The Green Lantern/Flash duo in JLA

KELLEL

Civilian
Reaction score
Often times the subject comes up of which GL and Flash would compliment each other best on screen, in the comics, all the versions of the Flash and Green Lantern have always been buds, I thought this would be a great place to reflect on what "duo" you'd like to see in a JLA film. The way I see it, you can't pick one without the other, that's how vital their relationship is.

Personally, I think nothin' beats the original. I like the classic JLA's Hal Jordan/Barry Allen teamups. I really think they worked great together and have always enjoyed their stories, Hal and Barry were the same age and best friends in the comics and I think they'd work well on screen. They're arguably the best and most definite versions of their character, and their chemistry was great, very buddy cop-ish, IMO, cuz Barry was a police scientist and Hal is pretty much an intergalactic police officer. I loved Mark Waid's miniseries the Brave and the Bold which featured some of the greatest Hal/Barry stories I've ever read. JLA Year One had some great moments too, and, while they didn't interact much in it, I enjoyed both Hal and Barry in New Frontier. I also enjoyed them in Alex Ross' Justice miniseries and many other stories too numerous to mention. (This duo was also on The Batman) They had personalities and elements in their lives that were so similar, yet at the same time so different, which is why I think they got along so well together and what made their stories so memorable.

But each incarnation of the GL/Flash duo has its highlights, I did rather enjoy the '90s era JLA stories with the Wally West Flash and Kyle Rayner Green Lantern, like Barry and Hal, they too had a lot in common; they were both the same age and both were rookies who were trying to fill the boots of their lost and highly regarded predecessors and earn their colleagues respect. There was some great chemistry in those stories that I feel would translate well into film too.

And of course there's the wonderful reccent animated series, Justice League/Justice League Unlimited, which used a Wally West/Barry Allen hybrid type Flash and the John Stewart Green Lantern (which combined elements of Hal Jordan's story). That duo was very enjoyable and, if done right, would translate well onto the big screen too. I found myself laughing at what would transpire when the Wally West Flash, with his humorous, take-it-in-stride, show-offy, and sometimes foolish and impulsive attitude would clash with the no nonsense, ex-marine, strict disciplined, "hard ass" and sometimes humorless Green Lantern John Stewart, those moments were what helped make the show so great, IMO.

So, which version of the GL/Flash duo do you want to see on screen?

I'm a JL/JLU kinda guy. It's the Justice League that I've grown up with, and its part of the reason I love the Justice League comics. Michael Rosenbaum and Phil LaMarr played Wally and John so damn well, those are the two that I would want to see on film.

I'm a JL/JLU kinda guy. It's the Justice League that I've grown up with, and its part of the reason I love the Justice League comics. Michael Rosenbaum and Phil LaMarr played Wally and John so damn well, those are the two that I would want to see on film.

Agreed, they were PERFECT, they're great actors, I will ALWAYS think of them when I read John Stewart or Wally West. :yay:

Interesting thing tho, about the Flash (and to a degree, Green Lantern) on those shows:

The Flash was a hybrid of Barry Allen and Wally West on the show, mixed with the humor that comes with being the "token" funny guy.

If I were to dissect the Barry Allen and Wally West components in the JLU Flash into two sections, one Barry, one Wally, here's what we'd get:

BARRY ALLEN ELEMENTS:

This Flash (the JL/JLU animated Flash) is from Central City, Barry's hometown, as opposed to Keystone city, Wally's hometown.

This Flash is also the only/the 1st Flash, just like Barry Allen was in the comics at first.

This Flash's job/proffesion is that of Barry Allen's; he's a police scientist.

This Flash's origin is that of Barry Allen's: A police scientist gets hit by lightning and is doused in random chemicals and gains super speed.

This Flash also faced many of Barry's enemies, including Gorrilla Grodd for the first time.

This Flash also has a Flash museum, another element of Barry Allen's story.

WALLY WEST ELEMENTS:

This Flash's name is Wally West.

His appearance is also that of the comic's Wally West (red hair, green eyes, Barry had blonde hair and blue eyes).

He's naive like the comics' Wally West.

Has the intelligence of the comics' Wally West (not as sciency/brainy/smart as Barry, more pop culture guru-ish, a playa).

When he vibrates his molecules to pass thru solid objects, the objects explode, like the comics' Wally West.

Linda Park, Wally's girlfriend and eventual wife appeared in an episode and was a suggested love interest for the Flash.

END

At first it kinda pissed me off that they combined the two Flashes so much, but then I realized it was only done to help newcomers follow the character easier. If they'd have done Wally like the comics they'd have had to explain Barry, the death of Barry, Wally's Kid Flash career, etc, too much for newbies to handle without being familiar with Barry and sidekick Kid Flash/Wally West, so they combined the two.

They did the same thing with GL Kyle Rayner on Superman: The Animated Series, he was a Hal Jordan/Rayner hybrid. For instance; his name and occupaton was that of Kyle Rayner (artist), but he looked like Jordan, had Jordan's origin, fought Jordan's enemies, etc. Guess they thought that just doing plain Kyle woulda been too confusing too.

They did something similar but not as drastic with GL John Stewart, he has Hal's rank on earth as opposed to being a backup GL like in the comics and fights Jordan's enemies like Sinestro, Hal's arch nemesis, and Star Saphire aka Carol Ferris, Jordan's love interest.

I imagine that Miller will do something similar for John in the JLA film, like the JLU show.

I think George Miller will do the same with the Barry Allen Flash in JLA, he'll be Barry Allen cuz he's easiest to explain/follow and had the most originality as Flash (the best, IMO), but he'll be like the JLU cartoon's Flash in terms of personality/character (and age?).

