• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

'The Raid' Director Gareth Evans to Helm Period Thriller 'Apostle' (Exclusive)

HOLY ****.

Okay yeah. I need this movie now. Like, right now. Good to know it’s coming out in a couple weeks.

Speaking of which though, and I’ve talked about this before... why does Netflix only drop trailers for their stuff less than a month before the release? Can someone explain this strategy to me? Because it makes no sense, IMO.

Last edited:
This is getting good reviews. A bit of complaining about the script and slow first hour but I'd like these reviewers to experience Hold the Dark first and then whine about this one.If they didn't they don't know what slow is.

So ready to watch this thing I won't mind waking up with my newborn at 3 in the morning...

So psyched to watch this today! Hopefully it's unusually good for Netflix :D

I knew from the second this movie opened I was going to really enjoy it and even though its a bit too long and lags in the middle once it got to the second half and especially that crazy ****ing third act I was basically all in. I can't really say I have seen anything like it either because it's definitely not your typical, cult horror film. Yes it's period horror at its purest and Evans definitely doesn't shy away from the gore, but from the direction to the gorgeous cinematography and that awesome score you can tell he is quickly becoming a master craftsman in this genre. Its not like this guy had much else to prove either after The Raid films, but I honestly can't wait to see what he does next. Very strong performances across the board too.

8/10

This was sick. The kind of movie you could probably nit-pick to death but I was really drawn into the world Evans created here, Stevens was magnetic as the protagonist, and there's such an incredible verve to how they shot and edited this film (and the music and sound design were also fantastic). There's a very cool unfolding mystery thriller vibe to the first half of the movie or so and then towards the end it goes folk horror beast mode. Messy but dope.

Well, it had the usual (for Evans) 2-dimensional characters for the most part, and it got a bit silly on occasion but overall I thought this was a hell of a ride. Directing, acting, cinematography and music were all top notch.

This movie was pretty insane in a good way, especially in the second half! Did not see the ending coming!

Great performances, cinematography, score, direction, and a great amount of gore!

Just finished it. It was not what I expected it to be but I totally dug it. It felt schizophrenic and a couple of different movies in one but it still worked. Loved the whole concept of the island’s mystery. The gory stuff has me squirming so bad. :funny:

ETA: I want a prequel about the grinder. Like what the heck is that?

Last edited:
Quite enjoyed this, although I think I could have watched it on mute for Dan Stevens facial expressions alone!

The script could have been better but Sheen and Stevens are always excellent and I just loved the music here. 8/10

Oh I forgot to post my long winded review but here it is..

This was fantastic. Gareth Evans gets to expand on his horror side from V/H/S 2 to Apostle and he was able to make it look stunning. There's a lot of inspiration he took from other movies about the occult mainly The Wicker Man and others like The Devil's Rain and Kill List. But what he did differently is give some nuances to the cult's governing system. What I like about it is they mostly don't operate like hive mind like so many other movies about cults. As for the performances I thought Dan Stevens killed it, he does a lot of facial acting that adds to the tension. I didn't expect much from Michael Sheen but he was also a highlight as well as Lucy Boynton, who I can see be a bigger star in the future. What this movie kinda hides from the trailers is it gets really strange and really supernatural. Gareth Evans loves creating notable characters designs that you remember from his movies and this is no exception. It's got great imaginary all around. If I had any complaints, it would be the middle might be slow for some, but it really picks up at the last 30 or so minutes. Overall, it's easily one of the best horror movies this year.
9.5/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"