The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Now , if you would go over to the TDK boards and post a similar post, I would be very happy. That's the film folks seem to think you're brain damaged if you don't like.

I'm not crazy about TDK. I like it the least of the Nolan trilogy Batman films. Ledger is good and all, but the performance had received such gargantuan hype by the time I got around to seeing it that it actually disappointed me a bit. I didn't really get invested in the rest of the story, either. In comparison, to my surprise I cared more about the characters and story in Batman Begins and TDKR. Actually, my fellow CBM friends had trashed TDKR so badly for Hardy's Bane performance that I expected it to be bad but I actually loved it. (It doesn't matter to me that Hardy's Bane doesn't match the comics. Film is a different medium entirely, and they usually make heavy adaptations of all kinds from the comic book source material.) I'm only talking about my own personal reaction, for my own reasons, and not positing which of any of the films is "better" than the others. I also don't expect any film to be perfect. Anyway, sorry for the ramble here but just chipping in my two cents on TDK.

Last edited:
My problem with the Dark Knight now is I've seen it to much. I honestly think on multiple rewatches all the Nolan Batman films get worse. Even back when I first saw the Dark Knight I thought it was about twenty minutes to long aswell. That whole boat sequence could have been massively cut down or even cut out the film. Don't even get me started on Rises while I do like that film I will never love it. I think it's massively overrated.

Man of Steel to me seems fine in length and always has. It doesn't have a single scene I'd cut out.

Begins never gets worse. TDK is still an emotionally powerful film for me but I agree that the ferry sequence is a drag. Yes, we get it, all these citizens are looking blankly at each other while trying to figure out whether they will push the button or not. Ugh.

Rises is like the ferry sequence extended to an entire film. Apart from a few terrific scenes, that movie is so boring. Last time I saw it was with a friend and I fell asleep partway through.

Man of Steel I have no problems with. The pacing and length are all fine to me, and there's not really a sequence in the film that I feel drags in any way.

Begins never gets worse. TDK is still an emotionally powerful film for me but I agree that the ferry sequence is a drag. Yes, we get it, all these citizens are looking blankly at each other while trying to figure out whether they will push the button or not. Ugh.

Rises is like the ferry sequence extended to an entire film. Apart from a few terrific scenes, that movie is so boring. Last time I saw it was with a friend and I fell asleep partway through.

Man of Steel I have no problems with. The pacing and length are all fine to me, and there's not really a sequence in the film that I feel drags in any way.

I do like Begins still but I think I've even watched that to many times.

Rises is a weird one maybe it is boring I can't quite put my finger on it but there's something about it I really don't like in the way it feels. I hated Bane aswell.

I suppose any film can seem boring depending on the mood though :oldrazz:

Is there such a thing as watching Man of Steel too many times?

I liked the story but the one thing that really bugged me was the slightly colored, black and white, filming of the movie. I didn't care for the coloring of the film, it was lacking color. I understand that the film maker was going for a dark and dreary world but I didn't really care for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"