Comics The Lizard: "No Going Back"

Hobgoblin

Veritas veritatum
Reaction score
http://marvel.com/news/story/18305/wondercon_2012_amazing_spider-man

By Jim Beard

The next major AMAZING SPIDER-MAN storyline following the current “Ends of the Earth,” “No Going Back,” will spotlight a battle between the wall-crawler and The Lizard, stars of this summer’s big-screen “Amazing Spider-Man” feature film. Written by Dan Slott and with art by Giuseppe Camuncoli, the story, out this June, will also feature variant covers by J. Scott Campbell, Shane Davis, Matt Clark and Adam Kubert.
Amazing Spider-Man #688 pencil art by Giuseppe Camuncoli

“We've had funny stories, crime stories, team-up stories, summer blockbuster stories, personal stories—this time, we're going for horror,” reports Slott. “This summer we're giving you a chiller; we're going from wall-crawling to skin crawling.”

The writer intends to weave that horror into “No Going Back” by using The Lizard to his fullest potential and building upon previous developments with the character by Zeb Wells.

“In Zeb's “Shed” [story], The Lizard won his inner-battle against Curt Connors,” Slott reminds readers. “Curt Connors is dead. Curt Connors is no more. The Lizard is all that remains. When The Lizard killed Curt's son, Billy, there was nothing more for Curt Connors to lose. It's all gone. He's lost his wife, his son, his humanity, his soul. From that moment, there was ‘no going back.’ Or is there?

“The Lizard is a vile, despicable creature that killed a child—someone Spidey cared about. This is a monster that should not be allowed to run free. This needs to be dealt with. And maybe, just maybe, despite Peter Parker's personal vow that ‘No One Dies,’ maybe this is a creature that needs to be put down.”

Spidey will be coming off “Ends of the Earth” and into “No Going Back” with some baggage, a situation that impacts his outlook towards The Lizard, one of his oldest foes.

“Without spoiling things, after a major development in ‘Ends of the Earth,’ Spider-Man is going to be acting very differently,” says Slott. “So when ‘No Going Back’ starts, Spidey's priorities have changed. Spider-Island was about trying to save New York. ‘Ends of the Earth’ is about trying to save the world. ‘No Going Back’ will be about characters trying to save themselves.

“Lives are at risk. Ethics are at risk. Character's humanity is at risk. And the stakes are high for everyone. And if you want to know more you gotta read the book!”

Morbius the Living Vampire also figures prominently in “No Going Back.” His appearance stems from his helping Reed Richards mass produce the mimetic solution that saved the day in Spider-Island.

“As we've seen in this year's Point One issue, Morbius has been working on that serum as a way to turn himself back into a human being,” Slott notes. “And we know that he'd like to use The Lizard as a test subject. Morbius thinks if he can use this to change The Lizard back into Curt Connors, maybe he'll have enough data to find his own cure.”

In all, “No Going Back” arrives at an opportune time in Spider-Man history, coinciding with a major motion picture sure to whet the appetite for more web-slinger-Lizard throw-downs.

“One of the things we're very proud of in the Spider-Man office is that our book is very accessible to new readers,” says Slott. “Even in the middle of story lines like Spider-Island you can jump in and we do a darn good job of bringing you up to speed. And that holds true with ‘No Going Back.’ If someone walks out of the theater and they've got a hunger for more Spidey they can hop right on to this story and we'll keep the excitement rolling!

“With all this Spider-Man/Lizard awareness that'll be going on this summer, selfishly speaking, I will never have a better time in my Spider-Man writing career than now. This is when I've got the best chance to roll up my sleeves and tell the best Spider-Man/Lizard story I can. That's a fun challenge to have!”

Joining Slott in that particular challenge, artist Giuseppe Camuncoli also finds himself in a position to impress readers and interested parties with his unique storytelling abilities.

“Giuseppe is great at bringing a dark edge to Spider-Man's world,” points out Slott. “There's lots of action in this story, and Cammo nails it—it's exciting! There's lots of drama and Cammo makes you feel it!

