"The Heroic Age" Marvel RPG - Sign-Up/OOC Thread

Spider-Man9X17

Ultron was sitting on him
Reaction score
"The Heroic Age" Marvel RPG

1195808-837.jpg

The Dark Reign is over. Norman Osborn and his H.A.M.M.E.R. organization have been dealt their final defeat at the Siege of Asgard. The Dark Avengers have been apprehended, the Superhero Registration Act has been repealed, and Steve Rogers has taken back the mantle of Captain America to lead the heroes of Earth into a bright new day. This is the Heroic Age.

How to Play:

This game will start in the weeks after the Siege of Asgard. The heroes have had a chance to return home and revel in their victory, enjoy their new found freedom. Players can take any character that existed on Earth 616 prior to Marvel NOW. Please note this game does NOT share continuity with the old Heroes Vs Villains game. We start fresh from the end of Siege.

To apply for a character, fill out the application below. Applications will be reviewed by the GM and either Approved or Denied after 24 hours. If your application is Denied, fear not! You can re-write and revise your application based on the GM's and other players' feedback; however, if multiple people are vying for the same character and someone else gets it, you'll have to apply for a different character. All players are welcome, regardless of membership status or post-count

Rules:

1: You are allowed a maximum of two main characters. You also have free reign over the characters' supporting cast and rogues' gallery, provided that no other player is playing them. However, it is advised to keep sidekick characters and primary villains at least somewhat open as options for other players to take up.

2: You must post at least once every two weeks, preferably more, or your character will be up for grabs. Failure to post after 30 days will result in your character being removed from the roster.

3: PC's are not to be killed without permission. Nameless NPC's are fine, but PC's or important NPC's will require authorization. Don't do anything random, such as destroying the universe, either. Such behavior is frowned upon.

4: Several storylines can be going on at once, in order to interact with other players. If a player's character does not want to be involved in another's storyline, they do not have to. Likewise, please observe good etiquette and ask the other players' permission before jumping into a fight or interaction without their consent. Consultation and communication are the keys to a good PC-to-PC interaction.

5: You can travel anywhere on Earth or off-planet, provided it is within your character's means. Time-travel is forbidden, unless it is specifically required of your character choice.

6: You are your character, so act like them. Create or portray their mannerisms, powers, and ideals to how they have been established in the game. BE the character, don't just remote-control their powers, so to speak.

7: Respect the Gamemasters. If they make a request of you regarding the game, listen to them. Failure to adhere to GM, AGM, and Hype! Moderator requests will result in expulsion from the game.

8: Be creative, and do not be afraid to try new and exciting things with old concepts. This is a new continuity - the laws of the regular DC Universe are not set in stone.

9: All regular Hype rules apply.

10: Have fun, damn it!

Gamemasters: Spider-Man9x17, TBD

The Heroic Age Marvel RPG: Character Application:

Character Name:

Alignment (Hero, Villain, Walking the Line):

Character Speech Color and Font (actually say what it is, like Blue Comic Sans):

Powers and Abilities:

Character Origin/Backstory:

Why this character?

What can you bring to the RPG?

Provide a short sample post as your desired character, in three paragraphs or more and featuring at least one line of dialogue:

Last edited:

Character Name: Steve Rogers, Captain America

Alignment (Hero, Villain, Walking the Line): Hero

Character Speech Color and Font (actually say what it is, like Blue Comic Sans): Blue Franklin Gothic Medium

Powers and Abilities: He is the perfect physical specimen, with peak human/superhuman abilities

Character Origin/Backstory: Steve Rogers was given the Super Soldier serum during the darkest days of World War II. He was transformed from a sickly boy into America's Greatest hope, Captain America. After being thought dead in the waning days of the war, Steve was found frozen in ice decades later, when America once again needed its greatest hero, and Captain America lived once more

Why this character? He's America's greatest hero, the top man in the Marvel Universe.

What can you bring to the RPG? Fun, wisecracks, and well thought out stories with the chance for multiple players to interact

Provide a short sample post as your desired character, in three paragraphs or more and featuring at least one line of dialogue:

"Please, oh God, please. Don't kill me."

The masked gunman jammed the barrel of his rifle into the pleading rig worker's forehead, drawing a small stream of blood.

"You profit off the death and destruction of our mother Earth. You do not heed her cires for mercy. Why should we treat you any different?"

"I have a wife, four children. This...this is just a job.Th-this is just to support my family."

"Then they too should die for partaking in this blood money you reap."

The gunman's finger began to tighten around the trigger. The young man on the ground closed his eyes, a hot stream of tears running from between each eyelid. He wondered if he would feel anything, if he would hear the horrible, gut wrenching discharge of the bullet. A terrified yelp escaped his throat as a clang of metal echoed through the hallway, follwed by a deep, painful grunt and the thud of a body slumping to the floor. It took a second for the terried worker to realize it was neither the sound of a bullet exited a gun, nor his own body hitting the floor.

A second passed, and then another. Slowly, his eyes opened. A blurry, inviting hand was reaching out for him. His head craned upwards, his eyes falling upon a guardian angel, an avenging spirit.

