The Future of Marvel Studios...

Matt

IKYN Guy Groupie
Reaction score
Think about this for a second, why should Marvel Studios stop at comic book movies? They seem to be very capable at finding the talent to make excellent movies. Should Marvel consider branching out. Maybe make more than a comic movie or two a year? Should Marvel seek out and produce non-comic scripts? After all, comic movies require big budgets. Why not use a few small budget/high profit movies to pad the comic movies' budgets? Just some food for thought.

Absolutely not. The way to run a business is to stick to your core competencies. If Marvel wants to branch out down the road, they can take all or some of the video games in house.

Never thought of that. Unfortunately I only have interest in comic book movies, and rarely have time for others. It could be a good idea for regular movie goers, but for this fan boy, I will not look into it or see it in theatres.

I think Marvel can do smaller comic movies. Not all their movies need to be 150+ million dollar, summer flicks. Make like Heroes For Hire, smaller Ant-Man movie, Moon Knight, etc. Not everything needs Iron Man $$$. Maybe do some TV shows based on their characters also. Wonder if the contracts for FF & X-Men include the use of these characters on television?

Think about this for a second, why should Marvel Studios stop at comic book movies? They seem to be very capable at finding the talent to make excellent movies. Should Marvel consider branching out. Maybe make more than a comic movie or two a year? Should Marvel seek out and produce non-comic scripts? After all, comic movies require big budgets. Why not use a few small budget/high profit movies to pad the comic movies' budgets? Just some food for thought.

I have actually considered this before. I mean, they are a studio now. It isnt like 20th Century Fox has Marvel's name in front of some random movie, Marvel can do whatever the hell they want.

However, I should point out that I would only accept Marvel doing Sci-fi, Horror, Fantasy, Action adventure, that kind of stuff. The second they produce a romantic comedy is where I draw the line...

I have actually considered this before. I mean, they are a studio now. It isnt like 20th Century Fox has Marvel's name in front of some random movie, Marvel can do whatever the hell they want.

However, I should point out that I would only accept Marvel doing Sci-fi, Horror, Fantasy, Action adventure, that kind of stuff. The second they produce a romantic comedy is where I draw the line...

He's a skrull! She's a kree! But this summer they'll get over their differences... through the power of love! *cue the hit from the female singer/songwriter of the month*

Dalx and Juliet. Coming this summer.

:wow:

He's a skrull! She's a kree! But this summer they'll get over their differences... through the power of love! *cue the hit from the female singer/songwriter of the month*

Dalx and Juliet. Coming this summer.

:wow:

lawl.

Is that like the reverse of Captain Marvel and whats her name?

That is a very good point Matt and probably very wise.

Marvel says they're here to stay and is projecting their name to one day have the same credibility of "family friendly quality" as Pixar.

Well Pixar, while strictly in the animation medium, can change genres. Marvel cannot. Or can they?

I'm sure Marvel will stick to mostly superhero fare and that will def. be all their movies for the first ten years that they have signed with Paramount.

But if it all pans our and they're a big hit they need to plan for the future. Superhero movies are a sub-genre that iwll one day go out of favor at least temporarily. For Marvel to survive an oversaturation of the cycle it would be wise to broaden their horizons. They could adapt famous works of fantasy literature and create new filmic IPs in action-adventure and sci-fi. Theycan do historical fantasies and become a movie production company that specializes on the next big thing in summer entertainment and family to adult friendly fare. I could see them making something like Stardust for example.

The first ten years will be superhero movies, but after that they may want to increase their longevity as I'm sure by 2020, the world will be getting tired of the caped and spandexed and they can star competing with Disney in all-ages fare but also try and keep a brand label of high quality like PIxar does.

I they can keep up a degree of success, they'll adapt to whatever makes them money. But honestly, so far they've made one good movie, and one mediocre one.

I think Marvel can do smaller comic movies. Not all their movies need to be 150+ million dollar, summer flicks. Make like Heroes For Hire, smaller Ant-Man movie, Moon Knight, etc. Not everything needs Iron Man $$$. Maybe do some TV shows based on their characters also. Wonder if the contracts for FF & X-Men include the use of these characters on television?

I'm not sure of the exact nature of the Fox and Marvel contracts. I do know that, in 2001, Fox sued Marvel, Tribune, and Fireworks, claiming that aspects of the television show, Mutant X, infringed upon the studio's X-Men rights. As a result, I believe the creators of Mutant X had to alter portions of show. Fox would probably try to do the same regarding an actual X-Men television show.

In 1993, Marvel had licensed to Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation (“Fox”) the rights to create, produce, distribute and promote live action feature length motion pictures based upon the comic book characters known as the “X-Men.” Under this license, Fox produced a feature film “X-Men” which was released theatrically in July of 2000.

In August of 2000, Marvel began developing the idea for a new television series that was to feature new Marvel characters which, as a result of genetic experiments, displayed physical mutations. On August 9, 2000, Marvel entered into an agreement with Tribune Entertainment Company, Inc. for the production of a weekly television series of hour-long episodes based upon this concept. In January of 2001, promotional materials relating to this series, ultimately entitled “Mutant X,” were distributed to the entertainment industry.

Fox claimed that the new series was merely a thinly veiled version of “X-Men.” It sent Marvel a letter dated March 19, 2001 asserting that the production and distribution of the “Mutant X” series violated its rights. The letter then stated “Fox hereby demands that any further development, production and distribution of ‘Mutant X’ cease immediately and Fox will take all appropriate action to enforce its rights, and will seek such remedies as may be necessary to protect itself against such a flagrant and willful breach of our agreement.”

http://firstmutant.greatestjournal.com/68837.html

With the stable of characters they have to work with it be ludicrous to branch out.
This is what they should do, dedicate themselves to making the best damn comic book movies the world has ever scene, respect the source because they are the source.

I think the future will be creating franchising testing them on comic-books and then turning them into movies. And what about movies from the Dark Tower novels?

I think the future will be creating franchising testing them on comic-books and then turning them into movies. And what about movies from the Dark Tower novels?

Thats an interesting point, they have done a great job at translating the Dark Towers and things like H.P. Lovecraft and other classic tales.
Maybe in the case of the Dark Tower King would actually trust Marvel to be true to his vision.

I still think they are best off making quality comic movies and franchising them, being true to the spirit of the characters, and intelligently expanding the Marvel Universe.

It's way to early to tell they have made two movies we need to wait untle they've done at least their fifh Marvel based project to start talking about their future.

I think should seek out scripts with action hero's that they can then add into the Marvel line of books. And, into the Marvel universe in general. In other words have the characters first appearance be a movie, and then adapt him or her to a comic instead of the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"