World The Superman: TAS discussion thread.

Noir

Avenger
Reaction score
Loved it.
I didn't see a thread for it.
So lets discuss it.

I loved the series finale :up:
and Speed Demons was a good episode.
and it was cool to see Lobo on there.

I refuse to watch a series where Superman is stupid and so weak that he goes down every episode.

Batman was excellent, Justice League was good but Superman... boring.

Unfortunately I can't get most of the episodes on DVD because they won't release the box sets here. We did get the first three episodes as a movie on DVD. As well as a single disc which included the classic episode of "The Late Mr. Kent". I wish I could get the rest as well as the Batman (they released Volume 1 - that's it), Batman Beyond and Justice League (plus JLU) box sets.

Angeloz

I refuse to watch a series where Superman is stupid and so weak that he goes down every episode.

Batman was excellent, Justice League was good but Superman... boring.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. This series is what made me a Superman fan again, and it's what a new Supes movie should have been like.

LONG LIVE BRUCE TIMM! :woot:

^agreed, the serie is almost perfection. The very weak Superman disturbed me but I understood the stories wouldn't have been so good with an all mighty Superman. He reminded me of the Superman of the 40es. There was a good balance between Clark, Kal El and superman.
I wish I could name the episodes I like, but I like almost them all : "late Mr Kent" was great, "Double dose" is my favorite, every episode including Luthor are great, "speed demons" was excellent, "fish story" was excellent too! So many ...
:up: :supes: :up:
Good thread!

I'm a huge fan of that series. The watered down Superman concept didn't bother me; it actually made the stories more interesting.

My favorite episode on Vol. 3 of the DVD sets is Knight Time where Superman has to aid Robin in finding a missing Batman by masquerading as the Dark Knight himself.

The exchange between Supes and Commissioner Gordon was just priceless. :yay:

Good times.

I wasn't particularly fond of Superman's powers being watered-down so much, but while I wouldn't want to see it in the comics, it definitely worked for the series. I absolutely loved Timm's version on most of the villains (especially Brainiac)

Overall, it's not my favorite of the Timm cartoons (that would still be the original BTAS by a long-shot, with JLU coming in second), but it's still a really solid show.

Does anyone here remember the Superman Anitmated Series from the late 80s? Does anyone know when that will become available on DVD if at all?

I loved that one too.

My favorite modernization of the mythos yes I even greatly prefer it to both of the post-crisis origin retellings. It took what I consider to tbe the best elements from every single era put em in a blender and liquified them into greatness. Hands down still my favorite Superman adaptation ever only Superman: The Movie comes close. I wish it was still on the air to this day.

Does anyone here remember the Superman Anitmated Series from the late 80s? Does anyone know when that will become available on DVD if at all?

I loved that one too.

Yeah the ruby spears show was very cool I liked how they kept music from the movies.

Yeah the ruby spears show was very cool I liked how they kept music from the movies.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one; happen to know if it's ever going to be available for DVD?

He wasn't weak. Name an episode where is was taken down by something other than Kryptonite, large doses of electicity or someone from Apokolips.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one; happen to know if it's ever going to be available for DVD?

I've seen only bootlegs on DVD and never have heard anything about an official release. It's a shame I would like to have both this and the old filmation Batman animated series on DVD. I have a lot of memories associated with those 'toons.

TAS was/is great. Superman wasn't so powered down, either - he was powerful enough, but took a beating.

Favorite TAS moment: the scene in Knight Time when Superman (dressed as Batman) kicks the crap out of Bane and the other Bat-villains.

Favorite TAS moment: the scene in Knight Time when Superman (dressed as Batman) kicks the crap out of Bane and the other Bat-villains.

Oh yes, that's my favorite one too...

Commissioner Gordon: "Where in Heaven's name have you been?"

Supes/Bat: "AWAY."

Commissioner Gordon: "Away? That's all I get?"

Supes/Bat nods with chin held high. Also notice how Gordon is checking out Superman's massive chin carefully. :funny:

After the exchange it always cracks me up how Superman walks away like Dracula doing the cape thing. :lmao:

That is a four star ep. :up:

Ruby-Spears Superman is MUCH better than Timm's boring version.

"Faster than a speeding bullet"

He wasn't weak. Name an episode where is was taken down by something other than Kryptonite, large doses of electicity or someone from Apokolips.

electricity is one thing. In the Ruby-Spears Superman intro he gets hit by lightning and nothing happens. THAT is the Superman I wanna see. TAS Superman went down every episode against some lame villain.

Even Batman threw him with some kind of Judo trick :lmao: And put a bug on him so he could follow him and find out his secret identity. What a dumbass, this Superman :lmao:

S:TAS was the best show i ever saw and Justice League was awesome too. i mean i don't like that Superman gets taken out easily sometimes but against Darkseid, yeah Superman would have a hell of a time beating him bad, even though he kicked the crap out of Darkseid in "Twilight" on JL.

other than that i loved the show. the team up with Flash, Batman, Green Lantern, Supergirl, etc. were awesome to see especially in "World's Finest". awesome episode but i don't think anything beats "Apokolips Now!"

electricity is one thing. In the Ruby-Spears Superman intro he gets hit by lightning and nothing happens. THAT is the Superman I wanna see. TAS Superman went down every episode against some lame villain.

Even Batman threw him with some kind of Judo trick :lmao: And put a bug on him so he could follow him and find out his secret identity. What a dumbass, this Superman :lmao:

I mean you got to understand that in certain respects they had to adhere to the Byrne, Jurgens post-crisis stuff not just pay tribute to everything else and ignore what was in the comics at the time. To me it's far from boring though and as I said still my favorite adaptation you want to see boring Superman media? just watch certain elements of the last movie.

It's always funny from a hindsight perspective, that there are alot of fans displeased with the diluted strength of the Timmverse Superman when I recall not long before STAS had started on network tv way back that people thought the character had become too boring because he was too invincible and a little outdated.

The Spears series of the 80s was awesome and I hold it in high regard but I think that DC/Timm had to shake the mythos up a little with this venture...IMO, it worked.

It's always funny from a hindsight perspective, that there are alot of fans displeased with the diluted strength of the Timmverse Superman when I recall not long before STAS had started on network tv way back that people thought the character had become too boring because he was too invincible and a little outdated.

The Spears series of the 80s was awesome and I hold it in high regard but I think that DC/Timm had to shake the mythos up a little with this venture...IMO, it worked.

The Ruby Spears Superman hadn't the budget of Timm's version and they had to follow Byrne's Marvelman, but thank god they just made him seem to follow this take but in the end made him still the old Superman. But it was made with love for the character, Timm's Superman was the work of a Batman fanboy. I mean C'MON! In "WOrld's Finest" Bruce Wayne steals away Lois Lane and Superman looks like a pathetic and helpless loser compared to the smart Batman.

Timm's Superman was the work of a Batman fanboy. I mean C'MON! In "WOrld's Finest" Bruce Wayne steals away Lois Lane and Superman looks like a pathetic and helpless loser compared to the smart Batman.

:lmao:

I'd love to ask Timm one day if I ever have the good fortune to meet him...

I mean you got to understand that in certain respects they had to adhere to the Byrne, Jurgens post-crisis stuff not just pay tribute to everything else and ignore what was in the comics at the time. To me it's far from boring though and as I said still my favorite adaptation you want to see boring Superman media? just watch certain elements of the last movie.

Superman Returns was - of course - bad. Not on the technical level.

Even "Lois & Clark" was better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"