4063513-captain-america-the-winter-soldier-promo-art-captain-america.jpg

"Get up, son. We're getting you out of here."

Captain America pulled the trembling man to his feet as a voice crackled through his earpiece.

"The platform is a total loss, Cap. The whole thing is going down, sooner than later."

"I've got a survivor, and one of theirs. Maybe we can finally start getting some answers."

"If you don't move your ass, the only thing you'll be getting is a custom fit pine box."

Last edited:

Character Name: Clint Barton/Hawkeye

Character Speech Color and Font (actually say what it is, like Blue Comic Sans): Purple Arial Black

Powers and Abilities: World class archer & marksman, peak human level abilities

Character Origin/Backstory: An orphan who ran away to the circus, Clint was trained as an archer under the big top. After witnessing Iron Man in action, Clint left the circus to become a superhero. After finding himself on the wrong side of the law for a time, Clint finally made amends and was sponsored for membership into The Avengers.

Why this character? He's one of my 2 favorite Avengers, right up there with Captain America. He's a bad ass with a heart of gold

What can you bring to the RPG? Fun, wisecracks, and well thought out stories with the chance for multiple players to interact

Clint Barton tried to ignore the uncharacteristic bead of sweat forming on his brow. He was used to tense situations. He worked best in stressful, even life-threatening situations. He loved the thrill of the fight. Right now though, his chest felt tight. He struggled to take a breath while taking stock of his surroundings.

The man known as Hawkeye finally spotted it. The perfect place to conceal himself, slip away from the horrible prediciment he found himself in. He just needed a second, one split moment to slip away and become a ghost. He positioned himself to disappear from his opponents lone of sight, counting down the steps left until he was home free...almost there...

"Clint...?"

"Dammit."

Clint sighed and hung his head in shame. His estranged wife-slash-current girlfried Bobbi Morse Barton glared at him, hands placed firmly on her slightly popped hips
as an admonishing "Tsk" exited from between her pursed lips.

"You promised me your one hundred percent undivided attention today."

Clint looked longingly up at the "Sporting Goods" sign mere feet in front of him. So close, and yet so very, very far.

"We have every single color of every single drape, table cloth, sheet set, shower curtain, floor mat, and matching towel set in this place. Not to mention 3 kinds of silverware, special plates for every holiday known to man, plus an 'everyday' set. What, in the name of home decor, is possibly left to buy?"

"There are walls to paint, carpet to pick out, or maybe we should go with hard wood floor. Of course then we would need throw rugs to keep the furniture from scuffing, maybe some nice artwork for the walls. For all the money and style, Tony Stark does not know a thing about decorating a living space..."

"A Kree armada? Atlantean uprising? Anything? Please?"

Damn, can someone change the thread title and add "OCC Thread"

Gonna spend some time this weekend researching character choices.

3711889_5112d6390a1d1_recovered.jpg

Character Name: Alex Summers, better known as “Havok”

Character Speech Color and Font (actually say what it is, like Blue Comic Sans): Bolded Black Verdana.

Powers and Abilities: Alex has the ability to absorb and project cosmic energy that takes the form of waves of energy that despite being concussive in nature often, though not always, emanate heat that with some degree of concentration Alex can reduce or increase. His body is constantly absorbing energy and he possesses the ability to project the energy all at once, though the exertion of doing so exhausts him, and once done it takes several hours for him to absorb enough energy to expend it all again at once. Alex is immune to his brother's concussive optic blasts and also happens to be, given his rigorous training at the hands at Charles Xavier, an Olympic-level athlete.

Character Origin/Backstory: Alex Summers is the younger brother of Scott Summers, the mutant better known as Cyclops, and has lived in his shadow for decades. The pair were orphaned as children after the apparent death of their parents and, unlike his older brother, Alex was adopted by the recently-bereaved Blandling family who sought to mould him in the image of their deceased son Todd. Shortly afterwards when confronted by the person responsible for the death of Todd his powers surfaced which would lead him to become reunited with his older brother Scott and discover that he too was a mutant and the leader of the group known as The X-Men. Over the years Alex’s involvement with the X-Men has been spotty at best, preferring to spend time with Lorna Dane (Polaris) and briefly leading a group known as X-Force, though recent events in the Marvel Universe have forced Alex to reconsider his role. Moved by Janet Van Dyne’s sacrifice and his growing disillusionment with what he believes to be the distortion of Charles Xavier’s dream by Scott, he joins The Avengers in the hope of fostering trust and wellbeing between mutants and humans.

Why this character?: As I said in the interest check thread, I’ve always been a big fan of the more alternative Avengers line-ups and I thought that Rick Remender made great use of Alex in Uncanny Avengers. Alex Summers is such an underutilised character and to have him play a more prominent role in the universe, to build upon his character, seemed more interesting to me than picking up a marque character and rehashing stories that have been told a thousand times.

What can you bring to the RPG?: An active, enthusiastic contributor that (those of you that are involved in the OU game already know) never struggles to find motivation to post and/or develop their characters.

