Box Office 2023

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
Another year and the box office should continue to recover although it might still be too early to be back to pre-pandemic levels:

2023 Box-Office Predicted To Hit $8-9 Billion - Dark Horizons

Again it feels tricky to predict a winner. Especially worldwide, not knowing which movies will get released in China and which will not and if that market will recover in 2023. As usual there are some strong candidates among all the superhero-adaptations, with perhaps GotG Vol. 3 and Aquaman 2 having the best chance of winning. Nostalgia could score a victory with either Indiana Jones or the The Little Mermaid. I feel tempted to go with Indiana Jones. It's been a while since the last one and if the reviews are good it perhaps could be the Top Gun of 2023.

Guardians will make a lot, but I think Indiana Jones has a chance at being the Top Gun Maverick of 2023. Amazing director attached, and it has been over a decade since the last film. If the film is great, that's gonna help it even more. I feel like way too many people are underestimating both the chances of it being great and it's box office performance. John Wick 4 I also think is gonna be really big. The series has gotten better and better with each entry and, along with Mission Impossible, it's probably the most iconic action franchise of the modern era that isn't a superhero film. With how popular the series has become, I know that it's gonna put butts in seats. That leads me to mission Impossible Dead Reckoning. Similar to JW 4, each entry continues to top the last and with maverick being huge in 2022, and MI:Fallout being one of the best action films ever made (imo), I can see this building even more hype for this film.

Oppenheimer will do well too, I imagine. Chris Nolans name is a sell. If the movie is great, which I expect it to be, then it's gonna do really good.

All in all, I expect Guardians 3, Indy V, JW 4, MI:7 and probabaly across the spider verse to be the biggest ones of the year though.

Last edited:
I honestly have no idea this time. It's not quite as clear to me as 2022 or 2021 where Avatar and Spider-Man were easier predictions. I think Guardians Vol. 3 will take the top spot among the superhero movies, not sure about taking the top spot overall though. As for the others, if Indiana Jones and The Little Mermaid knock it out of the park I could easily see them making a billion each. As much flack as Crystal Skull gets, it still made almost $800 million and was second only to TDK at the WW box office in 2008 so I wouldn't count out Indy. I've also said this before but if audiences really eat up Super Mario Bros. then that's an easy billion right there. Nintendo's popularity shouldn't be underestimated. Fast X is also a contender because people still see those ridiculous movies in droves but I can't see it finishing in the top three. Top five, maybe.

Marvel is the safest bet like most years, but if you look at 2022 their films don't even reach top 3 and it felt they had a bigger line-up than next year's.

Fast is another contender but the last one was too ridiculous even for fans of the series and I have a feeling they're losing their momentum and China won't support them line the other time.

Mission Impossible is getting bigger and it could bank on some of that Maverick money, but I doubt it will be #1.

I wouldn't rule out Mario since Minions was really big this year and he's an extremely marketable character.

But eventually I too think Indiana Jones might be the one. Crystal Skull did huge all that time back and it was a crap movie. All signs show that this is going to be a more than solid entry and it can certainly bank on nostalgia.

All in all, I expect Guardians 3, Indy V, JW 4, MI:7 and probabaly across the spider verse to be the biggest ones of the year though.
Are we talking worldwide box-office gross? John Wick films have been very successful in regards to their budget, but they're at a whole other ballpark. The most they've made is 327 million with the previous movie.

Highest grossing movies of the year:

Worldwide:

1. The Wandering Earth 2 $126,3 million
2. Full River Red $119,4 million
3. Cheburashka $74 million

Domestic:

1. M3GAN $73,2 million
2. Plane $19,5 million

Note: M3GAN counts as a 2022-release worldwide since it was released in some countries in December.

Weekend forecast. Likely Avatar's last weekend as number one.

upload_2023-1-26_7-5-47.png

Worldwide:

1. Full River Red $386,7 million
2. The Wandering Earth 2 $321 million
3. Boonie Bears: Guardian Code $111,1 million
4. Cheburashka $75,8 million
5. Hidden Blade $73,4 million

Domestic:

1. M3GAN $75,9 million
2. Plane $21,5 million

Worldwide:

1. Full River Red $493 million
2. The Wandering Earth 2 $399,9 million
3. Boonie Bears: Guardian Code $146,2 million
4. Hidden Blade $92 million
5. Cheburashka $77 million

Domestic:

1. M3GAN $82,2 million
2. Plane $25,4 million
3. Missing $17,6 million

Weekend forecast (and once again the Indian movie Pathaan is missing due to lack of reporting on weekday grosses and uncertainty about second weekend location count)

upload_2023-2-2_7-21-5.png

Worldwide:

1. Full River Red $596,8 million
2. The Wandering Earth 2 $504,4 million
3. Boonie Bears: Guardian Code $188,6 million
4. Hidden Blade $117,6 million
5. Pathaan $101,5 million

Domestic:

1. M3GAN $87,6 million
2. Plane $28,9 million
3. Missing $23 million

Weekend forecast. James Cameron could have two movies in top four. You don't see that often.

upload_2023-2-9_5-49-41.png

Worldwide:

1. Full River Red $631,3 million
2. The Wandering Earth 2 $549,2 million
3. Boonie Bears: Guardian Code $200,7 million
4. Hidden Blade $128,1 million
5. Deep Sea $114,2 million

Domestic:

1. M3GAN $91 million
2. Plane $30,8 million
3. Missing $26,6 million