Justice League The Justice League General & Speculation Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 50

WB expected not to waste $250M+ on movies that don’t bring in the type of return on investment.

I won’t deny that MOS and BvS doesn’t have fans, but to put in the same category as TDK which did better financially and had a much better reaction is silly.
I'll agree some what but I still think TDK films are overrated and I would still argue that TDK benefited somewhat because of the death of Ledger and the rumors surrounding why he died.

Maybe, but I don’t think most people elevate it because of Ledger. It would probably still be one of the most well regarded CBM even if he didn’t pass.

Snyder's original vision sounded just as bad as BvS. I don't blame WB for making him change it after the critical drubbing that movie took, as well as the drop-off from opening weekend.

wouldn't they just not release WB snyder rewritten cut simply cause ava is working on new gods/darkseid?

As bad as JL turned out, I believe Snyder’s version would’ve killed the franchise and we wouldn’t be getting movies like Shazam, Wonder Woman ‘84, The Batman, etc...

Regardless of JL, Wonder Woman was always going to get a sequel and I think WB would've always been keen to get another Batman film on the go.

What people also need to keep in mind though this was Snyder's original plan for Justice League however what he shot is a completely different story where most of that doesn't happen at all.

What people also need to keep in mind though this was Snyder's original plan for Justice League however what he shot is a completely different story where most of that doesn't happen at all.

True, despite these "revelations" we don't actually know anymore about the Snyder cut of the film.

True, despite these "revelations" we don't actually know anymore about the Snyder cut of the film.
What was shot according to rumors is they skipped over the whole evil Superman theme and just went with more of a world without Superman storyline about how his death effected those close to him and how it effected Batman and Wonder Woman as well as how much they realize they needed him for the upcoming battle against Darkseid. Still a serious movie but more light hearted and more about bringing the League together.

As bad as JL turned out, I believe Snyder’s version would’ve killed the franchise and we wouldn’t be getting movies like Shazam, Wonder Woman ‘84, The Batman, etc...

WB had already cancelled his 5-movie arc that was initially planned and storyboarded, they even asked Snyder and Terrio to just make one JL movie instead of JL Part-1 and JL Part-2, so even if they had not called Whedon to reshoot certain scenes, the JL movie we would have got wouldn't have been too different.

That is, Snyder's version of JL (the one was shot) wouldn't have killed Aquaman, WW84, Shazam and Matt Reeves' The Batman.

What was shot according to rumors is they skipped over the whole evil Superman theme and just went with more of a world without Superman storyline about how his death effected those close to him and how it effected Batman and Wonder Woman as well as how much they realize they needed him for the upcoming battle against Darkseid. Still a serious movie but more light hearted and more about bringing the League together.
The truth is that, the Knightmare sequence in this movie was always my idea that all of that would eventually be explained … and that we would end up in the distance future, where Darkseid has taken over Earth and where Superman has succumbed to the Anti-Life [Equation] … There was a few members of the Justice League that had survived in that world, that they were fighting. Batman broke a pact with Cyborg because something happened… They were working on an equation to jump Flash back to tell Bruce…
Another Part 2 possibility.
They beat Steppenwolf, Darkseid is teased, but not an immediate threat. So, part 2 is a time skip to what's essentially Flashpoint Paradox.

Another Part 2 possibility.
They beat Steppenwolf, Darkseid is teased, but not an immediate threat. So, part 2 is a time skip to what's essentially Flashpoint Paradox.
A possibility but when they did a page one rewrite of JL before they started filming the movie all that killing Lois and evil Superman stuff went out the window.

A possibility but when they did a page one rewrite of JL before they started filming the movie all that killing Lois and evil Superman stuff went out the window.
I mean that with the page one rewrite. Josstice League is basically the same movie, except everyone and everything has time to breath and gets fleshed out. When Oliva said nothing for part 2 was filmed, he might also be referring to those two movies didn't bleed into each other to the same degree as BvS -> JL.

