• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Amazing Spider-Man The Official Spider-Man franchise leading into Spider-Man 4 thread

Reikowolf

Hyperphotonic
Reaction score
Here's a pretty well written article regarding the spider-Man franchise going into Spider-Man 4

http://stars.ign.com/articles/944/944999p1.html

The basic rundown shows that Spider-Man's popularity was at a peak in 2004 and that momentum took it into 2007 but there have been a couple of bad moves both by Marvel and Sony that have given the franchise some major hits

1. SM3 was met with very mixed reviewes
2. ASM comic rebooted with One more Day/ Brand new Day
3. SM:WOS game was sub-par

There seems to be a lot riding on SM4. I hope Sony/Marvel and the film makers are aware of this.

There are some positive notes as they do mention how:

1. TSSM cartoon is really creating a stronger young audience for the show
2. Raimi has full control this time as he did with SM1-2
3. Now that Brand New Day is over, ASM comic story arcs are much and well developed.

I was going to try to find a thread to post this on but it seemed like its own topic.

It's true, the last 4 years or so have not been kind to Spidey.

Before the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon which began last year, Spider-Man 2 was the last really good thing to happen to Spider-Man.

Well, tbh, I've really enjoyed alot of things SPidey these past couple years, but, up until Back in Black and BND, Spidey comics were pretty bad. OMD was terrible. I also thought S-M3 was fantastic and TSSM is just a pure greatness filled show.

It's true, the last 4 years or so have not been kind to Spidey.

Before the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon which began last year, Spider-Man 2 was the last really good thing to happen to Spider-Man.
That is the sad truth.I hope Spider-man 4 recaptures the magic of the first two.I hope they make a game sometime soon that's closer to Neversoft's original Ps1 game.That Game captured all sorts of Spidey goodness.The comics well....I just think OMD should have never happened.I haven't read amazing since.Spectacular Spider-man I hope gets renewed for a third season.It's too awesome not to.

I think one of the major issues with the Spider-Man games is that they created an open ended world in SM2 game that they could not elaborate on... it was like, 'now what.'

the cineractives in the SM3 and WOS games are interesting but the issue seems to be that the great moments, the battles, are not fully there yet.

You have this huge city and as such maybe it should be utilized as something more than somewhere to find stuff in etc.

Maybe Spidey should be able to drive a car if needed.

One thing I thought would have a been a great idea would have been to make the Rhino rampage across town like in the USM game but if you could not prevent a certain % of damage, then the battle would be over and you would have to retry, more over; damage to the city would need to be reconstructed gradually. This would be an interesting way to incorporate some of the Superman Returns game dynamic as the city is part of your health in a way.

the way they have him beat up baddies is kind of lame too. Perhaps he should have to web them up and then the cops have to actually arrest them.

anyhoo. The creators have heard a lot of feedback from the fans on these games. They have a real chance with next gen capabilities to make a trully remarkable game for SM4.

I want a classic feeling spidey game.WOS doesn't count.

I'm hoping, in the near future, to see classic comic book Green Goblin in a Spidey video game.

I'm hoping, in the near future, to see classic comic book Green Goblin in a Spidey video game.

The best Spidey game idea I can come up with would be a free-roaming game based on the comics where the story allows for some flashbacks, so you can play a new story as well as classic Spidey moments.

^^ Nice! You know what would be awesome? If the game is basically a new storyline, but there are also, tokens that you find that take you back to a big scene of the SPidey comics. Sort of like in Marvel: ULtimate Alliance. Is that the type of thing you meant?

We can face the classic Goblin on Spider-Man TAS game, for SNES. So much fun.

^^ Nice! You know what would be awesome? If the game is basically a new storyline, but there are also, tokens that you find that take you back to a big scene of the SPidey comics. Sort of like in Marvel: ULtimate Alliance. Is that the type of thing you meant?

Pretty much, but I'd make them levels or missions within the game, like where the story reminds Spidey about certain instances in his past and then we get to play them out.

No one hate me for this, but I don't understand how anyone can bag on recent Spidey-related things, but then stick up for Spectacular Spider-Man. I really can't stand that show, and that's a damn shame. :(

Last edited:
Pretty much, but I'd make them levels or missions within the game, like where the story reminds Spidey about certain instances in his past and then we get to play them out.

You'd probably love the idea I've had for a Spider-Man video game for the past 2 or 3 years. I've always wanted one where you start as Peter Parker at age 15 and go through all the major events in Spider-Man's history. And have a good story cause IMO a lot of video games don't get you into the story that much. I'd want you to actually care when Gwen Stacy dies like a lot of people cared when Aeris dies in FFVII.(thats probably the only video game I ever played when I was actually upset a character died.) Also dealing with the dual identity and interacting with your supporting cast. Now with DLC I've been thinking even if you finish the main game campaign(the story missions) you could always continue the game with DLC by monthly releasing 5-10 new story missions. I hope one day they start doing something like that with DLC.

Last edited:
No one hate me for this, but I don't understand how anyone can bag on recent Spidey-related things, but then stick up for Spectacular Spider-Man. I really can't stand that show, and that's a damn shame. :(

LOL! You can't stand the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon, which practically everyone loves, but you love Spider-Man 3, which most people can't stand.

It's mind boggling :oldrazz:

Well, by time SM4 comes out all the little 5-10 year old kids who love The Spectacular Spider-Man show will be 7-12 and will be begging their parents to see the movie.

