The Prequel Trilogy General Discussion and Appreciation Thread

While I like the new trilogy, they just are doing their own version of the OG trilogy and putting us right in the middle of the war instead of building up to it like the prequels did.

As maligned as the prequels are (and sometimes unjustifiably so), you gotta give it to Lucas for trying something different. The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi are proving that is not *that* easy to expand the universe.

I'm not sure he deserves the credit for some of the gaping plot holes he created in the universe.

I'm not sure he deserves the credit for some of the gaping plot holes he created in the universe.

What plot holes? The only legitimate plot hole that Lucas created is the "Leia remembering her mom" part. Any other plot hole could be explained that it's either a misquote ("I don't remember ever owning a droid") or a pack of lies ("he betrayed and murdered your father").

The Jedi using the illegally made Clone army that used the assassin they were tracking and trying to arrest as their template. Same assassin they tracked down to Geonosis working for the Separatists AND Count Dooku. Jango Fett even tells Obi-Wan Kenobi he never heard of Sifo Dyas and was recruited by "Darth Tyranus." A clone army that was commissioned for the Republic by a dead Jedi who did "not have the council's authorization."

Also, Padme losing the will to live. She died of a broken heart.

And midichlorians.

Man, the childish SW fans need to realize the damage their harshness can cause for others. It's more than fine to dislike a character,a movie, a director but the way some go about it can be so damaging.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...h/news-story/a25321e6793b68e068cba866feb9cbfe

Jar Jar Binks actor reveals true devastating effect of public backlash

HE quickly became the most hated character in the Star Wars universe — now, the actor who played Jar Jar Binks reveals the heartbreaking effect the public backlash had on him.

HE’S perhaps the most-hated character in the Star Wars universe — and the audience backlash towards Jar Jar Binks took a heavy toll on the actor who played him.

Binks, who featured heavily in 1999’s The Phantom Menace, drew dismal reactions from fans, many of whom found his cartoonish, childlike manner grating.

He also saw Star Wars director George Lucas cop allegations of racism, as many viewers viewed the character as a negative Rastafarian racial stereotype.

In what was only his second film role, actor Ahmed Best provided the voice and motion capture movements for the reviled space alien.

Best posted a photo to Twitter today, showing he and his young son on top of a bridge. The caption provides a startling look at just how much the Jar Jar Binks backlash affected him.

“20 years next year I faced a media backlash that still affects my career today. This was the place I almost ended my life. It’s still hard to talk about. I survived and now this little guy is my gift for survival,” Best wrote, asking his followers whether the tale would make for a good one-man show.

Many people — among them Star Wars: The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson — responded with words of encouragement.

“Lots of love to you Ahmed. I think there are many of us who’d get quite a lot from hearing your story,” wrote Johnson.

Ahmed Best, who voiced the much-loathed character, previously said the hate towards Jar Jar was “painful”.

“You put a lot of your own personality into it and you get emotionally and personally invested in the work that you do,” Best said in an interview posted to Youtube in 2016.

So when your work is criticized negatively you get a bit of a hit.”

“Star Wars was my first ‘most hated’ title in anything really. It was painful. One of the biggest reasons I took it was because of the challenge of it — there was no Andy Serkis and Gollum, Navi from Avatar, Martians, John Carter.

“I was to be the template for this, so I was kinda working with George to pioneer this new character form of acting and storytelling. On set we were all just so focused on the challenge of it and having so much fun that the post-Star Wars stuff was a surprise.”

Best said he understood why viewers reacted so strongly against the character — but it didn’t make the backlash hurt any less.

“When they see a character that’s purely comical, and purely for the children, they felt probably a bit condescended to,” he said.

Best isn’t the only Star Wars actor to suffer the wrath of the franchise’s famously vocal fans — The Last Jedi actress Kelly Marie Tran quit Instagram last month after suffering months of racist and sexist abuse on social media.

The Vietnamese-American actress starred as Resistance fighter Rose Tico in the 2017 film, but was subjected to abusive comments and harassment from some so-called fans, who took aim at her ethnicity and appearance.

Rian Johnson, has defended the actress, describing the trolls as “manbabies”.

If you or someone you know is in need of crisis or suicide prevention support, please call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or visit www.lifeline.org.au/gethelp

Man, the childish SW fans need to realize the damage their harshness can cause for others. It's more than fine to dislike a character,a movie, a director but the way some go about it can be so damaging.
Let's start by nuking Twitter and Facebook.

Reactions: Bim
Man, i've been very removed from my love of Star Wars lately, and this past weekend i came across ROTS on tv and it got me all nostalgic. It reminded me of my love for a galaxy far, far away, so i'll be doing a revisit next weekend, starting with I.

