The Official Metroid Thread

NEWS[WATCH] Metroid: Samus Returns shows off 15 minutes of Spider Ball and Boss Gameplay Today at 6:29 pm

Among all of the heavy hitters you expected to see from Nintendo at E3 2017, the surprise game that quickly took...Read more

Try not to break your 3DS.

Among all of the heavy hitters you expected to see from Nintendo at E3 2017, the surprise game that quickly took over Nintendo's E3 coverage was easily Metroid: Samus Returns. While it may not be in the same ballpark as the anticipation behind Metroid Prime 4, we at least got to see a ton of Samus Returns in action at the show. The game's promotion has continued into San Diego Comic Con 2017, as IGN got a 15-minute walkthrough on a few sections of the game.[/FONT]
Here's the video:[

[YT]zF7wMV-2HDo[/YT]
The things that stand out here are the Spider Ball ability, which allows the player to scale walls with ease, but can come with a few challenges itself. As you can see, Samus Returns has enemies placed on the walls as well as on the ground, which comes with a timed detonation, and getting an enemy to pursue you activates the count down.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The other thing of note is the mini boss battles, which shows off just how much this game will kick your butt. With all of the pre-recorded and planned gameplay demos we tend to see, Nintendo has made a concerted effort to show off players dying in battle. It may not be the sexiest of outcomes, but it is definitely representative of the product they are putting out, and it can be pretty tense to watch.
Metroid: Samus Returns releases exclusively on Nintendo 3DS on September 15th, 2017.[/FONT]

Source: [IGN]

source: Gamezone.

Last edited:

Two articles same place

Nintendo Reveals Metroid: Samus Returns amiibo Details. July 25, 2017 . 10:00am

In Metroid: Samus Returns, the four compatible amiibo each unlock one immediate bonus and one reward that is only accessible after beating the game.

9 comments Read >

Metroid: Samus Returns is going to be compatible with four amiibo. People can use the two Super Smash Bros Samus figures, as well as the two specifically made for Metroid: Samus Returns. Now, thanks to Nintendo’s Japanese website, we know what each figure will do when scanned into the game. Each of the amiibos will unlock one immediate bonus in Metroid: Samus Return, as well as one reward you can access after beating the game once.

The standard Samus amiibo, from the Super Smash Bros. line, will give a Missile Reserve Tank that will automatically refill your missiles once when it runs out as you are playing. After you beat the game, it adds concept art to the Gallery.

The Zero Suit Samus Super Smash Bros. amiibo will grant an Energy Reserve Tank that will restore your health once automatically if it hits zero while playing. It also adds a sound test to the Gallery after you beat the game.

The Metroid: Samus Returns Samus amiibo gives players a Aeon Reserve Tank that will restore Aeon once if it runs out while you are playing. Once you beat the game, Metroid II art appears in the Gallery thanks to this figure.

Finally, the Metroid amiibo unlocks a Metroid Marker that shows you the next one closest to Samus in-game. Once you beat the game, it unlocks a Fusion difficulty level that starts Samus off in the Fusion suit and is supposedly more challenging.

Metroid: Samus Returns will come to the Nintendo 3DS on September 15, 2017.

Also with

Metroid: Samus Returns Pre-Orders At GameStop Will Get You A Samus Keychain. July 26, 2017 . 8:30am

Those who pre-order the 3DS-exclusive Metroid: Samus Returns at GameStop will be able to get a special goodie in the form of a free Samus keychain.

4 comments Read >

Those who pre-order the 3DS-exclusive Metroid: Samus Returns at GameStop will be able to get a special goodie in the form of a free Samus keychain. Additionally, the offer applies to both the standard version and Legacy Edition of the game.

To pre-order a copy of Samus Returns, you can visit GameStop’s online store here.

Metroid: Samus Returns will release for the Nintendo 3DS on September 15th, 2017.

source: Siliconera

Last edited:

3DS
New 3DS XL ‘Samus Edition’ launches September 15[
Published 19 hours ago. 51 comments.
Due out alongside Metroid: Samus Returns.
Nintendo has announced a “Samus Edition” New 3DS XL. It will launch alongside Metroid: Samus Returns at select retailers on September 15 for $199 in North America, Europe, and Japan. It will not include a copy of the game.

