The Official Tekken Movie Thread

no problem

Yoshimitsu's role is a non-speaking role, there is a point in time where the rules of the fights change due to the fact that Kazuya overthrew Heihachi, he orders that Tekken becomes a fight to the death, Yoshimitsu fights Jin, Yoshimitsu has the upperhand the majority of the fight, but ultimately Jin wins

Here's my quick review of it

Presentation - 8 out of 10

After watching the film, the game seems to take bits and pieces from Tekken(s) 3-6. It's mainly Jin's story from 3 with characters that appeared in 4, 5, and 6. Alot of people complained about the fact that there were not different areas where the fights take place. I didn't see a problem with it, the arena itself would change to whatever setting was selected. For the most part, the actors looked pretty close to the game counterparts with the exception of Kazuya and Miguel, he had tattoos on his wrist, a goatee, and he did not have his trademark hairstyle, didn't look bad IMO

Action - 8 out of 10

All of the fight scenes were well done, the only reason why I didn't give it anything higher was because of the fact that there were very little trademark moves done from the game. Bryan Fury did his "Mach Breaker", Eddy Gordo used Capoeria, Christie was more of a Mixed Martial Artist, same goes for Marshall Law. I liked the fact that they beat each other to bloody hell lol. None of the fight scenes were disappointing.

Story 6 out of 10

What kinda stuck out was the fact that they took some liberties with storyline. They did change some elements of the story so just click the spoiler tag. If you can get pass those elements, the film is not that bad, just look at it as Tekken minus the supernatural elements to a degree.

Kazuya bears no scar on his chest indicating that in this film, he was never thrown off a cliff by Heihachi.

Eddy Gordo and Christie do not know each other at all

Apparently Ogre did not kill Jun in the film

Heihachi does not have any evil intent towards Jin, he took interest in his fighting capabilities.

Jack is in the film, but not how u would think

Acting 7 out of 10

The acting wasn't that bad, either it was me or I could point out when Jon Foo's accent slipped. There was a few cheesy lines, mainly "this is Iron Fist." by Miguel. I thought Kazuya, Jin, and Heihachi's acting was pretty good. Christie was ok, Bryan Fury was just an angry robot. I'll leave it up to you to be the judge for Nina and Anna:awesome:

Overall - 8 out of 10

Some people may still regard Mortal Kombat as being the best video game adaptation, meh....whatever. I thought Tekken was pretty enjoyable, it didn't really disappoint me that much given the budget of the film. The stuff that they missed the mark on could easily be rewritten in a sequel.

How about Gary Daniels, how does he fare in the film in general?

I would say he was decent as Bryan Fury, he had a few lines. The fight between him and Draganov was pretty cool.

So is there a release date for this film in the States?

Amazon doesn't have anything up for preorder.

I dunno what you're talking about.

This is what I'm talking about.

Surely you can see the difference.

And the Jin-Miguel had some nice moments here and there, but it was overall pretty pedestrian IMO. Plus those ridiculous "YOU CAN DO IT"-style close-ups, ugh.
The grappling was pretty weak.
I don't know, after I see stuff like "Flash Point", I can't take stuff like the Tekken fights seriously, but that's my problem I guess.

(Please play this one with no volume, as it includes a crappy song and a lot of swearing)

Last edited:
I see now what you meant about the fights in Tekken. That fight did look fairly weak. Not only did they not focus on a lot of the ground punching but it looked way too staged.

I'm pretty sure that if they were to make a sequel with a bigger budget, the quality of the fights will be alot better.

I see now what you meant about the fights in Tekken. That fight did look fairly weak. Not only did they not focus on a lot of the ground punching but it looked way too staged.

Thank you.
And I said all of that as a Tekken fan, since I've always loved the games.
Cung Le as Marshall Law was a bad, bad choice too.

블라스;18705433 said:
Thank you.
Cung Le as Marshall Law was a bad, bad choice.

I agree, I dunno what the hell was up with that. Jason Scott Lee would have been much better

I'm pretty sure that if they were to make a sequel with a bigger budget, the quality of the fights will be alot better.

That would be cool. Like I said when I first saw the trailer, I expected the acting and dialogue to not be so great and as we all know, the story is fairly simple like MK since it's a fighting game movie. It's just disappointing seeing how staged and slow the fights look for a fighting game movie.

블라스;18705433 said:
Thank you.
Cung Le as Marshall Law was a bad, bad choice too.

Here are the few problems I have with just that one fight.

1. As you said, the camera man/director is idiotic to have the camera lifted up when one of them has the other pinned to the ground and is wailing on them. It's like they didn't have good martial artists to show punches to the face in a professional manner where no one would seriously get hurt so they didn't show most of it.

