The supporting cast thread

Mar-Vell - Ryan Kwanten
Abigail Brand - Sharon Stone would be interesting but I'm still hoping for sigourney weaver
Joseph Danvers (Carol's father) - Matthew settle
Marie Danvers (Carol's mother) - Christine Baranski
Kamala Khan - Waad Mohammed

Mar-Vell- Ewan McGregor
Abigail Brand- Angelina Jolie
Joseph Danvers- Tom Selleck
Marie Danvers- Diane Keaton
Kamala Khan- Waad Mohammed

I'm aware of all that. But the movies generally focus on the main hero before adding any sidekicks or partners. While they're busy doing Carol's origin and establishing her world, they probably aren't going to throw in another superhero with a completely unrelated history and origin. IF they do so it'll be in the sequel or maybe an Avengers movie. In fact it's not just the MCU movie, but basic storytelling in general. It took three movies to get Robin in the Batman series.

But Rhodey was involved from the get go. He wasn't War Machine in the first one, but Jessica Drew can just be a secret agent friend. Thor had the Warriors 3 and Sif in both of his movies. Cap had Bucky and the Howling Commandos in his first movie. It just doesn't seem that weird to include Carol's friend and fellow secret agent, who may not but certainly can have an extended role in the future.

If Jessica Drew is in the solo film then my pick for Jessica Drew would be Gemma Arterton but if Don Cheadle War Machine is going to be in Captain Marvel's solo film then that would make sense but if he is going to be love interest material for Carol then they are going to need to cast someone age appropriate if you know what I mean

But Rhodey was involved from the get go. He wasn't War Machine in the first one, but Jessica Drew can just be a secret agent friend. Thor had the Warriors 3 and Sif in both of his movies. Cap had Bucky and the Howling Commandos in his first movie.

Context is key. It was easy to work in the Warriors 3 because they were warriors like Thor. Rhodey had a logical reason to be there from the beginning because he was the military liaison between Stark Industries and the military. Bucky and the Howling Commandos were in the army with Steve.

None of them were anything that stood out or were unrelated to what was going on with the main character, nor did they take away focus from them or come from a place that required explanation.

It just doesn't seem that weird to include Carol's friend and fellow secret agent, who may not but certainly can have an extended role in the future.

That's the thing. You're assuming Carol will be an agent working with Jessica in the movie. For all we know that might not happen. In fact we know nothing about the plot, so there's nothing to indicate Carol will be a government agent in the movie.

Last edited:
I'd like to see John Jameson as a partner and potential love interest to Carol if they don't go with Rhodey. He's a pilot and astronaut too and it'd be a great way to worldbuild and bring in Spidey fans.

142514-154731-john-jameson.jpg

Last edited:
If John Jameson they cast him in Captain Marvel then who should play him? I would go with Armie Hammer

I want

Mar-Vell - to explain the origin of her power
Rhodey - I don't care if they go for the romantic route or not but he has to be in. He's the closest connection to the rest of MCU she has.
Jessica Drew (her best buddy needs to appear, come one) - Tatiana Maslany
Abigail Brand - Milla Jovovich
Monica Rambeau - Gina Torres
Kamala Khan
Joseph Danvers

I was thinking Samira Wiley might be a really interesting Monica actually and she's close to Brie's age I think so she would be perfect

I am so there to have Tatiana Maslany as Jessica Drew. She would be absolutely perfect.

Sony missed a huge opportunity to use John Jameson in SPIDER-MAN 3 as in the 1990s animated series. He brings the Venom alien symbiote to Earth, it tries to take him over, but his own willpower and the roar of the shuttles engines allows John to shake it off.

Well now that Brie is officially cast, I have a few new thoughts on the supporting cast.

1.) Tatiana Maslany as Jessica Drew remains a great idea. She and Brie would be a fantastic combo.

2.) I'm officially not on board with the Carol/Rhodey romance in the MCU. The age difference is just too much. Still, I would like to see Rhodey and Carol have at least some sort of Air Force buddies bond or something. Since she will almost certainly not be a Colonel like she currently is in the comics, that means he will outrank her, so maybe he could be her commanding officer.

3.) Ellen Wong as Wendy Kawasaki, Carol's loyal ally/assistant and go-to tech girl. A Knives Chau/Envy Adams reunion please. :woot: Seriously though, Wong was great in that movie and should be in more things.

4.) I still hope they can find an organic way to get Monica Rambeau in here somehow. Maybe if Carol's having a hard time controlling the energy portion of her powers, someone in the know can direct her to Rambeau, a "person of interest" from the old SHIELD directory with similar powers who was not a fan of the Avengers and just wanted to be left alone to help her community the normal way in the Coast Guard. She and Carol could form a bond as she helps Carol get her energy powers under control. Monica having had her powers first and taking on a bit of a mentor role could be nice subtle nod to how she was Captain Marvel before Carol in the comics. Or something totally different, I just would love to see her.