Muir Island, Scotland

For as long as I could remember I had loved Lorna Dane. We had met not long after joining the X-Men and had fallen in love with one another quicker than anyone I’d known to before or since. She had been there for me through thick and thin and I could never imagine a future without her by my side. Yet here I was, bags packed, awaiting the arrival of a Quinjet that was going to take my thousands of miles away from her and the life we had built for one another on Muir Island. When I had told her what I had planned I had hoped that she would be happy for me and though she tried to feign it, something in her eyes gave away the disappointment she felt. After a decade of adventuring and fighting the good fight we had finally settled down, finally began to think about starting a family with one another, and here I was suggesting we put that all on hold again. Any other woman might have left me right there and then. Lorna was the furthest thing from an ordinary woman. She was stronger than I could ever hope to be, braver too, and I’m thankful for every day that I’ve spent in her company over the years. But this was something that I had to do and if doing it meant being away from her for a time then so be it.

“Are you sure about this?”

Lorna’s piercing green eyes scan my face for some hope, some glimmer of indecision, and though I knew that admitting to her that I still had some doubts might give her false hope, I couldn’t bring myself to lie. Lorna was my rock. She would always be my rock. I’d sooner be honest with her and hurt her than lie to protect her feelings and I know that she would do the same in my position.

“Honestly? No,” Alex said with a smile. “But there’s a voice in the back of my head that keeps telling me that unless I go through with it I’ll spend the rest of my life wondering what would have happened if I had.”

The disappointment in her face is palpable. Our lives were meant to be here. It had been several years since I had asked Lorna to marry me and life had thrown our engagement into question on several occasions, but over the past few months things had finally begun to slow down to the point that we had begun to discuss dates. That is what I should be worried about, that is what I ought to be obsessing over, not stood in the hallway of the Mutant Research Center about to bid goodbye to the love of my life for what could be the last time. By no means were we breaking up, that much we had agreed upon, but in our line of work every goodbye could be the last one. Lorna runs her fingers across the edges of her teal jumper nervously as she eyes my feet.

“You know Scott isn’t going to be happy when he hears.”

I nod.

“Of course I do.”

“I hope that’s not why you’re doing it.”

She says it in all earnestness, devoid of malice, but her words wound me somewhat. I’d spent the best part of a decade trying to carve out a legacy of my own, not wanting to live in Scott’s shadow, and to learn from Lorna of all people that this might be motivated by petty one-upmanship hurts my feelings. Scott was my brother but we were by no means close, something people tended to forget, we didn’t even grow up in the same household after our parents died. I’d never make a decision like this, one fraught with consequences for Lorna and I, to publicly blacken one of Scott’s eyes. Even if it what I was about to do would inadvertently do that.

“You more than anyone should know that I stopped vying for my older brother’s approval a long time ago.”

A pang of regret flashes across her face but before long it is replaced with a look of sheer confusion. I hate to see her this way, I hate knowing my decision has plunged her into this anguish, but my mind has been made up. Janet Van Dyne died for us, gave her life for our world, and where were we? Watch it from our couch. We should have been there, we should have been fighting alongside them, not cowering in our homes rationalizing our decision not to get involved away to ourselves.

“If not that then what? Charles and Scott have invited us back to the X-Men more times than I could count over the past decade and each time we’ve turned them down. When Jamie came calling asking for our help with X-Factor we sent him away empty-handed. Yet all of a sudden you decide you want to be part of a team again? You want to be one of them? What’s brought this on? Talk to me, Alex.”

Her hands touch mine and in their tenderness and warmth I can feel her love radiate through me. Perhaps I underestimated in her willingness to accept my decision that I didn’t take the time to explain it to her as thoroughly as I ought to have. I clear my throat and take her by the hands as I stare into her emerald green eyes. If I have to leave her behind at Muir Island, the least I could do would make sure she understand why it was that I was leaving. Lorna deserved that much. In truth, she deserved more than that but this was the best that I could give her at short notice. Hopefully it was enough.

“Somewhere down the line we lost touch with why we started this whole thing in the first place. We put these uniforms on because we believed in Xavier’s dream of a future where mutants and humans lived alongside one another in peace. At the heart of that dream was inclusion, co-operation, and an obligation to use our powers to help others where we could. It wasn’t about cutting ourselves off from the rest of the world and placing the things we considered “our” problems above the problems of the rest of the world. There was no place for blissful isolationism then and there should still be no place for it. We’ve allowed ourselves to become convinced that because of the tragedies that have befallen the mutant community it's for the best that we withdraw from public life and lick our wounds until we’re ready to poke our heads above the parapet again. Well that’s not good enough for me anymore, Lorna, and that shouldn’t be good enough for any of us.”

She listens in silence, her face unmoving, until slowly she slips her hands away from me and steps back, her porcelain skin becoming blushed red with a mixture of disbelief and frustration.

“So that’s it then? You think becoming an Avenger is going to overturn decades of anti-mutant prejudice? That people that want to see mutants burnt at the stake are going to have a change of heart all because you’ve decided to fight alongside Clint Barton?”

