The Next Grand Theft Auto...

Reaction score
I didn't play the first or second one, but I have played each major game that has come out since. It's quite obvious that Rockstar generally have one pretty popular movie that they have based each game off of...

Grand Theft Auto III had inspiration from The Godfather.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City had over-the-top Scarface influences

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas drew a lot of its material from Boyz n the Hood.

Now, with Grand Theft Auto IV, it centers more on itself, but there are some Heat references.

So it leaves me to wonder, what will Grand Theft Auto V be based off of?

I know there's plenty of movies out there, even new ones, to draw inspiration from. The Departed, No Country for Old Men (haven't seen it yet, but I know it's a crime thriller), Reservoir Dogs. Who knows?

I started to wonder, though... With the massively popular success of The Dark Knight, what if they took influence from that? You play an oddball of a low-time criminal who works his way up through the ranks, and you and your band of nuthouse-breakouts take over the city? Either that, or they play your character off more like a moral-bending vigilante (like a cross between Batman and The Punisher) to take down the city's corruption and freakish mobsters, and claim it for yourself (and the morality would play an even bigger role than it did in GTA IV).

Just thought I'd throw it out there. What do you all think? I know, it's early to be thinking about GTA V, as they're just about to release DLC for GTA IV now, but I've been thinking about this and wanted to see what everyone else thought.

If they wanted to make a TDK game they would buy their licience off of EA or what ever company has the rights to the Batman movie game's.

I don't really see a movie influence on GTA4. Your Heat reference is a stretch, the GTA3 series obviously was based off movies, but 4 was a fairly original story. Also I doubt we'll see 5 anytime soon, hopefully they'll explore new cities like Vice City and San Andreas did. I think a GTA set in Chicago would be great.

I'm sure there's a movie reference somewhere, but I'd like to see it follow an undercover cop. You have to work you way up the ranks of a dangerous crime syndicate, and along the way you have to make choices. Maybe occasionally have to meet up with cops and decide if you want to tell them what you've learned, which in turn could hurt criminal friends you've met in game. Or alternatively you can be faced with a scenario where you're asked to shoot a cop friend, and that choice affects the ending.

You can of course still jack cars, sleep with hookers, whatever else. It would just all add to a question of how far do you go, and do you keep doing your job as a cop or go full in on being a criminal.

Maybe not quite what you were asking, but it's what I'd like to see. Tho I've only played 4, so not sure if a similar idea has been done before.

For starters, I'm only saying loosely referencing The Dark Knight. I wouldn't want it to be Batman or Joker, so no licensing would need to be dished out.

Second, I also stated that I know that IV had the most original story, but had SMALL references to Heat, especially the bank robbery mission with the McCreary brothers. Hardly a stretch, as I said exactly what you did.

I'd want an original story and characters and all, but each game always has nods one way or another to really popular crime dramas. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see a courtroom scene shootout sometime soon like in Boondock Saints.

I think for GTA5, they can either use the Chicago mobster inspiration and set the game in a fictional Chicago city, or set it in Tokyo and use Yakuza as the mob that you play as.

I want a woman to be the main character. I think it would add a fresh perspective for the series.

There are lots of pop refrences in grand theft not just those specific movies.

[YT]mWVxcQhYyZ8[/YT]

[YT]Hu3GmRQ-U9k[/YT]

I want a woman to be the main character. I think it would add a fresh perspective for the series.

I think a female would be a hard sell in the GTA world. I mean i have no doubt that Rockstar could create something interesting tho

I think a female would be a hard sell in the GTA world. I mean i have no doubt that Rockstar could create something interesting tho

I don't see why it would be a hard sell. The bad 'guy' of GTA3 was a woman, and we've seen plenty of women in gang involved roles throughout the series. I think playing a hooker would be the perfect turn around for the games, they are such an important part of the GTA world it's only right we see things from their angle one time, It would get **** from the media though.

Hooker who kills her pimp then takes over the business and has to deal with the rest of the violent underground etc.. I'd also like a main character to be a corrupt cop one time.

