• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Gray Man (Gosling, Evans, Russos)

FTckbeQWUAA2_xP.jpeg.jpg

FTckbePWUAMqNhg.jpeg.jpg

FTcenVNWIAIm1vB.jpeg.jpg

I have higher hopes for this than Red Notice because of the actors and directors involved. But I’m prepared to be disappointed.

You know I was actually cautiously optimistic about the future of Netflix in terms of quality after the last few months. All their moves and talk about trimming the fat and looking at quality over quantity. But stuff like this makes me wonder if they learned their lesson. I guess we'll see when the movie comes out but does the story really need prequels in addition to the sequels. And sure maybe have that idea in the back of your head. But to announce/reveal it? Seems very premature.

But it's whatever. I hope the first movie is at least good

I don't wanna be negative, but it just looks ok.

Some of the action beats look cool, performances look solid, and I'm sure it'll at least be a "fine" watch.

But it also seems a bit generic. Like someone told a computer Make a spy movie into a modern blockbuster and this was spat out.

Chris Evans seems a bit like he's playing himself. Tonally it looks a bit off (why can't movies balance tone anymore). Like sometimes it looked ultra serious but then you have stuff like "If you wanna make an omelet, you have to kill some people." Some of the CGI looks terrible.

We'll see.

Last edited:
Yeah this looks boring for sure, nothing special.
Something we have seen thousands of times before. The action doesnt look interesting at all.

I think it looks fun! You know, in a B-movie action film kind of way.This is probably going to be like Extraction: fantastic action sequences, mediocre story. But i like mindless action movies from time to time AS LONG as the action itself is impressive, like Extraction.

I didn't see anything from the trailer that made the action looking as good as it was in Extraction (or John Wick, or the Raid, etc.). I like mindless action too but this doesn't look like that.
This just looks like generic PG13 action.

Obviously, Netflix produced this movie before their subscriber numbers dropped, but after hearing they still want to make a prequel and sequel to this thing before it’s even released shows they haven’t learned their lesson yet. Not to say this won’t be the talk on social media for a week and probably be in Netflix’s Top 10 for a month, but this just looks so incredibly forgettable.

I'm sufficiently whelmed. Why a premise like this needs to have such huge explosions and set pieces instead of something more grounded frustrates me though.

I don’t know, I thought it looked rad. Even with Netflix’s spotty record and a plot that feels a little generic, this cast and the action got me hyped. I also have to wonder if they included scenes of the hero using a riot shield as a little nod to Captain America.

Speaking of which, I love Evans when he’s in villain mode. He was great in Knives Out and he looks great here.

Yeah Evans is a villain in this and in Knives Out...but he's kinda still the funny, charming guy. And I'm sure at the end of the movie he'll team up with Gosling

I wanna see Evans really break bad. He's done darker roles (like Street Kings and Puncture) and villain roles, but I wanna see him play someone really vile. Like Denzel in Training Day, Stanley Tucci in Lovely Bones, Tom Berenger in Platoon, Hemsworth in Bad Times at El Royale, etc. Someone who is just so outright evil. Sure my Hemsworth and Denzel examples were still very charismatic, but they were so evil and twisted. EDIT: Hell even a role like Sandler in Uncut Gems or Pattinson in Good Times
Sure his character in Knives Out was a spoiled entitled brat. But I wanna see him go darker than that

This may be a villain role, but it doesn't look like a stretch for Evans. His "villain mode" is still pretty much in his ballpark.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm sure it'll be "fine" at it's worst. But I cancelled my Netflix but will resubscribe in June for Stranger Things 4 pt 2. Don't think i'll push my subscription out another month for this

I have Netflix because this is the straw I pulled. One set of in-laws has Disney+, the other has HBO Max.

But I'll watch this because of everyone involved. I hope it's better than what the trailers show.

I liked the trialer. I mean sure, the MI trailer (apparently that was not properly post processed, which makes it even more exemplary) from yesterday is world's apart from this one. I would have been thrilled if the gap was not as big but this does look quite a bit better than the generic Netflix action flick.

The cast is great and the Russo brothers have made solid movies in the past. Plus it has Ryan Gosling and I'll watch anything with him in it, he has earned that trust by consistently making some great movies.

Last edited:
It's amazing how these Netflix action movies all look the same.
Yeah I don't know how they do that every time. I was honestly expecting more from their most expensive production ever, especially with Russos at the helm of another big scale action film, and yet it once again has that generic streaming feeling into it. The cast looks great, though, and I'm sure it's going to have some solid action scenes, so I may see it in cinemas if it comes out.

This doesn’t look any more generic than another action movie coming out in theaters. Maybe knowing it’s a Netflix movie creates some sort of bias?

Yeah I don't know how they do that every time. I was honestly expecting more from their most expensive production ever, especially with Russos at the helm of another big scale action film, and yet it once again has that generic streaming feeling into it. The cast looks great, though, and I'm sure it's going to have some solid action scenes, so I may see it in cinemas if it comes out.

It's very weird. The look, color grading, special effects, locations, plot, humor, and even marketing are similar between their films.

I'm in it for the cast alone but I'm still keeping my expectations in check. The Adam Project was the only Netflix original film I've enjoyed in recent years and even that I thought was average at best.
Adam Project was pretty good. But yeah I don't think i'd ever go out of my way to watch it again. Really other than they're Oscar bait stuff, that's my sentiments of most Netflix originals movies.

Shows is a different story. But their movies have always been shakey to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"