For the first time there’s an air of derision in her words but I gloss over it. I knew what it was like to be abandoned, I knew what it was like to feel left behind, and I could never begrudge her feeling frustrated at what she felt was my doing the same to her and what we had built here in Scotland. She had every right to feel angry at me and to be skeptical of my leaving but this was bigger than the pair of us. This was about the world, about our people’s place in the world, and I’d never forgive myself if I stood by and doomed another generation to perpetuate the mutant/human conflict because I placed my own self-interest above them.

“I’m not sure,” Alex muttered. “But I do know that burying our heads in the sand isn’t going to change anyone’s minds. The whole world watched Janet Van Dyne give her life to save the world, human and mutant alike, and I’m not about to waste the second chance she gave us all by sticking to a tired, old playbook we know doesn’t work.”

Lorna nods. I walk towards her and reach for her and this time, instead of slipping away, she comes towards me and we embrace in silence for what feels like a lifetime. I press my lips softly against her thick green hair and feel the faintest trace of a tear beginning to seep through my shirt and onto my chest. She wipes her eyes clean with the sleeve of her jumper before we let go of another another, insistent I not see her crying, and we walk outside of the Mutant Research Center with another in a resigned silence.

I wish she could come with me, I had asked her to when I had first told her that Captain America had reached out to me, but she had shot the idea down before it had even left my mouth. As Polaris, Lorna was more powerful than I could ever hope to be, in fact she was more powerful than most could ever hope to be and that was all without ever truly letting loose. Yet she was still Magneto’s daughter and despite my insistence otherwise she was certain that the public wouldn’t be so quick to forgive her for her father’s atrocities as they might be me for Scott’s indiscretions. Despite my own differences with him and what people were saying, Scott hadn’t deviated so far from the path of angels that he was beyond redemption. She would stay here, keep up with the research, and we would visit one another as often as we could. That was all she could promise me.

As the Quinjet touched down on one of Muir Island’s many mossy hills she gave me one last embrace. In it I could feel the weight of a decade of love and tenderness and my mind became filled with all the times we had spent with one another, our first meeting, the day I had asked her to marry me, and the expression on her face when she had said yes. The months ahead would be tough, tougher even without Lorna there to be my rock. I trudged across the grass and climbed aboard the quinjet without so much as a word of welcome, taking a seat beside a window, and watching Lorna, her flash of green hair and her teal jumper blowing in the wind, become smaller and smaller as the quinjet began to elevate. Four words flash across Lorna’s lips and though I cannot hear them it isn’t hard to decipher them.

“Come back to me.”

I nod knowingly, a solemn promise between lovers, one I have absolutely no right to make given Janet Van Dyne’s passing but one I intended to keep.

Whatever happened I would make Lorna proud of me, I would lead by example where my brother had failed to, and most importantly of all I would make sure that Janet hadn’t died for nothing. In six hours from now the quinjet would touch down in New York and my life would never be the same again.

I would be an Avenger.

Last edited:
When you write a mammoth sample to an application and then remember Janet died during Secret Invasion and not Siege.

Bear with my brain fart if you can.

Character Name: Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic

Character Speech Color and Font (actually say what it is, like Blue Comic Sans): Blue and Bold

Powers and Abilities:

Reed has the ability to manipulate his body and stretch to unimaginable lengths. As flexible as his body is, his mind seems to be just as flexible. His IQ, already around the 200 mark, doubled or tripled after the accident.

A genius and a prodigy, Reed Richards never failed at anything he ever attempted... until the day he and three friends went into space. Bathed by cosmic rays - Reed, his fiancee Sue, his brother Johnny, and Reed's best friend pilot Ben Grimm - the four adventurers were changed forever. They developed strange and unusual powers. Together they became the Fantastic Four, world-class heroes and explorers of the strange and unknown.

Today, the Four continue to operate out of the Baxter Building in downtown Manhattan. Alongside them is the Future Foundation, a group of young students Reed and a variety of his allies teach and incourage to become the next wave of human innovation in the world.

Why this character?

I love Reed, I love the FF, and I have some sci-fi idea stuff I want to do.

Posts and some FF stuff.

From an older RP, non-canon, but a sample of how I'd like to write Reed and the Four.

The Fantastic Four on Warworld

A platoon of Mongul's heavily armed guards led the Four down the corridors of the prison. The reptilian alien who was at Mongul's side earlier led them.

"What is this place?" Reed asked the alien. "Earlier, you said this is Warworld, but it's not a real planet. The surface appears to be made of synthetic materials and there are weapons implanted in the ground like trees."

"Silence," the alien hissed. "It is not your place to ask questions."

"I'm a scientist, all I do is ask questions."

"If you must know, Warworld will be the heart of the God-King Mongul's glorious empire. He, the second of his name, will reclaim his birthright from the usurpers."

"Usurpers?" Sue asked.

