The Illuminati thread [spoilers]

samsnee

Ok
Reaction score
Let’s talk about that world.

No Iron Man. Seems like Richards took his place.

Mutants and Inhumans exist. But were they defeated by Thanos?

Is Mordo still stuck in that pit?

I'm a big fan of the Illuminati and do wish the film had gone further with them or had more members. A Tony Stark variant? MadVillainy suggested Wesley Snipes as Blade, which I think would've been awesome. Maybe Ioan Gruffudd as Reed?

At the end of the day, I get that they weren't the focal point of the film. Frankly, with no Tony or T'Challa, and since the MCU didn't have the F4 yet, I wondered for awhile if it'd even be possible to have the Illuminati represented at all, so seeing them at all was a nice treat.

I did like seeing Anson Mount back as Black Bolt, with an actual mask this time and not just his face uncovered. He and Iwan Rheon were the best parts of the Inhumans show, I feel, which isn't saying much, but still. Since he is just a variant, I wonder if we'll see Mount or anyone else from the Inhumans cast back when the MCU inevitably gets around to the Inhumans.

Felt like their introduction scene was fine, but they were massively wasted after. I get the point that they were trying to come across of them underestimating Wanda, but there should have been more of an equal footing in that fight rather than her just killing them all effortlessly.

Also massively disappointed with how they handled her scene with Xavier. There could have been so much more to that.

here's my thought, tho, would our Doctor Strange try to create his own Illuminati in the main MCU, an if so who would be his members ?

I think it would have been touching having a variant of a character who had died in the 616 MCU.

here's my thought, tho, would our Doctor Strange try to create his own Illuminati in the main MCU, an if so who would be his members ?
Would be very cool if so.

I think a Tom Cruise-Iron Man would have been fitting in the MCU in its current stage than the Krasinski-Reed Richards reveal we got. To us, Tony Stark is the smartest man on the planet. It’s the face of the man that Doctor Strange knew had to die for the universe to live. Much more opportunity for narrative impact—even watching Scarlett Witch later murder him.

Keep Christine’s Baxter Foundation Easter egg and maybe even a Fantastic Four namedrop but no visual appearance at all, unless a post-credits scene. All of Krasinski’s dialogue as Richards is easily transferable to a Tom Cruise-Tony Stark, even the appeal to Wanda as a parent (replace allusions to Sue, Valeria & Franklin with Pepper & Morgan).

And maybe replace Black Bolt with the Maestro as played by Eric Bana in reference to Hulk (2003). We have a stronger connection to Hulk than we do Black Bolt.

Keep Xavier though; that was fun lol. Especially with all the fanfare with using the animated series theme and DOFP quote (“just because someone stumbles, loses their way, does not mean they are lost forever”). And of course, the hover chair. The MCU proper can still introduce a different actor when they decide to bring in their Charles Xavier.

And I’d have given each of them an Infinity Gem (not Stone, because multiverse):
  • Captain Carter - Reality (Hayley Atwell)
  • Captain Marvel - Space (Lashana Lynch)
  • Maestro - Power (Eric Bana)
  • Iron Man - Soul (Tom Cruise)
  • Professor X - Mind (Patrick Stewart)
  • Sorcerer Supreme - Time (Chiwetel Ejiofor)
Doctor-Strange-2-Fan-Poster-Brings-Tom-Cruise---s-Superior-Iron-Man-to-the-MCU.jpg

Last edited:

Based on his intellect, and because who knows what the hell the MCU is doing with him going forward, I could see Banner being potentially recruited.

I can't stop thinking about the Illuminati scenes. It was blatant fan service but seeing Krasinski as Reed and Xavier rolling in to the classic X-Men animated theme was mind blowing.

I almost passed out.

And when Xavier used his powers and had the wavy line effect like in the cartoon… *chef’s kiss*

Let’s talk about that world.

No Iron Man. Seems like Richards took his place.

Mutants and Inhumans exist. But were they defeated by Thanos?

Is Mordo still stuck in that pit?

Superior Iron Man was there. The Ultron drones were fashioned after his suit. I was expecting him to show up after Wanda killed Xavier but I was glad he didn't. 838 Iron Man can now participate in Secret Wars! We need an Iron Man in that movie and I doubt they'll use RDJ in any capacity. Tom Cruise will do the trick.

When thinking of who should be on it I think it could be helpful to think what the members represent. As the Illuminati I think they're all people with the highest positions in different places that deal with superpowered beings.
I think it was:
  • Peggy Carter - leader of the Avengers, their Earth's primary terrestrial defence force
  • Maria Rambeau- leader of SWORD (or Interstellar Alpha Flight or whatever), their Earth's main space force
  • Blackagar Boltagon - king of the Inhuman society
  • Reed Richards - leader of the Fantastic Four and head of the Baxter Foundation, their Earth's leader in scientific progress
  • Charles Xavier - leader of the X-Men, Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters and generally a key figure in the mutant community
  • Stephen Strange/Karl Mordo - Sorcerer Supreme, leader of Kamar-Taj, Master of the New York Sanctum, most influential figure in the magical community.

I don't think Tony could clearly fill a role Peggy and Reed haven't already covered.
Blade doesn't seem like the type to be an influential leader of a specific community.
Not sure what role Maestro would fill.
Black Panther and Namor could be on it for similar reasons as Black Bolt, but probably weren't due to stuff to do with the actors and plans for Black Panther 2. Though maybe a variant like N'Jadaka or M'Baku or Nakia or someone else having become leader of Wakanda on this earth might have been cool.

