The MMA Thread

Johnny Blaze

Freethinker
Reaction score
Didn't see one in my search, so I figured I'd find out how many fans of Mixed Martial Arts fighting are on the Hype.
Consider this thread a place to discuss the entire MMA sport in general, not just for UFC. :up:

To start things off...who caught UFC 71 last night?

There were some pretty good matches, the Parisyan/Burkman fight probably being my favorite.

Hearing Houston Alexander's interview after he beat the **** out of Keith Jardine was funny. Telling all the boxers who were running their mouths to step up and fight him was great. :up:

The big rematch between Lidell and Jackson was shorter than I expected it'd be. I did think Jackson would beat him, but I thought it'd go into the second round at least. But that hook just knocked Chuck for enough of a loop to give Rampage the chance to get on him and finish it.

I was pretty much in a pro-Lidell room during the event and was the only one who predicted Rampage's victory.
Even though I do like Lidell, it was pretty fun talking smack afterwards. :D

So, to those who saw the PPV, what are your thoughts on it?
What was your favorite fight of the evening?
What did you think about the main event?
What are your thoughts about the new Champ's next opponent, Dan Henderson?

bruce01c.jpg

My favortie fight was the Parisyan/Burkman fight. Berkman showed alot of heart in that fight but in the end Karo was just too much. I thought he had the fight after the first round.

The Houston Alexander was the best beat down. After he got knocked down he just unleashed on that guy. It was awesome and his smack talk was great.

Chuck, after he threw that jab didnt put his arm up and that really did cost him. :( From the sound of it, it look like he knew the mistake he made.

Din's dance after he beat the 21 yr old was the best moment of the night. :D his interview after the fight was funny too.

Heh, I thought it was great that Din came out dancing to Michael Jackson. That was freakin' hilarious. :D

As for Chuck, it just seemed like he was a bit too cautious in his game plan. Almost as if he wanted to wait for Rampage to strike and then try and counter instead of taking the initiative himself.
Least that's what it seemed like to me.

Either way I expect Chuck to go balls to the wall if there's ever a Jackson/Lidell III.

But, that's if he doesn't try and jump up a weight class. I know he's said before that he wants to fight Mirko Cro Cop and Fedor Emelianenko before he's finished.

I did not expect that Liddell/Rampage match to be so quick. What the hell was Chuck thinking with a body punch? He had the reach advantage, I'd be dropping bombs in Rampages face and then backing off. Chuck, your the counter-puncher, what the hell happened?

But yeah, the highlight fight was Pariysan and Burkman. You guys see that beautiful Jiu-Jitsu throw? That was awesome.

The Alexander/Jardine fight was also awesome. Everybody thought Jardine was going to get the KO in the beginning but the little guy just bounced back and laid him out.

What you guys think about that Henderson/Rampage fight? I'm putting my money on Henderson. But that sure is going to be a good match.

What you guys think about that Henderson/Rampage fight? I'm putting my money on Henderson. But that sure is going to be a good match.

Not sure, I am taking Jackson with this one. Rampage is incredibly strong, seen in him literally picking up and slamming a 205+ man in Ricardo Arona with nothing more than his back. His only weakness has been against people who are good in the clinch, ie guys with Muay Thai backgrounds like Silva and Rua. He has also shown to have an incredible chin in the amount of knees he took to the noggin' when he fought Silva those two times. That and his demolishing of Randleman, a powerful wrestler, tells me he will weather Dan's punches and eventually power through and get his in and maybe even slam Dan into oblivion. Dan is a light Light Heavyweight too, more of a natural Middleweight.

I haven't really seen any fights featuring Henderson, so I have to watch some fights before I can really comment on it.

But, I do know that Rampage is a beast. From what I've seen, pound for pound, he's one of the best slammers in MMA. Not to mention his great hands and a solid takedown defense. Couple that with Jackson's tenacity and he's definitely a force to be reckoned with.

But, that's if he doesn't try and jump up a weight class. I know he's said before that he wants to fight Mirko Cro Cop and Fedor Emelianenko before he's finished.

Fedor would murder Chuck. And by murder I mean kill. And by kill I mean Chuck would be dead. And by dead I mean no longer living.

jag

It was just more proof that the boxing skills of the MMA exponents would really not be effective against a top pro boxer. It's that simple. If you gave a top pro boxer sufficient training in stand up defence etc. He would own MMA fighters.

I also loved seeing Judo used by Parisean, it's fascinating how top exponents of a particular discipline make it work. His boxing is great as well.

Fedor would murder Chuck. And by murder I mean kill. And by kill I mean Chuck would be dead. And by dead I mean no longer living.

jag

I whole-heartedly agree. Fedor's an engine of destruction that would demolish Lidell. Pretty much every opponent I've seen Fedor fight has been murdered. Whether it's standup (Zulu), the ground and pound (Goodridge), or a submission (Randleman), or even going the distance (Sobral) Fedor's beaten down some of the best.

There's only two people I've seen give Fedor a good fight were Mark Hunt and Mirko Cro Cop. Hunt he ended up submitting via a reverse armbar (if I remember right), and the Cro Cop fight was probably one of the best MMA fights ever with Fedor winning by unanimous dicision.
What's funny about it is that both fighters said they weren't 100% either. Cro Cop said his conditioning wasn't up to par, and Fedor was fighting with a busted right handed that needed surgery.

I'd love to see Fedor go take on some of the UFC heavyweights. An Arlovski/Fedor fight would be a dream matchup, and I'd love to see a Cro Cop rematch.