I just want new perspectives on the activities we've been doing in the past 6 games. I'm very glad they stopped the "Low level guy works his way up the organized crime ladder" streak with GTAIV, I hope they continue to mix things up.

Last edited:
Eh...maybe I'm being sexist, but I have a really hard time imagining a woman running around doing all the shooting and killing that male game characters do.

I don't see why it would be a hard sell. The bad 'guy' of GTA3 was a woman, and we've seen plenty of women in gang involved roles throughout the series. I think playing a hooker would be the perfect turn around for the games, they are such an important part of the GTA world it's only right we see things from their angle one time, It would get **** from the media though.

Hooker who kills her pimp then takes over the business and has to deal with the rest of the violent underground etc.. I'd also like a main character to be a corrupt cop one time.

I just want new perspectives on the activities we've been doing in the past 6 games. I'm very glad they stopped the "Low level guy works his way up the organized crime ladder" streak with GTAIV, I hope they continue to mix things up.

I like your idea of playing a corrupt cop. How about taking the inspiration from the movie "The Departed", only that you play the mold in the police department and work for the mob, all the while climbing the ladder and eventually become a police commissioner? I think it could be an exciting idea and make GTA series fresh again, although it might be hard to justify jacking vehicles as a police.

i could easily seeing a girl as the main character in gta...especially if she was bi-sexual...nerds would eat that up

I know there is The Godfather game and I don't know if it would work as well as a modern day setting but I thought a GTA set in the 30s/40s/Bonnie and Clyde era could be pretty cool..

And on a similar note I've always thought that Rockstar would make one hell of a game with a GTA style (open world, mission based, gritty violence) Wild West/Cowboy set game. Riding you horse round an big open world, visiting brothels, dueling sheriffs, robbing trains.. That is something I think they would do really well and would like to see.

I know there is The Godfather game and I don't know if it would work as well as a modern day setting but I thought a GTA set in the 30s/40s/Bonnie and Clyde era could be pretty cool..

And on a similar note I've always thought that Rockstar would make one hell of a game with a GTA style (open world, mission based, gritty violence) Wild West/Cowboy set game. Riding you horse round an big open world, visiting brothels, dueling sheriffs, robbing trains.. That is something I think they would do really well and would like to see.

1.jpg

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/

Yup, It's not made by Rockstar North so there's a chance that it won't be as well made as GTA, but it has potential with the new RAGE engine and hopefully it will use Euphoria.

Considering that RAGE is what GTA IV runs on, Red Dead Redemption could very well be the next "Wild West GTA". I never tried Red Dead Revolver though.

Still Rockstar though, so I got faith!

Considering that RAGE is what GTA IV runs on, Red Dead Redemption could very well be the next "Wild West GTA". I never tried Red Dead Revolver though.

Still Rockstar though, so I got faith!

The RAGE engine is one thing, but I think Natural Motion/Euphoria is what really pushed GTAIV to a new level. The weight and movement of all the characters/vehicles, Niko especially, is fantastic.

RAGE will help the game look good, which it already does. I just hope they aren't going to take a step back character animation wise.

ah right cool, I didn't even know about red dead revolver, nevermind the sequel so thanks, will have to keep an eye of the development of this. Was Revolver good?

Red Dead Revolver was pretty good.

If you want a taste of an open world western game you should definitely check out GUN. It's not a particularly great game, but personally I loved it. It's a fun little ride and now you can get it for a very low price.

When they do make the second one i hope the city is smaller, I might be the minority here but Lib City's size was kinda annoying.

When they do make the second one i hope the city is smaller, I might be the minority here but Lib City's size was kinda annoying.

Turn in your Gamer card....right now:cmad:

Id go for a Tokyo setting or even a detailed Las Vegas.....

I'd like more weather in the game.

Snow, ice, hail, windy, leaves changing color

I can almost assure you the city wont be smaller. If anything itll be the same size with more detail, but it wont be smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"