The Crypt: The Official Thread for the 111th Congress

The Senator

Avenger
Reaction score
We need a thread dedicated to the new Congress. Here are some interesting developments in regards to the Senate:

Senate Committee Musical Chairs
  • Robert Byrd will step down as Chairman of the Appropriations Committee, with Daniel Inouye next in line to take over
  • Inouye will then give up his Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee chairmanship, with John D. Rockefeller taking over
  • Rockefeller chairs the Senate Intelligence Committee, so he will give up that chairmanship. Diane Feinstein is apparently interesting in chairing that committee now.
  • Feinstein will have to give up her role as Chairwoman of the Senate Rules Committee to chair the Intel Committee. Chuck Schumer will be the new Rules Committee chairman.

Foreign Relations Committee Debacle
  • Since Joe Biden is the Vice President-elect, he will resign from the Senate in January, leaving the Chairmanship of the Foreign Relations Committee open. John Kerry is next in line to assume the chairmanship, since Chris Dodd will remain in charge of the Banking and Housing Committee.
  • If Kerry is selected as Secretary of State, Russ Feingold is next in line for the job.
  • However, some have argued that Feingold may be too liberal for the position, which could present the potential for infighting in the FR Committee.
  • Despite this, Harry Reid has stated that Feingold will chair the FR Committee if Kerry becomes Secretary of State, due to his seniority.

Joe Lieberman: Stay or Go?
  • Harry reid and Joe Lieberman have discussed whether he will stay on as Chairman of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee
  • It looks as though Lieberman will not be in charge, according to several sources close to Reid
  • If Lieberman is forced to step aside, Daniel Akaka is next in line to take over. However, Akaka wants to stay on board as Chairman of the Veterans Affairs Committee.
  • Tom Harper is next in after Akaka line to take over the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, if Lieberman was forced to step aside.

Two Open Senate Seats: Who Will Replace Obama and Biden?

• Beau Biden is considered the top choice to replace Joe Biden
  • However, Beau Biden will leave for Iraq at the end of the year, so he may be out of the equation
  • David Plouffe, a Deleware native, is considered to be a strong possibility if Biden were unable to serve
  • Meanwhile, Jesse Jackson Jr. wants Obama's Senate seat
  • Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich has stated that he has yet to make a decision as to who he will appoint, or when he'll make an announcement
  • Tammy Duckworth, Luis Gutierrez and Bobby Rush are also considered strong candidates for the seat

I thought his thread deserved a bump with all of hubub about the Chambliss race and the ongoing Franken/Colemon race.

So here it goes...

*BUMP*

I'm pretty sure Coleman is going to win over Franken.

Also I thought Jim Martin bringing in T.I. and Ludacris to appeal to the black and youth vote was really really sad.

I'm pretty sure Coleman is going to win over Franken.

Also I thought Jim Martin bringing in T.I. and Ludacris to appeal to the black and youth vote was really really sad.

Last I heard, Franken had just taken the lead in the recount.

I fear Franken is going to steal that election in Minnesota.

There's alot to be said for making sure every vote counts Norm. :cwink:

I smell something fishy whenever ballots start shooting out of Democratic *******s - as the case is with Mr. Franken.

I smell something fishy whenever ballots start shooting out of Democratic *******s - as the case is with Mr. Franken.

I smell something fishy whenever valid voters are somehow 'disqualified' from voting. (And those disqualified voters are usually democratic-leaning voters.)

FBI INVESTIGATING SENATOR COLEMON, PAPER REPORTS
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/10/fbi-investigating-coleman_n_149840.html

Federal investigators are looking into allegations that a longtime friend and benefactor tried to steer money to U.S. Sen. Norm Coleman, the Pioneer Press has learned.

Agents with the FBI have talked to or made efforts to talk to people in Texas familiar with the allegations, according to a source familiar with the situation.

Houston is where the first of two lawsuits was filed alleging Nasser Kazeminy, a Bloomington financier, tried to steer $100,000 to Coleman via his wife's Minneapolis employer. The second suit, filed in Delaware, alleges Kazeminy initially tried to get money directly to the senator.

Both Coleman and Kazeminy have denied any wrongdoing, and Coleman last month said he welcomes an investigation.

I really don't want Franken or Coleman to win. They're both pretty meh in my opinion.

Well, it does look like Coleman will win. I can't stand Franken, so I'd be happy if anyone besides him won. So I guess Coleman is ok.

Norm Coleman is King of the *****ebags, though, so I'd just prefer neither candidate won and that the seat remained vacant for six years.

Norm Coleman is King of the *****ebags, though, so I'd just prefer neither candidate won and that the seat remained vacant for six years.

Well yeah, i'll vote for that....

That sounds like a good idea. But I think we can both agree that the King of the *****ebags is this guy

Mitt_Romney%2C_2006.jpg

I'd hate him even more if it weren't for his hair :cmad:

Last edited:
That sounds like a good idea. But I think we can both agree that the King of the *****ebags is this guy

Mitt_Romney%2C_2006.jpg

I'd hate him even more if it weren't for his hair :cmad:

No no no... he's the Biggest *****e in the Universe. He's so *****ey, the *****ebag royal family had to give him the boot.

Ahh yes, Mitt Romney. Something about the guy tells me that his picture is next to the word '*****e' in the dictionary.

(Is that word in the dictionary? I don't know...but if it is, his picture is definately next to it!
icon11.gif
)

why are people bringing up romney in a thread about congress?

i don't see how romney is a huge *****e when he can run a successful economy. granted, there isn't much else i like about him. but having the economy suck, it sure would be great to follow his model.

why are people bringing up romney in a thread about congress?

i don't see how romney is a huge *****e when he can run a successful economy. granted, there isn't much else i like about him. but having the economy suck, it sure would be great to follow his model.

When the '*****ebag' debate begins, Romney is brought in as the default standard. If you notice, the word was invoked with Norm Colemon, which then led into what we currently have going on. :cwink:

We can start with his "I was for ____ policy but now am against it because I need to win the nomination" antics, and we can end with his "Democrats want to invoke Jihad" speech he gave when he conceded from the primaries.

As for his economic stance... well, we've been cutting taxes for quite some time, and gee, looks like the economy is in the proverbial septic tank...

So how 'bout that 111th Congress? :oldrazz:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"