Doing a Star Wars marathon in anticipation of TROS. Just finished AOTC. Man, That Geonosis battle is just Star Wars heaven.

The Phantom Menace was released 20 years ago today. I'll never forget the hype around it.

Star_Wars_Phantom_Menace_poster.jpg

I might be the only human being on Earth, but I still kind of love TPM. I have so many issues with the prequels, and don't find them to be good movies. But I will always have a soft spot for TPM. That opening, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, podracing, a new part of Tatooine, Keira Knightley randomly being in Star Wars (I didn't know this until years later obviously, but she is in it more the you think and actually speaks multiple times), Palpatine, Zod, and of course that duel. By the gods, that duel. Also, I really like the look of the film.

tumblr_plyqvr5Ftg1qzc7jao2_400.gif
tumblr_plyqvr5Ftg1qzc7jao1_400.gif

tumblr_plyqvr5Ftg1qzc7jao3_400.gif
tumblr_plyqvr5Ftg1qzc7jao6_400.gif

tumblr_plyqvr5Ftg1qzc7jao5_400.gif
tumblr_plyqvr5Ftg1qzc7jao4_400.gif

tumblr_plyqvr5Ftg1qzc7jao9_400.gif
tumblr_plyqvr5Ftg1qzc7jao8_400.gif

tumblr_plyqvr5Ftg1qzc7jao7_400.gif
tumblr_plyqvr5Ftg1qzc7jao10_400.gif

Reactions: Bim
Podracing was better than I remembered it :funny: And I also love the short Qui-Gon - Maul duel in Tatooine.

I just rewatched Attack of the Clones for the first time in over ten years and dear god, it’s much worse than I remember.

I just rewatched Attack of the Clones for the first time in over ten years and dear god, it’s much worse than I remember.

So much about Attack of the Clones just doesn't work for me. I think the building blocks are there, but so much just gets fumbled in terms of writing, plotting and performance wise.

Like I want to take Anakin and Padme seriously. You have that amazing new John Williams theme, but their dialogue and interaction is just so awkward and stilted. Leia and Han were not this stilted in the prequels.

I remember first seeing the movie in theaters and everyone just constantly laughing at the awkwardness of Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman's performances.

Is it any wonder fans like the Clone Wars more? Yeah because Lucas didn't direct them and you don't have some of the most awkward stilted acting performances ever.

And then the CG. Everything just looks so fake. Everything's rendered via computer and just looks so overly clean and static or pixelated.

As annoying as Jar Jar was, yeah Best got way too much hate. So did Jake Lloyd...and KMT...and George Lucas.

No reason to get that much vitrol for doing a movie especially when it's not like they're insulting people over it

I just rewatched these over the weekend as part of my yearly Star Wars viewing cycle. I've always been a fan of these, and they get better with age.

I just rewatched these over the weekend as part of my yearly Star Wars viewing cycle. I've always been a fan of these, and they get better with age.

i rewatched them this weekend too and feel the same.

the fx in episode 1 and 2 are quite dated now, but episode 3 still mostly looks pretty great.

that beginning space battle of ep 3 is :up::up::up:.
lucas sure knows how to film action scenes.

his direction got progessively better with each episode here.

but i probably like the story in attack of the clones the most out of the PT.
the direction may be a bit of a mess, but i do like the framework and story lucas built around it.

i did not get it at the time of release, but with ep 2, lucas was really leaning into that cheesy 50s sci-fi serial vibe and i see it now.

also, it gave us a cool villain with count dooku. great casting with christopher lee in the role.
he can do this type of role in his sleep.

also, it gave us a cool villain with count dooku. great casting with christopher lee in the role.
he can do this type of role in his sleep.

Lee doesn't get the credit that he deserves for his performance. Dooku wasn't flashy like Maul or horror-movie-creepy like Palpatine, but he was nuanced and effective.

Lee doesn't get the credit that he deserves for his performance. Dooku wasn't flashy like Maul or horror-movie-creepy like Palpatine, but he was nuanced and effective.

yup. exactly why dooku is a great villain. that nuance.

to me, he's sort of a proto-darth vader.

ruthless, manipulative, but you see glimpses of what seems to be genuine humanity.

like he seems to show some regret in having to kill the jedi.

also, he has a cool and unique lightsaber!

On paper Ep 2 has the makings of being one of the best movies. An attempted assassination that branches into a political conspiracy that turns into a war movie.

But the execution is so flawed. The romance doesn’t work, it doesn’t do the stakes justice, and aside from Jango, the villains have little presence till the last third or so of the movie.

Episode 2 is not only the worst Star Wars film by quite a bit, it's also one of the worst films I've ever seen. I have literally nothing good to say about that film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"