Metroid: Samus Returns, which was announced at E3 2017, is a reimagining of Metroid II: Return of Samus featuring 3D graphics, new moves and abilities, and more.
Thanks, IGN.

source: Gematsu

Last edited:

3DS

Metroid: Samus Returns overview trailer
Published 4 hours ago. 9 comments.
Metroid II reimagining due out on September 15.

Metroid-Samus-Returns_08-24-17.jpg
Nintendo has released a four-minute overview trailer for Metroid: Samus Returns.

The trailer introduces Samus Aran and her abilities, as well as the game’s Amiibo functionality.

The MercurySteam-developed game is a reimagining of Metroid II: Return of Samusfeaturing a “wealth” of new content, including a set of new abilities, a powerful melee counterattack, and a 360-degree “Free Aim Mode.”

Metroid: Samus Returns will launch for 3DS on September 15.

Watch the trailer below.
[YT]UOrkRW2NPQ8[/YT]

source: Gematsu

Last edited:

Metroid Producer Sakamoto Says He Has Wanted To Make A 2D Metroid Game For A Long Time. September 5, 2017 . 8:30am

In a recent interview, Metroid producer Yoshio Sakamoto reflected back on his work with the original Metroid game and spoke of how he’s wanted to create a 2D Metroid game for a while.

22 comments Read >

Metroid: Samus Returns is due out for the 3DS in less than two weeks, and Game Informer recently sat down with producer Yoshio Sakamoto to discuss his work with the franchise since the beginning. Originally, Sakamoto wasn’t even a part of the first Metroid’s team, but got assigned the project after they encountered some problems.

Sakamoto reflected on his experience with the original Metroid, saying the following:
“My boss told me that the Metroid team was having a very hard time, and as someone who had experience on building video game projects could I go and somehow help this game progress to release? In short, I was forcefully asked to participate. By his tone, I really smelled danger. And as I joined the project and looked around, I realized that the release date was right around the corner but the project had nothing there. Even with our limited resources and time, I figured out how we could leverage the existing components of the game to create variation and an exciting experience.”
“Metroid was one of my first experiences on a pretty big video game project, but I wasn’t sure if players would enjoy the game. I thought that it was a special game, and even then, I believed that it could be a special franchise, something that I would like to continue. Through the development of Metroid 1, I really grasped the possibilities and potential of a video game.”

In regards to Samus Returns, Sakamoto has been wanting to work on a 2D Metroid for a while, as he went on to explain.
“I have been wanting to make a 2D Metroid game for four or five years. Compared to the rest of the Metroid franchise, Metroid II has a unique game design and its characteristics really stand out. I didn’t make the original, but I have huge respect for the original game. It tells the story of an important event in the Metroid series, which is Samus meeting the big Metroid, so I wanted players to have the opportunity to experience this very important event in the franchise.”

You can read the rest of the interview with Sakamoto here.

Metroid: Samus Returns will release for the Nintendo 3DS on September 15th, 2017.

Metroid II Wasn’t MercurySteam’s First Choice To Remake Out Of The Metroid Games. September 10, 2017 . 1:30pm

When MercurySteam originally approached Nintendo with the idea of remaking a Metroid game, they initially wanted to remake Metroid: Fusion.

49 comments Read >

Next week marks the release of Metroid: Samus Returns, Nintendo and MercurySteam’s remake of the original GameBoy title Metroid II: Return of Samus. However, Metroid II initially wasn’t the Metroid game that MercurySteam approached Nintendo with to remake.

Game Informer found out that MercurySteam originally wanted to remake Metroid: Fusion. Metroid producer Yoshio Sakamoto was impressed with the idea pitch, however, he ultimately decided on remaking Metroid II, noting that he wished more people had played the original on GameBoy given that it introduced many of the series’ popular features such as the Spider Ball, Space Jump, and Plasma Beam.