“But more than any story we've told during the Big Time run, this is the darkest one. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN is a T/T+ rated book. And we're gonna see how far we can push that.”

Can’t be at WonderCon? Follow along on the Marvel Events App & events.marvel.com, the best way to get exclusive videos, real-time announcements from the convention floor and up-to-the-minute panel, in-booth, and signing schedules of all your favorite Marvel creators!

You can also check out the latest news, photos and more at our official WonderCon hub page!

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/story/18305/wondercon_2012_amazing_spider-man#ixzz1pOoHDU50

This sounds great, nonstop too because Ends Of The Earth ends the issue right before this starts.

I'm curious what will happen in Ends of the Earth that will have Spidey reconsider his "no one dies" mantra.

Holy Helman's Mayo that's an intense cover. I'm liking the sound of this as long as it doesn't randomly make Spidey grim dark. The art is gorgeous. Seriously, look at Spidey's eyes. It's not every day you see Pete's eyes so cold and hate filled.

I'm gonna laugh if this storyline turns out to be more popular than the movie...

Aloha,
Sounds like 2012 will be the year for Spider-Man comics,movie and video game-Broadway show still bringing them in.
Spidey rules

Don't forget the new cartoon is starting on Disney XD next month, Donald.

Omg, I can't believe I'm actually saying this after OMD and BND effectively killed my love for reading Spider-Man comics...

But this actually is making me miss my favorite comic character. Spider-Island got me intrigued, Ends of the Earth sounds pretty old school Spidey-like, and now just perusing the boards feels like not enough anymore. And the Lizard has always been one of my least favorite of Spidey's villians... but, what, HUH?! He KILLED Billy?! When did that happen? God help me, I want to read Spidey comics again!!!

:wow:

Omg, I can't believe I'm actually saying this after OMD and BND effectively killed my love for reading Spider-Man comics...

But this actually is making me miss my favorite comic character. Spider-Island got me intrigued, Ends of the Earth sounds pretty old school Spidey-like, and now just perusing the boards feels like not enough anymore. And the Lizard has always been one of my least favorite of Spidey's villians... but, what, HUH?! He KILLED Billy?! When did that happen? God help me, I want to read Spidey comics again!!!

:wow:

The Lizard killed Billy in Amazing Spider-Man #631.

The Lizard turned into a psychic monster that ate Billy Connors and lost all traces of humanity?

Well they ruined Spidey with OMD/BND, why am I surprised they ruined my favorite villain?

Sigh. It's sad when I prefer Spidey in the Ultimate universe...and he's dead there. That says a lot, in my opinion.

Eh, Billy Conners sucked anyway. I'm looking forward to the Lizard arc. I'm still wondering when the hell the Hobgoblin is coming back though. It's like the opposite of the first Hobgoblin Saga, instead of too much it's too little.

I believe Hobby is set to show up in an upcoming Venom issue.

Venom #16 unlettered preview, very nice Michael Del Mundo cover that's new to me. Possible major spoilers for Phil/Hobgoblin.

The Fly spews acid on Phil's arm and he apparently loses his one arm, the Fly also bites him in the neck and he flys away in defeat while Kingpin looks disappointed.
eek.gif

Last edited:
Hm, I haven't see The Fly in a while. This could be interesting. Remender sure enjoys his monsters, maybe a few from FrankenCastle will drop by.

I'm going to make a prediction.

Slott said that Spidey's attitude towards people not dying will be changed after Ends of the Earth. The way I see it, this change would be brought about by someone close to him being killed during this arc. My money is on Silver Sable and that she gets iced by Sandman. She still want to believe that Flint is a good guy and all he cares about is getting Keemia back. Plus, Marvel has been killing off a lot of long time and forgotten characters lately. Sable fits the bill.

That or a bunch of civilians get killed by Ock's plan.

My two cents.

Remender had the Fly appear briefly in an early issue of Venom as well... issue #3 or #4.... I can't remember... :o

:yay:

This does definitely sound interesting. I dig that Camuncoli is going to be doing the artwork for the artwork and that cover he did is FANTASTIC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"