I guess that'd be OK.....

So basically it'd be the JL/JLU animated Flash and GL in the JLA film.

JLA Classified/JLU animated version: Green Lantern/John Stewart and the Flash/Wally West

JOHN STEWART DID NOT REMAIN JUST A BACK UP GREEN LANTERN IN COMIC.HE BECAME FULL TIME .HERE IS SOME INFO FROM wikipedia.

John Stewart is a fictional superhero, a member of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps. He was created as a work for hire by writer Dennis O’Neil and artist Neal Adams for DC Comics, first appearing in the December 1971/January 1972 issue of DC's comic book Green Lantern (volume 2, #87). Stewart has become a major recurring character in the Green Lantern mythos within the DC Universe, usually serving as Earth’s most prominent Green Lantern during the times when other notable Earth Green Lanterns, such as Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner, are absent, on leave, or retired. He starred in the short-lived spin-off comic Green Lantern: Mosaic, of which DC published 18 issues between June 1992 and November 1993. Additionally, he was the primary character in Green Lantern (vol. 2) from issues 182 through 200, when Jordan relinquished his place in the Corps (1984-1986).

For some time, Stewart occasionally filled in for him as Green Lantern when Jordan was unavailable, including some missions of the Justice League.

After Jordan gave up being Green Lantern in the 1980s, the Guardians selected Stewart for full time duty. Stewart filled that role for some years, during which time he married Katma Tui, the Green Lantern of the planet Korugar who was initially assigned to train John in the use of his ring. Kat and John served together within the Green Lantern Corps of Earth alongside Hal Jordan, Arisia, Kilowog, Salakk and other alien Green Lanterns.

Green Lantern: Rebirth

With the return of Hal Jordan and the Guardians, the Corps has been reorganized. Each sector of space now has two Green Lanterns assigned to it, and Stewart and Jordan now share the responsibilities for Earth’s sector, 2814. After the dissolution of the Justice League in the aftermath of the events depicted in the 2004 miniseries Identity Crisis, and the destruction of their Watchtower headquarters on the moon, Stewart has begun playing a larger role in metahuman affairs, working with many former Justice Leaguers.

JOHN STEWART DID NOT REMAIN JUST A BACK UP GREEN LANTERN IN COMIC.HE BECAME FULL TIME .HERE IS SOME INFO FROM wikipedia.

John Stewart is a fictional superhero, a member of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps. He was created as a work for hire by writer Dennis O’Neil and artist Neal Adams for DC Comics, first appearing in the December 1971/January 1972 issue of DC's comic book Green Lantern (volume 2, #87). Stewart has become a major recurring character in the Green Lantern mythos within the DC Universe, usually serving as Earth’s most prominent Green Lantern during the times when other notable Earth Green Lanterns, such as Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner, are absent, on leave, or retired. He starred in the short-lived spin-off comic Green Lantern: Mosaic, of which DC published 18 issues between June 1992 and November 1993. Additionally, he was the primary character in Green Lantern (vol. 2) from issues 182 through 200, when Jordan relinquished his place in the Corps (1984-1986).

For some time, Stewart occasionally filled in for him as Green Lantern when Jordan was unavailable, including some missions of the Justice League.

After Jordan gave up being Green Lantern in the 1980s, the Guardians selected Stewart for full time duty. Stewart filled that role for some years, during which time he married Katma Tui, the Green Lantern of the planet Korugar who was initially assigned to train John in the use of his ring. Kat and John served together within the Green Lantern Corps of Earth alongside Hal Jordan, Arisia, Kilowog, Salakk and other alien Green Lanterns.

Green Lantern: Rebirth

With the return of Hal Jordan and the Guardians, the Corps has been reorganized. Each sector of space now has two Green Lanterns assigned to it, and Stewart and Jordan now share the responsibilities for Earth’s sector, 2814. After the dissolution of the Justice League in the aftermath of the events depicted in the 2004 miniseries Identity Crisis, and the destruction of their Watchtower headquarters on the moon, Stewart has begun playing a larger role in metahuman affairs, working with many former Justice Leaguers.

True, but he and the other GLs still play second fiddle next to the greatest Green Lantern of them all, HAL JORDAN.

Same with Flash, they're all great, but BARRY ALLEN is the best.

Stewart STILL has very little story and would make a horrible solo GL in the solo GL film. Only time he'd work as GL would be in a JLA film.

Hope we see Barry pass thru solid objects in this.

True, but he and the other GLs still play second fiddle next to the greatest Green Lantern of them all, HAL JORDAN.

Same with Flash, they're all great, but BARRY ALLEN is the best.

Stewart STILL has very little story and would make a horrible solo GL in the solo GL film. Only time he'd work as GL would be in a JLA film.

I DISAGREE.to me stewart is the best and would make a great solo in a gl film.that may happen if after a hal film. I think over the years stewart HAS enough of a story to go solo as well.in the jla books he has been shown more so as well over the past years as well.besides aolt of younger viewers know him more than hal because of the jl cartoon.remember most folks do not read the comics.anyway he and hal are the best known GL NOW.

I AM moving on but i just wanted to say there are others who think a different way.it is aways good to know that there are other views out there.bye.

JLA Classified/JLU animated version: Green Lantern/John Stewart and the Flash/Wally West

I want to see these two versions. I love the animated version, but I personally would rather see the classics - which ever the fan favorites may be.

No Golden Age Alan Scott/Jay Garrick option? :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"