To read more, you can go here.

Two video reviews & two written

Metroid: Samus Returns - Easy Allies Review

24K views17 hours ago
Metroid: Samus Returns reminds us how wonderful the legendary bounty hunter can be at her best. Written by Ben Moore Video Edited by Ian Hinck Reviewed on Ne...

Also with

hqdefault.jpg

]

Metroid: Samus Returns Review - Reviews on the Run - Electric Playground
1.5K views17 hours agoPublished on 09/12/2017

[FONT=Roboto !important]Vic and John join forces to review Metroid: Samus Returns. Is this the game that will have Switch owners dusting off their 3DS? Find out in their review! Hypnothis by Kevin

also fallowing that

lastly

safe_image.php

Metroid: Samus Returns review September 12, 2017

Samus’ return is a strong reminder Metroid still works.Read more

Source:Easy Allies,EPN.tv, GI&EGMnow

Last edited:
I've only played it for about 45min, but so far it feels great. I'm still getting used to the melee attack, as that's a new move for Samus, but overall, the game plays great. And the graphics looks great on the 3DS. Everybody who said the 3D looks good, was telling the truth. The backgrounds really pop in 3D.

Can't wait t play more this weekend when I have some free time.

Does having to use the circle pad hinder the experience?

would you say Samus Returns is reason alone to get a 3DS or 2DS?

Does having to use the circle pad hinder the experience?
No. Metroid has never been a twitch based game, so the circle pad feels fine.

would you say Samus Returns is reason alone to get a 3DS or 2DS?
If you're a huge Metorid fan, sure. But if you're not that into it, than I don't know what to tell you? I still think the 3DS is my favorite Nintendo system ever made(the Switch could easily take its place in a year). It has a huge library of amazing games, it's pretty cheap, and is highly portable. There's plenty of great games to play besides Metroid, but again, if you're a fan of 2D Metroid, I would say it's worth it.

No. Metroid has never been a twitch based game, so the circle pad feels fine.

If you're a huge Metorid fan, sure. But if you're not that into it, than I don't know what to tell you? I still think the 3DS is my favorite Nintendo system ever made(the Switch could easily take its place in a year). It has a huge library of amazing games, it's pretty cheap, and is highly portable. There's plenty of great games to play besides Metroid, but again, if you're a fan of 2D Metroid, I would say it's worth it.

thanks.

there are several games on the 3DS that I'm interested in, but maybe after another price drop or really good Holiday sale or something.

also, still waiting if VC comes to the Switch. if it's not any time soon, then maybe I'll pick up the 3DS just for the VC.

you can play NES/SNES VC titles on the Switch, yes?

Metroid: Samus Returns Will Be Part Of The Nintendo World Championships 2017 . September 27, 2017 . 9:00am

Metroid: Samus Returns will be at the Nintendo World Championships 2017, as will the WWE’s Bayley and actor Asa Butterfield.

3 comments Read >

The Nintendo World Championships 2017 are next Saturday. With the event being so close, Nintendo is revealing details about who we can expect to see there and which games are going to be played. To start, Metroid: Samus Returns is going to leave its mark on this year’s tournament. It is one of the games the 16 qualifiers and 8 invited players will play during the event.

In addition, the names of the Nintendo World Championships 2017 participants have been revealed. Andrea Rene and Jordan Kent will be acting as announcers.

Here is the list of invited attendees, which includes professional gamers, an actor, and a WWE Superstar:

• 360Chrism
  • Asa Butterfield (Hugo, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, Ender’s Game)
  • Bayley (WWE Superstar)
  • PasteCat
  • tubooron
  • WhySoSara
  • Yellowkillerbee
  • Zerk

The 12 and younger qualifiers include:

• Abe E. from Chicago
  • Bowser16 from New York
  • Gooperman from Seattle
  • Kid Ocelot from Minneapolis
  • Marco R. from the Bay Area
  • Pico from Dallas
  • Sunny K. from Los Angeles
  • Wyatt A. from Seattle

The 13 and older qualifiers include:

• John Numbers (Nintendo World Championships 2015 champion)
  • Cole G. from the Bay Area
  • Jeff B. from Chicago
  • Kyle H. from Seattle
  • Ito from Los Angeles
  • Myth from Seattle
  • Staggah from Minneapolis
  • SuperFX from Dallas
[YT]Hzhoho-35-o[/YT]

Metroid: Samus Returns is available for the Nintendo 3DS. The Nintendo World Championships 2017 will be streamed at 2pm PT/4pm CT/5pm ET on October 7, 2017 via the official website.

hqdefault.jpg
[​

METROID - Space and Time - The History of Metroid - EP Documentary

2.5K views5 days ago Published on 09/25/2017

Space and Time - The History of Metroid was produced in partnership with EP's sponsor, Nintendo. Along with a lot of detail about the brand new Metroid: Samus Returns for the 3DS, Space and Time provides an expedient exploration of one of the most influential game series of all time. The mini-doc also features some great observations from Nintendo's Bill Trinen and Andrew Collins, as well as Kinda Funny's Greg Miller, Epic Games' Nick Chester, Mega64's Rocco Botte and Axiom Verge creator, Tom Happ! Enjoy!

source: EPN.tv

Last edited:
Bandai Namco maybe working on Metroid Prime 4.

Yeah, and some of the rumored staff are those that worked on Star Wars 1313.

Bandai Namco Confirmed to be Working on Metroid Prime 4

3248266-3247916-3247868-promo-metroidprime4.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-08-yes-namco-bandai-is-working-on-metroid-prime-4

Internet rumours this week pegged Bandai Namco as being the mystery studio behind Metroid Prime 4 - something multiple sources have now confirmed to Eurogamer as being accurate.
Specifically, the highly-anticipated Nintendo Switch exclusive is being developed by Bandai Namco Studios Singapore, which we understand is lead studio on the game in collaboration with Nintendo.
This studio houses some former LucasArts Singapore staff who previously worked on, among other things, the ambitious cancelled Star Wars 1313.
Metroid Prime 4 was briefly announced via a logo shown during Nintendo's E3 2017 broadcast. During a media pre-briefing, journalists asked Nintendo exactly who was behind the game. Nintendo declined to reply, except to say that Retro Studios, which created the original Metroid Prime Trilogy, was not behind the project.
Since then, speculation has been rife over who was working on Metroid Prime 4, but nothing more has been announced about the game since.
It is still relatively early in the game's development - there's no suggestion Prime 4 will launch this year (which, perhaps, might just leave room for a port of the Metroid Prime Trilogy compilation to get Switch owners up to speed on the story so far).

This week, fans began joining the dots after various teasing job descriptions were spotted on LinkedIn. Rumours began appearing on forums like Resetera and were then widely reported elsewhere.
In particular, Press-Start noted how Bandai Namco Studios Singapore staff members had not tried very hard to conceal they were working on something exciting.
Looking through their profiles, I saw staff saying they are working on a "secret" game, an "ambitious AAA title", a "very interesting unannounced project" and a game which will see "more exciting details" announced "soon (or later)!"

One staff member in particular, a lead designer, described themselves as working on an "unannounced IP (first person shooter/adventure exclusive to the Nintendo Switch)". This staff member also listed themselves as overseeing work on an exclusive Ridge Racer 8 for Switch, too - something Eurogamer has yet to also verify.
Namco is, of course, no stranger to working with Nintendo on the latter's biggest franchises. It developed Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U, as well as Pokémon spin-off Pokkén Tournament for Wii U and Switch.
When contacted, a Nintendo spokesperson told Eurogamer it did not comment on rumour or speculation.
I spoke with Metroid Prime series producer Kensuke Tanabe back in 2015 about his ideas for a fourth Metroid Prime game - including which story arcs and characters from the original trilogy might crop again, and which he now considered concluded.

Yeah, that is highly disappointing. But, better to avoid another Federation Force or Other M fiasco. Glad Retro is back on board. But definitely not seeing it before 2021.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"