I think if we go with a similar distribution for the main MCU right now, potential candidates might be

• Sam Wilson - Avengers
  • Carol Danvers - Primary Space org
  • Wong or Strange - Sorcerer Supreme/Master of the Mystic Arts
  • Bruce Banner or Hank Pym - Scientist Supreme
  • Sersi - Leader of the Eternals
  • Nick Fury - Leader of SHIELD
And then within the rest of this phase
  • Shuri (or whoever is the lead in BP 2) - Leader of Wakanda
  • Namor (assuming he's introduced) - King of Atlantis
  • Reed Richards - Leader of the Fantastic Four (and potentially replacement lead science person)
Actually the post-credits for Shang-Chi have Wong, Bruce and Carol in contact as basically representatives for Magic, Science and Space already.

Last edited:
It was a fun scene, I am fine with them being defeated but just wanted a better fight to be put up against Wanda.

I was expecting Xavier to really get one over on Wanda instead of just standing there in her mind and getting snapped.

I'm still buzzing over that scene and the more I think about it the more I cant believe Feige allowed this amount of fanservice to happen. I loved just seeing these pre-established Marvel characters just do their thing like we were reading a comic book.

Also, I think after this they will have no choice but to cast Krasinski, he will be trending after this weekend.

It was a fun scene, I am fine with them being defeated but just wanted a better fight to be put up against Wanda.

I was expecting Xavier to really get one over on Wanda instead of just standing there in her mind and getting snapped.
There were leaked storyboards of them having a psychic battle but I guess they scrapped it to keep in line with the horror vibe.

I just wish Reed did more than just try to slap her with his arm.

Do you think Lashanas and Hayleys interpretation of Captain Marvel and Captain Carter will be back in further movies?

Do you think Lashanas and Hayleys interpretation of Captain Marvel and Captain Carter will be back in further movies?
I’d be surprised if we don’t get Captain Carter again. Hayley Atwell looks good as the character and could play her well IMO. Also I imagine she’d be up for it and I think Marvel might be open to it.

I don't remember if it was mentioned here but Captain Carter is the first ever original character in the history of comics who managed to appear in comic books, TV, and cinema in less than a year.

I'm still buzzing over that scene and the more I think about it the more I cant believe Feige allowed this amount of fanservice to happen. I loved just seeing these pre-established Marvel characters just do their thing like we were reading a comic book.

Also, I think after this they will have no choice but to cast Krasinski, he will be trending after this weekend.
At least we know he isn’t totally put off by the character if he agreed to film this role. Plus the opportunity for further conversations would come up naturally now that he has done some work with Marvel. Chances are higher at least than they were a few years ago.

Posting what I said in another thread

I don't think they should use a Stark variant. Even if played by Cruise, Rockwell or another actor. Let Iron Man (live action anyway) rest for a bit.

I think they couldve/should've done either of these 2 things.
Option 1: Have the Illuminati casting be a tribute to the Marvel movies (good or bad) that came before. The line up should only feature actors from non MCU Marvel movies. A lineup could be like
-Xavier/Patrick Stewart or Xavier/McAvoy. I'm leaning toward McAvoy even tho I like Stewart more just because Patrick Stewart got 2 good Xavier send offs
-Reed Richards/Ioan Gruffudd or Sue Storm/Jessica Alba just to play with the expectations of Reed being in the Illuminati. Not sure if Alba would do it since she has said she didn't like making the FF movies
-Eric Bana/Hulk
-Wesley Snipes/Blade
-Jennifer Garner/Elektra. I would say Affleck as Daredevil but I wanted to have another woman on the team and didn't wanna use another X-Man​

As said before this would be kinda a tipping of the hat to what came before regardless of quality.

or

Option 2: Have the Illuminati be only MCU related characters/variants
-Director Coulson/Clark Gregg. This would be a variant of Coulson that became director of SHIELD after Fury and Hill died during the battle with Thanos
-Captain Carter/Hayley Atwell
-Captain Marvel/Lashawna Lynch
-Black Bolt/Anson Mount
-Baron Mordo/Chiwitel Ejifor variant...maybe I'm 50/50 on this, I feel like having a Mordo variant kinda takes some shine from the main timeline Mordo and his mission
-Iron Fist/Finn Jones or Colleen Wiig/Jessica Henwick. I know Finn Jones as IF wasn't that well liked but they included the freaking someone from ABC's The Inhumans
-Honorable mention: Ultron/James Spader as a good Ultron variant​

Option 1 will be more attention grabbing and will break the internet, but Option 2 makes more sense story-wise. In either case, whichever option they choose the Illuminati would be actual characters in the movie not just cheap cameos.

The storyline should've been Scarlett Witch (or someone) is negatively affecting the multiverse for whatever sympathetic reason and the Illuminati are trying to stop them. However, the Illuminati's is more ruthless due to things that happen in their own universe and they're kinda ****ing stuff up in terms of collateral damage, etc. Strange is caught in the middle.

Captain Carter rocks! :hrt:

Peggy's always been my favorite female MCU character and Hailey's amazing. Turning her into a full blown superhero was a natural progression.

Again, I just hate how they used her in this, along with the rest of the Illuminati.

I have heard rumors Captain Carter may end up getting a live action D+ series. So it seems plans are there for her. Now Lashana Captain Marvel....I doubt that more. Maybe a What If episode next season?

Though both could always pop up in Secret Wars, whenever we get there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"