"The wicked men and women who murdered Mongul, God-King of the glorious Mongul empire and the first in his name, as he slept. They forced God-King Mongul, the second of his name, to flee from his homeworld as a child. He was raised on Warworld with the empire's finest warriors and those who are deemed worthy to fight in his honor."

"How exactly are ya deemed worthy?"

The alien turned to the Four and smirked. "The arena."

As they navigated down the long corridor, the sound of crowd noise began to fill the air. The sound of feet pounding shook the whole corridor where the Four were led out into the arena.

The crowd roared its approval, as well as its contempt at the sight of the humans being herded into the middle of the arena. Sitting high above monitoring the festivities was Mongul, a pleased smirk on his face. He stood from his chair and a hush fell on the crowd.

"Who comes before Mongul?" His voice boomed through the arena.

"My lord," the reptilian said, bowing as he spoke. "These four prisoners were found guilty of crimes against Warworld, among them is their feeble attempt to invade our planet. They are spies, warriors, and cowards..."

"We came in peace," Reed spat out.

"Silence!" The alien hissed, jabbing Reed in the side. "You are cowards, liars, and unworthy to even grace the God-King's presence."

"Bite me, snake-boy," Johnny said with a roll of his eyes. "Get this crap over with."

Two of the guards grabbed Johnny while a third struck him in the stomach, dropping him to his knees in pain.

"What has the God-King declared?" Mongul asked, a sadistic grin plastered on his face. That these four be sentenced to die in the arena!"

A roar went through the crowd as the spectators rose to their feet and cheered the verdict. Mongul let the cries go on for several minutes before he raised his hand, a sudden and eerie hush fell on the arena.

"That is not all. As a further punishment, the God-King has declared that the homeworld of these four will suffer the same fate as their champions. While we watch them die inside the arena, they will watch as Warworld tears their home apart."

Mongul sat back down on his throne and pressed a button on the arm console. The roof of the arena slid open, revealing a night sky filled with stars. He pressed another button and opened up a communications line.

"Jump," he said. The entire planet experienced a brief flutter of vertigo before the stars in the sky all blinked out of view. "Let's hope you four survive long enough to see you planet die. I would hate to cause all that destruction without properly tormenting you. Now, BEGIN!"

The crowd cheered loudly as the guards released the Four from their bonds and hurried out the arena floor, the reptilian just behind them and running for dear life. A gate shuddered open and a dozen alien soldiers marched out, melee weapons in their hands. Their leader snorted and roared loudly, much to the crowd's approval.

"This is the best they have for me?!" He yelled. "Bolphunga the Unrelenting will barely break a sweat killing you!"

The Thing swung wildly at the alien soldiers grouped around him and knocked away four with one swipe of his arm. The Human Torch was in the air, aflame and blasting the warriors with columns of fire from his hands.

Reed waited for two sword-wielding soldiers to charge him before he struck. He contorted and twisted his body to avoid their blades. He shifted both his hands into the shape of sledgehammers and struck the two aliens in the head with his hardened fists.

Sue raced through the arena on a disc made of invisible constructs. She whipped past a soldier with her arm out and clotheslined the warrior. Another alien stepped in front of her oncoming path, a laser rifle in his hands. He fired wildly and Sue shot her hands up, creating an invisible barrier in which the laser bolts harmlessly bounced away. She hardened the barrier and turned her sights on her attacker. Sue charged on her disc towards him and knocked him out cold as the invisible barrier drove him into the air.

Bolphunga the Unrelenting growled as he pounced on Ben, his sword cutting through the air. Ben thrust his arm out and sparks flew off his rocky skin as Bolphunga's sword raked across his skin. Ben pushed him back and swung for his chest, barely missing the alien warrior as Bolphunga stepped back. Bolphunga swung again and Ben blocked with his rocky forearm, knocking him back slightly.

"You will die," Bolphunga screamed as he recovered and swung for Ben's head. "Bolphunga the Unrelenting does not--"

He was cut short as Ben's rock-hard fist slammed into his face and knocked him into the air. Bolphunga crashed in the arena stands and rolled to a stop on top of an audience member.

"Bolphunga the Unrelenting does not relent...," he said dazed and confused.

From his throne, Mongul watched as the Four took out the rest of Mongul's men with ease. He scowled and pressed a button on his armrest.

"Report," he said into the commlink mounted on his chair.

"We are preparing to enter Earth's system, my king," the engineer on the other end reported.

"Start to prepare the weapons."

Cheers and boos echoed through the arena as Johnny took out the last alien soldier with a fiery blast. He flew up into the air and winked as he passed by Mongul.

"That the best you got, dude?!"

Mongul stood and eyed the regrouping Fantastic Four with hateful contempt. The warlord held up a meaty arm and a sudden and disturbing silence fell upon the arena.

"RELEASE THE MONSTER OF THE BADOON!"

The entire arena burst into thunderous cheers. Mongul sat back down and smirked at the Four. The floor of the arena began to shake and tremble. The Four stood in the center of the arena and looked around for their next challenge.

"That don't sound good."

"Master of the obvious, this guy is."

"Whatever it is," Sue said in a reassuring tone. "We can beat it. Right, Reed?"

