The Official Punisher by Rick Remender / Punisher MAX thread

bryanss3

Summerholidays
Reaction score
I don't see a punisher thread on here at all. so I'm making one. I've really started to like this character over the past few months and been reading a lot of trades I'm still catching up on a lot of the MAX stuff but the new Rick Remender ongoing is really fun. so far Frank has gone up against Sentry and outsmarted him and in the next issue #3 he's taking on the Hood. everyone's favorite.. guy with a hood?

Last edited:
Cool. I'm jumping on at issue # 3. Dropped Max due to the price hike.

If you are just getting into the character and want to see his more serious stuff get the first few trades of the MAX run. Especially, In The Beginning, Up is Down, Black is White and Slavers. 3 of the best arcs ever written for the Punisher.
Also some old school stuff
Circle of Blood
Return to Big Nothing

Yeah Ennis is who really got me into the character. Never cared much for the 616 Punisher but this new Remender series has caught my interest.

I almost made a new thread because I didn't see this one. Has anyone been keeping up on 6 Hours to Kill?

I just read Issue #2, and while it was better than the piece of crap that was Issue #1 it's still not up to par with previous stuff. I dunno if maybe I've just been spoiled with Ennis for the last 8 years or if it's actually bad writing and art. I thought the first post-Ennis MAX arc was alright, but this new one is ballllllls.

Anyone agree or disagree?

I politely disagree.

The current MAX arc seems so-so to me. No, it's not Ennis, but it could be far worse. Anyone remember the trainwreck that Faction wrote and that vomit-stain that Chaykin drew? Remeder's work is passable, but MAX is still, by far the best representation of Frank.

As for this arc, I'm enjoying the actual story concept. The art and the dialogue is a little iffy, but at least they're trying to stay true to the character and write a good story. I really liked the feel of the last arc, but I felt that it was hindered by the art. While the art of "Girls" wasn't bad, the layout was confusing and difficult to follow visually.

I can't believe the number of "loyal" Punisher fans who bailed on the title after Ennis's departure. Ennis was great, but he was far from perfect. The title is still solid every month and shows no real indication of taking a quality nosedive. Give the new authors/artists a chance! That said, I'd love for Larosa to come back. Yes, the title's price increase sucks, but of all the titles I've considered dropping because of it, the Punisher was never one of them. However, you do have to draw a financial line somewhere and I sympathize with those who have had to drop the title for this reason.

So, Marvel's 616 Punisher remains a decent read, while the MAX series is definitely one of Marvel's best monthly titles.

To each their own, but I'm not one of those who jumped the boat after Ennis left. I will say that I personally think Ennis' Punisher is the best his character has ever been written, especially in the MAX run, but that doesn't mean I wasn't ready to give someone else a shot.

I just thought Girls in White Dresses was closer to the Ennis run than this new arc. The art was dark and gritty, kind of like La Rossa's stuff, and the dialogue was pretty decent too. I just find this new 6 Hours to Kill arc has uninteresting dialogue and incredibly boring art, not to mention a story that's been done to death.

Ennis does deserve mad respect for reviving a character that Marvel nearly ruined in the mid-90's but there have been other great writers. Ennis was who got me into the character and his MAX work was excellent. That said, I'm a fan of the Punisher as a character, not a particular writer. But you're right, Ennis did a great job.

As for "Girls in White Dresses", the artwork did fit the character and I didn't have any problems with the dialogue. I just felt that the story fell weak after the second issue. Jigsaw seemed unnecessary and the ending felt really rushed. The fight scenes seemed really short and it ended kind of abruptly. Also, like I said before, the artwork got kind of confusing at times and I found myself studying the scene to try and figure out what was happening. I'd give the arc a 3 out of 5.

"Six Hours to Kill" has just begun, but I think it's pretty good (opinion). I have some issues with the dialogue ("Mother Russia Sucks Balls"? Is the Punisher 13 years old now?). The art could be better, but it could be much, much worse (CHAYKIN). Overall I'd give the arc a 4/5 so far.

Balthus, how is this story overdone? I'll grant you that the plot is very similar to a number of mainstream movies (cough*Crank*cough), but this hasn't really been done in the Punisher. Yeah, Frank's gone on a few suicide missions before, but the drugging is a spin. I've read every Punisher-titled issue Marvel has put out, and this arc doesn't feel overdone or repetitive IMO. But, I kind of see your point. The "Punisher Rampage" idea has been done a few times before and the story concept borrows highly from Hollywood.

You are right, though. To each his own!

I would like too say that the new Punisher series seems fresh and new and seems to be getting it right as to frank being more involved in the MU 616 universe, from just two issue's (1 and 2) Rick Remender so far is doing a great job....

and from the look of future issue's, micro seems to be back!!!