I whole-heartedly agree. Fedor's an engine of destruction that would demolish Lidell. Pretty much every opponent I've seen Fedor fight has been murdered. Whether it's standup (Zulu), the ground and pound (Goodridge), or a submission (Randleman), or even going the distance (Sobral) Fedor's beaten down some of the best.

There's only two people I've seen give Fedor a good fight were Mark Hunt and Mirko Cro Cop. Hunt he ended up submitting via a reverse armbar (if I remember right), and the Cro Cop fight was probably one of the best MMA fights ever with Fedor winning by unanimous dicision.
What's funny about it is that both fighters said they weren't 100% either. Cro Cop said his conditioning wasn't up to par, and Fedor was fighting with a busted right handed that needed surgery.

I'd love to see Fedor go take on some of the UFC heavyweights. An Arlovski/Fedor fight would be a dream matchup, and I'd love to see a Cro Cop rematch.

I think Cro-Cop is done after that Coutur match he lost. I don't know if he'll come back to the scene or not after that, especially knowing that he wants to go back to really being a cop in Croatia.

What I would REALLY like to see is Shogun beef up a bit and see him and Fedor really go at it like the animals they are. THAT would be a hell of a fight.

jag

I think Cro-Cop is done after that Coutur match he lost. I don't know if he'll come back to the scene or not after that, especially knowing that he wants to go back to really being a cop in Croatia.

What I would REALLY like to see is Shogun beef up a bit and see him and Fedor really go at it like the animals they are. THAT would be a hell of a fight.

jag

Well, with Rua recently signing a UFC contract, and with the UFC/Pride deal rumored to be pretty much finalized you may get your wish.

Well, with Rua recently signing a UFC contract, and with the UFC/Pride deal rumored to be pretty much finalized you may get your wish.

I know. It makes me all giddy. *squeals like an eight year old girl*

jag

I think you mean Gonzaga.

Mirko is coming back, he still has 4 fights left on his contract, he has stated recently he will come back, win the UFC heavyweight belt then retire. Hopefully that means he'll actually come to fight and not appear menacing and too good for the UFC.

I think you mean Gonzaga.

Mirko is coming back, he still has 4 fights left on his contract, he has stated recently he will come back, win the UFC heavyweight belt then retire. Hopefully that means he'll actually come to fight and not appear menacing and too good for the UFC.

Ahh, yes. Gonzaga. I don't know why I had Couture's name stuck in my head. I even watched that Gonzaga/Mirko fight. Must be onset Alzheimer's. I hope Mirko does come back. He's a great fighter when he's on his game. Gonzaga came loaded for bear in that fight and had definitely done his homework. He's another one to watch as I think he's going to do some big things in his career.

jag

Mirko is currently schedule to fight at UFC 75 on September 8th in England. No opponent has been named as of yet.

Hopefully they'd put him up against Tim Silvia, if they want to get him back on track toward a title shot. Whoever wins that fight, fights the winner of the Gonzaga/Couture fight (when is that scheduled btw).

Hopefully they'd put him up against Tim Silvia, if they want to get him back on track toward a title shot. Whoever wins that fight, fights the winner of the Gonzaga/Couture fight (when is that scheduled btw).

or even Andre Arlovski, Fabricio Werdum, Brandon Vera, Heath Herring, Rodrigo Noguiera . .

I didn't see the fight last night but am a big MMA fan. I'm glad rampage one. I've always felt Lidell was just a one hit wonder, so to speak. He has no ground game from what i've seen, and displays limited kick-boxing abilitiy. He just relies on his heavy hands. The reason Rampage beat him in Pride, was because he took him down to the ground and pounded him out...like i said, no ground game.

Did Rampage take him to the ground last night?

or even Andre Arlovski, Fabricio Werdum, Brandon Vera, Heath Herring, Rodrigo Noguiera . .

Btw, Heath Herring did PATHETIC in his last UFC fight...it was embarrassing.

Personally, I think Cro Cop should fight Arlovski. But, that's mainly because I'm a fan of The Pit Bull.
Either way I don't think he should get a title shot if he wins his next match. He should at least have to win one more, IMO, to challenge for the right to fight the Champ.

As for the Gonzaga/Couture fight it's scheduled for UFC 74 on August 25.

I didn't see the fight last night but am a big MMA fan. I'm glad rampage one. I've always felt Lidell was just a one hit wonder, so to speak. He has no ground game from what i've seen, and displays limited kick-boxing abilitiy. He just relies on his heavy hands. The reason Rampage beat him in Pride, was because he took him down to the ground and pounded him out...like i said, no ground game.

Did Rampage take him to the ground last night?

He didn't slam him, but he dropped him with a solid punch. Lidell was dazed and Rampage jumped on him and landed a few more blows. Lidell went out and then the ref stopped the fight.

Personally, I think Cro Cop should fight Arlovski. But, that's mainly because I'm a fan of The Pit Bull.
Either way I don't think he should get a title shot if he wins his next match. He should at least have to win one more, IMO, to challenge for the right to fight the Champ.

As for the Gonzaga/Couture fight it's scheduled for UFC 74 on August 25.

That last Arlovski fight where he fought the Brazilian jiu-jitsu guy was a giant yawn fest. I was expecting Arlovski to just rip that guy's face off but he fought a really tame fight.

jag

Btw, Heath Herring did PATHETIC in his last UFC fight...it was embarrassing.

So far the three Pride heavies brought over have been dissapointments, First Herring, then Werdum, then CroCop. Minotauro will change that, now they just need to concentrate and get Hunt, Barnett and maybe even Fedor! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"