Suddenly, the entrance into the arena shattered. Stone and steel flew through the air as large, hulking creature the size of a medium-sized apartment buliding ripped through the gate and pranced around the arena, its razor-sharp maw snapping at the guards near the arena's perimeter.

"We can beat it," Reed said as the beast towered over them. It roared loudly, shaking the entire arena with just the sound of its voice.

"We can beat it, maybe."

It roared again and the Four scattered to get as far away from it as possible.

The Monster of the Badoon trampled through the arena floor while Reed rode on top of the beast's head, his arms elongated and wrapped around the monster's jaws. As it ran, the other members of the Fantastic chased after it. Ben on foot, Johnny and Sue in the air. Johnny was aflame and Sue flew on a disc of invisible energy.

The monster snapped its jaws open and shut and shook its head vigorously. Reed held on for dear life before he was finally sent flying into the air.

"Ahhh!" Reed yelled as he tumbled through the air and crashed into the arena stands. A group of Mongul's alien warriors grabbed Reed and tossed him back into the arena. He fell on the ground and stood up just in time to see the Badoon charging towards him.

"Look out, Stretcho!" Ben yelled. He stepped in front of Reed and held his arms out as the Badoon lowered its head to strike.

WHAM!!!

The force of the two meeting kicked dust into the air. By the time the dust had cleared, Ben was embedded shin deep in the ground, straining as he held the Badoon's head up over his head.

"I. Could. Do. With. Some. Help," he said through gritted teeth. The ground beneath the Badoon began to shake as it and Ben began to float above the arena floor. They went higher and higher into the air.

"Ben," Sue said from the ground, blood dripping from her nose. "Get ready to fall."

The force field holding Ben and the Badoon in the air suddenly disappeared. Ben and the monster began to fall towards the ground. Reed stretched his body out and contorted into the shape of a trapeze. Ben's rocky frame bounced off Reed and hit the ground with no relative damage while the Monster of the Badoon...

WHAM!!!

The impact of the beast slamming into the arena floor shook the whole building, sending a spiderweb crack racing across the ground. The monster stood up and began to stumble around the arena floor dazed.

"Ben," Reed said as he stretched his body across the arena, his arms and legs holding on to the arena walls. "Slingshot time!"

Ben nodded and ran into Reed and grabbed him, stretching him back until his elastic frame became taunt. Ben let go of Reed and flew into the air like a rocky cannonball aimed right at the Badoon.

KRAK!!!

A solid slam echoed through the entire arena as Ben leveled the beast with a powerful right hook. The force of the blow knocked the monster to the ground. It was unconscious before its head hit the ground.

A cheer came from the crowd as Ben landed. The Monster of the Badoon had been defeated with just one blow. As hostile as they had started out, the hordes of Mongul rained praise and adulation down on the Four.

"Silence!" Mongul roared from on high. The crowd suddenly became still as he, their god-kid, stood and looked down at the Four. "You whelps come to Mongul's world and defeat his men and beasts? This is an insult to the god-king Mongul and all that he stands for."

Suddenly, a feeling of dizziness and vertigo washed over everyone in the arena. From the open roof, the blue marble of Earth could be seen.

"We have arrived, whelps. In mere minutes, your planet will be destroyed."

Mongul jumped from his throne and fell to the arena floor. He landed with a thump and stood before the Four.

"But not before Mongul will have the pleasure of breaking each and every bone in all your bodies. Tell Mongul, who dies first?"

"Nobody dies," Reed said as the Four began to charge towards Mongul. "Ben, do you happen to have the time?"

"Just so happens to be my favorite time," Ben said with a large grin."It's clobberin' time!"

Anthony_Stark_%28Earth-616%29_from_Iron_Man_Vol_3_1_001.jpg

Character Name:
Anthony "Tony" Stark - Iron Man

Character Speech Color and Font (actually say what it is, like Blue Comic Sans): Dark Red Century Gothic, Bold

Powers and Abilities: Originally, Stark had no superhuman abilities and instead relied on a supreme intellect and highly skilled technological prowess to invent a series of advanced suits of armor for use in virtually any offense or defense scenerios. However, with the implementation of the "Extremis" virus into his system, Stark now possesses the ability to naturally control any piece of technology in existence - including his latest and seemingly greatest invention yet, the Bleeding Edge armor, which is housed in Stark's bone marrow in order to be stored on his person at all times and activated at will.

Character Origin/Backstory: Inheriting a billion dollar fortune from his deceased parents at a very early age, Tony Stark turned a path towards a brighter tomorrow heralded by his own genius into an escalating journey of self-destruction. Carefree and astoundingly irresponsible, he partied, drank, and womanized his troubles away well into his adulthood. Nevertheless, Stark maintained a secure grip on his father Howard's company, Stark Enterprises, by manufacturing weapons both in domestic territories and overseas.

