• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Official Vertigo Thread

So, I finally read Enigma by Peter Milligan. I bought it ages ago, but then forgot about it, and rediscovered it as I moved. It's..an interesting book. I feel as if I need to sit down and read it all over again, especially the ending, as I really didn't get at all what happened. The narration was kind of all over the place, but in the end, it made sense. Definitely an interesting work, it vaguely reminds me of early Cronenberg, specifically Videodrome and Naked Lunch.

You got a copy of Enigma? I'm jealous. I had to resort to slightly shady means to read it. I pretty much agree with you on it. Milligan's, and a lot of 70's-80's British comic writers, seem to have been influenced by Burroughs and the cut-up technique, which I also think the punk movement was another heavy influence. I've seen it in the work of Milligan, early Morrison, Kathy Acker (American, and not-comic, but fits the mold), David Hine,and Brendan McCarthy. Speaking of McCarthy, have you checked out the Best of Milligan and McCarthy? That thing is nuts.

Yes, I like the sound of my voice and to say things that make me appear clever.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got it for a fairly decent price not super long ago (I think it was like $17?). But no, I haven't picked up the Best of, yet, though I plan to at some point. It makes me realize what a waste Vertigo Resurrected was, too. It was basically a bunch of Hellblazer stories, and only like one of Milligan's series got reprinted via it.

The only ones I got were The Extermist which was great, and the Ellis's Hellblazer story.

I know Vertigo Resurrected also put out the Winter's Edge books, My Faith In Frankie and Johnny Double collections, since I own them. It was a good way to put out series without giving them the full trade treatment, but I didn't like the lack of covers being collected. Still, it gave me a chance to read a few stories I wanted to without breaking my bank to do so.

I rather like Vertigo. Many of my favorite books came from them. I'm reading Fables right now and enjoying it quite a bit.

I know Vertigo Resurrected also put out the Winter's Edge books, My Faith In Frankie and Johnny Double collections, since I own them. It was a good way to put out series without giving them the full trade treatment, but I didn't like the lack of covers being collected. Still, it gave me a chance to read a few stories I wanted to without breaking my bank to do so.

I liked the idea, too, but they were too limited in what they ultimately reprinted

Can anyone here recommend Brian Wood's DMZ run? It's getting a Deluxe run treatment.

Vertigo Announces New Fall Slate

Survivors' Club sounds potentially great.
Whoa! Very interesting books. :up:

I know Image Comics are currently slaying, especially in trades sales, but I always liked Vertigo more and feel they are underrated. My LCS always orders a bare minimum of copies for Vertigo titles.

[YT]yTNJuUYybtU[/YT]
Some good stuff there.

I'm really enjoying Tom King's Grayson so I'm quite hyped for his Sheriff of Baghdad.

So, I finally read Enigma by Peter Milligan. I bought it ages ago, but then forgot about it, and rediscovered it as I moved. It's..an interesting book. I feel as if I need to sit down and read it all over again, especially the ending, as I really didn't get at all what happened. The narration was kind of all over the place, but in the end, it made sense. Definitely an interesting work, it vaguely reminds me of early Cronenberg, specifically Videodrome and Naked Lunch.

I bought it last week.

Great book. So basically the lizard is an intelligent one, and he's trying to explain all to the other dumb lizards. So he's like Enigma, he's the most intelligent people in a world full of idiots.

I really liked it. The only thing that annoyed me is that Enigma made Michael gay. I would have prefered if it was just his journey that allowed him to discover he was gay.

Should we be fully buying into a story published on April 1st?

Should we be fully buying into a story published on April 1st?
BC has reported about the new Doom Patrol series and new Sandman series way before April 1. And all their April Fools articles are correctly labeled as such:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04...arvel-again-as-deadpool-comics-are-cancelled/
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/01/dc-comics-to-move-back-to-the-east-coast-in-2017/
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/01/marvel-to-let-readers-choose-hercules-sexual-orientation/

BC can be **** with their rumour reports, but they have been correct lately especially with DC stuff.

If it's true about Gerard Way writing DP, that is awesome. Dude is really an incredible writer. I don't dislike his music, but he missed his calling I think after reading Umberella Academy and Killjoys. I hope he sticks around, though. Seems a lot of talent from other mediums dip their toes in comics, realize the money isn't that great compared to what they were doing, and leave just as quickly.

Basically seems like it Vertigo type/based series, but with mainline DC characters. They made an effort to separate mainstream DC characters from Veritgo several years ago, so I guess they want to keep that for some reason. Young Animal sounds like something straight out of the cheesiest of the 90s, but that's a nitpick.

Definitely looking forward to his Doom Patrol and Shade. The other series seems good, but I'm cautious about him writing three different series. Has a feeling like he'll probably only be around for awhile on two while sticking with one other indefinitely. I can't see him doing three monthlies and keeping on track, unless he's been working on them for a very significant amount of time.

With Doom Patrol being the only one he's doing solo, I kind of feel like he'll just end up pitching story on the other two, while those other co-writers do the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"