The Return of Vinyl: Turntables and Analog Audio

Would y’all oppose this being moved to Books & Music? Some great discussion in here so far and I think it would garner more traffic and feedback over there.

Would y’all oppose this being moved to Books & Music? Some great discussion in here so far and I think it would garner more traffic and feedback over there.
Thanks, CC. Yeah, I was also considering moving it because it has turned into more of a general analog music and record collecting thread than the original tech question.

Thanks, CC. Yeah, I was also considering moving it because it has turned into more of a general analog music and record collecting thread than the original tech question.

Not to twist this back to a tech thread, but have you decided on a turntable? :funny:

Not to twist this back to a tech thread, but have you decided on a turntable? :funny:
Cough...
I have it on good authority that Santa is bringing me a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo with an upgraded Ortofon 2m Bronze cartridge, Tube pre-amp, and a Monitor Audio Bronze 2.1 speaker system. :D

Missed that. LOL.

English ??? :funny:

It sounds like a car.
How about pictograms...
NippyHalfAfricanporcupine-size_restricted.gif

MatureTemptingIridescentshark-small.gif

:hehe:

BTW, it occurs to me that Tommy's family was somewhat wanting. His extended family in particular probably wouldn't rank very high on Babysitters-R-Us
BTW, hows the new turntable working out?

So considering how amazing my early Canadian pressing of BB King Live in Cook County Jail sounds, I was looking into adding Live at the Regal to my collection and discovered that the Canadian first pressing is considered the best version and superior to the main US first pressing.

Also really interesting is that the pressor, Sparton Records, was located in my hometown, which is not a big city and a good deal smaller at the time. Sadly, no copies are available for sale in Discogs right now, but I'm going to keep my eye out for a NM, price notwithstanding.

It kinda makes sense considering cool musical things seemed to happen here back in the 60s, like this:

My Mom and Grandma were actually in the audience.
My London: Johnny Cash's ties to the Forest City remembered a decade after his death | London Free Press

I'm finally getting into the Vinyl game and I bought my very first Vinyl. One would think it would be any album from Daft Punk, but thanks to them breaking up, you can't find it anywhere. :cmad:

So went to my go to my true love from 10 years ago that really got me back into music again.

x6tEdhf.jpg

8rYBNSP.jpg

Also I need a new turntable since the one I had (which was one of those big music boxes that plays everything) apparently isn't work so well.

Any suggestions for a solid turntable that isn't too cheap or expensive?

I finally caved and bought my favorite album from R.E.M., it usually goes up to $300. I snagged mine for $150 on Discogs. Now all I need are original pressings of Up, Reveal, and Around The Sun to finish out my R.E.M. collection.77D0D6D9-CE07-497D-9B03-2D7677812C2A.jpeg479B1E62-9849-4B08-9C95-DF877D876FB2.jpeg

So I bought myself the Audio-Technica AT-LP60XBT-RD turntable which should be coming tomorrow. Also I bought myself the Dark Knight soundtrack on vinyl because I am so predictable. :o

I finally caved and bought my favorite album from R.E.M., it usually goes up to $300. I snagged mine for $150 on Discogs. Now all I need are original pressings of Up, Reveal, and Around The Sun to finish out my R.E.M. collection.View attachment 46034View attachment 46035

That's awesome. Finding original pressings of those favourites can be a pain. My wife got me an American first pressing of Cream's Wheels of Fire for my birthday this year. It is the ATCO purple and gold Monarch pressing, which is supposed to be the best, but the condition was not as advertised, which was a bummer. She also got me the Canadian Polydor first pressing as a backup for a fraction of the price and it is amazing. Near mint and I wonder if it has the same wonderful Monarch mastering because it is full and beefy like the Monarch whereas the UK Polydor first pressing are supposed to be thin and underwhelming.

I may or may not have gone overboard with buying vinyls in the last 2 weeks. :o

5su2c5i.jpg

I also bought a table made for vinyls... here's my current set up:

y8XlA0i.jpg
Nice table and new setup (I need to get a display spot like you guys). I also need to add the TDK Soundtrack to my vinyl wishlist. Is that the standard version or the extended deluxe?

Here is my setup:
PXL_20210717_145509439.jpg

My new haul since I posted that (forgot I already posted the Glitch Mob album)

hi9ZJz9.jpg

You don't want to know how much I paid for that Mondo Tron Legacy vinyl. :o

My new haul since I posted that (forgot I already posted the Glitch Mob album)

hi9ZJz9.jpg

You don't want to know how much I paid for that Mondo Tron Legacy vinyl. :o
Nice! Loving the Coltrane!

I discovered something that I think both of us need to add to the top of our vinyl wishlists:
Shirley Walker , Stuart Balcomb , Todd Hayen , Carlos Rodriguez , Michael McCuistion , Carl Johnson - Batman: The Animated Series Vinyl Box Set Url: https://www.discogs.com/Shirley-Walker-Stuart-Balcomb-Todd-Hayen-Carlos-Rodriguez-Michael-McCuistion-Carl-Johnson-Batman-The/release/7873164 Shared from the Discogs App

batbox_press.jpg

:wow:

Yeah I missed my moment to get all of those when they were available. Still, I wish they were able to mass produce those episode art pieces. I would love to to hang some of those.

Caught this on Imgur's front page:

1. Mom and Dad actually had one of these when I was a wee lad.

2. Like... EXACTLY because you see the VW symbol? That's partially why they got one, as a joke, cuz they owned a VW van when I was between 4 and 7.

3. Yes... It messed up records if you used it too often but you have to remember that records on vinyl were, in their heyday... Thought of as disposable in the ways CDs became eventually. Few were thinking about long term care. Also ANY kind of way to bring music that you had control over was cool beans with so few cheap ways to do it.

Yeah I missed my moment to get all of those when they were available. Still, I wish they were able to mass produce those episode art pieces. I would love to to hang some of those.

you can buy those art pieces, but they're not mass produced. they are limited run sets. i see people selling them in a facebook group i'm in all the time.
or you could check out expressobeans too

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"