The Empire Strikes Back The Empire Strikes Back Appreciation Thread

ThePhantasm

2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper
Reaction score
esbposter.jpg

Let's face it, this film is not only the best of all the Star Wars movies, but one of the greatest sequel films of all time. What's to love about this film? Heck, where can one even begin?

swplanets11_zps039b2023.jpg

The Empire Strikes Back is one of the few Star Wars films in which you get a real sense that the galaxy is huge. Much of the film is actually spent in space on the Falcon, a real highlight. With a malfunctioning hyperdrive slowing them down, our heroes are unable to simply blip from one planet to another, leaving them in the vast blackness of space, a blackness inhabited by the unstoppable Super Star Destroyer that hunts them.

The film begins on a desolate, barren planet, Hoth. Again, the terrain is expansive, and inhospitable - much like space. Even in the most desolate places, danger awaits - the Wampa on Hoth, or the Space Worm in the asteroid field. The galaxy is dark and exciting.

The galaxy is filled with the mystical and mysterious. A ghost of Obi-Wan appears to Luke in the snowy wastes. He tells Luke of an aged Jedi warrior known as Yoda. Luke is to seek him out to finish his training.

The film then takes us to Dagobah and Bespin, eerie antitheses of one another. Dagobah, a claustrophobic black swamp populated by hideous creatures and weird nightmare caves, is where the last warrior of light, the last Jedi Master, Yoda, resides. It is here, on this creepy, mist filled world, that Luke trains to be the hero he is destined to be. This is contrasted with Bespin and its Cloud City, which seems heavenly and celestial and bright, but hides darkness within - betrayal into the hands of the Empire, and a trap set by the Dark Lord of the Sith. Light hiding Darkness and Darkness hiding Light. In some ways these mirror the lead characters, Luke and Vader. The darkness hidden in Luke will tempt him, but he will not give in. The light hidden in Vader will be revealed in his redemption in the next film.

swcinema3_zps8e921655.gif

All of the scenes are filmed with absolutely gorgeous cinematography, the best in the franchise. Each shot is iconic. The lighting is incredible. ESB uses colored lighting more than any other Star Wars film, and examples readily come to mind: the hot red and cold dark of the carbonite chamber, the dark green wispy shadows of Dagobah, the chilled blues of Echo base. The lighting in the film is often subdued and atmospheric. The colors are deep. The locations are stunning. I'm convinced the cinematography here is far superior to that of any other Star Wars film.

Each location is given plenty of room to breathe as well. Certain SW movies jump from planet to planet in a short period of time. ESB lingers on each planet, allowing us to soak in the atmosphere and the let the images wash over us before we move on. It sucks us into the world and makes us forget that we are just the audience. The editing isn't too frenetic or attention-deficit as it often seemed in the prequels (especially during battle sequences). Here it takes the right amount of time without feeling self-indulgent.

The story is powerful. It ups the stakes. Luke's friends are in danger, and he is tempted to cut his training short. He is impatient. He is rash. But he has courage and heart.

Han, Leia, Chewie, and the Droids are pursued in the Falcon by the nearly relentless Super Star Destroyer and Darth Vader. For the first time, Vader is accompanied by the Imperial March, a brassy militaristic theme filled with power. His hunt for the Falcon is ruthless. He knows who Luke Skywalker cares about, and he will torture them to bring Luke to him and to the dark side.

Luke, meanwhile, is torn by two visions. The first is a nightmare in the depths of Dagobah, in which he fights Vader and finds himself in the mask - giving him a not so subtle message: you too could fall. This dream, his warning, is contrasted with another dream, his temptation - a dream of his friends in pain, a vision of a possible future. Luke races to help his friends, but does little good - in fact, they have to save him in the end. Near the close of the film he looks down at his robotic arm, the first piece of a possible future - Luke Skywalker as the new Darth Vader, the new cyborg Sith Lord.

These things only scratch the surface. I could ramble on for hours about this film. To be honest, I value it far above the rest of the Star Wars films. It is simply superb. Star Wars brought to perfection.

