Dr.

From parts unknown
Reaction score

christina-elmore-melissa-benoist-carla-gugino-natasha-behnam.jpg

Christine Elmore, Melissa Benoist, Carla Gugino, Natasha Behnam

melissa-benoist.jpg
Photo credit: Nicole Rivelli/Max

Last edited:
First trailer is up. But.. it's Max and has some R-rated language. See Youtube.

Interview with Melissa Benoist and Natasha Behnam about The Girls On The Bus which premieres on 3/14. Melissa answers a couple of Supergirl related questions at the beginning.

The soap and melodrama were expected (based on the trailer). But I was hoping the political commentary would be cleverer, wittier. Not so much. :csad: But it’s only the first two episodes. Perhaps things improve deeper into the main mystery/conspiracy...

After episode 3… The show's not bad. But given its subject matter, it could benefit from some Aaron Sorkin-level writing. (Though, to be fair,… most shows could benefit from Aaron Sorkin-level writing. :word:)

Also, the ghost of Hunter Thompson thingie isn’t working.

Halfway through and I’m enjoying this show a lot. I haven’t been tempted to reach for my phone or book so the show passed my does it keep my attention test. The ghost of Hunter Thompson and other times we go into Sadie’s mind are cool for me but I respect that they’re not for everyone. It’s much more about the relationship that develops between the four reporters than politics or journalism, granted what is shown about journalism seems true.

Reactions: Dr.
Perhaps I’m lowering my standards as the series progresses… :ninja: But I thought episodes 8 and 9 were noticeably better. I particularly liked the way the abortion issue was handled.

The abortion storyline was handled beautifully. Sadie’s dilemma wasn’t what to do about the pregnancy but how to do it, her decision was never questioned. I chuckled when Lola said something like, “I can’t believe this is happening” and Grace said “Again!”. I’m glad they showed the “pill” as the method because that’s exactly what someone in Sadie’s position would use. It was a great choice to have Kimberlin, who wouldn’t make the same choice herself but chose to support her friend, be the one to drive Sadie across state lines to pick up the pills. If more politicians interpreted “pro-choice” like Kimberlin did, supporting an individual’s choice even if it’s not the choice they would make, I think that would be a good thing. There are probably a lot of real people like Kimberlin, unfortunately they’re not the loudest voices of self-identified conservatives.

Apparently, there was a debate in the writer’s room about if Sadie would tell Malcom. Some thought telling him would be seen as him having input in the decision. They came up with a a way for her to tell him she was pregnant that didn’t show him having input and that in turn allowed them to show his reaction even if it was phone conversations or texts. The support the writers had him show ultimately allowed the possibility of their relationship continuing.

Melissa Benoist, 'Girls on the Bus' Showrunner on Telling Abortion Story (variety.com)

I think the reason some aren’t liking this show is it isn’t what they might have wanted from the description given.

Melissa’s channeling when Kara beat up Non after he put the black mercy on her. In a fantasy sequence from episode 8 of The Girls on the Bus Melissa’s character Sadie Mcarthy beat up the guy at the mailbox store who wouldn’t give her the medical abortion pills she needed. According to this article Melissa did the stunt herself.

“Melissa, being Supergirl, did that stunt when she jumps over the counter and punches the **** out of the guy [who wouldn’t give her the pills],” Chozick recalled about a fun fantasy sequence in the episode. “She [said], ‘I’m ready, I got it.’ And the whole crew was like, “Oh, my god, girl just lunged over the counter!'”

Abortion Portrayed on TV? It’s Changed a Lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"