The Dark Knight V's Indiana Jones At The Box Office.

google it, hm?

maybe you can point it to the page on google that shows what people are looking forward to?

i think that spielburg and lucas thought to themselves "yeah, it's indy, even if it looks like crap, and we criminally under-advertise it, people will still go see it, and it'll make crazy bank." but the fact is that it is very under-advertised, and it just doesn't really look that good.

Like everyone else on this site, you've forgotten how movies are advertised, we're about two weeks from release and if you haven't noticed Indy's advertising has picked up considerablely because this is the point when all movies start their big push. Posters are at tons of bus stops these days, they've got a video game coming out, pop cases have Indy plastered on them. Even fast forwarding through commercials I think I've seen glimpses of an Indy promo on every show I've watched this week. It's not being under-advertised, it's being advertised just right.

I'm expecting The Dark Knight to make less than Indiana Jones at the box office. I think Indiana Jones has a bigger, more expandable fan base than The Dark Knight has. It will also attract older audiences, which I think TDK will have some trouble doing.

I'm looking forward to TDK more, but I'm excited about Indy.

Indiana Jones will beat Batman. Narnia may beat them both and if one movie gets to $300 million this summer I'll put my money on Narnia.

Let's remember that some people here believed that Begins would beat Revenge of the Sith and Superman Returns would beat the 2nd Pirate's movie. We all know how those turned out.

I'm equally excited to see both movies for sure. I've enjoyed both franchises even thru their bad movies,and good ones. From what I've seen from both movie trailers each looks like they are gonna live up to their hype. :brucebat::hoboj::indy:

Personally I think TDK cause it has pulled in that major fanbase as far as fans go. Ledgers unfortunate death will pay off aswell, then you count in the fact that iron man made 100,000,000 this past weekend and alot of those reels had the new trailer attached at least everyone in Saint Louis's biggest theater Ronnies 20 did. Plus getting the multiple views from bat-crazy fans and the viral nuts plus people who loved Begins, you have just as big a fan base for TDK as you do Indy.

Plus getting the multiple views from bat-crazy fans

I think if anything were to push TDK to the top, it would be this. That, and the people excited for it are definitely going to see it. I'm sure there are a ton more people in the 30+ range that want to see Indy than Batman, but they're less likely to go the movies and may just wait for DVD or TV or whatever, whereas Batman may have more fans in the teen-twenties demographic that go to the movies all the time anyway, and need less convincing. That's what Iron Man had going for it. I'd still wager Indy has a bigger fanbase, but a more casual unreliable one.

I think if anything were to push TDK to the top, it would be this. That, and the people excited for it are definitely going to see it. I'm sure there are a ton more people in the 30+ range that want to see Indy than Batman, but they're less likely to go the movies and may just wait for DVD or TV or whatever, whereas Batman may have more fans in the teen-twenties demographic that go to the movies all the time anyway, and need less convincing. That's what Iron Man had going for it. I'd still wager Indy has a bigger fanbase, but a more casual unreliable one.

This is mostly the case, especially about Indy having an older fanbase, but because of that, I think a lot of Dads are going to be dragging their kids to see Indy (whether they want to or not) and for every rabid goth Batfan that goes to see The Dark Knight a few times, there will be a Dad taking his entire family (3 other tickets in one showing.) So this is kind of a tricky one for me. it could be either one.

Indiana Jones isn't going to do nearly as well as people expect. The mainstream public just didn't care that much for another Jones.

Indiana Jones isn't going to do nearly as well as people expect. The mainstream public just didn't care that much for another Jones.
Hmmm, don't know about that,but I guess we will see..I don't think it will draw as much as TDK overall,but I'm willing to bet it will do decently..
In the end it does'nt really matter does it? I think these two movies plus Ironman and Hulk makes this a very good year of movies.

Given the amount of Dr. Jones nostalgia I've seen going around, I think you are kinda wrong on this one Norm.

Jones is going to make much, much more money, but I believe that The Dark Knight will get better rating in Rotten Tomatoes.

I think The Dark Knight will outgross Indiana Jones in North America, while the latter will win at the International Box Office. Either way, it is hard to tell because of two main factors for each respectively.

- In terms of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, how well will a fourth installment/distant sequel do at the box office?

Let's remember Live Free or Die Hard here. Yes, I understand that Indiana Jones is more popular and appealing than John McClane, but both franchises have been major hits at the box office. Die Hard With a Vengeance lost out to Toy Story as being the #1 movie of the year by a few million dollars. When Live Free or Die Hard came out, it wasn't one of the top contenders of the summer. Even though it opened at #1, and was a blockbuster, it did not make the huge numbers. The same thing could happen to Indy, regardless if it's Indy. It's not uncommon that the fourth installment of a franchise, let alone distant sequel, makes the huge numbers that it's predecessors made.