However, when performing a routine inspection of one of his latest shipments on foreign soil, Stark was caught in the crossfire of terrorists looking to steal his designs for themselves. Forced into an internment camp and held for ransom along with his company's stolen weapons cache, Stark was shocked to discover that he was slowly dying from shrapnel embedded into his heart. Luckily with the help of fellow captive Ho Yinsen, Tony was able to build a metal chestpiece capable of saving his life. With only raw materials at his disposal, Stark hand-crafted a suit of armor to take on his captors directly and eventually escape captivity.

Returning home with a new lease on life, Tony made a succession of modifications to the design of that crude exo-skeleton and pledged to use his talents for the good of others. From that day forth, he was known to the world as both Tony Stark and his armored alter-ego, The Invincible Iron Man.

Why this character? Honestly, out of all the characters in the main Marvel continuity, he's the only character I really have a story to tell with. Plus, he's always been among one of my favorite Marvel characters, and goes all the way back to childhood as being neck-in-neck with Cap for my favorite Avenger.

What can you bring to the RPG? Hopefully my best darn rendition of a genius, billionaire playboy philanthropist. Which I hope to be a stark (see what I did there?) contrast between the Iron Man of any comic before 2008 and the more modern, Robert Downey Jr. centric version that everyone's fallen in love with.

Sample coming. Just gotta re-approach writing one whenever my eyes stop readjusting themselves from lack of sleep.

Character Name:Peter Parker aka The Amazing Spider-Man

Character Speech Color and Font (actually say what it is, like Blue Comic Sans):Bold Red Comic Sans for in the mask/Red Arial Narrow for out of the mask.

Powers and Abilities: Does whatever a spider can. Spins a web any size. Catches thieves just like flies. So you know look out.

Character Origin/Backstory: Ok going abridged here cause we all know this story and im double parked. Nerdy kid bit by radioactive spider. Gains abilities. Gets a big head and chooses not to stop a thief. Said thief whacks kid's beloved uncle. Kid swears to use his power responsibly.

Why this character? Wanna shake off the RPG cobwebs and who better than the Webslinger himself.

What can you bring to the RPG? Hopefully an intriguing story that'll be worth the reader's time.

Provide a short sample post as your desired character, in three paragraphs or more and featuring at least one line of dialogue:Coming soon peeps.

Last edited:
Mmmmm, MJ thong....

Um, I mean, approved. The lot of you. Yes, nothing going on here...

Earlier I found myself thinking about the attack on New York by Ultron in the Heroes and Villains game years ago.

Good times.

Anybody know anyone we can PM, maybe drum up some more characters

I sent a couple out on Roleplayer Guild to a few people on comic-related games there that kind of ghost back and forth between sites.

I may send out a PM to a few people for the old games, see if anyone may wanna come back, perhaps do some advertising in the other OCC threads. Ill see what things look like come this weekend and get a game thread going. That should generate some new interest too

thor_8.jpg

Character Name: The Mighty Thor

Alignment (Hero, Villain, Walking the Line):
Hero

Character Speech Color and Font (actually say what it is, like Blue Comic Sans): Grey Georgia Bold

Powers and Abilities:
As an Asgardian, Thor is incredibly long lived, his life so far lasting many millennia. Being the son of Odin and the elder goddess Gaea, he possesses incredible strength, and is considered the strongest of all Asgardians. He is incredibly durable, nearly reaching the point of invulnerability. He has heightened senses and stamina, and is a master hand-to-hand combatant. He is considered possibly the greatest warrior the universe has ever seen.

As the Norse God of Thunder, Thor has the ability to summon the powers of the storm to aid him, able to call forth lightning, thunder, wind, rain, and snow. As the son of Gaea, he has also show some ability to control the earth, though this is limited.

Thor's powers are aided greatly by the mighty hammer Mjolnir. It allows him to fly at supersonic speeds on earth and greater than the speed of light in space. It can focus his weather powers, enhances his strength, protect him with forcefields, among other spectacular powers. While Thor is a formidable warrior on his own, Mjolnir makes him one of the most powerful beings in the Universe.

The Mighty Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, was Asgard's most powerful warrior and defender, as well as its heir to the throne. However he was vain and headstrong, and through the machinations of his trickster brother Loki, was banished to Earth to learn humility. On Midgard, as the Asgardians knew Earth, he regained his hammer Mjolnir after learning his lesson, and took it up in the defense of Earth's people whom he learned to care about.

He became a part of Earth's mightiest heroes, The Avengers, and became one of the planets most stalwart defenders. Through the years he was tested on Midgard, Asgard, and the other realms of the Universe and always survived to fight another day.

After Norman Osborn's HAMMER and Dark Avengers attacked and destroyed Asgard, now residing on Midgard, Thor is left to ponder the future of his people. He will strike out on a mission to secure their place in the Nine Realms yet again as he continues to protect Midgard and its people.

Why this character?
I think post-Siege is an interesting time for Thor. His home his gone, seemingly for good. He's kind of directionless, and I like to take him on a bit of an epic journey to try and reforge his place in the universe.

The Mighty Thor! Verily.