As for the MAX series, The story following Ennis's departure (Girls in white dresses issue's 61 to 65) was good , but had a slightly uneven story, and had the serious bad luck of following one of the greatest runs ever of ANY comic character.....

The new arc (six hours to kill) is only two issues in, and very good . A lot more dark humour in this tale (which suits the MAX comic i think) and a break neck pace certainly helps the story too......

Last edited:
If you are just getting into the character and want to see his more serious stuff get the first few trades of the MAX run. Especially, In The Beginning, Up is Down, Black is White and Slavers. 3 of the best arcs ever written for the Punisher.
Also some old school stuff
Circle of Blood
Return to Big Nothing
Don't forget Kitchen Irish. That was one of my favorite arcs of all time.

A shame the movie made McGinty (not sure if I'm spelling that right), and pretty much everything else Punisher related so ******ed.

I'm slowly collecting all the MAX and war journal trades. I wish this character could've got a good movie. maybe one day they'll give him an animated film.

Balthus, how is this story overdone? I'll grant you that the plot is very similar to a number of mainstream movies (cough*Crank*cough), but this hasn't really been done in the Punisher. Yeah, Frank's gone on a few suicide missions before, but the drugging is a spin. I've read every Punisher-titled issue Marvel has put out, and this arc doesn't feel overdone or repetitive IMO.

It hasn't been done in MAX before, but it's been done in tons of movies....it's just so Escape from New York or Crank esque it doesn't seem to fit with Punisher to me. I know it might sound crazy to say this but it just seems too over the top for a central story plot.

But that's not all that bothers me, like I said. The dialogue IMO is bad and the art is just boring to watch. The first issue is like 90% of the same frame over and over again just slightly changed when Frank is on that operating table. Unimaginative, if you ask me.

I thought Girls was more along MAX style. Gritty, realistic story with over the top moments thrown in like the shark attack. I laughed out loud at that moment, it was priceless. To me, 6HTK seems like the earlier Punisher arcs we saw from Jimmy Palmiotti, which I didn't care for.

with over the top moments thrown in like the shark attack. I laughed out loud at that moment, it was priceless.

Well the shark breaking threw the glass and eating the "bad guy" has been done before, its in the punisher books:

Punisher essential vol1 TPB , done almost excatly the same,

and in Vol 2 with a crocodile !!

These where not MAX comics, but still the punisher..............

I liked the Girls in White dresses storyline too, the end issue was one of the best punishers issues i had read in years, but the child shooting / set up earlier in the story did not ring true for me.....

Last edited:
I thought they handled his character well though. When I read it, I believed it was Frank. When I read 6HTK, it's almost like it's a writer trying to make me believe it's Frank.

Even if the shark thing has been done before, that was just one part of the story, not the central storyline like it is in 6HTK. Anyway I'm just sayin what I feel about it, I'm glad you guys are liking it!

Anyone here enjoying the new Remender Punisher? I usually despise 616 Frank but from what I have read this new series looks like it could make fans of both types of Punisher happy.

I thought they handled his character well though. When I read it, I believed it was Frank. When I read 6HTK, it's almost like it's a writer trying to make me believe it's Frank.
yea you do have a point.

In the new arc, because of the humour in the story i do find it can jar in regards to franks character......

But ,

i am digging it loads , and after the last arc am glad of the humour in the MAX series...........

wow. Maybe they should have just kept it The Punisher and not renamed it and now they are starting over again. I am really starting to hate Marvel and their numbering game.

Yea Aaron is one of my favorite writers but I bet the price tag will be 3.99 which is why I won't be buying it.Same thing happened with his Wolverine book.

Why the re-launch though? Why not just keep numbering the books accordingly? Christ I hate that.

I love Steve Dillon but I personally don't think his art suits the MAX Punisher at all. Hopefully they do a good job with it though.

I think they're still clingin' to the belief that #1's will bring in new readers. No continuity means easy followin'.

Why the re-launch though? Why not just keep numbering the books accordingly? Christ I hate that.

I love Steve Dillon but I personally don't think his art suits the MAX Punisher at all. Hopefully they do a good job with it though.

Agreed 100%. I've been reading Punisher MAX since its inception and this really pisses me off. It breaks up the flow of the series. The new numbering is one of Marvel's idiot ideas to draw in new readers, and it'll work for a few issues, but then sales go right back to they way they were.

I really wish Aaron's arc would start with #76. This is a stupid move on Marvel's part and it only hurts the long-time loyal readers. Also, Dillon's great but NOT for MAX. Whatever happened to Larosa?

Yeah I like Dillon but he is pretty cartoony. I wish that they would bring back Leandro Fernandez.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"