Monica Rambeau is a must. I don't think introducing her is someone else's movie would be a disservice to her character (I've seen people saying this before), if anything it's a good way to introduce her to the general audience. She's not getting her own movie anytime soon anyway. Unfortunately.

As for Spider-Woman, I don't watch the show but everybody and their mothers seems to be in love with Maslany's work in Orphan Black, so I'm assuming having her as Jessica would be a pretty good thing, to put it mildly. :hehe:

I'm also assuming that MCU's Carol is not going to have a past working for The Daily Bugle, so Tracy Burke is probably out of the question. I mean, not that she was that important, but still. I thought she was funny.

Angelina Jolie as Abigail Brand

But first they'd have to show SWORD being founded since I don't think it exists in the MCU yet.

I always imagined someone more like Lucy Liu for Abigail Brand. Someone who can be almost comedically no-nonsense.

Monica Rambeau is a must. I don't think introducing her is someone else's movie would be a disservice to her character (I've seen people saying this before), if anything it's a good way to introduce her to the general audience. She's not getting her own movie anytime soon anyway. Unfortunately.

As for Spider-Woman, I don't watch the show but everybody and their mothers seems to be in love with Maslany's work in Orphan Black, so I'm assuming having her as Jessica would be a pretty good thing, to put it mildly. :hehe:

I'm also assuming that MCU's Carol is not going to have a past working for The Daily Bugle, so Tracy Burke is probably out of the question. I mean, not that she was that important, but still. I thought she was funny.

The only female support character who is really a must is Jessica Drew. As far as I know, Monica only showed up in a two issue story, while Jessica has shown up in more Ms/Captain Marvel comics than I care to count. I was just reading Ms Marvel Vol. 2 today(for nostalgic purposes) and guess who Carol was eating lunch with? That's right. It was Carol's bestie, Jessica Drew. Their relationship represents one of the most enduring friendships in the Marvel universe. It would be a disservice to Carol's character if Jessica wasn't in the film.

caroljess-5383.jpg

Last edited:
What about Katee Sackhoff?
^She might be good, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy hearing the cries of "should've been Carol!" that would inevitably come along with that casting, lol.

Overall, while I LOVED her in BSG, I find Sackhoff to be very hit-or-miss in her performances.

^She might be good, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy hearing the cries of "should've been Carol!" that would inevitably come along with that casting, lol.

Overall, while I LOVED her in BSG, I find Sackhoff to be very hit-or-miss in her performances.

I enjoy hearing their cries, but that's because I'm evil. :cmad:

Depending on my mood, I can be downright diabolical and respond with a Chris Evans laughing face.

What? You wanted who as Captain Marvel?

RFiJNyN.gif

The only female support character who is really a must is Jessica Drew. As far as I know, Monica only showed up in a two issue story, while Jessica has shown up in more Ms/Captain Marvel comics than I care to count. I was just reading Ms Marvel Vol. 2 today(for nostalgic purposes) and guess who Carol was eating lunch with? That's right. It was Carol's bestie, Jessica Drew. Their relationship represents one of the most enduring friendships in the Marvel universe. It would be a disservice to Carol's character if Jessica wasn't in the film.

Even then, she's not really a must. Just because Carol and Jessica are close friends in the books doesn't mean there's a place for her in the movie. How would you incorporate her? Make her an agent?

I'd rather focus on Carol and Wendy Kawasaki's friendship instead. She'd be easier to incorporate in a more cosmic focused setting (and could hit similar dynamic beats of Carol/Jessica).

Come on Marvel, let's bring this mutual admiration society to the big screen:

tumblr_obny1oZcYC1thvjv3o2_500_zpsl6ohkx8u.png

tumblr_obny1oZcYC1thvjv3o3_500.png

#MaslanyForJessicaDrew :D

^ Yeah but they're complimenting each other. That is so unlike Carol and Jessica. :o

Ok, so out of curiosity I went and watched a few clips of Orphan Black on YouTube, and though I didn't understand much of what was happening (how many characters does she play on that show? At one point she was even fighting what I assume was her clone? :hehe:), I have to say, from what little I've seen of her acting she does seem to be very talented.

I guess I should've made myself more clear, when I said that Monica is a must I meant for the MCU in general, not specifically for Captain Marvel.
I won't deny that I'd be happy if they found a way to fit her into this movie without it feeling forced, but I absolutely agree with you that Spider-Woman is far more important and should be given the priority.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"