Kids love Spider-Man. He's got such an appeal. And obviously it's not just kids; I'm 22 and I love the guy. :up:

I don't think Spider-Man 4 will need any help to make money, but if they get an Obama cameo what ever ammount of money it was gonna make in its first week will be more than doubled just like the comic did. jk

Off-topic question: What's the difference between "One More Day" and "Brand New Day"? I thought they were the same thing.

OMD leads into BND.OMD changes the status quo BND is the status quo.

LOL! You can't stand the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon, which practically everyone loves, but you love Spider-Man 3, which most people can't stand.

It's mind boggling :oldrazz:

What's mind boggling is how fans will complain about changes made for Spider-Man 3 but will praise these lousy ones in SSM. I watched about...4-6 episodes of this show. I was excited when I heard we were getting a new Spider-Man cartoon. I became less excited when I heard it was WB's, who made that crappy "The Batman" cartoon...I was indifferent on the first trailer we got, and went into the show hoping to like it but just coming out disgusted. It's a show aimed for children. It's not like the 90's Spider-Man cartoon or Batman cartoon which is enjoyable for all ages (to me anyway), I find it more for a child. The things they do to the villains is sickening. Electro made from electric eels? Eel-ectro? Eddie Brock being Mr. Happyman working for Connors? Even in Ultimate Spider-Man, there was something unsettling about him to me, then he broke. This cartoon, I would expect him to be the new best bud. Don't even get me started on Venom. I lol'd at his voice because I could imagine it coming straight out of the show "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" (funny show), I can't take him seriously with that ******ed gap in between his two front teeth! :rolleyes: Is he a snake? I thought Venom was similar to a spider if anything. Why add a gap? Why does he have huge ass gorilla arms and puny legs to tie it together? Doc Ock looks stupid as well. I don't even want to know how the character designs made it into the show. I can't stand them. Peter has puppy dog eyes, everyone is anorexic (aside from Ock, Venom, and Rhino and maybe a few others), and Spider-Man's costume is lazily put together. As an artist, I watch this show and nit pick little things on the designs and how they could be better. But whatever.

Now, is the show ALL bad? Not really. The action scenes I have seen are quite nice. They use alot of fast motion, alot of blur, it works well. I think Spider-Man has a sense of humor (though some of his jokes suck), which is good.

I was at Target a couple weeks ago and saw a DVD with SSM on it, I wanted to so badly get it and be happy I got a new Spidey cartoon on DVD. But I can't get over the lousiness of the episodes I saw. All these Marvel toons are getting raped. Is Iron Man really going to be a teenager? Good Lord. :down

What's mind boggling is how fans will complain about changes made for Spider-Man 3 but will praise these lousy ones in SSM. I watched about...4-6 episodes of this show. I was excited when I heard we were getting a new Spider-Man cartoon. I became less excited when I heard it was WB's, who made that crappy "The Batman" cartoon...I was indifferent on the first trailer we got, and went into the show hoping to like it but just coming out disgusted. It's a show aimed for children. It's not like the 90's Spider-Man cartoon or Batman cartoon which is enjoyable for all ages (to me anyway), I find it more for a child. The things they do to the villains is sickening. Electro made from electric eels? Eel-ectro? Eddie Brock being Mr. Happyman working for Connors? Even in Ultimate Spider-Man, there was something unsettling about him to me, then he broke. This cartoon, I would expect him to be the new best bud. Don't even get me started on Venom. I lol'd at his voice because I could imagine it coming straight out of the show "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" (funny show), I can't take him seriously with that ******ed gap in between his two front teeth! :rolleyes: Is he a snake? I thought Venom was similar to a spider if anything. Why add a gap? Why does he have huge ass gorilla arms and puny legs to tie it together? Doc Ock looks stupid as well. I don't even want to know how the character designs made it into the show. I can't stand them. Peter has puppy dog eyes, everyone is anorexic (aside from Ock, Venom, and Rhino and maybe a few others), and Spider-Man's costume is lazily put together. As an artist, I watch this show and nit pick little things on the designs and how they could be better. But whatever.

Now, is the show ALL bad? Not really. The action scenes I have seen are quite nice. They use alot of fast motion, alot of blur, it works well. I think Spider-Man has a sense of humor (though some of his jokes suck), which is good.

I was at Target a couple weeks ago and saw a DVD with SSM on it, I wanted to so badly get it and be happy I got a new Spidey cartoon on DVD. But I can't get over the lousiness of the episodes I saw. All these Marvel toons are getting raped. Is Iron Man really going to be a teenager? Good Lord. :down

Well what you said has relevance and it would seem that this show's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness, it appeals to kids... but it's supposed to. They are the target audience. Keep in mind that MTV tried creating a series geared towards an older audience with the cgi animated series which failed.

That being said, the creators are not the same creative team for the batman series. They are actually the creators of the disney 'gorgoyles' animated series which was a lot more methodical than most people gave it credit for.

I think what attracts the older fans is the way it incorporates the silver age story lines and in its own way retcons the movie reimagining.

As you see, Doc Ock is very much like his comic counterpart where Venom's origin was a more fleshed out version of the movie with bits of USM put in. One really interesting visual twist was how the black suit began as SM3 and ended as its comic counterpart.

I see this series going 4 seasons as this seems to be the average lifespan of children's animated series that try to appeal to and older audience as well.

Maybe Spidey should be able to drive a car if needed.
Wait, what?! It's not Grand Theft Spidey. That's like saying Batman should take the bus if he has to. He has his own ride! Spidey is his own transportation. He can go faster than a car when he needs to, and go places a car can't. Your post had some good ideas, bro, this one just made me go all WTF, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"