I mean that with the page one rewrite. Josstice League is basically the same movie, except everyone and everything has time to breath and gets fleshed out. When Oliva said nothing for part 2 was filmed, he might also be referring to those two movies didn't bleed into each other to the same degree as BvS -> JL.
Agreed I think JL TC is just a snack size version family friendly summary of what Snyder's JL (the one that was shot) was. I think Snyder's movie that was shot was more story driven and more action packed.

It certainly would have been more interesting to see Snyder's version -- or one of his versions -- compared to whatever the hell version of JL we actually got in theaters.

It certainly would have been more interesting to see Snyder's version -- or one of his versions -- compared to whatever the hell version of JL we actually got in theaters.
giphy.gif

Every clean DC hit seems to be coming from the Geoff Johns way of doing things. Wonder Woman, Aquaman (his rebooted continuity) and probably Shazam, which seems to be borrowing from Johns's New 52 revamp. Freddy as a disabled kid, the foster family, etc. If Johns and Snyder's visions were at odds, keeping the former while losing the latter was a long-term investment that is paying off so far. A patchworked JL and keeping Snyder's version as a glorified "What if" might even seem like a fair price to pay in the long run.

Every clean DC hit seems to be coming from the Geoff Johns way of doing things. Wonder Woman, Aquaman (his rebooted continuity) and probably Shazam, which seems to be borrowing from Johns's New 52 revamp. Freddy as a disabled kid, the foster family, etc. If Johns and Snyder's visions were at odds, keeping the former while losing the latter was a long-term investment that is paying off so far. A patchworked JL and keeping Snyder's version as a glorified "What if" might even seem like a fair price to pay in the long run.

from a long term business point of view, yes this is true.

i am looking forward to the future dc movies, as long as they are solid, its good.

but a big part of me thinks of the "what if" alot.
what if we got to see snyder's complete vision.
from a fan perspective, i'm of two minds about this.

Freddy has always been disabled, but yes Shazam is clearly primarily based of Johns version. Frankly that's one of my main worries about it.
Aquaman my lowest ranked DCEU film, below JL, I am not a fan Johns.

I used to like Johns, but he lost me somewhere around Blackest Night. That's when the repetition of his storytelling methods became very obvious to me.

The last really good story he wrote, imo, was Sinestro Wars.

While Doomsday Clock is solid, it still has a lot of trademark Johns-isms, one being a very decompressed storyline that keeps readers going because he keeps most of what's important a mystery for most of the story, and then before you know it, there's only a few issues left and he doesn't execute the finale of the story because it winds up being rushed, and he then starts to focus on setting up the next story, and thus the cycle continues, and we are left wondering, if you had so little time left for your conclusion, why spend a whole issue on the new Rorschach's origin?

Also, he tends to write the heroes in a bland way, but does a really good job with the villains and is very strong in world building. But at the heart of it, the hero often comes across as blah to me. This was true with his GL run, Aquaman, Superman, JL, etc.

I remember reading Blackest Night, and after reading the 4th or 5th issue, I was thinking to myself, why do Hal and Barry feel off to me? That same night, I read the GL/Flash Brave and the Bold trade I had just bought (by Mark Waid), and the contrast was pretty stark. Waid had a clear voice for each character. They popped. I got a sense of who they were. They weren't just characters who's purpose was to serve a larger story, but characters who's stories evolved out of who they were.

WB had already cancelled his 5-movie arc that was initially planned and storyboarded, they even asked Snyder and Terrio to just make one JL movie instead of JL Part-1 and JL Part-2, so even if they had not called Whedon to reshoot certain scenes, the JL movie we would have got wouldn't have been too different.

That is, Snyder's version of JL (the one was shot) wouldn't have killed Aquaman, WW84, Shazam and Matt Reeves' The Batman.
I was referring his plan for a 5 movie arc. That would’ve killed this franchise

I was referring his plan for a 5 movie arc. That would’ve killed this franchise
I think if you tweet a few things his five movie plan could've worked. When I saw tweet I mean not killing off Batman. I think the JL movie that he shot was probably the best compromise to everything where it is a still a story driven movie but not as dark and more hopeful. Kind of like Man of Steel. By most accounts that movie closes out his Superman story but leaves everything open for future directors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"