gareth Edwards

This was just alright I guess. JDW gave nothing in a lot of scenes, Gemma Chan was actually decent here though and usually I find her to be pretty bland as an actress. The movie also couldve been shorter. Edward’s knows how to stretch a dollar and make a movie look expensive but the two movies I’ve seen from him (this and Godzilla) have been disappointing.

Man, I was really loving this first hour of this but it kind of went off the rails in the second half IMO. I still ended up enjoying it though because of the gorgeous visuals, the tone and all the cool worldbuilding but I can understand why its receiving such polarizing reactions from some people.

That being said this is far from a bad film IMO and its a shame that it isn't doing well at the BO because its easily one of the best looking sci-fi films I've seen in a while and more than worthy of the bigscreen.

Also, I thought badass, Ripley esque Allison Janney stole the show.

Yeah I saw it today and I was really into it. I thought it was emotionally engaging and visually stunning. At the very least, it looks better that 90% of movies out there with 2-3 times the budget. My date was crying by the end; it didn’t move me quite that much but I was still invested in the characters. JDW, Chan and Janney were all excellent. Someone tell Ralph Ineson to stop doing an American accent though because he sounds way more intimidating when he speaks with his normal accent.

9FU4uKh.jpg

The Creator

It's crazy to think Neill Blomkamp made a movie this year and it wasn't this.

MY FULL REVIEW
4/5

DOA at the box office. Going to lose a lot of money.

I thought the movie was pretty good.

I don't get the backlash.
"Backlash", if there really is any, is to the idea that the world was about to get their new T2, Fury Road, 2049, etc. from Gareth Edwards of all people.

JDW isn't much of a draw yet either. He certainly doesn't have his Dad's spark/charisma on screen.

This movie was both weirdly over-hyped and under-promoted.

I've yet to see a JDW role where he DOES have charisma. He seems to be getting cast in these vapid, blank faced roles. I feel like he has it in him but he's not choosing projects that bring the charisma out of him.

Despite a predictable plot, I enjoyed this one a good bit. Surprised people saying they felt nothing watching this, as I felt the last 30 mins or so especially were quite emotionally charged. Some really cool sequence's in the movie and other directors should be ashamed they can't make a movie this good looking with over double the budget.

I thought JDW, Chan and Janney were all really good in their roles, and the kid also considering it's her first role. 7.5/10.

Finally caught this and ....meh. It was OK. Well shot and directed but i did not feel anything and I feel like I was supposed to.

Watched this last night and came off it very frustrated. Because, the aesthetics were fantastic - and believable - blending new technology with traditional architecture and human clothing and so on to make it really look like a world 40 years from now. The plot was intriguing and the first third of the film really had me invested in where it was going.

Then it devolved into a repetitive series of plot holes and questionable choices. It felt like the screenplay just fell apart and worked towards a climatic point that had already been written regardless of how weak the foundations were throughout the movie.

I struggle to understand also how JDW keeps getting lead roles. He seems to have 2 expressions and is utterly devoid of the usual leading man charisma; maybe they expect it to suddenly appear because his father has it in spades, maybe it’s just nepotism, I don’t know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"