- In terms of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, how much money will it make really make with The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian opening a week before it, and Sex and the City: The Movie opening a week after it?

We know that Prince Caspian will be making the big bucks, and more than likely, Indy will debut at #1, but how strong will the legs of Prince Caspian be? No doubt, it's second week will be taking money away from Indy's opening weekend. Then the wildcard of the summer is Sex and the City: The Movie. There are the chances of it beinga major hit, and sleeper hit at that. It was an acclaimed and highly successful show, and people have been waiting a long time for the movie. The female audience must never be ignored. We all remembered what happened back in Summer 2006 with Superman Returns vs. The Devil Wears Prada. This is not fully a matter of different audience appeal, because Indy attracts the general audience. It is not solely targeting the male demographic. It appeals to every demographic just like it's predecessors have.

- In terms of The Dark Knight, how much anticipation will there actually be for this film?

Fanboyism/bias aside, there is not denying that Batman Begins did make truly amazing numbers back in 2005. However, it had great word of mouth, and was critically acclaimed just about everybody, and appealed to more than the male 18-30 demographic. The question will be whether this movie will actually make the amazing numbers that we at the Hype and others are hoping for. Will people think "Wow, Batman Begins was great. I wish I wouldn't have waited for the DVD. I'll see the next one?" The Joker will be what drives people to see this, but that is not absolute until July 18th comes around. We can only hope, not guarantee. It may seem like the hot shiznit on the net, but it is only the net. Snakes on a Plane had a massive net following, and it ended up bombing at the box office. However, this film also does have an amazing time for release, as it is basically unopposed by other major blockbusters, as opposed to Indy.

- In terms of The Dark Knight, what effect will Heath Ledger's death bring to the box office for this film?

Either this will drive people to see it to see his latest and possibly greatest role, or it may turn people away from it. How much sympathy will come into play? It has already affected the marketing for this film, for better or for worse.

...that's just me.

Given the amount of Dr. Jones nostalgia I've seen going around, I think you are kinda wrong on this one Norm.

Nostalgia is overestimated by many. A fourth installment is already pushing it, but this is also a distant sequel. It's amazing what 19 years can do, for better or for worse.

i think its a safe bet to say the two biggest films of the year will be between Indy and Batman

I think it's safe to say that you are seriously underestimating Iron Man's box office.

No matter what camp your in, be it Batman, indy, Hulk or Iron Man i think its a safe bet to say the two biggest films of the year will be between Indy and Batman, but who do you think will do better box office wise.

Personally as much as i'd like Batman to triumph over Indy i dont think it's gonna happen, though i think The Dark Knight will get the better reviews (i think Indy will initially get great 5 star reviews as its been a long time coming, much like Phantom Menace)

What are your thoughts on the Indiana Jones V's The Dark Knight? What film do you think looks better?

TDK looks better, in my opinion, and I also think TDK will smash Indy at the box office.

And the trailer didn't really excite me that much. Maybe it is that I've never been a big Indy fan, and I think Shia is an annoying kid.

I'm more excited about TDK, but not much, really. Still, I'll watch it on opening weekend to kick some Marvel butt..........:woot:

I voted for both for theres room enough for two great movies and dare i say 3 with Iron Man being amazing too.
I have always said these movies will fallow like this.

TDK 315 Million.

Iron Man 300 Million.

Indy 4 280 Million.

Domestically.

I just don't see Dead Mans Chest numbers for films this year with the recession and all.

I see alot of low 300 million dollar films or high 250 plus.
This year.

I say Iron Man and TDK will be very close will be really close.

Maybe it will be the same as in 1989: Batman is bigger domestically, Indiana Jones is bigger worldwide.

No matter what camp your in, be it Batman, indy, Hulk or Iron Man i think its a safe bet to say the two biggest films of the year will be between Indy and Batman

Domestically or worldwide? I doubt any of these movies can match Harry Potter worldwide. Especially not The Dark Knight.

I think that people are crazy if they believe that TDK will make Spidey numbers. Do to the rush out fatcor I can now see TDK opening to 100+mil but having the lame rush factor legs and ending with 275 to 285mil. A great gross BTW. International numbers will be worse unless the studio can finally get overseas moviegoers to be really interested in Batman. Thats going to be hard to do judging by the prevous movie's tallies.

The big fanboy movie is almost never the number one film so I think that Indy (which looks crappy to me) will be the highest grosser or Prince Caspian.

Indiana Jones, though I also look forward to TDK, which will make tons more than BB. Maybe #3 behind Indy & IM, or if BM fanboys are lucky #2.

Anyone who thinks kids don't like Indy are dumb, I've been hearing tons of stories about kids going crazy over Indy. Heck, there was a post in the IH forum that said these kids were more anticipated for Indy than IH.

Indy will be #1 this year, will do S-M3 numbers h*ll no, will it be very successful? Probably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"