2. It was just too staged, meaning it was slow compared to how a fight should be, especially for being based on a fighting game. It's a fighting game movie and one of the biggest draws is watching some brutal fights. Although MK is pretty outdated most of the fights were fairly fast paced and the choreography was a lot better. The fights in Mortal Kombat didn't have nearly as many punches or kicks that were thrown from a far enough distance to where you're thinking "how did he think that was going to hit the guy". Mortal Kombat was a bit more frenzied, just look at part of the Liu Kang and Shang Tsung fight at the end and the best two fights in the movie, Johnny Cage vs Scorpion and Liu Kang vs Reptile.

I still want to see this movie but that fight was disappointing. I'm hoping some of the other fights are a little bit better.

I agree, I dunno what the hell was up with that. Jason Scott Lee would have been much better

Agreed. Though he might be a bit old?
Maybe Chan Kwok Kwan, from Shaolin Soccer...

38972_xa60zsnkhq_m.jpg

...who also played Bruce Lee in a HK tv series about his life.

Here are the few problems I have with just that one fight.

1. As you said, the camera man/director is idiotic to have the camera lifted up when one of them has the other pinned to the ground and is wailing on them. It's like they didn't have good martial artists to show punches to the face in a professional manner where no one would seriously get hurt so they didn't show most of it.

2. It was just too staged, meaning it was slow compared to how a fight should be, especially for being based on a fighting game. It's a fighting game movie and one of the biggest draws is watching some brutal fights. Although MK is pretty outdated most of the fights were fairly fast paced and the choreography was a lot better. The fights in Mortal Kombat didn't have nearly as many punches or kicks that were thrown from a far enough distance to where you're thinking "how did he think that was going to hit the guy". Mortal Kombat was a bit more frenzied, just look at part of the Liu Kang and Shang Tsung fight at the end and the best two fights in the movie, Johnny Cage vs Scorpion and Liu Kang vs Reptile.

I still want to see this movie but that fight was disappointing. I'm hoping some of the other fights are a little bit better.

My man *high five*

Also, totally agreed on MK. Those 2 fights (LK vs R and JC vs S)? I still rank them fairly high as far as American movies go.

블라스;18705535 said:
Agreed. Though he might be a bit old?
Maybe Chan Kwok Kwan, from Shaolin Soccer...

38972_xa60zsnkhq_m.jpg

...who also played Bruce Lee in a HK tv series about his life.

I ran with Jason Scott Lee jus due to the fact that he is roughly the age Marshall Law is and like Chan Kwok Kwan, he also portrayed Bruce Lee. Cung Le didn't impress me at all with his portrayal as Law, I was against that when the first pic of him in costume surfaced.

I ran with Jason Scott Lee jus due to the fact that he is roughly the age Marshall Law is and like Chan Kwok Kwan, he also portrayed Bruce Lee. Cung Le didn't impress me at all with his portrayal as Law, I was against that when the first pic of him in costume surfaced.

Yeah, agreed too.
Cung Le was actually awesome in Donnie Yen's Flash Point, check it out.

Dragon: TBLS is pretty underrated, I love JSL in that movie, even if he wasn't the best screen fighter.

블라스;18705567 said:
Yeah, agreed too.
Cung Le was actually awesome in Donnie Yen's Flash Point, check it out.

Dragon: TBLS is pretty underrated, I love JSL in that movie, even if he wasn't the best screen fighter.

I'll check it out, seriously I don't know why they casted him to play Marshall Law, there is no resemblance in appearance or fighting style, I pointed out multiple errors in the Jin vs Law fight, Laws gloves mysteriously being off and on lol

블라스;18705545 said:
My man *high five*

Also, totally agreed on MK. Those 2 fights (LK vs R and JC vs S)? I still rank them fairly high as far as American movies go.

You know who could have helped the fights in Tekken...Robin Shou(if not someone better of course). He did most if not all the choreography for Mortal Kombat from what I remember reading. There are definitely better fight scenes and choreography in a lot of other movies with martial art fights but I think he did a good job in MK.

He wouldn't even have to be in the movie, just have him on set as the advisor between the different takes.

You know who could have helped the fights in Tekken...Robin Shou(if not someone better of course). He did most if not all the choreography for Mortal Kombat from what I remember reading. There are definitely better fight scenes and choreography in a lot of other movies with martial art fights but I think he did a good job in MK.

He wouldn't even have to be in the movie, just have him on set as the advisor between the different takes.

