Should Marvel Studios make original movies?

spideymouse

Sidekick
Reaction score
This thread asks the question if the newly-independent Marvel Studios could possibly branch out and make non-comic book movies, reaching different audiences and exploring new genres.

It's true, Marvel has many different stories and diverse characters from the Marvel Universe that could serve them for years to come. However, it occurs to me that there are movie-goers who tire of comic book adaptations and want to see something fresh. Could Marvel Studios tap into that demographic by producing movies based on non-Marvel stories, and in doing so possibly establish itself as more than just a comic book movie maker? Or should it stick to its own genre (in which there is still a large array of sub-genres)?

What do you all think?

Somewhere down the road, perhaps.

But for the forseeable future, they should stick to comic adaptations, IMHO.

Eventually but I say they should stick to their own material right now. It won't be good business having a Marvel movie with no Marvel characters in it.

The whole reason they formed was to bring the characters in-house for creative control. I don't think that making other films was an ambition. I really don't see the point in trying to compete with other major studios outside of their niche.

I agree with Rich.

Instead, they should focus on doing the best with what characters are under their wings while simlutaneously working on retrieving other properties like Daredevil and The FF to give them proper films as they've done with Hulk.

CFE

They'd really by shooting themselves in the mouth if they put off their comic films for original material, even if it ended up being good.

One reason why I think some movie grow tired off comic adaptations is because they haven't seen it done properly, well at least not many times.

If Marvel plays its cards right, they'll keep getting better as the Universe they're crafting comes to life.

They are getting origin stories out of the way, then making crossovers happen that will succeed on the basis of having gotten a lot of the crucial character development out of the way.

From there we will get movies like the Avengers, and who knows maybe Marvel will have the balls to adapt stories like the Blade/Spidey idea mentioned elsewhere, or even develop some of the Marvel Events.

If they do things right, they'll be too busy to branch out.

If they keep getting the movies right, sure Marvel should make original movies.

I don't see the point, really. The purpose of Marvel Studios is to promote Marvel properties.

I think along the line they'll make movie only heroes.

they need to get Guillermo del toro to do another film for them.. come back to Blade..

No, I see no reason why Marvel should do original movies.

This isn't the first thread about this...

Yes, I think they should. Just not immediately. They have already compared themselves after IM opened to Pixar. The flaws in that logic is Pixar deals with a whole medium (animation) and can explore anything that is family friendly in it. Marvel fashions themselves as the next name in family entertainment, but all they have is superheroes; which even as a subgenre will become less popular in the near future and they only have oh so many major bankable (as in high returns for high investments) films.

I imagine around 2020 after all their current franchises and the Avengers plus any soon-to-be-launched ones have run their course, Marvel isn't going to just close up shop in Hollywood (if they haven't gone under). I predict they'll begin financing fantasy, sci-fi and other such films whether they are based on graphic novels or other forms of literature (or simply original films) to maintain their brand and intake. That is just my guess.

This thread asks the question if the newly-independent Marvel Studios could possibly branch out and make non-comic book movies, reaching different audiences and exploring new genres.

It's true, Marvel has many different stories and diverse characters from the Marvel Universe that could serve them for years to come. However, it occurs to me that there are movie-goers who tire of comic book adaptations and want to see something fresh. Could Marvel Studios tap into that demographic by producing movies based on non-Marvel stories, and in doing so possibly establish itself as more than just a comic book movie maker? Or should it stick to its own genre (in which there is still a large array of sub-genres)?

What do you all think?

I think they will when the Comic movie business goes bad. It would be cool if they made movies of regular people living in the Marvel Universe. Lets say a Romantic comedy with headlines of Spiderman in the background. Or an action or police drama with winks of Punisher or another superhero/anti-hero or villain.

Well they have so many characters that they can branch out in all kinds of directions if they wanted to. Horror with Man-Thing and Werewolf by night, psychological with Moon Knight, mythical with Hercules, Sci-fi with Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy, and comedy with Howard the Duck and Mort the dead teenager. I still say a tv show is the best route. Imagine a Tales of Suspense show done like Twilight Zone. But they can do movies but not all have to be superhero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"