Comics The Return of Carnage!

Spider-X

Big damn hero
Reaction score
Anyone else currently reading the new Carnage mini series and absolutely freaking LOVING IT?!?!?

Carnage-Promo.jpg

Because I am. That last 2 issues have been freaking awesome. The art is great (same artist as the last Venom vs. Carnage mini series...which gave us Toxin), the story is awesome so far, the twist and alternative to Cletus is great, and the references to the Maximum Carnage storyline are awesome.

I know there's a lot of hate for Carnage due to over exposure during the 90's and that he's "not deep enough" or whatever the hell...but screw the haters, I've always loved the character. The first comic book i ever bought was the 3rd issue in the Maximum Carnage series. Ever since then I've always loved the symbiote characters.

Carnage is chaos embodied, a very powerful being who doesn't just enjoy, but loves to kill and has an incredible weapon (which lives in blood) for which to reek mass havoc with. He's morally one of the most reprehensible and terrifying creatures imaginable...and a great villain, imo. It's always awesome to see Spidey tangle with him given how moral Spidey is vs. how horrible and powerful Carnage is.

What are you all thinking thus far?

Last edited:
I read the first issue, so far it's very lackluster, same as the Osborn mini---

...your post is very lackluster. Please do explain.

I found the first issue to be a great lead in. It brought back a few forgotten and Spidey villains (having to due with Maximum Carnage) that were used very well to progress the story. The action was good and the story brought about some interesting questions.

Last edited:
1 - that it is an easily for gotten issue at least to me, makes it lackluster as nothing really stood out about it. (though i did enjoy seeing Shriek again...
2 - the return of the quite clearly dead Spider-Doppelganger was pretty dumb...
Though i have yet to read issue 2...
is it the same Spider-Doppelganger?

1 - Got ya. I can see where your coming from. Really i wasn't expecting the comic to be all that great and came out pleasantly surprised.

2 - i'm a little puzzled by that as well. I'm thinking it is the same Doppelganger. My thought is that, when last we saw him, Doppelganger was basically beaten badly (stabbed) by Carnage and then tossed off a building and slammed to the pavement and appeared dead...though he could have just been very wounded and just went into seclusion after he came to. I don't remember him being "dead beyond all recognition." For the sake of the story, I though him coming back and trying to rescue Shriek was a pretty awesome throw back.

Relpace Tony with Steve in this story and what do we have?

LOL

...a character completley out of place?

What does Cap have to do with using biotech to make prosthetic limbs and armored suits ignorantly out of an unknown alien substance? That's more Iron Man's relm of things than anyone else.

Last edited:
all i meant by that was that this seems to be becoming like Maximum Carnage

That's what i was thinking you meant by it. But it doesn't fit. So far it's nothing like MC, it has just been referenced it a few times, and with good reason.

Something tells me you aren't to keen on the idea of actually finding anything positive to say about this mini, where as I'm actually really enjoying it so far. I'd urge you to read the second issue as it brings Carnage back in full form. It also dives deeper into what's going on and is actually really well done, imo. But if you're only point in doing so is to point out flaws, then don't waste your time.

Last edited:
Carnage should've been left for dead. I liked his debut, I even liked "Maximum Carnage" and his role in "Planet of the Symbiotes"(!), but ultimately he is useless. Seems like some writers and fans want their childhood back, but it won't happen.

I'm wanting it to be good, i'm just saying as a first issue, it's relying way to heavy upon the past.
When did the second issue come out?

I don't see how drawing ties to the past is a negative thing. And it's not relying on it...and you'll see why if you read the second issue. I believe it came out last week, but i'm not sure....in any case, it's out.

Carnage should've been left for dead. I liked his debut, I even liked "Maximum Carnage" and his role in "Planet of the Symbiotes"(!), but ultimately he is useless. Seems like some writers and fans want their childhood back, but it won't happen.

Excellent...I knew this was coming. How is it that he's a useless character?

Carnage is the complete moral opposite to Spider-Man.

Spider-Man NEVER kills because he sees no gain in it and that it's wrong...Carnage, on the other hand, is all about killing and for the shear fact that he can and he loves it! He's totally twisted and it makes for interesting stand offs. You really want him to get shut down, but he's so powerful that it's not easy. Carnage also has a societal view that's truly horrifying and it gives him purpose.

Wikipedia states it best:

Carnage is a psychopath and justifies his acts of murder with an absurdist philosophy, based on the idea that the universe is essentially chaotic and that law and order are a perversion. He believes that even the average person can be like him, provided he has "guts". According to Kasady, all human beings are basically evil; most just won't admit it. His ultimate goal is for a society based on murderous hedonism and nihilism, with no law or moral order, and for people to have the freedom to do whatever they want.Carnage seems to have little interest in such typical supervillain desires as wealth and world domination. He kills mainly for his own pleasure, but also sees it as a form of "art". Kasady takes pride when his actions gain media attention, saying "I'm not inspired by the media... I inspire the media." He once told Demogoblin, in response to the demon's assertion that the universe is made of patterns and plans, that "Life is meaningless! Chaos! The universe has no center! Its creator is a drooling idiot!"