You've said basically everything. I have nothing to say but: Absolutely agreed.

Theres not really a need for this thread imo. Episode IV and V are the only universally highly acclaimed films. Many debate if Lucas dropped the ball on Jedi and the Prequels, those films are more in need of an appreciation thread than Empire.

I don't see anything wrong with having a thread devoted to the Empire Strikes Back. I never said that it was controversial or not highly acclaimed.

I don't see anything wrong with having a thread devoted to the Empire Strikes Back. I never said that it was controversial or not highly acclaimed.

i guess, idk that guy a few posts up said like everhything there is to say haha

I don't see a problem with an appreciation thread for the individual movies either.

The greatest film ever made. At least for me. :)

I love every moment, every scene, but my favorite is probably Luke and Yoda training. There are so many moments that send chills up my spine, but watching Yoda show Luke what is possible with the Force as you ally is right at the top of the list.

I love every moment, every scene, but my favorite is probably Luke and Yoda training. There are so many moments that send chills up my spine, but watching Yoda show Luke what is possible with the Force as you ally is right at the top of the list.

I absolutely agree. Nowhere is Yoda as awesome as he is in ESB, right from his funny and mysterious introduction to the moment when Luke leaves, and Yoda is bathed in dark red light, and says darkly there is another...

Seriously, who knew you could get so much awesomeness out of a puppet?

The duel is my favorite movie fight of all time. Vader's got so many cool lines there, as well as the rest of the film.

"The force is with you, young Skywalker...but you are not a Jedi yet."

"Your destiny lies with me, Skywalker. Obi-Wan knew this to be true."

Good stuff. I read somewhere that in an early script Darth Vader was going to rip C-3PO's "heart" out of his chest on Bespin! Pretty dark.

:huh: Is that true? You mean with the force, or full-on Terminator style?

Empire Strikes Back suffers from 'middle movie syndrome' in that the plot has no resolution. It is probably the most well acted and well shot of all the Star Wars movies, but I wouldn't say it's the best. That honour goes to the original.

I watched all three in the theatre (the re-releases) and the original is the most cinematic by far. The final half hour is just brilliant. No other SW comes close to matching it.

Actually, the lack of resolution is one of the reasons I love it and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

If look at it with fresh eyes and ignore what the movies that come after, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!

The possibilities are endless. You can come up with whatever you want to happen:
Have Luke join his dad as a double agent for the rebels.
Have Yoda confront the emperor
Naturally, we'd get that delightful rogue back but you get to decide how...
Or you could make it darker and more Tarantino-ish.

Actually, the lack of resolution is one of the reasons I love it and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

If look at it with fresh eyes and ignore what the movies that come after, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!

The possibilities are endless. You can come up with whatever you want to happen:
Have Luke join his dad as a double agent for the rebels.
Have Yoda confront the emperor
Naturally, we'd get that delightful rogue back but you get to decide how...
Or you could make it darker and more Tarantino-ish.

Exactly, thats one of the main things that make this movie so great.

Anyone that doesn't see this probably likes their movies spoon fed to them.

Just rewatched it again today. I always forget why I love these films so much. It's so friggen good.

Well, I guess that's how we ended up with Mola Ram instead. Thankfully.

Empire is damn near perfect in every way. One of my favourite segments is the Falcon desperately trying to escape the Empire when the hyperdrive won't work. The music all the way from 'we can still outrun 'em' to when the Falcon loops the loop into the cave is thrilling! I still get goosebumps to this day watching it. Great action, great characters, great music. Great film. I sometimes wonder wether Lucas was/is a little bitter that the chapter of the trilogy he had the least control over, is considered by many to be the best. Hmm....

I was wondering when a thread on ESB would pop up, man this movie is just so perfect that it's funny because as a kid I didn't like it as much because of the downer ending but as I matured and really delved into the character development it changed my mind as the best of the SW movies.

I didn't watch it in 1980 but I do remember watching the limited re-release in 1982 as me and my grade school friends were knee deep into SW excitement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"