He could have worked as the fight coordinator, but what alot of people were mainly complaining about was the fact that few characters did any moves that were present in the game. Maybe the director himself wasn't that aware of how important the characters moves are because each of them all have signature attacks that pretty much define them

Robin Shou hasn't done a lot of choreographing outside the MK films (which as far as I know, was a shared duty with Pat Johnson), but the guy's a hell of a screen fighter.

I'm sure he could do a great job if he got the chance.

Hell, he could have been a great Marshall too.

블라스;18705811 said:
Robin Shou hasn't done a lot of choreographing outside the MK films (which as far as I know, was a shared duty with Pat Johnson), but the guy's a hell of a screen fighter.

I'm sure he could do a great job if he got the chance.

Hell, he could have been a great Marshall too.

He could have portrayed Law perfectly, but if ur gonna have Law in the film, even if its for just a fight, you would need to include Paul as well. I was kinda disappointed to not see Paul in the film at all, they just made mention of him.

Finally watched the Movie. I thought it was ok, not great, but also nowhere near an embarrassment like The Legend of Chun-Li. Of course I've got some nitpicks, like the background and relationship changes of several characters. But I admit that it would be difficult to stay faithful to every character's personal history when you just can't put the focus on all of them.

I admit, I haven't been much of a Tekken player. Tekken 3 was my first PSX game, then I played a bit of Tekken 4, but I never really followed any of the characters stories. Not much anyway. But did they make Kazuya twice of an a**hole than he's in the games? And Heihachi comes off as a likeable guy, when I remember him gunning Jin down in one of the Tekken 3 endings. But it worked in the movie I guess.

I was also disappointed to never see Kazuya fight. Really fight. Not that twin axe bull****.

So, do we know how big the box office for this was in Japan?
I have to agree that the fights could have been better. They weren't terrible, but compared to other Movies, the fights just aren't in the same league. Though they are still entertaining. I totally love the fight against Yoshimitsu.

Why did they have to kill him off?! :argh: I don't care about the other deaths, but Yoshimitsu... :csad:

So, do we know how big the box office for this was in Japan? I wouldn't mind to see another direct to DVD sequel.

Oh, and ass cleavage was :awesome:

Yoshimitsu didn't die. Kazuya said the ratings went high when "the crowd thought you killed Yoshimitsu".

Thought it was a really good movie, probably one of the best video game adaptions to date. Although they do take some liberties with some of the characters relationships, history and motives(Heihachi in particular) but I still enjoyed it.

One thing I really didnt like was the guy they chose to play Martial Law, his frame was too big and his fighting style was all wrong. Somebody mentioned Chan Kwok Kwan in this thread and he looks Bruce Lee, to me he would've been a better choice. Oh well if we get a sequel hopefully he'll play Forest Law.

anyways 7/10 for me

What Did Tekken Developers Think Of The Tekken Movie?

You hate the Tekken movie? You're not alone. The guys that make Tekken hate it, too.

"That Hollywood movie is terrible," Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada tweeted. "We were not able to supervise that movie (It was cruel contract) I'm not interested in that mv."

The movie, which stars...some actors, has gotten a theatrical release in Japan, but not in the West. Last month, it got its English theatrical premiere in Singapore. Its release is straight-to-video in the U.S.

And because of that, it probably has done more to harm the Tekken brand than help it.

Harada_TEKKEN
[Twitter via CVG]

Kotaku

Not surprised that the developers don't like it. But hey, for a movie based on a franchise that has genetically engineered Kangaroos and Dinosaurs, with Android fighters, Demons and an old Karate fighter with ridiculous hair, who survives being at the center of an explosion, it was actually a decent movie. Especially considering the low budget and lazy script.

The movie to me was entertaining, the people involved get an A for effort and I pre-ordered the Blu-ray steel box today.

Finally saw it. Turned out as expected.

If you don't know the Tekken games, this movie was only OK. As a martial art/fight movie connoisseur I have definitely seen better.And for those of you, like myself, who are fans of the games, this movie was disappointing.
Anybody who knows Tekken knows that every character had some sort of trademark move or moves, none of which were covered in the movie properly and of course they changed some of the character backgrounds and fighting styles and whatnot blah blah blah.

They should have just based first Tekken game and went from there. Fewer characters to choose from and being the first chapter, less of the mythology to cover, which is something that I think worked for Mortal Kombat.

As a fight movie, this was average. As a Tekken movie, it was not. I would say overall, alot better than that Chun-Li movie, not as good as Mortal Kombat, about on par with D.O.A. In terms of it's overall depiction of the scource material.

I still like it, because, Hey it's a Tekken movie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"