Carnage is a philosphically twisted SOB. I don't see how he's useless at all.

Last edited:
Another point...with quality writing and creative direction involved, ANYTHING can be good. So, no offense, but saying nothing good can come of Carnage is a poor point and stating it like a fact makes you sound foolish.

Last edited:
It's just my opinion. The writers should take their ideas to create better characters, not trying to improve these kind of "one-shot" villains. Just an idea.

It's just my opinion. The writers should take their ideas to create better characters, not trying to improve these kind of "one-shot" villains. Just an idea.

once again...how is he a "useless" or "one-shot" character?

He was meant to be a one-shot and became much more due to fan demand....so what? why does that matter? Carnage is a fleshed out character now whose had plenty of great stories and still has plenty of potential.

The 3rd issue came out today...just got done reading it and holy hell I loved it.

Hey ben_reilly_s_s, this issue explains why Doppelganger is still alive:

he's got an advanced healing factor

And most shocking of all...read this if you want to spoil a really good part for yourself:

Cletus is alive!!!...or at least the top half of him is.

This series has been awesome so far. If you've ever liked carnage or are a fan of symbiotes...you are doing yourselves a disservice is you aren't already reading this.

Last edited:
*Reads second spoiler, spits, freaks the @&%!^ out*

Uh....HOw?! I mean...gah! Details please? :eek:

*Reads second spoiler, spits, freaks the @&%!^ out*

Uh....HOw?! I mean...gah! Details please? :eek:

My jaw literally dropped when I saw the full shot on the last page of the comic. Here are the details:

The CEO of this synthetic limb/armor corporation (competing with Stark) found the upper half of Carnage's body orbiting the earth after it smashed into one of his satellites. He brought it down to earth and has been milking the symbiote for its shapeshifting properties alone. Turns out this CEO is a bit of a nut job and decided to try and save the upper half of Cletus's body as an experiment for his synthetic limbs, since he found that Cletus was still alive due to "the symbiote almost dying due to the strain of trying to keep him alive in earth's orbit." His experiment has worked, so the bottom half of Cletus's body is now made of mechanic/symbiote hybrid fake limbs. and the Carnage symbiote (using Shriek's psychiatrist...hence the Female Carnage stuff) just made it's way back to his containment cell to bust him out.

freaking awesome.

Last edited:
Weirdly awesome. Simply put. Weirdly awesome.

This series is awesome so far, I love how Marvel is reinventing its popular 90s characters and stories for the 21st century recently.

As cool as it is that... that second spoiler happened... I would like to see the Symbiote regenerate-- the lower half because right now its a bit gimmicky.

I've always been a fan of Carnage and the possibilities he brought as a Spidey villain after reading the old Carnage in New York novel. It got away with more than the comics could, and it really made him a mindless killing machine.

This issue brought me back to this site. Been quite a while.

But all I really have to say is... YES!

YES! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

And for anyone who might see this as ridiculous, let's just remember that Carnage has had a terrible time with continuity. Possibly one of the worst. But one of the things that made Carnage different from Venom was bonding on a level Eddie and Venom never did. The symbiote and Kasady's blood become one. And even though that was apparently ignored in later stories, you can't just say that Kasady's blood returned to normal.

With that in mind, being torn in half in space probably would have killed Venom. Maybe, maybe not. Who knows. But for Carnage I would argue that the symbiote was far more able to sustain Kasady in an almost cryogenic state. Slowing his heart rate dramatically, as well as his metabolism. Recycling everything in his body, like muscle and fat to keep him alive. Who knows, the symbiote might have even pulled the lower half of Kasday back to complete itself and try to make Kasady whole again, but instead later decided to devour the legs and use them for sustenance.

The only thing I can't really buy is how the hell is Cletus so damn ripped? He should look like the poster boy for male anorexia. And err, without any testes, how's he producing testosterone?

But other than that, good stuff. :up:

Yeah, this definitely turned into a great little miniseries. It's a bit rediculous, but then again so is basically every story Carnage has ever been involved with. And, thankfully, this one is being written by someone that obviously really loves Carnage and wants to see him back into play, rather than by a writer who probably was skimming through some back issues one day, saw him and said, "Man, I always hated Carnage.. what a gay little character. I KNOW! I'll bring him back and kill his ass. Hahaha.. ****, I'm a genius."

Very interesting to note that both the Venom and Carnage symbiotes are now going to be responsible for giving their hosts the ability to walk again...

As cool as it is that... that second spoiler happened... I would like to see the Symbiote regenerate-- the lower half because right now its a bit gimmicky.

I've always been a fan of Carnage and the possibilities he brought as a Spidey villain after reading the old Carnage in New York novel. It got away with more than the comics could, and it really made him a mindless killing machine.

Agreed. Anyone disillusioned by the last 10 years of S-M comics and think they've read everything should pick up the S-M paperback novels. Most are fantastic. Also the short story book is unbelievable.

Examples:

512V65BSGWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

51W3BR957TL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

51ECN2WR5HL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

515XYVXWTKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"