The Ruins of Asgard
Outside Broxton, Oklahoma

It had all fallen here. As Thor walked the still smoking rubble of what was once his home, he reflected on how often he had seen Asgard in ruins in only the past years alone. Years were nearly like days to Asgardians, yet he had never seen such destruction brought upon his world time and time again than since he had known Migard as his second home. He wondered if it meant the end of all things was truly on its way as some Asgardians believed. Either way, the destruction and death seen during Osborn's siege shook Thor to the core.

Midgardians were easily swayed. He knew that. Their short lives drew them to people who they believed could give them meaning. Osborn was a lunatic, but he was also charismatic. He had deceived his people and led them into folly, and thanks to that many heroes, villains, and innocent people lost their lives on the field of battle unnecessarily. Thor himself had to kill a hero and former ally The Sentry after he went mad with power and killed Thor's treacherous brother Loki. It was too much.

Maybe choosing Earth was not the right decision, in the end. Thor thought the Midgardians ready to share the planet with Gods. After all, they had made strides in sharing it with mutants, why not his people as well? Now that answer was made clear.

"You look troubled, Thunderer," a deep, wisdom-filled voice said from behind Thor. He turned to find Heimdall, the gatekeeper and sentry of Asgard. He had been neutralized by Loki before the Siege, and Thor could see the regret and shame in his eyes. "This is a lot to take in."

"Do not blame yourself, Heimdall," Thor sat on what was the ruins of a statue of his likeness. "None saw Osborn's villainy reaching this far."

"Yet I am the one who is supposed to be vigilant," the gatekeeper shook his head. "And Loki tricked me. Again."

"As he does us all from time to time. Take heart," Thor comforted his old friend. Loki had gotten the best of them, but paid for it in the end. "But you are correct. My thoughts are troubled. I do not think Midgard was the right choice for our home. That is clear now."

"So what is our next course of action?"

"I shall consult Balor," Thor sighed. "I believe it is time we reclaim our original home."

I'm closing in on a character choice. Just want to do a little more research reading first.

I think I might pick up a second character too. Just trying to decide who that might be.

Thinking bout having the game thread up this weekend. I'm ready to get the creativity flowing

Felt bad for not posting a sample for my app so I figured id drop my first post to make up. I hope this is up to par. I forgot how long its actually been since ive done this. Hope you all like.

Edit: Moved to IC.

Last edited:
Hmm... got one.

Character sheet coming.

Character Name: Henry "Hank" Pym
, AKA More names than can be listed here within the character limit... and Head of Avengers Academy

Character Speech Color and Font (actually say what it is, like Blue Comic Sans): Georgia, Red, Bold

Powers and Abilities:
* Size-shifting from virtually microscopic to absolutely enormous
* Genius level intellect
* Telepathic communication with ants using a cybernetic helmet of his own design
* Potentially flight (had grafted wings as Yellowjacket) and Bio-energy protection "stings" also by inventions of his own design
* Able to transfer his size-shifting abilities to other people and objects from his understanding of Pym Particles
* Superhuman strength and some limited ability to control his own mass from his own use of Pym particles (not to the extent of someone like the Vision however)

Unbridled Genius. Well-meaning. Discovers new rare sub-atomic particles which seem to open a whole new world of potential with their effects on size and mass. "Hey I can talk to ants". "Hmm... robotics and artificial intelligence, what can I do with this." "Oops, I created the ultimate murder-bot." Ultimate murder-bot becomes one of the biggest threats to the human race ever known. Guilt. Lots of guilt. Withdrawing into self. Oops, manifests alternate personalities and one of them knocks the hell out of wife. Grapples to gain back control of self. Does so. More guilt. Whoa boy is there guilt... All the while murder-bot tries to wipe out humanity another couple times. So some more pretty crushing guilt. Then, a new threat forces him to confront and deal with his issues*. Actually resolves own issues. Becomes in complete control of his faculties. Starts to consider ways of making the most of his capabilities, ways to prove himself a boon to society.

Meanwhile... scumbag nutcase Norman Osborn creates his own Dark Avengers with the support of the public after protecting the world from Skrull Invasion. Scumbag nutcase Norman Osborn starts tracking and collecting young people who have begun to manifest superpowers for his own agenda, having witnessed the potential of these young people in his foe Spider-man. Long story short, Norman Osborn defeated, his Dark Avengers broken up and the question is raised...

Won't somebody think of the children?!?

Hank Pym. A man who has been through hell and back, truly understanding the power that an individual can wield in this brave new world and the terrible consequences of misuse is agreed to be the perfect candidate for showing these children the path to redemption.

Now can he teach them how to build a better tomorrow, or will Hank Pym inadvertently create a new monster for the next generation..?

Why this character?
Big fan of redemption heroes. Like getting to cut my own path somewhat, and there's a lot of development possible for the relatively new young characters of Avengers Academy and the trials and tribulations of the man trying to show them the right path.

Sass, b****!

Provide a short sample post as your desired character, in three paragraphs or more and featuring at least one line of dialogue
Still to come. Should be up tomorrow.

* Kang Dynasty, check it out... Thank you, Busiek!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"